As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's MARVEL, baybee. X-Men on fire! Black Widow in May! Sam and Bucky in August!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I tried reading vegance. I couldn't get past the first issue

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    take the thing where latina characters say every second word in spanish and throw it in the garbage forever

people don't do that! i've never heard anyone do that! get like, exactly one spanish speaking friend and listen to how they actually use the language

• Options
    marvel's millenial stuff is weird because they can't actually talk about politics

it's all twitter and asymmetrical haircuts but somehow nobody ever gets around to organising the working class and overthrowing the bourgeoisie. which is honestly a pretty significant chunk of what the young people i know are talking about

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Hulk has some class consciousness going on right now, funnily enough

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

The Hulk is the only Marvel book I know even approaching doing that.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Hah, I bet he does.

"It's clobberin' time for the owning class!"

Am I right, comrades? Eh?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Hah, I bet he does.

"It's clobberin' time for the owning class!"

Am I right, comrades? Eh?

That's Thing, not Hulk.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    marvel's millenial stuff is weird because they can't actually talk about politics

it's all twitter and asymmetrical haircuts but somehow nobody ever gets around to organising the working class and overthrowing the bourgeoisie. which is honestly a pretty significant chunk of what the young people i know are talking about

Gonna just lift these from a @BlankZoe post from back in November
    aqkzo9uaqfv5.jpg
    7r869i545xya.jpg
    ibskvw1brzkf.jpg
    ycsrjv3xza4c.jpg
    lqaumgdd34r0.jpg

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    take the thing where latina characters say every second word in spanish and throw it in the garbage forever

people don't do that! i've never heard anyone do that! get like, exactly one spanish speaking friend and listen to how they actually use the language

We speak Spanglish sometimes but usually only with each other, and not with other people who don't speak Spanish.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've seen the occasional phrase/sentence in another language, and there's the random times when you just need the very, very specific context of a specific word, even if you're not using that word's language at the moment. That second one is usually swears

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    It's because they can't write down the Latin accent like they can for the Southern accent or the hillbilly drawl, so they resort to sprinkling a bit of Spanish over everything Latinxs say.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think it's because they don't know any actual latinx people and think they talk like half-lingual caricatures

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

aqkzo9uaqfv5.jpg
    7r869i545xya.jpg
    ibskvw1brzkf.jpg
    ycsrjv3xza4c.jpg
    lqaumgdd34r0.jpg

This actually was one of my problems with the Uncanny X-Men arc that lead into Age of X-Man, in that...I couldn't really see what Nate Grey was doing wrong, in the large scale? He was using his absurd powers to change the world for the better, recreating environments, fixing the atmosphere, turning offshore oil plants into nature preserves, taking away weapons from oppressors so the abused could rise up and stop them, etc. And the X-Men's response was to argue that no, he couldn't shake up the status quo, despite how bad it was. And not give him a focus for his powers to help things, but instead just fight him. It was...incredibly frustrating.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »

aqkzo9uaqfv5.jpg
    7r869i545xya.jpg
    ibskvw1brzkf.jpg
    ycsrjv3xza4c.jpg
    lqaumgdd34r0.jpg

This actually was one of my problems with the Uncanny X-Men arc that lead into Age of X-Man, in that...I couldn't really see what Nate Grey was doing wrong, in the large scale? He was using his absurd powers to change the world for the better, recreating environments, fixing the atmosphere, turning offshore oil plants into nature preserves, taking away weapons from oppressors so the abused could rise up and stop them, etc. And the X-Men's response was to argue that no, he couldn't shake up the status quo, despite how bad it was. And not give him a focus for his powers to help things, but instead just fight him. It was...incredibly frustrating.

I havent read the X-Man arc, but this sounds a lot like the overall first two arcs in Cable & Deadpool series where Cable was able to fully tap into his tk and he basically did the same thing. Sorta.

