As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ottawa player has tested positive

:so_raven:
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Comrade Gritty?

Gritty hates Nazis and antifa hates Nazis. It's a Twitter thing

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Senators have announced a second player has tested positive.

Interesting bit I read elsewhere....that’s now four sports organizations (Avs, Sens, Lakers, and Nets) that have had positive tests and all four were in the Staples Center just before the stoppage.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Has there been any news out of LAK?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I miss sports.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I miss sports.

I haven't been the best about making time to actually watch sports for a while now, so

I miss you guys telling me about sports.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    I saw one of those memes about missing sports the other day. The punchline was a picture of the old lady from Titanic saying “it’s been 84 years” but the opening was “how 2 weeks without sports feels”. And I’m like.....wait, what? It’s only been 2 weeks?!?!?

I work in grocery so I’m still considered essential, so it’s still business as usual(ish) for me. I can only imagine what it feels like for anyone isolating/quarantining/out of work.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    As an Isolated, Stay at Home Dad, this is killing me! What hurst most of all is my damn reminders that pop up on my computer to tell me when a Game is supposed to start thanks to subscribing to the Lightning calendar.

50433.png?1708759015
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I miss sports.

u6wsa2741wyc.jpg

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    A second Avalanche player has tested positive.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    While looking through my DVR for a recent recording, I just realized that I have 18 recorded NHL games that I haven't watched. I now have hockey, albeit old, but still hockey.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Did you all hear that NHL.com has all its full library up for free viewing?

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I did not, brb

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Did you all hear that NHL.com has all its full library up for free viewing?
    WE'RE SAVED!

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So Fox Sports Detroit is airing the '97 Finals. God, how did I like this sport as it was played in the 90s? Nobody could move anywhere because everyone was just latched on to each other.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNsDFROA7U
    As a Sharks fan this is far too true

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Assuming the season is just canceled, does anyone have an idea of what that means for the draft?

If we think the nhl makes weird decisions now, check this nonsense.

Somehow Vancouver beginning it’s nhl life in the east had totally escaped me. WTAF!

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The probably wanted to keep all the Canadian teams together??

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    That's my guess. And the North Stars were the furthest West team in the Western Conference.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    That's my guess. And the North Stars were the furthest West team in the Western Conference.
    LA Kings are a bit more west

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Only slightly

California as well
    The Golden Seals. They were a thing that existed.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    That's hilarious. As a little kid in the late 80s it confused and angered me that in the NFL, New Orleans and Atlanta were in the NFC West while Dallas and Arizona were in the NFC East. I was a huge map nerd and I couldn't understand why they would make such a basic mistake and just leave things that way. It infuriated me

They eventually fixed all of that except the Dallas part, and now I know exactly why they leave things that way.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yeah, the league hasn't always been good at the conference alignment. Some of it was of necessity based on what they wanted to do, some of it was stupid.

Plenty of examples over the years.

When they first expanded out of the original 6, the "new 6" teams were all in their own conference/division, which guaranteed one of them a berth in the Stanley Cup Final. That was good for those teams, but that's the genesis of how you ended up with the conferences looking like they did in the Canucks' first season in 70/71. The Atlanta Flames in their early years were also int eh West Division. West/East was more a "groups of teams" thing, which is why they ended up renaming them to Campbell and Wales conferences in the mid 70's.

For example here is the league alignment in 74-75 and 75-76. This looks more like how MLB and NFL are currently set up, with conferences that spanned the continent, not west/east.

4c5jzl1gudbj.png

They didnt' actually align the league into something resembling east/west until the early 80's.

Then, you had a good many years where teams like Toronto and Detroit (and even later on Columbus) were in the western conference. Remember the epic LA/Toronto playoff series in 1993? Yeah that was the Western Conference Final. Think of this. The Leafs didn't actually move into the eastern conference until the 98-99 season, and Columbus and Detroit were in the West until 2013.

My personal favorite of the recent past is when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg and played in the the Southeast Division until the league and the PA could agree on how to realign the divisions into what we have now.

Here's a wikipedia article on the history of the NHL alignment. It's actually super fascinating stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_organizational_changes_in_the_NHL

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

California as well
    The Golden Seals. They were a thing that existed.

I know of the Golden Seals as they were eaten Sharks it's why they keep choking one of the many reasons

Very important hockey news!

Also, I guess, the NHL has a plan for a draft or something

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Jesus that beard added 30 years. I always assumed he was just some old wickie that washed up on the Californian shores and accidently got drafted into the NHL.

That was an awful beard, glad he’s starting over.

Burtletoy wrote: »

Wait, who gets what pick isn't just set?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    NBA and NHL have a lottery.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Is there a points system for fights? Or like a site that scores them?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Is there a points system for fights? Or like a site that scores them?

There was, once upon a time. Fare thee well, dropyourgloves.com.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    I don't visit it, but there's hockeyfights.com
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if they have some kind of ranking system.

This discussion has been closed.