As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quarantivity (or how to stay sane while working from home forever)

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I’ma finish Secret of Mana after 25 years.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Tell me about that game, Greg

Sure thing.

It's a sort of diary game, where you're given randomized prompts to write a response to for your character. You start off just... coming up with a person in history (I think this is the weak point of the game, honestly, it doesn't give you much in the way to start with) and fleshing out a bit of their life - skills, resources, contacts - and then they're immediately turned into a vampire.

And then you just go through prompts. They might tell you to use a skill, or remove a skill, or gain new skills or new resources or whatever. But most importantly, you have to write down what happens in the prompt. Part of the game is based around the limited space you have to store your own memories, and being told to either lose your memories based on what happens to you, or having to lose them just because you've run of space.

There are hundred of prompts, but the randomization method that you traverse through them will push you eternally a little bit forward, and all of the end prompts relate to dying (or whatever). Also there are ways to die along the way, of course.

As a way of example, my character is based on Count Julian of Ceute, who betrayed Christian Spain in order to avenge the abduction of his daughter. I failed in my vengeance though, and instead of killing King Roderic of the Visigoths, I accidentally turned my own daughter. I then fled to Francia for a time, spent a century hunting peasants for sustenance, and began working with a secret society of doctors/alchemists. I fed on their patients until their patients waned, and then was forced to feed on them. I have forgotten about Roderic and my quest for vengeance (as well as my history as a military commander), although I still remember my daughter (and she is still somewhere out there, presumably).

It's a weird interesting thing. I picked it up on Kickstarter, but obviously it's now in print at this time, so there's probably a way to track down a copy.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I’ma finish Secret of Mana after 25 years.

For the longest time this was my favorite game, and is definitely my most played SNES game.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    More Art Sqool

gch14eafwk31.png

ckvsh7cxclbp.png

Majin got an A.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I usually eschew premade materials but this brass birds head on a fallen ash branch is fairly handsome

Many many rubbings of linseed oil and it will get nice and buttery yellow

Yeah I’ve been jerkin it a lot too

Do not jerk off with linseed oil

Well external usage might be alright I guess, it polymerises in an exothermic reaction so I dont think youd want any inside a hole

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Quarantine hasn’t hit here yet, but I have like 10 boxes of gunpla hot and ready to go for when the doors close.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i'm watching felix biederman stream detroit: become human and writing posts for my blog

i was supposed to be job hunting in the next couple of weeks. fucking lol

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I spent a lot of my morning and early afternoon actually working from home, but then the work thinned out, so I made a nice ragu that simmered for like 4 hours and then I tossed it with some fettuccine and had a nice, comforting dinner.

Feel like there'll be more than a few desperate for comfort food meals in the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2020
    I ate dumplings while watching a dumpling making competition and I swear that kind of synchronicity makes them taste better

tynic on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Everyone at work seems extremely confident that all this will be blown over by the end of next week, because that’s our stated re-open date and I have a lot of trouble parsing that logic

Javen on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Everyone at work seems extremely confident that all this will be blown over by the end of next week, because that’s our stated re-open date and I have a lot of trouble parsing that logic

Lack of comprehension of the scale of what's going on, really. Not super surprising.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I've been playing some vidya games - Assassin's Creed Black Flag was on sale, so I picked that up for the PS4, and lemme tell you, I do enjoy me some piracy!
    I also found a British show called Taskmaster. It's free on youtube, and it is pretty goddamned funny. Ostensibly a game show (after season one, they compete for a bust of the host's head), it's really just seeing how comedians interpret various tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT5C7yaO3RVuOgwP8JVAujQ

My favorite task:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpZbeCV9D8

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I ate dumplings while watching a dumpling making competition and I swear that kind of synchronicity makes them taste better

I swear it does too and now I’m wondering if someone has done a study on it

...I would volunteer

• Options
    Keeping in mind that this is a positive thread, please read the following through a humo(u)rous veiwpoint:
    I am also having daily thoughts about when I am going to run out of toilet paper. I had just over two rolls when the shit hit the fan (heh). I now have just under two rolls. I figure a rate of about a roll a week, maybe less, I should be good to the point the supply chain gets running clean again.

But every time I go into the bathroom, I think about. How many days? What will I do if there is no resupply?

