As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cliff Simon memorial [Stargate] thread

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Didn't the writers admit they had no idea what it means?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Didn't the writers admit they had no idea what it means?

Oh I'm sure it was almost all gobbledegook, but that one in particular suggests "if you start off assuming you know, then your worldview is too cemented to follow this path"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I like how well it fits with the later depiction of the Ancients as just... people that eventually got super advanced tech. Like yeah they'd come up with some college philosophy minor bullshit too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

SimBen wrote: »
    I like how well it fits with the later depiction of the Ancients as just... people that eventually got super advanced tech. Like yeah they'd come up with some college philosophy minor bullshit too.

If you immediately know the philosophy is college-grade, then your ascension was done a long time ago.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    For the mystic sounding spoutings, I've always liked Kosh's Vorlon expressions of things. They always managed to feel like an enormous amount of information and subtle meanings were being conveyed in a miserly amount of words.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    For the mystic sounding spoutings, I've always liked Kosh's Vorlon expressions of things. They always managed to feel like an enormous amount of information and subtle meanings were being conveyed in a miserly amount of words.

Yes.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ha found the remote I've been missing for a few weeks, I can watch stargate again, gonna do me a marathon of plague and isolation episodes. There's actually a bunch of those, gonna start with S01E08 brief candle, where the team encounters nano machine that drastically shortens the human life span. It's where they learned that unless necessary they should stick to rations off world.

@ me with eps I need to add to the list I got sg1, Atlantis, and a bit of universe.

Sleep on
  • Options
    On to 1x10 the torment of tantalus

Where catherine's boyfriend got traped for decades in a meeting place of the 4 races.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Holy shit a VCR

Almost as oldtimey to now as the flashbacks in this episode are to the characters.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Ha found the remote I've been missing for a few weeks, I can watch stargate again, gonna do me a marathon of plague and isolation episodes. There's actually a bunch of those, gonna start with S01E08 brief candle, where the team encounters nano machine that drastically shortens the human life span. It's where they learned that unless necessary they should stick to rations off world.

@ me with eps I need to add to the list I got sg1, Atlantis, and a bit of universe.

That is one

classic

bad Stargate episode.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020

That is one

classic

bad Stargate episode.

Oh boy howdy, these first season episodes are just a delight on this voyage.

We're on 1x14 now, singularly, the episode where they find Cassandra. So far the most unbelievable part is how quickly they outfit the remote lab with a containment system. Also they let the team into the clean space before giving them a checkup.

Also I've definitely already figured out how to shoehorn window of opportunity into this marathon so don't worry guys I'll have at least a few good ones.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Considering the Hofan plague im gonna get a lot of mileage out of this marathon criteria on the Atlantis front.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    So you better believe after singularity we moved on to episode 1x17 solitudes

The episode where Jack and Carter get trapped in Antarctica and we find out that every so often (when plot demands it) explosions are properly directed at the gate causes it to jump targets. Also the first appearance of our favorite guy to watch get grievously injured on the job, Master Sergeant Sylvester Siler

Headed to look into season 2 after this episode.

Oh yeah, gotta hit ep 2x03 prisoners, where we meet Linea

Sleep on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So you better believe after singularity we moved on to episode 1x17 solitudes

The episode where Jack and Carter get trapped in Antarctica and we find out that every so often (when plot demands it) explosions are properly directed at the gate causes it to jump targets. Also the first appearance of our favorite guy to watch get grievously injured on the job, Master Sergeant Sylvester Siler

Headed to look into season 2 after this episode.

Oh yeah, gotta hit ep 2x03 prisoners, where we meet Linea

https://youtu.be/spyhk4_USyA

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Man season 2 is making it hard to shoehorn in episodes for this infection themed marathon.

I think I gotta hit 2x07 message in a bottle. Where jack O'Neal gets infected by an alien nano virus that is the last remains of a society that was destroyed long ago.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Question: Are replicators considered a spreading plague/disease?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Question: Are replicators considered a spreading plague/disease?

It depends, are they milky way replicators or pegasus replicators. Milky way replicators are definitely a tech problem, but the pegasus replicators are all about the nanites so a few of theythe episodes might count.

the themes on this marathon are specifically isolation or doctoring.

Doc fraiser is getting a good run out of this one.

Oh shit speaking of, I'm gonna have to go back I missed the broca divide! They reference it at the beginning of message in a bottle

Sleep on
  • Options
    How could I forget sexual aggressive caveman carter.

We're back on season 1 for a minute with episode 1x04 the broca divide where the team "discovers" a world that's both tidally locked and somehow not a total shit show of a planet except for the caveman like people that live on the dark side, that somehow has plant life. Look it's season 1 they hadn't figured out how hard sci fi worked just yet.

Also I'm now noticing an alarming number of CRTs in this base. Like the one jack just threw daniel into.

• Options
    Ah teal'c

You won't give me some blood, fuck it I'm gonna beat people up and get some blood.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Okay, gotta avoid watching this episode where the dad from boy meets world loses his damn mind and get back on track into season 2

What else can I get out of it.

Think I'm gonna hit up episode 2x10 Bane, where teal'c almost becomes a bunch of world destroying bugs.

What's that, we get a continuity error where the actress that comes back as Cassandra is playing some other person? Gonna be ignoring that forever.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Cutting in here just to say my dad and I will still yell "in the middle of my backswing!?" to each other when something goes wrong.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Man this kid would never survive the covid, strange dude covered in sores sweating and barely able to speak and she's just getting right up close, kids from this generation never gonna make that move. Now she's makin a godfather reference in her early teens in the late 90s (that's right this episode is 22 years old), who is this kid? Oooohhh she's a latch key kid got it. Whatever, even she can tell maybourn is a tool.

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Oh man, getting into season 3 now and it is certainly thin on isolation and disease episodes.

Gonna go with 3x04 legacy cause they break out the contagion masks, daniel Jackson goes crazy and gets locked in an iso room, and doc frazier and samantha get locked in a lab and gotta figure out a way to trick machelo's inventions into not killing teal'c while doc fraiser is losing her damn mind cause she took way too many hits of goa'uld killing slugs.

Sleep on
  • Options
    The Ori's whole deal is they infect a planet with a plague, offer the cure if the population accepts to convert and lets them die if they don't. That's gonna be a lot of S9-10 episodes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Now episode 3x11 past and present. In this episode we encounter a whole world where no one knows who they are, and they forget everything before a year or so ago when an event called the vorlix wiped everyone's memories, and meet a totally new character named Kira.

• Options
    Oh man, here it is, we're into the 4th season on this marathon, and that can only mean one thing. Episode 4x06 window of opportunity we got the isolation of a time loop, and the first indication of the prior's plague.

• Options
    The Ori's whole deal is they infect a planet with a plague, offer the cure if the population accepts to convert and lets them die if they don't. That's gonna be a lot of S9-10 episodes.

In writing that entry for window of opportunity I had just realized this fact that the prior's plague was gonna get me a lot of mileage out of the latter seasons.

• Options
    I'd never made the connection from Window of Opportunity to the Prior's Plague, and it is specious as hell considering the Ori have not yet stepped foot into the Milky Way prior to season 9.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I'd never made the connection from Window of Opportunity to the Prior's Plague, and it is specious as hell considering the Ori have not yet stepped foot into the Milky Way prior to season 9.

It's a thing you only figure out when you figure out that the plague everyone gets from the ancient they find in the ice in Antarctica makes them immune to the prior's plague the first time they run into it on katesh's planet.

It's definitely back fill and not planned from season 4 on or anything.

Sleep on
  • Options
    It's okay to just watch Window of Opportunity, you know

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I've watched this series so many times now that it's hard not to notice the details. Even if you have to disregard them once you do notice them. My favorite one is when I noticed how often that they reuse the same actors for multiple episodic roles. Especially between sg1 and atlantis.

It's why I'm doing this right now, it kinda centers me when shit gets turbulent.

Maybe I'll put more work in on the next one and figure out a marathon that only contains episodes where they reuse episodic actors.

Sleep on
  • Options

I've watched this series so many times now that it's hard not to notice the details. Even if you have to disregard them once you do notice them. My favorite one is when I noticed how often that they reuse the same actors for multiple episodic roles. Especially between sg1 and atlantis.

It's why I'm doing this right now, it kinda centers me when shit gets turbulent.

Maybe I'll put more work in on the next one and figure out a marathon that only contains episodes where they reuse episodic actors.

The one that always stuck out to me the most was the actor playing Narim later played Weir's boyfriend

sig.gif
  • Options

The one that always stuck out to me the most was the actor playing Narim later played Weir's boyfriend

They really work the long hair to obfuscate that one.

Okay im taking a little break to brave the plague lands and hit a grocery store. I'm trying to figure out what other episodes I can pull from season 4 I think

4x07 Watergate works
    4x12 Tangent for the isolation of a glider straight to deep space,
    4x16 2010 because of the ashen and their vaccine ploy,
    maybe 4x18 the light,
    and
    maybe 4x20 entity because it's a pretty blatant ripoff of the movie Virus.

Might not get back into the marathon till tomorrow though as Dream gets done with work stuff soon.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

It's a thing you only figure out when you figure out that the plague everyone gets from the ancient they find in the ice in Antarctica makes them immune to the prior's plague the first time they run into it on katesh's planet.

It's definitely back fill and not planned from season 4 on or anything.

The Ori plague thing is a beautiful bit of retcon because it fits in so easily. They spent a lot of time talking about how the ancients died off to some plague without ever really going into it because there was never really a need to explain it. I would almost wonder how they managed to spread it across two galaxies, but then I remember the best summary of the Ancients that was ever given on the show. Extremely arrogant and overconfident and not for good reason.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm not sure the Ori had no knowledge of the Milky Way, they just didn't know that there was a whole buttload of humans and ascended ancients hanging out there because the ancients were hiding their existence.

Basically, the way I see it..

-Alterans vacate the Ori galaxy, colonize the milky way
    -Ori find out, drop the plague on them
    -Ancients ascend, and those who don't use the Dakara device to "reboot" the galaxy while the ascended keep the new life hidden from the Ori
    -Ori assume the Milky Way was successfully purged.
    -SG-1 goes and fucks it all up by messing with shit they really shouldn't.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Back to working from home, back to the stargate marathon.

Getting into the list at ep 4×07 Watergate. Highlights include a strange liquid that controls a bunch of Russians. Maybourn still being a jackass, and some star trek crossover with marina sirtis playing the Russian scientist Dr. Svetlana Markov

Oh hey let's have daniel Jackson and teal'c do a totally untrained parachute drop into a remote portion of Russia.

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    In 4x12 tangent now

Oh man the late 90s CG on the X-301 is Rough.

Gonna start this message with a goa'uld word and then just go full English.

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    And now we find ourselves in the near future, a decade ahead, in...2010... shit

Sleep on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I'm not sure the Ori had no knowledge of the Milky Way, they just didn't know that there was a whole buttload of humans and ascended ancients hanging out there because the ancients were hiding their existence.

Basically, the way I see it..

-Alterans vacate the Ori galaxy, colonize the milky way
    -Ori find out, drop the plague on them
    -Ancients ascend, and those who don't use the Dakara device to "reboot" the galaxy while the ascended keep the new life hidden from the Ori
    -Ori assume the Milky Way was successfully purged.
    -SG-1 goes and fucks it all up by messing with shit they really shouldn't.

Huh that's an interesting theory. I kinda like it but the timeline for this doesn't match up in my head to make sense. Merlin was out there raging against the Ori while humans had been around for a very long time. We also know some Ancients decided to live with humans and pass on their genetics as well. Humans definitely existed as a species while the plague raged. I do not know how to fit reseeding life in the galaxy with this knowledge at all. I suspect this is a bit of lore that everyone gets to have their own fan theory on because there is no value in explaining it. Turns out multiple revisions to your lore basically makes it Swiss cheese! Who knew?!

• Options
    Woof totally forgot The Light starts with a dude offing himself in the kwoosh