As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attention to Orders: Penny Arcade's [Military Thread] is Open!!!

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    You have become the very thing you swore to destroy!

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Hah, I think that might be a joke. Make up a random sing songy song about seabees and go for it. You’ll be fine

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Hah, I think that might be a joke. Make up a random sing songy song about seabees and go for it. You’ll be fine

Oh no, there is most definitely a Song of the Seabees. And I saved our Seabee selects by knowing it.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Well, knowing things is what CTs are for, right?

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Does "bzzz bzzzz bzzz bzzz bzzzzz" count as a song?

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Quid wrote: »
    mosssnack wrote: »

Oh no, there is most definitely a Song of the Seabees. And I saved our Seabee selects by knowing it.

Haha, oh, fair enough.

Your situation reminded me of a story a buddy told me. Him and some other selects were asked to sing the Seabee song by their cob and they didn’t know it. They were screamed at and told to go figure it out.

So yeah, they came back the next day and sang a made up song about Seabees! The cob just sorta muttered “uh, yeah, ok. now get the fuck out”

Must have just been a classic case of asking for a lookup about something you don’t know shit about

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The Air Force is dividing up the cyber officers even futher:
    17SA: Offensive Ops
    17SB: Defensive Ops
    17DA: Network Support
    17DB: Expeditionary Network Support

:(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    That seems needlessly specialized.

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Expeditionary Network Support? So an entire AFSC is just deployed now?

I need to find some 17 series guys to explain this to me. If “Civil Engineers” don’t get our own for DIFFERENT ENGINEERS like electrical, mechanical, etc, I have a hard time seeing how this makes any sense.

edited August 2019

Part of the move was that the Air Force realized that they actually do need officers to get technical and that they need to stop trying to snuff out young officers' technical passions.

But what the hell tech savvy person is going to sign up for Expeditionary Network Support? They have enough trouble retaining them as it is. I will merrily waltz on over to the private sector if they think I'll spend a decade focused on the desert.

Cantido on
    Cantido wrote: »

Part of the move was that the Air Force realized that they actually do need officers to get technical and that they need to stop trying to snuff out young officers' technical passions.

But what the hell tech savvy person is going to sign up for Expeditionary Network Support? They have enough trouble retaining them as it is. I will merrily waltz on over to the private sector if they think I'll spend a decade focused on the desert.

Yeah that's a really odd choice.

Ours know it's a possibility to have to do that stuff but it's just one tour and then they're off to wherever.

Also the idea of an officer focused on cyber operations being dissuaded from the technical prob is just... huh.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Ideally it's a deployment to a pay phone in the New York subway with your custom-sprayed laptop.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Hack the planet! Hack the planet!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    edited August 2019
    Note that the glorious Cyber Ops guys absolutely need to deploy every now and then so they can provide localized network defense (or offense) in hot spots. I didn't mean to downplay that.

Cantido on
    I'm done.

Finished Chief season with a broken wrist and still had a blast.

My feet are in horrid agony.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Yaaaayyyyyyy! Congrats!

PSN: jfrofl

Yeah that's a really odd choice.

Ours know it's a possibility to have to do that stuff but it's just one tour and then they're off to wherever.

Also the idea of an officer focused on cyber operations being dissuaded from the technical prob is just... huh.

There's another reason. Something I feared for years of but was ultimately inevitable: They're handing the networks to contractors so the troops can go to the desert and do more troopy things.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Going to PCS to on post living for the next 2 years. I'm in the guard and moving the family down. The move is in a few days. Anything last minute I should know?

My wife is already tracking that if she gets a speeding ticket, it's taken far too seriously and on me. What other types of bullshit am I walking into? I haven't spent much time on a big army installation was for AIT prior to commissioning.

Looking forward to not having to mow my lawn.

edited January 2020
    I want to separate.

I'm a cyber officer, currently training in network defense. I have been waiting for this moment for years, but now, on the brink of WW3, I think its time to cash out and get rid of any delusions of retiring. While I am so utterly proud of doing cyber defense, I cannot be a part of genocide.

