As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You're a homeowner! Put in your own outlet! :D

For me this would just amount to "How long of an extension cord can I jury rig?".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You're a homeowner! Put in your own outlet! :D

For me this would just amount to "How long of an extension cord can I jury rig?".

eln7jx3slmlu.jpg?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I awesomed that, but that is PAINFUL

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The cold water in our place can get damned cold in the winter. Like "I don't have to refrigerate this, it's plenty cold enough right from the tap". I'd be scared as hell to use a bidet here, because I don't want that water touching my most vulnerable places.

That's why you get that $400 heated one. Gotta get that warm water on your royal butthole.

I wonder how much it would cost to get an outlet installed next to my toilet :|

Is there one on a facing wall? If so, that's actually probably the easiest non-low voltage electrical DIY. I've done that to put an outlet in a closet before.

'course, given it's a bathroom, I'd probably still hire someone just so I don't like...hit a pipe or something.

I think that since this is a bathroom, there are rules about putting bathroom outlets on non-bathroom circuits. This might be one of the few areas where you actually shouldn't do that. EDIT: or maybe not. I'm seeing rules about bathrooms having a dedicated circuit, but I think you can add extra outlets that aren't on that circuit.

Also, you shouldn't put outlets within 6 feet from a bathtub.

evilmrhenry on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

You should have see all the jury rigged shit my house had when we bought it. Super sketchy. Currently being totally re-wired as part of a reno though

:so_raven:
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The cold water in our place can get damned cold in the winter. Like "I don't have to refrigerate this, it's plenty cold enough right from the tap". I'd be scared as hell to use a bidet here, because I don't want that water touching my most vulnerable places.

That's why you get that $400 heated one. Gotta get that warm water on your royal butthole.

Is there one on a facing wall? If so, that's actually probably the easiest non-low voltage electrical DIY. I've done that to put an outlet in a closet before.

'course, given it's a bathroom, I'd probably still hire someone just so I don't like...hit a pipe or something.

I think that since this is a bathroom, there are rules about putting bathroom outlets on non-bathroom circuits. This might be one of the few areas where you actually shouldn't do that. EDIT: or maybe not. I'm seeing rules about bathrooms having a dedicated circuit, but I think you can add extra outlets that aren't on that circuit.

Hm, my toilet is right next to my shower. I might just have to do an extension cord up around my sink and unplug my water pik. Or just scrap the idea and go with a non-electric. My butt can handle cold water.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Code is any outlet within 6 feet of water must be a GFI outlet.

nibXTE7.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

You should have see all the jury rigged shit my house had when we bought it. Super sketchy. Currently being totally re-wired as part of a reno though

I keep meaning to have an electrician come out to do an inspection. The only bad stuff in my house, insofar as I can tell, was that there were way too many outlets in the garage, but it was stuff like "these 4 outlets are plugged into this one outlet is plugged into this other one" so it's easy to just break that chain and it's fine.

But something with the grounding is off somewhere, I think, and I don't know what to do with it. If I turn the fan on in a guest bedroom, and it's night time, the motion sensor outside (on the same circuit) goes off. It's probably not a problem, but I'd like a professional to say the soothing words to convince me it's not a problem.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Hm, my toilet is right next to my shower. I might just have to do an extension cord up around my sink and unplug my water pik. Or just scrap the idea and go with a non-electric. My butt can handle cold water.

If it's possible, you might be able to run the cord behind a sink cabinet. I got a real nice electric bidet seat when my boss was transferred back to Japan and I got the one he'd never bothered installing in his guest room. The only outlet was under the medicine cabinet by the sink, but there was also a molding gap at the bottom back of the sink cabinet that I could get an extension cord from the GFI outlet to the toilet.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

yeah

at least use one of those 90 degree plugs

5gsowHm.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

If it's possible, you might be able to run the cord behind a sink cabinet. I got a real nice electric bidet seat when my boss was transferred back to Japan and I got the one he'd never bothered installing in his guest room. The only outlet was under the medicine cabinet by the sink, but there was also a molding gap at the bottom back of the sink cabinet that I could get an extension cord from the GFI outlet to the toilet.