Hell they threw silver surfer at him at one point.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    As I recall the issue with Age of X-Man was that the price of his utopian world was no love

Which is hacky as shit but it was pretty thoroughly explored and X-Tremists in particular showed how a world without love and intimacy also means a world without anyone queer in it and peace ain't worth living in a closet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    As I recall the issue with Age of X-Man was that the price of his utopian world was no love

Which is hacky as shit but it was pretty thoroughly explored and X-Tremists in particular showed how a world without love and intimacy also means a world without anyone queer in it and peace ain't worth living in a closet

I mean, there was also the "and oh yeah, this is a police state" stuff, but yeah.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Not just latina characters, every foreign character gets this (depending on writer it gets better or worse, but the standard is still pretty terrible). Storm was just lucky that Claremont knew no Swahili words.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ok now i'm thinking about if all storm's dialogue was like "yes, bwana xavier, your body may be weak but your moyo is that of a simba" and cracking myself up

it would be super racist! much as, it is super racist to do it with latina people

• Options
    It seems to me that Claremont did it a lot more in the early years of his run than later on, but yeah, Nightcrawler and Colossus were constantly dropping in German or Russian words. Plus Claremont loved writing the phonetic accents for all the Scottish, Irish, and Southern characters he brought in.

• Options
    It seems to me that Claremont did it a lot more in the early years of his run than later on, but yeah, Nightcrawler and Colossus were constantly dropping in German or Russian words. Plus Claremont loved writing the phonetic accents for all the Scottish, Irish, and Southern characters he brought in.

Gambit...

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think it's because they don't know any actual latinx people and think they talk like half-lingual caricatures

I definitely call people putos and pendejos all the time but definitely not to their faces.

• Options
    I'm probably going a bit too serious now for this subject, but as a non-native English speaker, it's easy to see the way I speak that I'm from a specific country. Problem is for a writer to show that in dialogue, they have to have a good understanding of both languages. It's never just a short word thrown in at the beginning or end or just replace all W's with V's and call it a day.

So if I were to write Beak (Barnell Bohusk is not a dutch name BTW) or Klaw (Ulysses Klaw is *definitely* not a dutch name BTW), the most noticeable thing would probably be word order in sentences which has different rules (verbs are not put together for instance).
    There are certain simple words that have multiple words in english, but only one word in dutch (from/of/off for instance) so you'll see that I make a lot of mistakes in that when I'm typing fast and not concentrating. (I hate to reread any post I've ever written, because those errors immediately jump at me when I read them again.)
    Then there are words that convey a feeling/emotion that can't be exactly translated into another language.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

Sorry, I was referring to the run before Age of X-Man, that leads up to it. Nate Grey’s first response was not to build that world, it was to try and fix ours. Age of X-Man comes about because he feels the world is better off without the X-Men so he takes a bunch of them to an alternate reality where he creates a “utopia” for them.

Before that he’s just focused on tearing down the abusive pillars of power in the world and fixing global warming. It’s only when the X-Men try to stop it he says “fuck it” and creates Age of X-Man.

• Options
    never die wrote: »

Sorry, I was referring to the run before Age of X-Man, that leads up to it. Nate Grey’s first response was not to build that world, it was to try and fix ours. Age of X-Man comes about because he feels the world is better off without the X-Men so he takes a bunch of them to an alternate reality where he creates a “utopia” for them.

Before that he’s just focused on tearing down the abusive pillars of power in the world and fixing global warming. It’s only when the X-Men try to stop it he says “fuck it” and creates Age of X-Man.

I mean, if Age of X-Man is his response, his initial idea was probably also flawed?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    UxmgzLc.jpg
    ce5B8bm.jpg

Bandai's gonna not only release a figure based on Toei's Spider-Man in August but they'll also be releasing a set in September that'll have a transformable Leopardon, a mini-Spidey with Spider-Machine and for the first time a wearable copy of the Spider-Bracelet, the device which both transforms Takuya Yamashiro into Spider-Man and summons Leopardon.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    man don't show me that while im already preordering the reprint of the chogokin gaogaigar figure

im gonna be out like 500$ for these toy robots

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Non-Marvel post:

Having a bit more free time due to not having to travel 4 hours a day, I got around to reading some trades I picked up before the outbreak, both Image trades.