My commitment is up in about 1.5 years. Who do I talk to about voluntarily separating at the end of my commitment about preparing for separation and building a resume without fear of reprisals? (I don't want it to come off as "so long and thanks for the training!)

I have not been technical in my career, but I am now training in some amazing hacker tools for offense, defense and data forensics. There is really nothing else I would rather be doing. I think if I play my cards right, I can find meaningful, ethical work without the need of a security clearance, which I have, but to truly sever myself from the military industrial complex, I have to prove to myself I don't need it. But that doesn't have to be immediately.

Cantido on
    So your total ADSO is 1.5 years? What branch? Reddit r/army has some good threads about this. Consensus seems to be keep your mouth shut until you drop the REFRAD packet.

Can't speak to the genocide/military industrial complex thing, but clearances are extremely valuable on the outside. You could get a Fed job that doesn't involve the military with one.

Branch is Air Force.

I would seriously ask this question in r/airforce then. It's a far more active community over there than here. Create a throwaway account name that is not connected with anything else you have online and be very careful about not revealing your squadron/shop/posting, etc. As an officer it's still a relatively small community and you might get ID'd if you're not careful.

As for the resume in the private sector, it may be worth asking the Sysadmin thread for guidance. A few there recently changed jobs/companies, so they can give you some relevant advice.

Man, on post living is sweet. I picked my kid up today from preschool, we walked 2 blocks in 70+ degree weather home. When we got home 5 other boys his age, all neighbors, were outside our back door playing. Kids just run around on bikes, unsupervised, playing outside. All my neighbors our married, with kids, and around our age. We all have the same interests and stay physically fit etc. I have several neighbors from my home state even.

The house is pretty nice. The materials/appliances are cheap but the layout is great.

edited January 2020
    I'm working up the courage to ask on Reddit about separation. I have to put it on the back of my mind until I graduate from this course. Once I do, I think my meal ticket to the private sector is sealed.

In the middle of class last week, they put on Fox News (and its always Fox News) during the Trump speech. My classmates giggled and looked at pro-war memes while I was in the bathroom trying to shit out my anxiety.

I for one want to get out of the midwest (where cyber warfare is glued) and go to a big, godless metropolitan area.

Cantido on
    If it helps, working in the IC is a great way to work with people who know how bullshit Fox is. I had a similar experience in training but the more bloodthirsty dumbasses have a way of weeding themselves out. Or, even better, getting a clue.

It's amazing how a war starting over bad intel will prejudice an organization against intellectual dishonesty.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Yo @Cantido hit me up when you are getting closer. I'm in the Fort Meade area and can try and drop the resume to a few different people that I know.
    Shit's kinda expensive out here, but with the clearance and work you're looking to do I'm sure you'll be fine.

Also I will say for the most part no one really wanted to talk to me until I was almost out. How much terminal leave do you think you'll have?

PSN: jfrofl
    I had a chuckle when people were misinterpreting the Selective Service as instituting the Draft. To the point that the Govt had to publicly state there is no draft.

If it helps, working in the IC is a great way to work with people who know how bullshit Fox is. I had a similar experience in training but the more bloodthirsty dumbasses have a way of weeding themselves out. Or, even better, getting a clue.

It's amazing how a war starting over bad intel will prejudice an organization against intellectual dishonesty.

The bachelors I'm working on is in Intel and it's interesting to see the different perspectives that I don't get to hear as often.

For my own part, I'm currently trying to work getting hired by a reserve unit down at Hurlburt, so we'll see how that goes over the next few months.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Radiation wrote: »
    Yo @Cantido hit me up when you are getting closer. I'm in the Fort Meade area and can try and drop the resume to a few different people that I know.
    Shit's kinda expensive out here, but with the clearance and work you're looking to do I'm sure you'll be fine.

Also I will say for the most part no one really wanted to talk to me until I was almost out. How much terminal leave do you think you'll have?

If I stopped taking leave right now, I estimate I would have 45 to 50 days of leave.

