As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Living like introverts: a [COVID-19 lockdown] survival resources thread

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Any of ya'll old Mtg players that gave up on the cardboard scene because of poor local support or just feeling priced out, Arena is goddamn fun. I've got multiple decks that would cost literal hundreds in paper magic, entirely free (I haven't spent money since rotation so most of the cards I 'bought' aren't included in that).

Can you play against AI or do "campaigns" or something?
    I don't really like playing humans in games like this.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    What other games are good online for nongamers?

Jackbox games and online Codenames and pictionary type games so far.. any other good online board games or simple games to do with friends?

(In other news, a local club / event space that i like is both doing online streams of dance music and other content e.g. https://nowadays.nyc/ )

I will never not hype the shit out of Star Realms. It's a deckbuilder available on mobile, Steam, and as an actual card game. It's easy to learn, has a great meta to master from set to set, has a TON of content for cheap, and I think the base game is free. I'm pretty sure your purchases from one version carry to another version too (excluding the physical card game).

@Shazkar Shadowstorm Ticket to Ride is both an excellent board game and has a digital version with good online play.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Jackbox games and online Codenames and pictionary type games so far.. any other good online board games or simple games to do with friends?

(In other news, a local club / event space that i like is both doing online streams of dance music and other content e.g. https://nowadays.nyc/ )

I will never not hype the shit out of Star Realms. It's a deckbuilder available on mobile, Steam, and as an actual card game. It's easy to learn, has a great meta to master from set to set, has a TON of content for cheap, and I think the base game is free. I'm pretty sure your purchases from one version carry to another version too (excluding the physical card game).

"Shazkar Shadowstorm" Ticket to Ride is both an excellent board game and has a digital version with good online play.

Ooh, does it? I played a few rounds of that when I was visiting my mom for Christmas and really enjoyed it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

"Shazkar Shadowstorm" Ticket to Ride is both an excellent board game and has a digital version with good online play.

Ooh, does it? I played a few rounds of that when I was visiting my mom for Christmas and really enjoyed it.

It works cross-platform in some combinations, too. I tried it with my Android phone and Steam on my local network and it worked like a charm. Not sure if it can do that online, but worth looking at.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Any of ya'll old Mtg players that gave up on the cardboard scene because of poor local support or just feeling priced out, Arena is goddamn fun. I've got multiple decks that would cost literal hundreds in paper magic, entirely free (I haven't spent money since rotation so most of the cards I 'bought' aren't included in that).

Yeah, it's a fun way to play for free. You're still probably gonna get stomped by random try-hard decks, though. That's just the nature of card games, I guess.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Also, Tabletop Simulator on STEAM has a ton of free mods for a wide variety of games, including whole pre-set draft tables for MtG if you don't have cash for Arena.

Cards Against Humanity is entirely supported on the platform.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Cooking is also something people should be thinking about. Gotta prep your own meals as restaurants are shut down, it's a good life skill to have anyway, could be something different to do with the kids, or if you just need something chill and relaxing you can watch some Townsends cooking videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-yHbbrKRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXbloUoWow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJyGJUgAI_U

Townsends! That guy is so rad, I've been meaning to make some of that mushroom ketchup he did an episode on way back but keep getting side tracked on other stuff.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    good suggest on ticket to ride
    i have it on my phone

poo
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Hell yeah you can. There's a tutorial and then bot matches.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My mom is a figure skating coach.

She's putting daily exercises and videos up for her students on Facebook, for them to practice their skills at home and keep busy.

I recommended she make them public so they can be shared. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    What's the best thing on Netflix to make your coworkers watch during a remote watch party?

Space Jam? Dragonheart? Twin Peaks? Bee Movie? Black Mirror: Bandersnatch?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    What's the best thing on Netflix to make your coworkers watch during a remote watch party?

Hey, I liked Dragonheart.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Me too! And Twin Peaks!

I wonder if the interactive elements of Bandersnatch work over the extension.

• Options

Me too! And Twin Peaks!

I wonder if the interactive elements of Bandersnatch work over the extension.

Bandersnatch doesn't work cause holy shit is that way too long

• Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    Any resources for activities for children? One of my friends is a child care worker and is looking for resources that have simple projects for kids to do or drawing lessons. They aren't the best with technology but can put youtube videos on.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Klein wrote: »
    Any resources for activities for children? One of my friends is a child care worker and is looking for resources that have simple projects for kids to do or drawing lessons. They aren't the best with technology but can put youtube videos on.

have levar burton read to them

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Scholastic Learn at Home should keep them busy for a while.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Klein wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5XMF3Inoi8R9nSI8ChOsdQ

These guys do drawing lessons, usually with Dad and one of the kids or with Mom. The camera focuses on their page, and they draw cartoony stuff, popular characters, etc. in big sharpie markers.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This should be interesting.