Diary, Day 2(-ish?) of social isolation: Just under two rolls. No real concern yet. Just aware of people hoarding, outlook for resupply is good. Buying chili on my food run may not have been a smart choice.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Part of me is both curious and scared as a lot has changed since last week
    I do need to get primer and it was my plan to get both the new door and a bike going to the grocery store as well as the gw store to get it as I hopped I would have my tax returns by now {with the panic over the virus and how oil tanked I highly doubt now}
    I do have the stuff to paint much of what I primed and I can work on some of the projects I planned on doing since it is warmer and I can work with green stuff
    just that oppressive doom is rather overwhelming yet again
    I know I dealt with the lack of money and just sitting in my house over my hellish summer into lean times of the fall and winter I am not fond it has to continue all be it for different reasons

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Dear Diary,

My meals today were: Pork buns, Cha Siu buns, and chips and salsa
    I ventured out to this thing they used to call a "grocery store" and picked up some chocolate chips. The intent was to bake cookies but I may not have enough flour.
    ...I may eat them on their own.

Last night was keyboard maintenance night. I swapped out all the switches on a keyboard to Cherry Browns. Tonight I may solder these brown-like switches to a different PCB I have lying around.

A compound miter saw is supposed to appear at my door this week. I am hoping to use this forced vacation to get back into woodworking, I fell off of it and into a funk a few months back but this is a good chance to learn how to enjoy hobbies other than video games again.

Technically I'm also supposed to be working but motivation is hard to come by.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Keeping in mind that this is a positive thread, please read the following through a humo(u)rous veiwpoint:
    I am also having daily thoughts about when I am going to run out of toilet paper. I had just over two rolls when the shit hit the fan (heh). I now have just under two rolls. I figure a rate of about a roll a week, maybe less, I should be good to the point the supply chain gets running clean again.

But every time I go into the bathroom, I think about. How many days? What will I do if there is no resupply?

Diary, Day 2(-ish?) of social isolation: Just under two rolls. No real concern yet. Just aware of people hoarding, outlook for resupply is good. Buying chili on my food run may not have been a smart choice.

I'm not going to lie, I wish I had your poops. A roll a week? At best I think I could stretch one 3 days, maybe 5 for a jumbo roll.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Weird, I always avoided eating while watching Hannibal for the same reason

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »

I'm not going to lie, I wish I had your poops. A roll a week? At best I think I could stretch one 3 days, maybe 5 for a jumbo roll.

They are some of the newer jumbo rolls. Cottonelle 6=24. Wait, so 1=4? I'm going through 4 rolls of toilet paper a week? :bigfrown:

Wait, I've got some old clothes! Cut them into strips, squares, whatever. I don't have any plastic bags... It's ok, I can sacrifice a trash can. Wait! Yes I do have plastic bags, big trash bags! Twist it up, keep it airtight. Throw it in the complex trash bins as needed.

Problem solved!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I imagine our forum minecraft server is going to see a boom in population!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2020
    Y’all need to do yourselves a favor and get a $20 bidet attachment for your toilet.

Fuck this hoarder tp bullshit, go clean your whistle with a jet of water.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    I've been thinking about it, but under emergent circumstances, that's really not something one can afford to be wrong about, so I would really want to buy local and be able to look at and understand what I'm getting into vis-à-vis installation.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Y’all need to do yourselves a favor and get a $20 bidet attachment for your toilet.

Fuck this hoarder tp bullshit, go clean your whistle with a jet of water.

I told that to a customer who was outraged we had no toilet paper last Wednesday night
    He said he has no skill at a plumbing. I point out it's a drop in unit showing him on my phone home despot has it
    He calls me a liar and storms off grumbling pushing several people

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    inspired by this thread, i'm going to start keeping a journal of these weird days.
    i completed most of my work from home stuff already. still have to work on my taxes. ugh.

today i worked on creative projects, like a forum game for CF, and also started picking up music again.
    i'm not great at either of these things.

i also caught up on my home beauty routine, which is de minimus, but it felt nice.
    don't forget to moisturize your overly-washed and drying hands, oh citizens of the world! it's for safety, too!
    i should probably do my brows, but also literally no one but my partner is going to see them.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Working from home today, preparing a poster for a conference that will now be entirely virtual! Not sure how that's going to work. I'm going in to work tomorrow but that will probably be it for me for a while.

