As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dan brought the hot chip to the New Day Podcast and ruins two men's lives
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zb18oO_vsI

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ooh, a Doom Eternal Quicklook.

...hosted by Brad...

...Featuring Brad, and only Brad...

Damn you, Coronavirus!!!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ooh, a Doom Eternal Quicklook.

...hosted by Brad...

...Featuring Brad, and only Brad...

Damn you, Coronavirus!!!

Seriously, should've had Jeff on there remotely.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    How old school of them. Quick Looks used to be solo and actually quick. And hell, they had commentary after the fact.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Johnny V is one of the hosts of the new Nintendo Indie World showcase, if you wanna hear him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHUIV8DYptQ

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh boo he's not in front of the camera at all

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Since when did we decide Bubble Bobble is a bad game?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Yeah, I was thrown off when I saw clips of Abby and Vinny playing it and declaring it to be a bad game. It's not a favorite of mine by any stretch, but I'm not willing to call it bad.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I dunno, the game controls like dogshit. I'm willing to call it a bad game that I still enjoy playing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I think I'll label bubble bobble as a game that aged poorly.

That music loop is insanity inducing at the very least.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2020

it's bad because they aren't playing Bust-A-Move, the superior Bub and Bob game!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I don't think Bubble Bobble is varied enough to play for 100 levels, however I see nothing wrong with its controls (and the song is great). I mean, if we want to retroactively declare all games with deliberate controls and mechanics designed around them, like the entirety of the G'n'G series, to be dogshit we can go there I guess.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The Bubble Bobble music is burnt into my soul

It's probably going to pop into my head moments before I die

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    You know, Bubble Bobble occupies the same spot in my brain where Adventures of Lolo resides. Games that were "acclaimed" in the magazines back in the day but I never really liked.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Bubble Bobble's enjoyment is heavily dependant on having a second player. My borthers and I played way too much of it growing up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Unlimited continues combined with unlimited time as a kid means I played a ton of Bubble Bubble with relatives.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Watching Jan discover Bloodborne and find out piece by piece how the systems and world and whatnot works is pretty awesome.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I think he said he's never played a soulslike before so yeah it's interesting seeing him figure out everything.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Watching Jan discover Bloodborne and find out piece by piece how the systems and world and whatnot works is pretty awesome.

I just can't. It's a me problem, not a him problem, but when I watch people who are not steeped in Soulsboornekiro knowledge my backseat gamer takes over and I just can't. I'm super glad he's enjoying it though. Bloodborne is still in my opinion the height of From's powers and I think he chose wisely on which game to finally jump whole hog in to.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I just can't. It's a me problem, not a him problem, but when I watch people who are not steeped in Soulsboornekiro knowledge my backseat gamer takes over and I just can't. I'm super glad he's enjoying it though, Bloodborne is still in my opinion the height of From's powers and I think he chose wisely on which game to finally jump whole hog in to.

I wonder if he'll make it past Gascoigne or give up there. That's the real test. If you can make it past Gascoigne, you have enough of a handle on the systems in the game to make it through the rest of it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Watching the Cleric Beast fight, he's just not aggressive enough. I get the extinct to do that, but I wish chat would tell him that he needs to be way more in the Cleric Beast's face, circle dodging his feet, etc.

The good news is that Bloodborne will teach you this or you will quit. There is little in between. Either you learn to be aggressive and take the fight to the enemy or you'll just get super frustrated and not want to play. It's one of the things I think Bloodborne does much better than Dark Souls. It forces you to confront the way the game wants you to play and reprimands you with failure if you don't start to take on a more aggressive stance.

Hugo Martin talks about this a lot with Doom 2016 / Doom Eternal. Doom 2016 was too forgiving on allowing the player to play "wrong" and still be successful. I think there's a clear parallel there between Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Man there's a barrage of games coming out that I want to play and I still haven't cleared my backlog. Trials of Mana, Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 3, FF7R. And I'm still playing DQXI.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Man there's a barrage of games coming out that I want to play and I still haven't cleared my backlog. Trials of Mana, Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 3, FF7R. And I'm still playing DQXI.

Is it even possible for one to clear a backlog? I just buy new stuff and hope I'm invested enough to finish it as I wander through life in a malaise.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah, near the end of Bloodborne Identity episode 2, Jan had just figured out that parrying with the gun was a game mechanic.

It's actually a little surprising how little he knows about the game even from cultural osmosis (he was surprised that you couldn't pause the game like you can in modern Souls-likes, like Sekiro and Nioh)

But he knows from Sekiro that you have to be aggressive and "get up in that ass" so there's still hope.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

ben building gunpla while hanging out in skype with jeff, vinny and brad.

e: or https://www.giantbomb.com/chat/ if you're cool

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Huh, apparently Abby has nude/lewd art on her wall. Neato.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    like a proper new yorker

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Man, I think Doom Eternal is going to go the same route as Hitman 2. Depending on what comes next this year, I doubt this one makes it even to the top 10.
    I'm no pro gamer, but I think they went a bit overboard in the difficulty department. I don't recall having THIS much issues in Hurt Me Plenty. I'm currently past the Cultist Base but we'll see.

I mean with all the free time I have between juggling homework with my kids and Covid, Doom has been fine.

• Options
    It sounds like "No, you're playing it wrong" was a design philosophy this time around. Every interview says they made this one more combat puzzle-y and balancing plates, whereas they found DOOM 2016 too easy for people to just stick with one gun and never stop using it.

They went Sekiro with DOOM Eternal.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    IMHO that works if you have time to think about the situation. But the mobs here are too relentless. Also, not only do you have to switch your weapon, you have to have the correct mod which also takes time. Add to that a bunch of them are hit this spot with a precision weapon while zoomed in and it's asking quite a lot more than Doom 2016.

• Options
    I'll add that even Sekiro doesn't ask you that much. Well to my skill level at least. You usually have to select from 3 situations against bosses vs where I'm at in Doom: 5 weapons with 2 mods each (except the Super Shotgun), or grenade, or flame.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hey here's me, an old man yelling at shareware: That does not sound like DOOM to me. 2016 stuck that amazing balance but unfortunately sure sounds like they went too far with this one.

• Options
    I'm playing Eternal at the fucking easiest level and it's still a challenge but I'm having fun instead of feeling frustrated. Would recommend

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Interesting

I'm going full hermit during my isolation

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Everything I've heard about Doom Eternal so far makes it sound good, but very much Not For Me (tm).

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The main thing I've noticed about Doom Eternal is that whoever wrote it seems to have really liked the story in Diablo 3. "Doomslayer! This demon will be your end! Ah, I see you have destroyed my mighty demon. Nevertheless, this new demon shall be your undoing. Ohoo, foiled again! But, this next demon..."

reVerse on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The main thing I've noticed about Doom Eternal is that whoever wrote it seems to have really liked the story in Diablo 3. "Doomslayer! This demon will be your end! Ah, I see you have destroyed my mighty demon. Nevertheless, this new demon shall be your undoing. Ohoo, foiled again! But, this next demon..."

x41n6n9gd2yo.jpg

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.