As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Schedule announcements for PAX West, Personal Concerns and Recent Incidence

JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
edited May 2020 in PAX West
ATTENTION PLEASE! I have requested this discussion to be locked because of repeated ignorance of my request to stop discussion as my query has been resolved to satisfaction. Please direct immediately to the issuance of any further statements from official channels in relation to the current status of PAX West and do not post any more comments on the subject. Thank you for your cooperation.

=============================================================

With PAX East 2020 in the books I was wondering how long it takes from here before the dates are available for PAX West. This is more of a higher level of important provisions to be aware of than I was planning for due to the coronavirus incidence and possible risks in pertinence to certain personal issues that I have which could legitimately affect my decision on whether or not to proceed this year as I originally planned. So because of this, just having an idea of when the announcement comes out will probably be the deciding factor in whether or not to proceed given how the first casualty reports were literally reported in Washington state.

Jeffsta on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    May/June usually

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Which considering the circumstances is probably not a good idea to plan as scheduled owing to how things are going with this. I'm afraid that we'll probably all be facing a glut of "non-essential" advisories by then, and with both Emerald City and SXSW now having been called off within the past several hours or so I have no doubt that the rest of the year is going to be completely blank in terms of attendance for these events so unfortunately I won't be planning for this as I originally intended to. Thanks for the info, even despite that I no longer have any interest in going until at least 2022 (if we're lucky).

EDIT: Further to the point, I just realized that I have serious doubts that it's even going to be worth it until then anyway, considering that all of the good stuff is going to be at least two years out because of this (which is also if we're lucky). I totally expect that with all the delays, cancellation lists and even the supply chain that we're looking at a very late start of the next generation of gaming hardware to begin with.

EDIT 2: I'm also willing to admit that I have a tendency to be exaggerative on these matters (so I would probably take my comment on this with several grains of salt), but with the nature of the situation it's also not out of the question.

Jeffsta on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Keep in mind that it’ll be summer by then, which could stop the virus cold. It may come roaring back in the following fall/winter, but that’s unlikely to affect West.

So, make plans, but don’t lay any money down for anything unless you 100% know you can get a full refund if West is cancelled.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @Sterica Even so, I think it is a matter of time for my honest position. I just got reading a news update on how the Washington state government is already considering an even more in-depth precautionary adjustment, so from my analysis on the way it's been stated that it's safe to say that all bets are off this year. Even with the current alert level they can't legally proceed with Emerald City (and the same has already happened to SXSW) so I wouldn't even count on it happening at this point. Even GDC is probably going to be online only if they can even find a makeup date and who knows what will happen to E3 which already seems has an identity problem.

Ultimately the TL/DR and bottom line is that I wouldn't hold out for anything this year beyond video presentation wars (seriously, just phase out E3 at this point, hold a best newsreel contest between the big three and save the in-person until PAX East 2022)[1].

EDIT: The prospect of the situation is not guaranteed either, since it's still so new and we don't have the information to even support that outcome yet (if at all). Again, Seattle is basically on lockdown at the present time which has effectively killed any chance of Emerald City happening by force majure.[2] So obviously it's not going to be unreasonable to suspect that the continued planning for PAX West is also impossible because of the situation.

EDIT 2: While I do stand by my comment here, when during ordinary circumstances would you suspect that the dates for PAX West will actually occur based on past scheduling? That way I can at least have something to work with, just in case we get spared by then (even though I have my doubts at this point). Furthermore, I can always go with a backup option if necessary (DreamHack, PAX East etc.) so obviously I'm not as concerned about my original plan at this point.

1. Honestly speaking, I'm actually exaggerating this somewhat. But even then it's not unreasonable to expect.
    2. Source: CBS News

Jeffsta on
  • Options
    PAX West is generally Labor Day (US) weekend. If not that, then the weekend before or after. Things are usually announced in May/June.

I think that being cautious about booking anything that can't be refunded is smart, and otherwise we just have to wait and see.

• Options
    And I think we can write off 2020 thanks to the recent order of 250 or less for ANY public building. Inslee just made it official so I don't think we're going to have PAX West this year, and I would be very unsurprised if an official statement comes earlier than normal to back this up.

Case closed, and I will not respond further. Thanks again for the input on this.

• Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Large groups of 250+ is cancelled for only 4 weeks only in Oregon! PAX is 6 months away. Not sure why the obsession with worrying about it now. We haven't gotten confirmed dates for PAX West yet, tickets usually don't go on sale till late May. By then this could all be waived and over. I'm not writing off PAX yet.

anettie76 on
    5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    Wandering_1Wandering_1 Registered User new member
    I miss when they used to announce the dates for next year on the last date of the current PAX.
    That being said I already have my hotel room for Labor Day weekend and really hope those will be the dates even though it is a little late this year (Sep 4-7).

What concerns me more is that they have rescheduled ECCC for 2 weeks prior to that (Aug 21-24). That leaves just a little over a week between ECCC ending and PAX Dev starting.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Dev isn't even in the convention center. Last year it was in the Westin. Load in for the WSCC usually takes place during Dev.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Seriously? Two weeks apart?!

If it was my call I would simply cancel the first one and pool resources for the other. It could legitimately be a rather outlandish setup by the usual PAX standards (and possibly even a mix of apples and oranges) but it would probably be more efficient to have a bit of both at the same time. Setting up twice for comparable events is pushing it, especially when Dev already rolls directly into West and is usually the same time when setup for the latter is underway.

Then again, since there's subject matter that can legitimately be done in both cases (and both are coordinated by the same people, and also that the same mix occurs elsewhere) then it's also not unreasonable to expect that someone thought of every possible consideration for such a complicated logistical matter.

EDIT: Another matter is whether or not people will actually get back to these matters in such a short time. I'd expect practically anything to happen at this point.

Jeffsta on
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Did the front page change to "Registration Soon" in the last few days or has it been that way for a while?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I have no idea, but I just saw it myself.

UPDATE: After further review and owing to the ongoing logistical changes (and with the current travel guidelines being at prohibitive levels for purpose) my position is now final and I will end all further discussion on this. I'm also willing to admit that I can be rather extreme on these matters because of a personal consequence and I know it's still early in the year, but let's be honest: at this point the situation is unlikely to improve to sufficient levels by the time PAX West is set to begin. Because of this, I implore the PAX team to immediately reassess the remainder of the 2020 schedule and do right by us in terminating all further activity for the rest of the year.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I just noticed that media speculation now points to a possible "shelter directive" for the Seattle area (if not the whole state) because apparently people don't get their shit together for this kind of situation. And needles to say, if something like that happens then I have every reason to ascertain to you that all bets are off. I wouldn't count on PAX West if that were to happen.

Jeffsta on
  • Options
    every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    Soon™ (possibly 2021.)

• Options
    7ucky7ucky Registered User regular
    This is about the time PAX Prime West badges go on sale, so I'm curious where we can expect an update on whether or not they plan to hold the event at all. Has anyone heard anything from the official channels yet?

pvleevc2o4pj.png
  • Options
    7ucky wrote: »
    This is about the time PAX Prime West badges go on sale, so I'm curious where we can expect an update on whether or not they plan to hold the event at all. Has anyone heard anything from the official channels yet?
    I don't think badges have gone on sale before Memorial Day (US) for a few years. I may be misremembering, but I think we're a few months out still from any info.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, I believe PAXU has sold tickets prior to West the past 3 years. PAXU often goes for sale early May.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I haven't heard anything, but the last couple of years, we don't usually hear anything till April and badges go on sale around Memorial Day. We still have some waiting time. And I'm sure they don't want to jump the gun in case social gathering restrictions extend longer than expected.

5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is typically East time. Sales for the past 4-5 years have been mid May to early June.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    7ucky wrote: »
    I don't think badges have gone on sale before Memorial Day (US) for a few years. I may be misremembering, but I think we're a few months out still from any info.
    They haven't been on sale before Memorial Day since 2015. And you have to go back to 2013 to get sales in April.
    2019: May-30
    2018: May-31
    2017: June-8
    2016: June-7
    2015: May-7
    2014: May-28
    2013: April-17

• Options
    And now I wouldn't bet on it. I was intending for my last word to be the end and didn't anticipate we'd still be talking about it. (Admittedly this can also happen to me on an IRL basis, and for reasons I don't necessarily have to explain to just anyone.) But I just got done reading that QuakeCon is now canceled as well (and with online replacement likely as it has done with most of the other situations to date) and that decision was handed down very close to six in the afternoon based on my local time yesterday, and for something that close on the schedule to go kaput then it's probably safe to assume that nobody else will even think about it until at least next summer (and that assumes that E3 can actually be able to pull a comeback which after everything to date in that context is as likely as a fucking Sasquatch walking down Pike Street. This also means of course that I now intend to withdraw from any personal plans outside of PAX as this was going to be my indication of whether or not it's safe to continue as planned (and obviously it is not).

