As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Blake T wrote: »
    Due to gifts, we have accidentally stockpiled like 400 of them.

Actually, it’s 1,260 baby wipes still in packaging. All given as gifts over the past 2 months.

So uh we got lucky.

We also have a big stack of reusable wipes that I wet as needed with a spray bottle. Very handy for tougher jobs and it helps keep our disposable wipe usage down at 1 per change.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    We're a bit light on wipes too but can last a couple of weeks. Hopefully stockpiling will have calmed down by then

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    A friend's birthday party just got cancelled. Which, totally correct thing to do. But it's the little things that can get to you

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    UK Gov just announced that all schools are closed except for children whose parents are "key workers", who will continue to go to school so their parents can work

As usual with this shambles of a government there's no actual clear guidance what constitutes a "key worker" so now we're in limbo whilst my other half's head / trust decide which members of staff are going to be necessary to keep teaching. She's head of Science and on the leadership team, so we just have no idea at all at the moment

We're going to set up a little desk for him, meanwhile, so he's got somewhere specifically to "work" when the inevitable happens and we go into full lockdown. He was excited about having somewhere to put his pencils and sit and read / write. We're concentrating on trying to make this something fun for him, so at the very least he feels safe

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Christine is a dispenser at Boots so we think she might be counted as a key worker but no one is telling us.

I've got a farm to run and obviously in times past that would definitely have been considered "key" but probably not now.

May have to ignore HSE guidance on not having children in, on or near a tractor in any way.

Prolegomena on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Nursery is shut until further notice.

I can't work from home but my wife can so we'll just have figure it out as we go along.

Not sure how payments are going to be sorted going forward. They'll send another email soon apparently.

Obviously I don't want to pay for sessions we don't use but in the other hand I don't want the nursery to shut down or staff go unpaid.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Hey so update:

On Monday we were told by the health department that the person tested positive for corona. At this point my wife was in the isolation unit with my son, she told our oncologist and the team. Nothing really changed but we're all hyper focused on my son, checking his temps every few hours (and hers too). They were discharged from the hospital after he cleared his chemo, so we've been isolating ourselves at home, on the precipice of panic about this stupid virus.

Then, the health department called yesterday afternoon to tell us oops whoops, that was another person who was positive, not your person. Your contact tested negative. Sorry about that.

Never been so annoyed and relieved at the same time. We're still self-quarantining but to our knowledge none of us has been exposed at all.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Omg Khan Academy kids gives you rewards for completing assignments. One of the rewards is musical instruments which you can play in the fox's room.

Today's instrument? A keytar. And when you click on it, it plays a synthwave riff. I love this app.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Obviously I don't want to pay for sessions we don't use but in the other hand I don't want the nursery to shut down or staff go unpaid.

Yeah, I'm ok to pay April 1, but after that I'd really prefer not to, though I can afford to since we aren't losing income. Most especially since I already wanted to change daycares in May. I really hope the actual stimulus package will help with that.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, it turns out my 2 year old is struggling with what exactly "work from home" means. Every 30 seconds I get a "Hi Papa!" and I feel so bad not responding.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    And my child minder has just confirmed she also has to close.

I hope the government are going to be able help her out as it's a heavy loss of income

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So, it turns out my 2 year old is struggling with what exactly "work from home" means. Every 30 seconds I get a "Hi Papa!" and I feel so bad not responding.

When mine were that young, I just let them play on the floor of my office. Some blocks, cars, or Duplo can usually keep them occupied for the duration of a conference call.

edited March 2020
    My wife's work, despite being a huge faceless corporation, has been surprisingly good about children being around whilst they work from home.

They sent an email out letting everyone know that children are to be expected in meetings from now on and that they should be introduced to everyone on the meeting :P

Someone had their dachshund sat in front of them in a meeting this morning so that's all my wife could see ha.

Still no luck with baby wipes. Plenty of those cotton clothes so I've got some as a last resort.

SharpyVII on
    Elvenshae wrote: »

When mine were that young, I just let them play on the floor of my office. Some blocks, cars, or Duplo can usually keep them occupied for the duration of a conference call.

My office is sort of where we dump all the things we don't have the time to put away properly, so its a giant pile of things she shouldn't be playing with. Including cleaners, and a machete I forgot I owned.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

My office is sort of where we dump all the things we don't have the time to put away properly, so its a giant pile of things she shouldn't be playing with. Including cleaners, and a machete I forgot I owned.

Now would be an awesome time to address that, then? Plus, since the company is requiring you to WFH, you can probably even swing it during working hours.

Alternatively, it is time for her to BEGIN HER TRAINING. :D

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

Now would be an awesome time to address that, then? Plus, since the company is requiring you to WFH, you can probably even swing it during working hours.

I mean, we would, if we had somewhere else to put the things that are getting piled in here...

Josh Gad (Olaf, from the Frozen movies) is reading bedtime stories on his Twitter feed every night.

https://t.co/2BYy5IlODv

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Since I'm at home with Charlie we've been trying to stick to something of a schedule so that we can get some learning done, have room to explore things, I can get work done, and we can coexist peacefully and happily in the new daily setup.

One of those things we've implemented is a morning walk. 1/3 mile to the park, two laps at 1/3 mile each, and 1/3 mile back. While out, we find a nature thing, take a picture, and do a journal entry about it. Here's our first two days so far!

Erin The Red on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Me: Hey dude, it's alright to get up now...well that's a funny look! What's up?
    Little Man: (serious, slightly strange look...turns towards me and I see he's chosen Where Did I Come From? as his nap time reading)
    Me: Oh...well, uh, you know if you have any questions, momma and me are here to answer them right? Anything you want to know, you can ask...whatever.
    LM: (nods solemnly, then flips to a page in the book, you already know which one)...So, did you and momma do....that?
    Me: Well, uh, I mean....yeah? We did?
    LM: (turning back to stare at the page in fascination and abject horror)......*huh*

Sorry about your innocence, little buddy, 2020 has been real rough on everyone

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Me: Hey dude, it's alright to get up now...well that's a funny look! What's up?
    Little Man: (serious, slightly strange look...turns towards me and I see he's chosen Where Did I Come From? as his nap time reading)
    Me: Oh...well, uh, you know if you have any questions, momma and me are here to answer them right? Anything you want to know, you can ask...whatever.
    LM: (nods solemnly, then flips to a page in the book, you already know which one)...So, did you and momma do....that?
    Me: Well, uh, I mean....yeah? We did?
    LM: (turning back to stare at the page in fascination and abject horror)......*huh*

Sorry about your innocence, little buddy, 2020 has been real rough on everyone

"Let me tell you, little man - it fucking RULED."

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Bubs is in her ring sling fast asleep on my chest. She’ll start stirring the second she notices I’m just sitting on the couch eating... but then I can get up to put on some laundry and then give the house a quick vacuum, which ~should~ lull her back to sleep. This is a flawless plan that will not go wrong in any way whatsoever.

Vivixenne on
    edited March 2020
    Poonami. Into her bouncer and all up her back.

I’d popped her down after she woke up (she did make it through laundry, not quite to vacuuming) to look after the dog, and then SPOOSH.

At least it wasn’t while she was in the ring sling! But now the bouncer is out of commission while the lining is washed, she absolutely does not want to go back into the ring sling, so I’m stuck on the couch holding her until sleep takes her, because she’s screaming when her head touches the bassinet.

woo parenthood

Vivixenne on
    Turns out I'm classed as a "key worker" by the government so the nursery said my son's place is still available.

Basically in the UK schools and nurseries are only staying open for children of key workers such as police and NHS staff.

We've decided to keep him out of nursery however as we just want to keep potential exposure to a minimum.

It appears that my kid's after school program is trying to pivot to online. And I don't want to seem selfish, but I really don't want to do it online. I also paid extra for bussing home (which of course isn't happening) and a cooking class that we probably can't do with what we have in our apartment. Looking at paperwork, we probably have no recourse for a refund. I'm thinking the dance and art class the kids were signed up for on the weekend will try the same thing. I get that they want to get paid, but offer a partial refund? At least for the bussing? Made up my mind about what we're not signing up for next year, though.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Our daughter got accepted into the bilingual preschool we were really really hoping for! The school has grades all the way up to fifth, so this is awesome news.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Turns out I'm classed as a "key worker" by the government so the nursery said my son's place is still available.

Basically in the UK schools and nurseries are only staying open for children of key workers such as police and NHS staff.

We've decided to keep him out of nursery however as we just want to keep potential exposure to a minimum.

I'm also apparently a key worker (ventilator stuff) but Burpette's preschool will be basically desserted and staffing might be a challenge.

We may just keep her home

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    kLPlxYQl.jpg

Freddie is definitely staying off. My other half isn't needed in school except on an occasional rota basis maybe so we've set up somewhere that he can work. Or, at least attempt to work anyway

We set up a little reading area, too. Put a clock up. Some pictures. All the things we should've done when I finished the loft a year ago but hey

Had to box up a ton of stuff off her extra desk and move some things around but seeing as how we don't know when the schools will reopen it's worth it I think

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It appears that my kid's after school program is trying to pivot to online. And I don't want to seem selfish, but I really don't want to do it online. I also paid extra for bussing home (which of course isn't happening) and a cooking class that we probably can't do with what we have in our apartment. Looking at paperwork, we probably have no recourse for a refund. I'm thinking the dance and art class the kids were signed up for on the weekend will try the same thing. I get that they want to get paid, but offer a partial refund? At least for the bussing? Made up my mind about what we're not signing up for next year, though.

Yeah, between 2 months of preschool “tuition” and sports fees at the Y we’re probably going to be out like $750 for services not rendered to our 4.5 year-old by the time this is over.

It could be worse, but it still sucks.

edited March 2020
    Happy World Down Syndrome Day!

Today my Littlest turns EIGHT. She was asking for all her friends to come over this morning but we had to explain it was just a party with family this afternoon. Quarantines are no fun when you're eight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFbD5Yf3C_o

DisruptedCapitalist on
    Staying home sure is going well
    https://youtu.be/Ky0U5G8i0aE

That kid's gonna win an Oscar some day. Just you wait.

My kids got to experience their first ever blanket fort.
    1latnwxeyrmd.jpg
    lpw0zegps43e.jpg
    skjjvh1mc740.jpg
    by5u1aoavi8j.jpg

I even managed to get my daughter to take an afternoon nap, but it HAD to be in the fort. I'll take it.

Then we got an email saying her school (Bright Horizon in Kirkland) is closing until further notice. So we're deciding on how to move forward, whether to let my daughter stay with grandma or with us. For the time being, we'll see how both at home plays out, and if it's too much, we'll send her to grandma. Naturally, this happened:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Oh hey, we almost went to that very same daycare! Toured it ~6 months ago and everything, but then I switched offices so it wasn't convenient anymore.

Steam profile
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I think it's the same principle where like, if you're juggling some chainsaws around, adding another one will help with balance, or something? At the end of the day, your children are *still* analogous to active chainsaws (well, mine are)

kime wrote: »
    Oh hey, we almost went to that very same daycare! Toured it ~6 months ago and everything, but then I switched offices so it wasn't convenient anymore.

This is sad and disappointing news. Clearly you need to switch offices again.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

This is sad and disappointing news. Clearly you need to switch offices again.

I mean, preschool is coming up this fall so there wouldn't be much time :P

Steam profile
    So he's scared of grass?7j60i81aja69.jpg

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I've read somewhere that babies that young have a hard time compartmentalizing (maybe the wrong term?) their sense stimuli. Perhaps why they're so ticklish?

So, imagine me running four fingers across your chest. To you, that feels like one grouped movement across your skin. To a baby, they feel four distinct sensations. Now, imagine thousands of blades of grass! Sensory overload.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment

I mean, we would, if we had somewhere else to put the things that are getting piled in here...
    So he's scared of grass?7j60i81aja69.jpg

Sapling at 2 and a half is still scared of grass. Although she's scared of a lot of things. The most upsetting recently has been swings, which she used to love, but something about the lack of stability or something keeps causing her to panic.