- Dead Eyes vol 1. Retired masked criminal Dead Eyes returns to his old job to pay for his wife's medical bills. Duggan writing, McCrea on art. Duggan is a good writer, McCrea is a great artist. End result is kinda meh. It feels like a Brubaker/Philips thing, but not quite that quality. It's ok, but there is more out there that I'm more willing to spend my money on.

- Reaver vol 1. Already had part of this in singles, but missed an issue and backordering single issues with Image Comics is nearly impossible. Justin Jordan and Rebekah Isaacs do the Dirty Dozen in a fantasy setting. A war between two nations escalates when one of the nations start using mass sacrifices to fuel their magic, allowing them to spy on their opponent anywhere. A sorcerer and his mute bodyguard take four condemned prisoners to take out the isolated prison where the rituals are performed. It's Jordan so it's very violent and gorey, it's Isaacs so it's looking pretty good. I like it a lot, especially the reveal at the end (though I do wonder where the story will be going from here), but the hyperviolence will probably be a turn off for some.

Unrelated: Stjepan Šejić has released all six trades of Sunstone as free downloadable PDFs (and I think he has released Death Vigil before) through his twitter so people will have something to read while sitting at home these days. It's one of my favourite comics from recent years (due to humble bundle I also already own it all like three times now including the paper versions). It's also Top Cow's most successful comic ever (including the comics they made during the 90s speculator boom) so it's not just me. Adult content warning though (nudity, sex, BDSM) so if you're bothered by that, it might not be for you.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Diamond Distributing is closing indefinitely due to COVID-19. This will probably kill most of the direct market.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Diamond Distributing is closing indefinitely due to COVID-19. This will probably kill most of the direct market.

Disney and AT&T can both come up with actual nonbullshit distribution platforms if they gave a shit. The smaller publishers may be in trouble.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    it all depends on how the government's stimulus pans out, but wouldn't it be weird if this is what kills Diamond's monopoly?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Unfortunately, it'd probably take down almost all of the local comic book stores with them

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    At the risk of being a bit of a downer, I wouldn't be holding my breath for most hobbyist stores to be making it out of this anyway.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I want to read some Dr. Strange. What's on Unlimited and is a good starting point?

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it'd probably take down almost all of the local comic book stores with them

I mean, I think shutting down is worse, but my impression was that most shops had to diversify because comics were not much of a moneymaker as is.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

I mean, I think shutting down is worse, but my impression was that most shops had to diversify because comics were not much of a moneymaker as is.

A good chunk of what they diversified into is also distributed by Diamond. Although Magic is what mostly keeps stores alive... and those sales aren't going to be too hot right now either.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I want to read some Dr. Strange. What's on Unlimited and is a good starting point?

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment, Doctor Strange: The Oath, and Strange (2009) are good self-contained Doctor Strange stories to start out with

Doctor Strange (2015) is probably the best starting point for an ongoing Doctor Strange series

• Options
    Of those you listed, the only one I can find on Unlimited is the 2015 run, so I'll just start there. Should keep me occupied for some time, thanks!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Miss America Chavez is a Marvel comics superhero who was created by Joe Casey and Nick Dragotta. She was a minor character in their book, and rose to prominence with Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers, where she had a leading role - during this time many of the details of her character were refined and fleshed out.

America Vasquez is an Image comics superhero who was created by Joe Casey and Nick Dragotta. She is, rather blatantly, a rip-off of their own work (which, fine, whatever), as well as the work of Gillen and McKelvie (a lot more questionable) whose comic is marketed as being by the creators of Miss America Chavez.

Thank you for the summary, I was confused as fuck somewhere in there.

I miss Young Avengers.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Of those you listed, the only one I can find on Unlimited is the 2015 run, so I'll just start there. Should keep me occupied fhttps://www.marvel.com/comics/series/9011/strange_2009_-_2010or some time, thanks!

That's weird, they're all there.

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment

Doctor Strange: The Oath

Strange (2009 - 2010)

• Options
    Boy I sure am glad you're better at navigating their website than I am. I searched and searched and found fuck all.

This discussion has been closed.