TL/DR: You may as well start canceling your flights and hotels at this point because it's very likely now based the proximity of timing between QuakeCon and PAX for the latter to be forced into cancellation by direct consequence of the former having to call things off. It's basically over at this point.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I think you're probably right--but I'm not cancelling any plans yet. I'm going to continue to hope that in 5 months we will be in a place where we can do this. And I do see this as a very serious situation and would completely understand if they cancelled.

I'm going to wait for official word from PAX.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Just saw the news this morning that New Orleans has announced a "recommendation" that organizers not plan on holding Voodoo or Jazz Fest this year. So that's talking about events in late summer and well into fall (Voodoo falls on Halloween weekend IIRC). Basically saying everybody should start looking at 2021 for event planning, and write off 2020.

I think we can expect similar out of Seattle, at some point. I think by (normal) PAX weekend we'll be at a point where social distancing restrictions are largely relaxed and things are heading back toward normal. But I think holding an event where tens of thousands of people from around the country and around the world travel to pack into a small, sweaty room is going to be a complete fucking nonstarter for the rest of the year.

Also hearing the buzz (but not the announcement...yet) that SDCC 2020 is going to be a no-go as well. That's late July. I don't see a month making the difference, and the inertia you have to overcome to cancel SDCC is an order of magnitude greater than PAX.

• Options
    And I just found out that indie megabooth is suspended as well. Guess that seals the deal, so I'm contacting my point person first thing at 7:30 to inform that 2020 is off. Barring any of this boiling into 2021 the best I can hope for now is PAX East.

Here's the announcement if you need it:
    https://indiemegabooth.com/farewell-(for-now)----a-letter-from-kelly-wallick,-founder-of-the-indie-megabooth/

And with that I'm moving on... for real this time. (Well, almost - Germany just ordered all of its entertainment businesses and conference centers to shut down until September, which is when PAX West starts up. And considering that such an order also effectively kills off Gamescom, it's safe to say at this point that we've all been royally fucked.)

• Options
    solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Gamescon got cancelled. That's literally days before PAX West.

RIP PAX West 2020

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • Options
    SDCC Also just confirmed. It's over.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's over when PAX West confirms.

• Options
    BakugoKatsukiBakugoKatsuki Registered User new member
    YES! Thank You!!!
    I hate all the people trying to cancel events for other people. Like, if you don't want to go then stay locked in your home.. but don't try to ruin things for others lol

"We've gotten a lot of questions from fans and want to let everyone know that as of right now we still plan on welcoming everyone home to PAX West on Labor Day weekend (September 4th - 7th) in 2020!

More information on pax site:

"Hey there! We hope you’re staying safe and healthy in these uncertain times.

We tend to be pretty quiet this time of year, but since we’ve had some questions from fans and exhibitors we wanted to let everyone know that as of this moment, we’re still planning on putting together a great PAX West this coming Labor Day Weekend (September 4th - 7th) for you, and we will be updating our website with more information on badges and hotel registration in the coming months.

Our first priority is always your safety, and that extends to issues of public health. As the year progresses, we will continue to monitor the situation and work with health officials at all levels of government, and intend to follow all CDC and WHO guidelines as they are released. That said, actions already taken by our convention center and local government have left us optimistic, and we will continue working with them to make sure we take the correct steps throughout the summer.

We look forward to welcoming you home as we always have, but until then - may you give Tom Nook a run for his money, and may Sephiroth stand defeated in your wake."

• Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say people don't want to go or are trying to ruin things. Quite the opposite really.

We all want to go and have a great time without the worry of anything more than PAX POX.

I'm happy they're monitoring the situation, but there is a reality that this won't be over before PAX and it will be cancelled. We're all just trying to prepare ourselves for that.

I personally will not be attending this year, for my health and safety (I almost died after PAX '18), but I do hope everyone gets to go and have a safe and fun time.

• Options
    XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    The reality is that this likely won't be over in September short of some kind of miracle scientific breakthrough. Unfortunately due to penalties in various contracts, most cons can't just preemptively cancel, they have to wait until they can exercise a "force majeure" clause. In the case of PAX West this likely means waiting until either the state or city tell them they can't run the convention. This is more or less what happened with both ECCC and Sakuracon earlier this year.