My dad hates exercising. While for me it's an obesity thing, for him it's Parkinson's, and if he stops moving he is going to degenerate quickly. So my Aunt has been taking him to Rock Steady Boxing for the last couple of years.

Obviously that is the definition of "high-risk" in groups.

So the instructor is putting the classes on Facebook. And my Aunt is going to try and get that on the big screen TV so dad can be focused on exercise rather than being confused about what he should be doing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    We should get some asymetrical play mobile games going

Lords of Waterdeep, Argicola, Star Realms

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    We should get some asymetrical play mobile games going

Lords of Waterdeep, Argicola, Star Realms

Player of Games has that one in it...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Thank you guys so much for the suggestions, I sent them her way. Any more resources are welcome, there is a lot of time to fill.

Klein on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Beastars, to see how they react to it

edit: do not actually do this

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

No.
    The bot is an idiot as far as I know.
    Like the starter decks beat him.

It's not a pleasant grind going from no cards to a functional deck without paying any money.
    I'd say it takes at least a third of a year to cross the desert between starter decks and being competitive with the lowest ranked decks that get played.

I'd suggest playing that other one that just got released.
    Legends of Runeterra.
    I haven't played it, and I still think it's better than Magic.

I can get my Magic fix watching YouTube videos of another guy beating himself up against meta decks while trying to get his own jank going.
    Has the advantage of outsourcing the pain of deliberately playing bad for the joy of deck building too.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

No.

It's not a pleasant grind going from no cards to a functional deck without paying any money.
    I'd say it takes at least a third of a year to cross the desert between starter decks and being competitive with the lowest ranked decks that get played.

Legends of Runeterra.

I can get my Magic fix watching YouTube videos of another guy beating himself up against meta decks while trying to get his own jank going.
    Has the advantage of outsourcing the pain of deliberately playing bad for the joy of deck building too.

I dunno, I literally haven't bought anything since Ixalan rotated out. You can easily get a pack a day. Plus weekly reward packs, and free track battle pass packs, gives you a lot of cards and wildcards.

I've been running an off meta Niv deck with like 9 uncommons and 15 rares (7 of them being dual lands) and the win rate is about 60%. That is totally doable on a free account. Especially if you ditch the duals (you could just go with some common taplands instead).

Bo1 gives you some sort of rarity matching so you can avoid the whales that way, or try and get up through bronze, where most of the Jeskai Fires and RDW should already be way past.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    With all this talk of MTG:A, I'd also like to recommend Legends of Runeterra. It's like a Magic/Hearthstone hybrid set in the LoL universe. The game is absurdly friendly to free-to-play players by giving out a lot of the card collection. There's no random packs to open, just progression and unlockables through regular play. There are 6 regions (think mana colors in Magic) and you can mix up to two regions for your deck.

The gameplay focuses a lot on combat tricks, which are spells that can be used on your attackers/defenders once blockers have been assigned. Depending on the speed of the spell (Burst = no response, Fast = response, Slow = can't be used in combat, response) you can change the outcome of battle. There's also an Arena/draft mode called Expedition which allows you to draft buckets of 2-3 cards with alternating synergy and varied options. Even better, you get two drafts for each Expedition run, with the higher win result (up to 7 wins) netting you your rewards. Each run guarantees a Champion (the Legendary cards of the game).

Lots more info in our LoR thread. Seriously, if you're looking for a solid CCG with little randomness, give the game a try.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

No.

Legends of Runeterra.

I was having fun on Arena almost immediately. It took a day or two to unlock everything they give you for free for beating the tutorial challenges, and they give you a surprising amount of stuff. I'm getting packs and wild cards fairly regularly through the Theros mastery track, and have been having a good time so far.

I heartily recommend it for anyone who likes Magic or thinks they might want to give it a try.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    my company is offering their literacy product free for individual users
    https://www.achieve3000.com/community-resources/remote-learning-2020/#online-content (click on literacy at home)

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If you want something to binge or nice steady background noise, the wife and I have been watching a play through of Rimworld that's one part Hannibal Lecter, two parts National Geographic, and just a tiny skosh of The Thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUk4IzwHXcQ&list=PL_lgEqY9K6UXUVco5XysDNAeUnCqSFcqS&index=2&t=0s

If you're not interested in casually observed cannibalism it's not for you.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    If you're looking for a live music fix tonight, Willie Nelson's Luck Reunion is streaming a lot of roots/americana/country artists starting now, and going until maybe midnight central.

http://luckreunion.com/tilfurthernotice

Lucinda Williams, David Ramirez, Kurt Vile, Paul Simon & Edie Brickell, And of course Willie with his sons are some of the highlight names performing tonight.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

No.

