As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Apparently all the late night shows were told at the last minute to have no audience shows. For The Late Show they are broadcasting the show rehearsal. It's fuckin surreal.

Nobeard on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    The late night shows don't really work without an audience. Playing the audience is half the gig.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    The late night shows don't really work without an audience. Playing the audience is half the gig.

Alternatively, what Full Frontal did was the writers didn't show the script to Sam before recording. So it was time for the writers to get the host to crack up.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The Late Show worked, in that sort of 'absurdly playing string quartet on the sinking titanic' sort of way

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

I don't think it would have worked as well if they did it "for real" but Stephen wanted to just use the rehearsal footage and it works. It's nice and casual.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I don't think it would have worked as well if they did it "for real" but Stephen wanted to just use the rehearsal footage and it works. It's nice and casual.

The musical interlude at about 9:30 was just perfect.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Colbert's straight up canceled for the next week, although I believe there was a week off scheduled after that regardless, so the one week break is now two.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Edit: apparently I was wrong

Fencingsax on
    Last week tonight was really good this week. Just a good rundown of where we are with a few laughs mixed in.

https://youtu.be/_066dEkycr4

The whole thing is here on YouTube.

• WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    I too love that hamster...

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Watching all these late nights without audiences makes me realize how much of their comedy is based on audience participation to make the joke work, vs some other comedy shows that have no audiences by design. I’ve never really noticed the difference in comedy styles until the audiences were gone.

Watching Jon Oliver without his audience is like watching a really funny comedian do a punchline to an empty arena; I still think it’s funny, but without the audience, it’s missing that “group experience” thing that I love going to the theater or stand-up for.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Put in canned laugh tracks, best of both worlds

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

I dunno, half the fun of Colbert and Seth Meyers is watching their reaction when a joke lands flat.

steam_sig.png
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    It's weird seeing them without the audience responses, but I'm all about Colbert doing his show while drinking and him and his staff giving each other shit. It has a real loose and informal feeling that I dig.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Foefaller wrote: »

I dunno, half the fun of Colbert and Seth Meyers is watching their reaction when a joke lands flat.

Yeah, part of why I like Meyers and the others is that they feed off of the audience feedback. If a joke sells, they lean into it and make it funnier. If a joke falls flat, they make fun of it or themselves, which is still funny. Either way, the audience feedback doesn’t work with a laugh track.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Watching all these late nights without audiences makes me realize how much of their comedy is based on audience participation to make the joke work, vs some other comedy shows that have no audiences by design. I’ve never really noticed the difference in comedy styles until the audiences were gone.

Watching Jon Oliver without his audience is like watching a really funny comedian do a punchline to an empty arena; I still think it’s funny, but without the audience, it’s missing that “group experience” thing that I love going to the theater or stand-up for.

At one point Oliver paused for a laugh and obviously got none :(

• FryFry Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    It's weird seeing them without the audience responses, but I'm all about Colbert doing his show while drinking and him and his staff giving each other shit. It has a real loose and informal feeling that I dig.

Reminded me a bit of TLLS w/ Craig Ferguson. I miss GP and the Fergs.

Its was interesting comparing Stephen's home monologue with Trevor's. Trevor did a fairly standard session but it fell a bit flat without the audience. Which is a shame as the home setting would be perfect for his between the scenes informal style. Which does rely on audience participation a bit but not all the time.

A Closer Look...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrhH6xIegw

From Seth Myers hallway!

Goddamn this is depressing.

steam_sig.png

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm not sure I get why late night show hosts feel the need to shave.

I mean it seems like so many of them obviously don't want to. Whenever they're on vacation or off the air for a while, the first thing most of them do is grow a beard.

And now that they're filming from home, they're growing beards.

So why not just have a beard?

WHEN DID IT BECOME A CRIME TO HAVE A BEARD?

*strokes beard thoughtfully*

RT800 on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I mean it seems like so many of them obviously don't want to. Whenever they're on vacation or off the air for a while, the first thing most of them do is grow a beard.

It's about keeping a routine, as I have said in other threads.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

World War I. And that's a serious answer. The advent of gas warfare made wearing a beard a literal death sentence for soldiers, which in turn changed the grooming patterns of soldiers, and those changes carried over into civilian life.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The other thing is that, with the advent of HD, many hosts either have to shave multiple times per day or right before the taping starts or they'll look scruffy. So not having to do a show in the same way means they can just...not have to do that. And if you're going to experiment with not shaving yourself smooth twice a day, might as well just go casual and grow a beard.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Sam Bee totally should have been wearing a fake beard last night...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited March 2020
    Kimmel already had a beard, but Trevor is the ur example for why some people don’t grow beards: Trevor’s facial hair makes him look like he just turned 18!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lF355tGAcSM

The Daily Show correspondents are even making fun of Trevor’s “beard.”

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It could also just be an older thing. Every job I've had the management has put some level of restriction on board growth (mostly the only acceptable level is just past a five o'clock shadow). Cause it makes men look "professional"

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Trevor Noah did a Q&A session with Dr. Fauci that was pretty informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3jiM2FNR8

Colbert is not doing the Colbeard this time. 😥

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I really hope Jon Oliver finds that painting

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I really hope Jon Oliver finds that painting

I need this to happen more than I've needed anything for a while now.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've been wanting to go clean shaven for a while. If beards aren't cool anymore, I may finally have the excuse!

H9f4bVe.png
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm just getting used to it but Jon seems to be the best so far at these homemade late night shows.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    ...I think I like Oliver's delivery a bit better when he doesn't have a crowd to play to.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    ...I think I like Oliver's delivery a bit better when he doesn't have a crowd to play to.

He still keeps pausing for laugh.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just getting used to it but Jon seems to be the best so far at these homemade late night shows.

I think Seth Myers is doing even better, but yeah Jon's killing it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Jon Oliver presents Even More News

We'll get back there someday.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

My biggest complaint about Oliver is when he starts yelling. Having none of that now is a gift.