As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest] 19 years of misery and memories.

1161718192022»

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Yeah, you can choose to start in your normal home city if you have a paid sub but otherwise you start in Crescent Reach.

Firiona Vie is one of the more populated servers, presumably because of the special ruleset. There is also Brekt, which is basically the same but doesn't have as long a history, so the economy isn't so screwed up. If you want a higher population Live server, Xegony and Luclin seem to have the most players. None have many people playing below level 100 though.

You can't transfer Vet Rewards (or get them back if you delete a character), but if you check your entitled time using /played, you get one to use for every year you played. I have 17 years entitled time even though I created my account in 1999 but also didn't play for 10 years, so I have no idea how they're calculated.

I think they only added vet rewards for up to so many years, and after that you don't get anything else. I could be wrong though, I haven't looked into it

they stopped making new rewards at like 14 or so i think it is, but you still accrue a new availability to give them to a character every year

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Yeah, you can choose to start in your normal home city if you have a paid sub but otherwise you start in Crescent Reach.

Firiona Vie is one of the more populated servers, presumably because of the special ruleset. There is also Brekt, which is basically the same but doesn't have as long a history, so the economy isn't so screwed up. If you want a higher population Live server, Xegony and Luclin seem to have the most players. None have many people playing below level 100 though.

You can't transfer Vet Rewards (or get them back if you delete a character), but if you check your entitled time using /played, you get one to use for every year you played. I have 17 years entitled time even though I created my account in 1999 but also didn't play for 10 years, so I have no idea how they're calculated.

I think they only added vet rewards for up to so many years, and after that you don't get anything else. I could be wrong though, I haven't looked into it

they stopped making new rewards at like 14 or so i think it is, but you still accrue a new availability to give them to a character every year

I believe I did /claim on my Berserker once... is that the Vet rewards thing? Is there a way to tell if my character has gotten any vet rewards?

I'm afraid of cleaning out any of these alts as of yet -- some are from when my best bud in high school used my account to mule stuff though, so... I'm up to 7 character slots thanks to the +3 from the loyalty vendor, so I'm 9 of 7. Buying the 3 additional character slots is tempting but honestly having went through the tutorial yesterday not sure I'll be diving too much into it, heh.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I'm still having a lot of fun on one of the most recent progression servers, but they do need a paid sub to play on. The Velious expansion hits Mangler around the end of the month, should be fun - I'm only playing very casually so still only 41 myself but should hit 60 before Luclin hits with any luck.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Man, I don't know if it's because I'm on a Ryzen 3700X with a stupid amount of ram, or it's because I have the game on a pretty beefy SSD now, or if they just finally got around to optimizing the game, but the thing loads a lot better than I remember. Outside of the timeouts when trying to connect to servers, that is.

Went through all the Free To Play Servers to see what characters I have.

My highest is Kromdor, a L75 Dwarf Berserker on Povar. Second highest is Dagedan, a L56 High Elf Bard on Xegony.

Have... 3 different Necromancers from 11 to 23, each of a different race on a different server. Three beastlords, too, again on 3 different servers. Man, I was obsessed with soloing.

Since Povar used to be... Moren Rasp and Quellious, which I used to have characters and alts on, I have 9 characters that have ended up on Povar, need to clean those up since I can't really login with them. I don't know if there are any veteran character rewards I should get from old characters before clearing them out or what. Any thoughts? I guess if nothing else I should mule all their gear.

Looking at the server list, one stood out -- Trakanon. Apparently they created it back in 2010 as a "new" server, non progression. I was trying to figure out why it was the only server that never got merged. You can apparently transfer off for free but no one's allowed to transfer to it. (And a quick search suggests that the server's effectively dead, even for F2P servers.)

Edit: Oh, F Vie never got merged either. Apparently it's... a RP server (but no one cares), but has double XP and there's no such thing as an item you can't trade?

Edit2: LOL, the game forces you to start in Crescent Reach now. No more Iksar newbie experience.

loading time improvements are almost certainly thanks to the SSD, that's what SSDs do, make things load fast

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

I believe I did /claim on my Berserker once... is that the Vet rewards thing? Is there a way to tell if my character has gotten any vet rewards?

I'm afraid of cleaning out any of these alts as of yet -- some are from when my best bud in high school used my account to mule stuff though, so... I'm up to 7 character slots thanks to the +3 from the loyalty vendor, so I'm 9 of 7. Buying the 3 additional character slots is tempting but honestly having went through the tutorial yesterday not sure I'll be diving too much into it, heh.

/claim is for bonus items they’ve given out as promotions over the years /veteran will let you claim vet rewards on a character. you can tell if you have them or not in the AA window (I think V by default to bring it up). as a note: they don’t work on progression servers until the server has reached the expansion they began in, which i think is gates of discord

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Just hit 42 on my pally on Mangler over the weekend and man, that second stun makes holding agro sooooo much easier.

Still having lots of fun in my 3-4 hours a week.

Ding, 50! Only 2 expansions late, but hey.

• Fractured_VeilFractured_Veil Registered User regular
    Trying to fight off the monster campers was slightly less terrible than falling off a dock and trying not to drown more than 5 times.

Survive and thrive in the deadly wilds of Maui 2122.
    I gotta say, while the boats between continents were great for making the world feel big and building community (I mean, you could be leaving Butcherblock at the same time as a stranger and arrive in Freeport as friends forever), having gnome teleporters instead makes the game much more playable.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    (stolen from Reddit)
    They've erected a memorial in EK.
    nsqj9enf5uyr.png
    When you click on the tomb a note comes up saying 'Thank you for making our lives here possible.'

• DavidDawnDavidDawn Registered User new member
    Loved that game, was my first MMO :biggrin:

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    So, news has come from Daybreak regarding not just Everquest: They're splitting into three studios, each supporting one of Daybreak's titles: Darkpaw Games is the studio assigned to oversee nothing but the EQ franchise, while Dimensional Ink will run DC Universe Online and Rogue Planet Games will run Planetside.

Haven't heard any news regarding H1Z1, though.

Source material here.

I'd like to think that this means they're not done supporting the franchise- I'm also hearing rumors of another mobile version coming out, and especially that there's another big project in development for the franchise, as well. Some are saying it could be EQ3, others are saying it's going to be a BR game (which I think would stick a goddamned fork in the franchise), but I'm just happy they haven't given up.

It also sounds like this is happening, mostly to get the Daybreak name off the projects, as well- I mean, apart from the Darkpaw name being a classic EQ meme all on its own.

As far as everything else, Daybreak is still going to be the publisher of all three games; you'll still need to create a Daybreak account to play any of the games, and they'll still handle the payment and cash shop stuff so the studios don't have to.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    After putting it off forever while we got a few levels, finally took a friend with me to do the last fight for my pally's SoulFire about a week ago. Turned out fairly anticlimactic - managed to pull Lucan by himself and think I only needed one heal while I tanked him.

Still felt like a big moment, mostly because I remember being part of doing that fight for a guildie when it was an 'all hands on deck' situation.

Now on the Fiery Avenger and epic (as my guild has already moved onto major Luclin targets).

So we are now up to 21 years of misery and memories! 2 new time-locked progression servers announced to be coming, sounds like both will be similar to Mangler but with some differences still to be announced, other than one will allow multi-boxing. It sounds like Mangler has been far and away their most popular progression server in ages, so it's not surprising, but it is a bit disappointing in that there will inevitably be a bunch of people jumping off Mangler to go through the classic -> PoP experience yet again.

Also, ding 60, still a bunch of expansions late :)

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I don't really get how some people can keep going back to the classic -> PoP experience, I did it back when it first launched (well Kunark -> PoP anyway, I started a bit late) then did Classic on Lockjaw but the utterly abysmal raiding scene caused me to quit, and then Classic -> Gates of Discord on Coirnav. That is absolutely enough of the starting experience for me. If they did something where you started at like Velious (or maybe Kunark) with all classes unlocked from the start (even Berserkers have planar elemental gear so the itemization exists, might require some tweaking of epic weapons I guess but even then not really) and possibly using the Firiona Vie rules I would consider it. It would also definitely have to include the Agents of Change because I don't have the time / desire to poopsock open world contested raid targets (the lack of raid instances really killed Lockjaw for me, I quite liked that server otherwise).

I get that it makes monetary sense for them to put out new progression servers regularly, but it does tend to really drain the player base of the previous one when they do. Oh also they need to not have LDoN last for 12 weeks, it needs to be folded into the PoP/Ykesha combo because the launch of LDoN always sees a huge drop in players on a progression server, partly because of it effectively making PoP 24 weeks long but also because that tends to be when a new server opens. If instead LDoN started 4 weeks into PoP and didn't extend the 12 week duration of that expansion, you'd see a lot more people go into GoD and OoW.

But that's just me rambling. I always hear that OoW and beyond is really good, but I just couldn't maintain interest after the mind-numbing combo platter of LDoN followed by GoD.

steam_sig.png
    They have shortened LDoN to 8 weeks for Mangler which is at least a start. I remember grinding a lot of dungeons there and looking forward to trying them as a tank actually, but I think 8 weeks will be plenty. I'm also only getting one or two decent sessions in a week, if I was playing every night I'd probably feel differently

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It's an improvement for sure, but that is still 5 months where the top raid content is Plane of Time, and in my experience the vast majority of players are there for the raiding experience. Still, credit where it is due, that is an improvement.

steam_sig.png
    Well, I've had a lot of fun, but I think I'm about done with EQ, maybe even for good this time.

The RL friend who dragged me back in is taking a break for a while. The guild I'm in is full of great people, but due to time zones I barely see them. The guild focus has changed from being a social guild who got stuff done as needed to now working on getting everyone flagged for PoTime, which means even when I can get online at the same time as others they are generally in zones I don't have access to. I think it's just the point in the progression where the gulf between casual players and raiders means it's effectively a separate game.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So today my very first EverQuest character turns 21 years old! He's old enough that he could legally drink in the USA! I keep the game installed and occasionally launch it to run around and indulge nostalgia, but I haven't had any real desire to play it in years. He's still only level 67, whereas the current cap with the latest expansion (expansion 27!) is 115 lol

135856140_3726420990714424_5681778658839084482_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=nRdVKqKLv64AX88eDoT&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=c2af9acae08d8e4a745275da24e5beda&oe=6017F5C7
    135600089_3726421037381086_2135307520100761886_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=b73OwThnD8oAX-_Pf03&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=f685b154e300c11a7f16bd77f8fe67e4&oe=601ACED4

JtgVX0H.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere to read the lore these days? I saw they're still pumping out expansions, so I'm curious how things are gong in the story.

Yes, yes, I know.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    My first turns 21 end of august this year.

My wife and I played a couple months this last year, started from scratch, made it to low 70s. Was a fun mix of nostalgic locations for leveling, and exploring new areas. Defiant gear does make the nostalgic side of things pretty hilarious and easy, heh. It's still fun to romp around in for a bit now and then. I kinda doubt I would like it much long term at max level anymore, though.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I still duck in on occasion, and the thing is... I think it's just plain better to go in as a group, and to join up on the busiest server- but then again, it's also fun to go back to the old zones and just do a lot of things like see how you can trash a lot of the enemies that used to give you so much trouble.

It sucks the auction houses are still pretty dead on most servers, and guilds are nonexistent at this point, though...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?