That might work, actually! I could potentially just install an outlet in the sink cabinet under the current outlet which is above the sink cabinet, then drill a small hole in the cabinet to run an extension cord.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

There are blogs about this shit (heh)

https://www.manybidets.com/electrical-outlet-recommendations-for-electrical-bidet-toilet-seats/

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    fyi don't ever put a cord through a wall in any capacity, extension or otherwise

violates code and your insurance company will deny you coverage if they ever find out you did that (people like to post pictures on facebook of their masterpieces).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Thoughts on oil heating? We are checking a place out today and from the pics/walkthrough video/disclosure, everything else seems decent. Not that anything is wrong with oil. I'm just curious on opinions.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Thoughts on oil heating? We are checking a place out today and from the pics/walkthrough video/disclosure, everything else seems decent. Not that anything is wrong with oil. I'm just curious on opinions.

not worth the hassle

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

My knowledge of oil heating is limited to the fact that if you ever have to remove/retrofit an old system, it can get ridiculously expensive and messy to remove older oil drums. Oil also has to be delivered by a truck, which can have more volatile costs due to shortages/delays. Also, no DIY removal as there are environmental regulations on that stuff.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

What's really nasty is if the tank is underground. You want it aboveground so you can confirm that there's no leaks and the tank is generally in good condition.
    An older furnace (70s-80s) needs replacement even if working properly just because older furnaces weren't that efficient even when new, and decades later are even worse. Doesn't need to be done immediately, but will ultimately save you money, so the sooner the better.

If it leaks you're looking at tens of thousands of dollars in damages and repairs, if not hundreds of thousands. Walk away.

We moved into this house in 2012 and it had oil heat and a very old (but well maintained) furnace. We made the decision back in 2016/2017 (I don't remember) to upgrade to gas and replace the AC at the same time.

Oil service wasn't horrible, as long as you budget properly. You can regularly canvass local heating oil companies for rates so you can keep track. I want to say our tank was around 500 gallons. One tank full generally got us about 1.5 months of heating. We only had one emergency situation where we needed oil on a cold day, that was mostly because I wasn't monitoring tank levels.

We would do some price comparisons in the September timeframe, then choose a company for service through the heating season. Once you get 2-3 tank fills in, the company can be quite good at anticipating when you need more oil and sending out a truck before that time.

Our tank was in the basement, so we didn't have to deal with it being buried.

When we converted, we used a local guy to drain and remove the tank. He had to cut it apart to get it out of the house (via the front door; no holes needed in our foundation or walls). I'll have to check records, but I want to say the cost was on the order of $500 and the guy was done in one day. When he removed the tank, he said we probably had 1-2 years before it would have rusted through. I just took his word for it, so I don't know how much of that was hyperbole.

If you have specific questions, tell me and I'll try to dig up those records.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I can't help wondering if they deliberately laid the text out to make "ABS" easy to misread:
    71ZlkJWg-VL._AC_SX522_.jpg

(though maybe it's for cleaning your six-pack?)

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I can't help wondering if they deliberately laid the text out to make "ABS" easy to misread:

Some super shredded bros and brotessas are so jacked that they don't have the range of motion to properly cleanse their mega ab cuts. Don't judge, bruh! =P

I'm trying to do some quick math to see if a refi would make sense right now given the utter collapse of interest. We just bought in at 3.75, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could shave a point off it. I'm just not sure it's really worth the trouble in the long run.

edited March 2020
    We moved into this house in 2012 and it had oil heat and a very old (but well maintained) furnace. We made the decision back in 2016/2017 (I don't remember) to upgrade to gas and replace the AC at the same time.

Oil service wasn't horrible, as long as you budget properly. You can regularly canvass local heating oil companies for rates so you can keep track. I want to say our tank was around 500 gallons. One tank full generally got us about 1.5 months of heating. We only had one emergency situation where we needed oil on a cold day, that was mostly because I wasn't monitoring tank levels.

We would do some price comparisons in the September timeframe, then choose a company for service through the heating season. Once you get 2-3 tank fills in, the company can be quite good at anticipating when you need more oil and sending out a truck before that time.

Our tank was in the basement, so we didn't have to deal with it being buried.

When we converted, we used a local guy to drain and remove the tank. He had to cut it apart to get it out of the house (via the front door; no holes needed in our foundation or walls). I'll have to check records, but I want to say the cost was on the order of $500 and the guy was done in one day. When he removed the tank, he said we probably had 1-2 years before it would have rusted through. I just took his word for it, so I don't know how much of that was hyperbole.

If you have specific questions, tell me and I'll try to dig up those records.

While the one we are seeing is an underground one, you definitely helped calm me a bit from going off the rails with this. We appreciate it!

edit: So, the owners had an inspection done last year and we are reading through that now before we head out in a half hour. Looks like the oil tank is actually in the basement, so not underground. Even better.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Yeah underground is definitely immediately walk away and never look back. Maybe flip them off too.

I still don't think oil is worth the headache, especially for a first time homeowner, there are plenty of other houses.