I hope PAX West runs, but the betting man inside me says it's not happening based on what the experts are saying. This article is about sports, but touches on filling arenas, which is a good convention analogue: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/sports/coronavirus-sports-come-back.html

• Options
    And I sadly must close this out on a very unfortunate note. After discussing matters with my designated financial manager between PAX West and my alternate selections on account of the status changes I have unfortunately been informed that my redaction cannot be accepted due to the circumstances for which the cancellation was originally filed. Sadly due to the reasons for which she is responsible for my financial planning I have no other choice but to respect her decision.

Thanks again for all the input on this matter, and hopefully I'll be able to reschedule for PAX East at the earliest. Until then, this matter is now closed and I will not respond to any further messages on the subject.

• Options
    edited April 2020

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    My theory is they can't cancel it unless the city cancels it for fear of losing insurance money. If PAX/Reed were to cancel on their own volition, they'd likely have to eat the cost of whatever fees are set in place by the venue. Whereas if they have a mandate from some level of government that it is unsafe for the event to be held, they would likely be covered by insurance.

So, in the mean time, they keep on with the "sure...we're gonna do it" line until they can't.

PAX Australia badges should've been on sale by now if you look at the last three years (March 13, April 9, March 25). They still aren't on sale.

PAX Unplugged badges should go on sale by early-to-mid May (May 3, May 17, May 9).

Since the debut of Unplugged, West badges have not gone on sale until end of May or early June (June 8, May 31, May 30).

Long story short, there's still about a month before West would theoretically be on sale. Will things be better in a month? Unlikely. And if the other two events haven't gone on sale by then, West probably isn't either.

On top of all of this, what companies do you think are willing to risk sending their people to Seattle? Seattle was ground zero for the virus in America in a lot of ways.

I don't think it's happening. I'm as bummed as anyone having gone since 2008. But, I just don't see it.

• Options
    solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Imagine they sell tickets, then cancel later. That would be fun.

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • Options
    solomon123 wrote: »
    Imagine they sell tickets, then cancel later. That would be fun.

It's really not that big of a deal. A company like ReedPOP is set up to handle that. They can also do what SDCC is doing, letting attendees choose whether to take a refund or roll the tickets forward to the following year. PAX West hasn't been selling out that fast recently, but it's possible that if we miss a year, next year sells out faster, and having tickets-in-hand may be worth the commitment of funds for some (I'd be among them, same way I'm keeping my SDCC badges).

They can even go the route some music festivals have gone, and offer some sort of sweetener for those that choose to leave their money parked. One festival was offering a $50 credit toward food/drink if you hold your tickets until next year, and that was on like $200 tickets...so 25% of face.

The only thing I'll warn people of now is to read the purchase agreement, preferably (if available) before badges go on sale. Make sure you're comfortable with whatever rights and remedies you have available in writing if the event is canceled. Because one thing I recently learned is that apparently Visa (and presumably other card issuers) do not allow chargebacks for events canceled due to government intervention. So your remedies available will be whatever the event issuer offers in writing, or decides to offer in good faith. ReedPOP was pretty responsible in their handling of ECCC, I don't see any reason this wouldn't be similarly well handled. But always best to pay attention before putting down money. Same goes for hotel/flight reservations.

Hopefully by the time Labor Day rolls around, it's safe to hold the event and they wind up doing so. If I were a betting man, my money is on not. Not a lot of money, mind. I think they're doing the same "it's on until it's off" strategy that major league sports have been going with, and I don't blame them. We'll see.

• Options
    And one final complication before I close things out (for which I have repeatedly requested and will not be requesting again). It has come to my attention that the employment preparation service I have been using within my services agency is now permanently closed (and by now we all know who to blame) so I have been referred back to the search assistance portion of the jobs department. With this unfortunate turn of events (and not to mention all of the mandatory two-week delays for those who would go ahead of me) I am sadly not going to be able to make the journey until at least 2022 (and even that is somewhere between exaggeration and conservative estimation).

• Options
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    for which I have repeatedly requested and will not be requesting again
    A very solid way to stop participating in a discussion is to stop participating in it.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm sure many have an interest in this topic and will continue to discuss it.

anettie76 on
    5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    That will be dependent on official announcements from now on. If I say end of subject I fucking mean it, so unless and until we hear otherwise from an official PAX statement then please consider this matter settled and move on to something else.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    No.

The way I could see it still happening is if they prove that some of these medicines work (not curing it but keeping people from dying of it). Because it does seem like if things are starting to re-open now, unless there is a terrible resurgence and things close up again, I could actually see it happening now.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
This discussion has been closed.