I still haven't made that smurf Reddit account. With the Iran bullshit over (for now), and the stress-born hormonal acne fading from my face and body I am refocusing on my studies, because this school is my meal ticket out of the military. I absolutely cannot think about separating until I secure this. The final exam of the first course is this week, and I graduate from everything in March. Then I can take my cyber training and fuck off to the NSA or something. Preferably something that hunts Nazis instead of brown people.

Its not just because I'm ashamed of the uniform and feel that being in the military means being an instrument of colonialism instead of national defense. I also miss the East Coast. My Pentagon assignment was some of the happiest days in my life. I want to get out of San Antonio and live and die in a big, godless metropolitan area. Yes, the work was nuts, but finding a concert or event was so easy, and meeting with charismatic, intelligent strangers and making friends out of them was just a Meetup away. San Antonio has been nothing but disappointment recreational and dating wise, and this career change I'm getting (17D to 17S) roots people to the Midwest for eternity (Scott and Lackland, specifically.)

My top priority upon graduation is sorting out these feelings with a counselor.

edited February 2020
    Alright, I knew tradoc would be different as an officer but holy shit...

This is like... fun?

The weather is great. We get long lunch breaks. Morning pt is ultimate Frisbee, release runs, and worthwhile circuit training. Weekends are for the beach. It's only getting better. It's like college but with more pt and less alcohol poisoning. I keep waiting for the fuck fuck games but there are none? My mind is blown.

Enlisted life suuuuucked.

Gotta work on my ultimate Frisbee game, I hear that shit is taken seriously in CCC.

furbat on
    We had a prior enlisted ensign get really competitive during a pick up game of ultimate frisbee. Guy was yelling at his people, cursing up a storm, the whole nine yards.

It was my patriotic duty to be as friendly as possible with a shit eating grin as I kept jogging to the end of the field to wait for another long pass.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    So, how is the US military reacting to COVID-19? The CAF reaction has been interesting so far, and also has a sweet name (Op LASER)

• novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    So, how is the US military reacting to COVID-19? The CAF reaction has been interesting so far, and also has a sweet name (Op LASER)

It's been expanding quickly. Originally a 'stop movement' overseas (in countries with outbreaks), and then last night SECDEF issued a domestic stop movement for the US. Official travel for mission essential stuff only, leave and liberty is only local area.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    novaspike wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »

It's been expanding quickly. Originally a 'stop movement' overseas (in countries with outbreaks), and then last night SECDEF issued a domestic stop movement for the US. Official travel for mission essential stuff only, leave and liberty is only local area.

Yeah, we can travel in Canada but international travel is done until told otherwise.

A lot of people are being told to work from home right now. This would usually annoy me because I have so much to do, but I'm actually looking forward to things slowing down while this all goes on. Also, got some online career courses to get done that I kept putting off.

My guys will probably be starting "telework" soon only without the work part.

I can't work from home so I will probably wind up going in anyway. It should be a lot less crowded than usual, though.

edited March 2020
    I graduated class and cancelled my leave due to the Pandemic. I need in-house training to actually go on missions, therefore my unit can't use me on jobs. But since we're all "teleworking" there's nothing for me to do but "teletrain" on my gaming PC....

...There is some training I can do. Training included SANS Network Forensics training, but not the test, so I'll be prepping for that test.

Cantido on
    I graduated class and cancelled my leave due to the Pandemic. I need in-house training to actually go on missions, therefore my unit can't use me on jobs. But since we're all "teleworking" there's nothing for me to do but "teletrain" on my gaming PC....

...There is some training I can do. Training included SANS Network Forensics training, but not the test, so I'll be prepping for that test.

You're red on dental and leave wasn't approved anyway because S1 lost your paperwork. Is any of that a thing for an AF officer?

We're stuck in the local area but flight training is moving forward. We aren't coming in as much on non-flying days, but the flight schedule is progressing despite talks of reducing it. We're behind on flight hours so the perception is that and student training are still a higher priority than sipping on that Corona.

In unrelated news, since December I've been pursuing a reserve unit that my buddy has been trying to get me into. I visited them on my way back from Master Resilience Trainer and then flew back to interview. There were a few of us and one slot, but last Friday I got word I was selected and yesterday I submitted the Palace Chase package with the local recruiter.

We'll see how it goes.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png