My 'home office' set up consists of a better computer with a better screen, a wooden desk that my arms don't stick to like they do the plastic one in the office, a window that actually opens, and the freedom to have drinks at my desk and play music without headphones. These are the sacrifices I make for the greater good of the nation.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I never really leave the house anyway because I don't have a job or a driver's license so this isn't much different. Internet and video games all day/night, go to bed between 4-6 AM, wake up between 12-1 PM.
    I fucked up my neck somehow about 2 weeks ago, pinched/damaged nerve, and my right arm, neck, and both shoulders won't stop hurting. I've started PT for them, or more accurately shifted my normal foot-focused PT to a neck-focused routine, but I'm scared that I shouldn't go. I went once but every day I want to go less and less.
    My parents went to go see 1917 2 days ago, the last day before all the movie theaters closed. I really hope they don't get sick for their sake and mine, since if they have it I'll get it.

Today we went out to pick up some ATV parts my dad bought from some guy on facebook, mom and I never got out of the car but Dad and the guy were just chatting and definitely shook hands. Then we hit up the KFC drive=thru for dinner. I shouldn't be scared but I am. I'm really really scared.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I made a schedule for myself so that I don't melt and fuse to the couch. I have a minimum of three weeks off before I go back to work. So far this morning:

7:00 - woke up via alarm and didn't go back to sleep
    7:30 - exercise using Fitness Boxing because my ring-con is broken and I can't use Ring Fit Adventure without it.
    8:15 - shower, get dressed in real clothes, not pajamas
    9:00 - watched a proko video, did some gesture drawings
    10:00 - it's 10 right now, leisure time! I get to play games or watch youtube for an hour

At 11 I need to do some chores like laundry or clean the bathroom. At 11:30 I'm going to walk to the grocery store, scope out the situation.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Today’s activity between work is Dangerball.

It’s like dodgeball, but all the time no matter where you are on the ship, and there are no points, or teams, and the ball is full of sand.

Dangerball!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I made a schedule for myself so that I don't melt and fuse to the couch. I have a minimum of three weeks off before I go back to work. So far this morning:

7:30 - exercise using Fitness Boxing because my ring-con is broken and I can't use Ring Fit Adventure without it.
    10:00 - it's 10 right now, leisure time! I get to play games or watch youtube for an hour

At 11 I need to do some chores like laundry or clean the bathroom. At 11:30 I'm going to walk to the grocery store, scope out the situation.

Scheduling has been very helpful for me! I made little lists of fun stuff, productivity, workouts, and ways to be kind to other people. I've got timeslots for workouts and productivity specifically, and the rest I can just fill in as I go. The list setup has been nice to let me change out what productive thing/workout I want to do based on the weather and my mood!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I should be drawing but instead I usually just stare at my phone watching the world burn down in real time and wishing I had bought booze.

i have some "watermelon" flavored gin that i will be happy to go on a wacky state-to-state journey to get to you. i will take my companion chimp for extra nutty

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    two more days and I can start wearing both my contact lenses again and I can do some Beat Saber cardio

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My work never set me up with work from home despite me asking multiple times over the past year. So now I'm wrapping up a few things and then going home for 8 work days, for now. So I won't have any work to do at all. I guess I should get my Thesis worked on, I have like 10 days to take all my research and write it up so this gives me ample time. Bonus if I get it done quicker, I can then do like Rank and get to mini-fig painting.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

How'd your Ring-Con break? I want to avoid that at all costs!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I should be drawing but instead I usually just stare at my phone watching the world burn down in real time and wishing I had bought booze.

i have some "watermelon" flavored gin that i will be happy to go on a wacky state-to-state journey to get to you. i will take my companion chimp for extra nutty

Have you checked on your local microbreweries, Juggs

Several of ours are doing delivery to your door

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Instead of going to the store I am learning to make a sort of rudimentary pasta out of last seasons acorns

• Options
    acorn noodle soup, called dotoriguksu (도토리국수; "acorn noodle") in Korean, is a noodle soup consisting of Korean noodles made from acorn flour

Well I'll be dipped

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular

How'd your Ring-Con break? I want to avoid that at all costs!

I left it on the bottom part of my end table that's pushed right up against my heater. It was sitting there for several weeks and I don't skimp on my heat. When I finally picked it back up, the plastic on the top was a little warped. The joy-con still snaps in, and it can detect motion, but it doesn't register pushing or pulling the ring. I ordered a new third party one.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Ah I was worried it was just like regular use snapped it. I've got a little bin to put it in that seems safe.

I guess if I did shatter the ring-con mid exercise I would feel very strong though.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options