Legends of Runeterra.

I was having fun on Arena almost immediately. It took a day or two to unlock everything they give you for free for beating the tutorial challenges, and they give you a surprising amount of stuff. I'm getting packs and wild cards fairly regularly through the Theros mastery track, and have been having a good time so far.

I heartily recommend it for anyone who likes Magic or thinks they might want to give it a try.

How did you go about building your not-starter decks?

• Options

No.

Legends of Runeterra.

I flipped through all of the cards I was given and made a deck that made the most sense to me. Tweaked it over time as I learned what worked and what didn't and as I earned new packs, cards and wildcards. It's been fun.

• Options

No.

Legends of Runeterra.

I flipped through all of the cards I was given and made a deck that made the most sense to me. Tweaked it over time as I learned what worked and what didn't and as I earned new packs, cards and wildcards. It's been fun.

Tweaking to get an Orzhov life gain is good. Gruul/Temur adventures. You can do some Izzit control and that works in Bo1.

• Options

No.

Legends of Runeterra.

Tweaking to get an Orzhov life gain is good. Gruul/Temur adventures. You can do some Izzit control and that works in Bo1.

Yeah, I started with mono-White life gain based on the cards available, and it was fun right off the bat. Over time it's become Orzhov life gain just through the splashing of some black removal spells/creatures.

• Options

No.

Legends of Runeterra.

Could just be me, but when I started MtG:Arena the decks that I built that made the most sense to me consistently lost to all the other decks which had better cards for that archetype, or the archetype wasn't played at all and got beaten soundly by everything else.
    So when I talk about the desert between starter decks and being somewhat competitive, that was where I needed more time to craft more rare cards.

I've seen others struggle with that time period too, and I'm surprised that you didn't experience it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow night at 730pm (so 230am EDT) the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra will be live streaming their concert for the start of this years Beethoven 250 celebrations.

This should be available through the RNZ Concert online music player, RNZ Concert's Facebook page, and potentially also the NZSO's facebook page. The orchestra will be performing live, in an empty hall.

• Options
    edited March 2020

No.

Legends of Runeterra.

Could just be me, but when I started MtG:Arena the decks that I built that made the most sense to me consistently lost to all the other decks which had better cards for that archetype, or the archetype wasn't played at all and got beaten soundly by everything else.
    So when I talk about the desert between starter decks and being somewhat competitive, that was where I needed more time to craft more rare cards.

I've seen others struggle with that time period too, and I'm surprised that you didn't experience it.

I mean, I was just playing in the regular old play queue for quite a while before even considering ranked play. And while there are certainly plenty of tuned net decks practicing in Play, there are also plenty of weird and fun decks to play against.

Also, if I knew after two cards exactly what deck I was playing against and how little fun it would be to play, I'd just hit concede and move on to the next one. What'd I waste, 40 seconds or so? A minute? No big deal. Well worth it for all of the good matches and good times playing Magic again for the first time in over 20 years.

My lifegain deck had almost no rare cards in it for a while, and it was fine. There was an event at one point that was Artisan Standard or something like that - Standard legal decks using only common and uncommon cards. I only had to make minimal changes, and the Artisan version of my deck was a holy terror compared to others I went up against. I kept playing well after getting the number of wins needed to max the prizes out because my win percentage was absurd and I was having a great time.

Ketar on
  • Options
    With March Madness cancelled, a lot of folks in my circle are going through bracket withdrawal. I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to create some sort of pop culture Superfight bracket for people to bet on, the "matches" determined by votes, with the votes being open to the public so it's not just the people betting on the bracket who are voting.

Iron Man vs. Pikachu. Betty White vs. Darth Vader. Mario vs. Gollum. Who is the ultimate fighter?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    With March Madness cancelled, a lot of folks in my circle are going through bracket withdrawal. I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to create some sort of pop culture Superfight bracket for people to bet on, the "matches" determined by votes, with the votes being open to the public so it's not just the people betting on the bracket who are voting.

Iron Man vs. Pikachu. Betty White vs. Darth Vader. Mario vs. Gollum. Who is the ultimate fighter?

Just get drunk and Saltybet

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA