As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I recommended in this thread that hospital towels are good lint-free kitchen towels, is that what you mean? You can usually buy them on Amazon.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    YES! Perfect!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone know the code for low voltage speaker wire in basement ceilings going next to insulation?

You want in-wall rated cabling, I think CL2? It needs to be in wall rated in most jurisdictions and insurance adjusters will fuck you if you skimp pennies and there's a fire if they find non in-wall rated cable. Some locales require conduit or plenum rated cables, check local building codes or reach out to the local building inspector for guidance there.

Something like this usually complies with code:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3846

I reviewed the National Electrical Code which was the link given by my local government website and it looks like CL2 at least 12 inches from existing wires to prevent feedback.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Alrighty so things are settling down in my new place. I come to you all for assistance! Ok so it seems with all the shenanigans going on, my shopping/upgrade plans have changed a bit. I'm getting a lightly used dishwasher from a friend for free when they upgraded to a Miele so that takes care of that. My folks and that same friend advised me to hold off on upgrading my water heater even though it's 12 years old (it's a bradford white) and pretty much wait until it breaks or something. Does anyone recall how expensive it is to do just a straight swap? I'd like to do a bradford white again since the inspector and several other folks I talked to say they're pretty much bulletproof, but they're only sold through direct plumber sales and not a big box store and I kinda want to see what that would run me or whether it'd be cheaper just to have someone come out and inspect it and maybe swap the heating element and panel to extend the life of it.

Next, vacuum recommendations. My vacuum died the first day I pulled it from storage so I need a new one. I've got a 50/50 mix of carpet bare floor and no pets so anything that'd work well that's not too heinous would be good. Finally, anyone got any recommendations for finding a Murphy Bed? I want to get one of those set up for the 2nd bedroom so my folks/guests can come visit when this whole corona thing blows over.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    for vacuums I always recommend Dyson

those things last and last and last

I've repaired and cleaned the one I've had for 18 years now and (give or take a couple years) and it still picks up after a german shepherd with an anxiety problem

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I've repaired and cleaned the one I've had for 18 years now and (give or take a couple years) and it still picks up after a german shepherd with an anxiety problem

Id recommend a shark myself. Super reliable and easy to fix as well, and seemingly very reliable at like half to a third the cost.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Alrighty so things are settling down in my new place. I come to you all for assistance! Ok so it seems with all the shenanigans going on, my shopping/upgrade plans have changed a bit. I'm getting a lightly used dishwasher from a friend for free when they upgraded to a Miele so that takes care of that. My folks and that same friend advised me to hold off on upgrading my water heater even though it's 12 years old (it's a bradford white) and pretty much wait until it breaks or something. Does anyone recall how expensive it is to do just a straight swap? I'd like to do a bradford white again since the inspector and several other folks I talked to say they're pretty much bulletproof, but they're only sold through direct plumber sales and not a big box store and I kinda want to see what that would run me or whether it'd be cheaper just to have someone come out and inspect it and maybe swap the heating element and panel to extend the life of it.

Next, vacuum recommendations. My vacuum died the first day I pulled it from storage so I need a new one. I've got a 50/50 mix of carpet bare floor and no pets so anything that'd work well that's not too heinous would be good. Finally, anyone got any recommendations for finding a Murphy Bed? I want to get one of those set up for the 2nd bedroom so my folks/guests can come visit when this whole corona thing blows over.

https://www.mieleusa.com/e/canister-vacuum-cleaners-1016468-c

Talk to anyone who works in vacuum repair or anything like that and they're going to recommend a Miele. Hell, there is even a guy who used to do huge reddit AMAs and this is what he always ended up recommending. I don't have one (yet) but I always like canister styles for my hardwood floor and four damn cats. Bagged is always preferred over non-bag for hair and dust collection and disposal.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    If you go Dyson check Overstock. I’ve got two Dysons from there for under $200 and they’ve both lasted years (we left the old one at the last house for the new owners to use, which is the only reason I’ve bought two.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the tips folks. Definitely going to check out Dyson or Miele (though I can pick up a shark right now without having to wait for shipping which is tempting.) and Bed bath and beyond keep sending me 20% off coupons to use so that might be worth a look (though 400 dollerydoos for a vacuum is nuts...I've never spent that much on a vacuum before)

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Bed Bath and Beyond will never stop sending you those coupons.

Ever.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Id recommend a shark myself. Super reliable and easy to fix as well, and seemingly very reliable at like half to a third the cost.

Shark is the poor person's (affordable) dyson.

I have 2 and they are great, super easy to maintain. Super powerful.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Also I want to make it clear, I love me some Dyson, but I would never buy one full price. There are deals to be had. I'm currently waiting to snag a deal on one of the cordless ones that hang on the wall. we have a few uses cases where it would be EXTREMELY useful, but not enough for $300-400 useful.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I just bought a house! So now I’m in the house thread :)

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »

Welcome, fellow house-owner! You may now be invested into the Secret Mysteries of House Ownership.

Bring ye forth one plunger, a fire extinguisher, and that hex-wrench-thingy-you-can-never-remember-where-you-put-but-totally-need-right-now. Raise your plunger in your right hand, and repeat after me ...

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Welcome, fellow house-owner! You may now be invested into the Secret Mysteries of House Ownership.

Bring ye forth one plunger, a fire extinguisher, and that hex-wrench-thingy-you-can-never-remember-where-you-put-but-totally-need-right-now. Raise your plunger in your right hand, and repeat after me ...

"It will always break when you least expect it,
    It will always break when you're out of town,
    It will always break when your wallet can't bear it,
    Such is the way of homeowner town"

• Options
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

This may take some getting used to: if you hear someone stomping around on your ceiling, call the police.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

This may take some getting used to: if you hear someone stomping around on your ceiling, call the police.

Sound advice - I’ve been apartment living for sooo long

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Go cordless for vacuums.

We have a Miele corded model and it’s fine (and technically might have more suction). But we also have a v11 and do you know what it’s better? Getting the vacuum, not worrying about plugging it in, pulling out the the cord, then cleaning and doing the entire thing in reverse to pack it away and repeat every time the cord is at full extension.

It might not seem like much, but it’s a mental barrier that stops you from getting the vacuum out for a small mess. I had wanted one forever and Vivienne resisted saying we didn’t need one, we had it for two days and she was convinced in its value. Now I can just get my vacuum, turn it on and put it away and not have to worry about setup or pack up.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Go cordless for vacuums.

We have a Miele corded model and it’s fine (and technically might have more suction). But we also have a v11 and do you know what it’s better? Getting the vacuum, not worrying about plugging it in, pulling out the the cord, then cleaning and doing the entire thing in reverse to pack it away and repeat every time the cord is at full extension.

It might not seem like much, but it’s a mental barrier that stops you from getting the vacuum out for a small mess. I had wanted one forever and Vivienne resisted saying we didn’t need one, we had it for two days and she was convinced in its value. Now I can just get my vacuum, turn it on and put it away and not have to worry about setup or pack up.

What's the battery life like? Most of the reviews I've read say to stay with corded of there is a lot of pet hair / deep carpet / large Sq footage of carpet.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    We have a four bedroom house with three carpeted rooms and we have never run out of battery (and I think not below 50%)

We got the fancy version and it says it has 48 minutes of charge time, but it is also intelligent and will automatically increase its vacuum while it is on carpet. So if you have carpet the total cleaning time is less.

Blake T on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I maintain that the Miele is way more powerful, but the Dyson makes frequent cleaning so easy that you don’t need as powerful a vacuum if you’re just vacuuming more often. Think I’ll still bust out the Miele for heavy jobs like spring cleaning and such, but yeah the Dyson is my go to... ESPECIALLY since the last few times I’ve vacuumed, I’ve had to have a baby strapped to my chest, so the ease of use is worth the money right there.

And yeah no issues with battery life so far, even with the non-stop shed machine that is our greyhound.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    I've never had a vacuum cleaner I hated less than my Dyson. No cords, I can just vacuum whenever the dark spirits inside move me, and it charges while I hang it on the wall out of the way.

And it doesn't get that weird ozone smell you get with plug-in vacuum cleaners, or at least the ones I've had.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I've got a Dyson ball I got for cheap on a black Friday years ago that we use for the carpets upstairs and a cordless Dyson for the laminate and tile downstairs. I'd highly recommend both. They're more expensive but like you said they last forever. Other vacuums I've had would break after two or so years.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Also I want to make it clear, I love me some Dyson, but I would never buy one full price. There are deals to be had. I'm currently waiting to snag a deal on one of the cordless ones that hang on the wall. we have a few uses cases where it would be EXTREMELY useful, but not enough for $300-400 useful.

