As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Magicians] Fem Bot Nick Fury

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I really hope the were given enough time to actually write a proper ending.

Man this will be really disappointing if they weren't able to.

It's going to be sad either way as this was my favorite current show.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Apparently the existing finale will serve to end the series well enough, but it's still a disappointment, if not entirely unexpected.

Meh. This was my number one show on TV for the last few years. 2020 was supposed to be a way cooler year than it is shaping up to be! =P

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I'm fine with this. This has been my favorite show for several years, but it doesn't need to go on forever. I think they have been starting to run out of ideas. As the characters noted, there's *always* something threatening the world and don't they get to stop saving it eventually? This way, they don't have to come up with another reason why the amount of magic is wrong and they have to save the world but oops they made it worse and also sacrifice.

It seems like they're revving up to the last major set piece lifted loosely from the books, and there's nothing else I wanted to see them adapt. I wouldn't mind maybe a full season focused more on Brakebills (Penny as dean is great) and less Fillory, but otherwise, I've seen what I needed to see.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I'm fine with this. This has been my favorite show for several years, but it doesn't need to go on forever. I think they have been starting to run out of ideas. As the characters noted, there's *always* something threatening the world and don't they get to stop saving it eventually? This way, they don't have to come up with another reason why the amount of magic is wrong and they have to save the world but oops they made it worse and also sacrifice.

It seems like they're revving up to the last major set piece lifted loosely from the books, and there's nothing else I wanted to see them adapt. I wouldn't mind maybe a full season focused more on Brakebills (Penny as dean is great) and less Fillory, but otherwise, I've seen what I needed to see.

Agreed - I love that they are hitting one last major book piece and as it became clear where they were headed I suspected it meant this was the final season.

And of course they are adapting that book element and mutating it into something slightly (or majorly) different like almost all of the storylines.

Book Spoilers
    edit - I am an idiot and mixed up plotlines. Since it's Q that was more involved than Julia, it seems pretty damn safe to say he won't be involved.

swaylow on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Is Josh Hoberman the best character?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Fuck no

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Fuck no

Just started season three and I love the idea of this guy who uses magic just to chill and party

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I enjoy Josh and his strange affinity for psychotropic baked goods. His actor played Frederick Crane in Frasier, so I like to think little Freddie grew out of his adolescent troubles to find his niche as a hard-partying, werewolf-fucking, culinary magician.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I've loved the show up until the end of last season.

I haven't watched any of the latest season because my fiancee couldn't make it past episode 2.

Should I watch this season, given it's the last, or just accept the magnificence of last season as the ending?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    This season's been pretty solid, all in all. There's one episode in particular which is just fucking hilarious insanity.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I don't think he'd even crack my top 5.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Eliot
    Margo
    Fen
    Tick
    Kady

Ok yeah

• Options
    I've just gotten to Season 3
    where Eliot and Quentin spend a life together with the Mosaic and it's just so sad and beautiful and perfect.

This show just goes for it and it's great.

• Options
    I've just gotten to Season 3
    where Eliot and Quentin spend a life together with the Mosaic and it's just so sad and beautiful and perfect.

This show just goes for it and it's great.

This is the greatest point in the show and becomes very important later

It’s surprising how well they did that one considering every other relationship on the show is absolute poop from Ember’s butt

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I think that any show with multi-season arcs should film alternate endings in the event they get canceled. Worst case scenario, they can show those alternate endings on Bluray or Youtube.

There were three shows in recent memory that ended on cliffhangers, but the studios allowed the creators to film enough to give the audience closure: 1) Sense8, 2) Timeless, and 3) No tomorrow.

The last show was about a guy who kept trying to warn the government that an asteroid was going to hit the Earth, but no one took him seriously, and so he said "fuck it" and started maxing out his credit cards and enjoying the time he had left.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I really loved the episode this week.

It had a lot of lovely call backs and some nice moments between characters.

I am not mentally prepared for only 3 more episodes but am excited to see how they close this out.
    All of the Ember & Umber scenes got big laughs at our house. Simpler times.

• Options
    I'm still in season three but
    Julia explaining to Fen that all slavery is bad, even if it's fairies, was great.

• Options
    My wife totally called how Fen saved the seed

• Options
    "Two episodes left. Should we do a heist episode, or a musical episode? Why not both?"

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Finally started Season 5. Man I'm gonna miss this show when it's gone. I hope some of the folks involved get another gig. I have no idea which folks are the secret sauce here but they just kill it. Even the people who write the freaking episode descriptions. "Alice doesn't buy enough tacos. Fen has three bars."

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Hale Appleman and Summer Bishil

Arjun Gupta is probably really good too but his character is really flat and ass—he’s been able to stretch his chops only as OG dead-Penny

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Jade Tailor and Brittany Curran are also really good

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Summer Bishil is almost making me want to watch the Last Airbender movie to see her Azula.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Summer Bishil is almost making me want to watch the Last Airbender movie to see her Azula.

It's a trap; just like watching Clone Wars makes me want to re-watch Attack of the Clones. Don't do it.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I don't think I fully get either musicals or musical episodes in shows

jakobagger on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I don't think I fully get either musicals or musical episodes in shows

Have there been any that you liked? My experience with most tv show musical episodes was just somewhere on a spectrum between tolerable and intolerable, but I still regularly revisit Once More With Feeling.

• Options
    Magicians musical episodes are unique because it's basically super depressed people working through their trauma with karaoke.

• Options
    I feel like Magicians musical episodes work because usually musical episodes tend to ignore the fact that they're singing, and in the Magicians it's usually explicitly spelled out in the episode that they know it's happening?

Like in this one they explicitly call out that they skip verses because they don't make sense :V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKoHCS3o4m4

• Options
    If a musical episode is used to work through character issues and leads to growth it's good!

If it's used just to be a twee cute episode then it sucks!

• Options
    I legit tear up at their Pressure number from season ... something

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

Hm, yeah that one was pretty nice.

Still I think I at most enjoy it as a sort of weird music video.

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »

Hm, yeah that one was pretty nice.

Still I think I at most enjoy it as a sort of weird music video.

What’s weird about defeating doppelgängers with dance and living boats that can fly

• Options
    Finally watched the most recent ep.

Loved how they escaped. That's a deep cut.

• Options
    Music on the Magician's is also legit form for magic, the same way that hand dancing is.

• Options
    Haha, I knew where Fen had the seed the moment I heard her voice as she said "It's fine!"

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    cruel to be kind has ancestral power for those who watched 10 things i hate about u

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    It'll be interesting if Fen gets super powers because of this.

• Options
    That... would be on brand.

• Options
    Magicians musical episodes are the best.

As was this one.

Except Margot and Josh being back together for what is going to be the last episode ever.

That will be lame to end their stories like that.

Also I just don't understand how there is only one episode ever left of this show based on where it is right now.

Just crazy.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    This felt like the weakest of their musical episodes, but I think it also felt super rushed, so maybe it was after they got news of cancellation. Still super on board, just not my fave of all the ones they've done (and a lot of leaning on their worst voices, which was an odd choice - going to narrative heft with Elliot/Alice vs the rest).

I totally agree re: above - I don't know how this ends in one hour next week. Sad but happy it ever happened to begin with.