Looking at the inspection, the only real thing we would have to get done is the exhaust fan in the bathroom (goes into the attic right now?). That is of course after we can an inspection as well, but if this is potentially move in ready...that is a big deal for us. Our lease is up end of May (and we have hit a breaking point at our current place), so I think we could deal with oil and probably replace it later down the road. Their inspection even had receipts for the things they had done after inspection. We shall see!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Looking at the inspection, the only real thing we would have to get done is the exhaust fan in the bathroom (goes into the attic right now?). That is of course after we can an inspection as well, but if this is potentially move in ready...that is a big deal for us. Our lease is up end of May (and we have hit a breaking point at our current place), so I think we could deal with oil and probably replace it later down the road. Their inspection even had receipts for the things they had done after inspection. We shall see!

Double check to see what's available in the area. You might not get access to natural gas and have to deal with propane or electric rads.

edited March 2020
    Yeah we have a NG main at the street, so conversion was painless (just expensive).

And my mom has 2 bathrooms that vent into the attic. If the attic is properly vented, it shouldn't be a mold risk. Specifically for my mom, her attic isn't finished or set up for walk-up storage.

Adding roof vents later is fairly cheap and straightforward.

Mugsley on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Since working from home is my deal for the foreseeable future, I decided to explore the unused Ethernet cables around my house. Miracle of miracles, the port nearest my modem/router connects to the right set of cables. I think I’m essentially just plugging into a long ass cable, but I’m having some weird issues (seems to recognize the laptop as a mobile device, images not loading, lots of problems verifying certificates), possibly due to using an ancient MacBook to test it out.

Still, getting a direct wired connection to my basement seems much more plausible than expected. If only I could find a single damn Ethernet coupler in my house. Or any of movable electronics I bought in the last ten years had an Ethernet port.

It's worth spending the money to grab a tester either from a home improvement store or Amazon

Something like this

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M63EMBQ/

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Then buy one of these one you find a good port:

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/usbc-to-ethernet-adapter/A8341041

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Those have both found their way to my amazon cart, thanks!

And now to look at that guide that Hedgie put up, which I thought was irrelevant all of 24 hours ago.

edited March 2020
    We are putting in an offer tonight. That place was super well maintained and we could move in tomorrow and not have to do anything to it. I'm not gonna get hyped just yet since we've been through this process once already and backed out, but this would be a nice change of scenery for us and get rid of our 3 main issues where we currently live.

edit: Also, interest rates can go to hell. I hate what is going on in the world right now.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah underground is definitely immediately walk away and never look back. Maybe flip them off too.

I still don't think oil is worth the headache, especially for a first time homeowner, there are plenty of other houses.

Oil is everywhere up here. It's not really a big deal, but definitely get the shopping done early. Most places will set up a payment plan and get you averaged out so you won't be caught off guard during a cold snap.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    bowen wrote: »

Oil is everywhere up here. It's not really a big deal, but definitely get the shopping done early. Most places will set up a payment plan and get you averaged out so you won't be caught off guard during a cold snap.

Yea, I think we are gonna ask the owners who they use.

So, we are under contract for the house! Woo! Our inspection will be Monday morning, closing date May 14th.

They said that since they had their inspection Jan 2019, that they don't want to fix anything else. Which is understandable. They fixed stuff then (and had receipts for it). The place is so well maintained.

We are definitely trying not to get too hyped because of our last inspection being HORRIBLE, but this place so move in ready. We got them down $6,900 too, so that's nice.

I am ready for my own office. BRING ON THE LEDs.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    71ZlkJWg-VL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I think it's so you're clear what version you're getting. There's a brass version as well.

5gsowHm.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I was considering a bidet but I have neither power or hot water going to my toilet area. I'd probably have to get a plumber and an electrician in to get the good setup.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I was considering a bidet but I have neither power or hot water going to my toilet area. I'd probably have to get a plumber and an electrician in to get the good setup.

Unless you just have spectacularly cold tap water the non-heated kind isn't that bad.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Unless you just have spectacularly cold tap water the non-heated kind isn't that bad.

The tap water in the winter is usually cold enough to be uncomfortable to wash my hands with. I have absolutely no interest in spraying my butthole with freezing cold, winter water at 6am.

They said that since they had their inspection Jan 2019, that they don't want to fix anything else. Which is understandable. They fixed stuff then (and had receipts for it). The place is so well maintained.

I understand their view, but making blanket statements like that is slightly concerning.

I mean in a year a lot can happen. I'd feel better if they said no cosmetic fixes.

The tap water in the winter is usually cold enough to be uncomfortable to wash my hands with. I have absolutely no interest in spraying my butthole with freezing cold, winter water at 6am.

It wakes you up though.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Waking up suddenly is not a good thing though; as I understand it, most heart attacks occur in the morning because people go from sleeping heart rate to an alarm to a shower to rush hour traffic and work in a fairly short period. Adding b-hole shock to that makes sense to me as something to be avoided.

This discussion has been closed.