We have a v10, and the big thing is that it makes using the vacuum much less painless. No cords, no lugging - just grab and go. And that means that you'll actually use it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I used to, too. Our DC11 barrel vac is still a beast. They've been "value-engineering" all the quality out of their products for years now though.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I have a Miele, outside of having to plug it in (oh the horror) it's excellent. Also it has a real long cord so I can do most of the house from one plug. The only issue is that I had to get the grey one because the red one was more expensive due to the additional attachments it came with that I didn't need. Same vac, just different colour to denote the additional kit. So I'm vacuuming slower than I could be. Other than that though, real good.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I like not having to plug in my Dyson because sometimes there's an annoying bug flying around the ceiling and I have to wake up my wife by chasing it down with the pole extension to suck it up.

Also cords are really irritating on chores you have to do over and over. Getting a cordless vacuum or weedwhacker at least doubled the rate at which I'm likely to use them, probably more.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I like not having to plug in my Dyson because sometimes there's an annoying bug flying around the ceiling and I have to wake up my wife by chasing it down with the pole extension to suck it up.

Also cords are really irritating on chores you have to do over and over. Getting a cordless vacuum or weedwhacker at least doubled the rate at which I'm likely to use them, probably more.

As my small motor yard appliances wear out the plan is to replace them with electric versions that share the batteries my tools use. My end goal is to just have the big riding mower and a good 24" chainsaw be gas powered. Everything else should be electric.

• Options
    So much work already before even moving in. Home Depot is out this morning measuring to give me a quote on replacing all the carpet with wood laminate. Also the one patch of grass is overgrown so gonna buy some lawn shears today.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions all! I ended up going with the Shark Lift-Away professional as Bed Bath and Beyond had it on sale + a 20% off coupon made it pretty attractive price/performance wise. I've been on a tear this weekend with projects getting my new home livable.

-Multiple trips to home depot to get things like fire extinguishers and other supplies for the projects this weekend. Internally seethed at people's lack of social distancing.
    -Picked up several light switches to hopefully fix the ones that are busted around the new condo.
    -Picked up a used Bread Maker from Facebook Marketplace since I figure I'll have time to make my own pizza dough and homemade bread I guess.
    -Installed an additional shelf in the laundry room to better stick cleaners/knick nacks out of the way
    -Installed some shelves above my computer desk to better free up desk space for my dual monitor setups and move my modem/nas drives off and away from my typing keyboard.
    -Picked up a lightly used dishwasher from my friend after he got a new Miele ($1500 dollar dishwasher WHAT?!) as part of his kitchen remodel. It's a samsung and a bit dirty for being in storage for a year, but he claims it works just fine and hopefully should be a lot quieter than the ancient Frigidaire that came with my place and saves me the cost of buying a new dishwasher.
    -Got a stud finder to help with the shelving and learned about drilling pilot holes in studs.
    -Installed a bike hook for the bike my brother gave me.
    -Set up new pillows and a throw blanket for my couch and am currently trying to figure out how to lay a rug in my carpeted living room that won't bundle/crunch under the weight of my heavy metal coffee table I got from him as well. Apparently double sided carpet tape is a thing? Does that work at all?
    -Continued unpacking and cleaning up around the condo. Pretty much only have the 2nd room which will be my workshop to unpack and secure my gun cabinet to the wall.
    -Drove into my job for the weekend to collect things and computer parts I'll need to work from home as the building officially shuts down and disables access starting today.

I didn't' realize how tired I was after I got back from my office. I figured i'd take a nap around 4:30 saturday afternoon and ended up waking up at 12:30am Sunday morning. I fell back asleep and woke up around 8am fairly refreshed but completely gobsmacked I ended up so tired.

And finally made some homemade American goulash to cap off the Sunday. A full weekend of homeyville!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guyz I think I should use the upcoming stimulus check to buy some laying hens and a coup and run. Change my mind.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Shan't.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    That in terms of stimulating the economy a really good one. Lots of tools from different places and if you get locally sourced timber that would help other folks.

• Options
    I think I already talked myself out of it. As cool as it would be to have another source of my own food, getting chickens means essentially getting more pets and we already have three cats. Even if these would be outdoor pets only, they would take a lot of care. And even in the shade Texas can get insanely hot in the summer, a small coup might not really be enough to properly care for them. Plus the neighbors have a dog that barks at all hours, that would stress them out. So, sigh, probably not.

• Options
    Ah-hah! It was I, the master of reverse psychology, this entire time!

You're welcome.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    washer broke

It's super clogged (or possibly clogged with a dead pump motor). Not the best turn of events =/

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    What are you doing washing a dead pump motor, especially one that will clog your washer?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    <--- Legitimately funny.