As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Half-Life] 25th Anniversary Update and Documentary

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I don't even know if it's a spoiler, but spoilered reaction anyways.
    No. That's too raw. Don't toy with my emotions Valve. That had better just be about Alyx.

I legit choked up for a second there.

With the T-Minus 4, yeah, that's totally a countdown to Monday.

But still... my heart...

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Rare interview with Gabe Newell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zXkwLs_lo

Apparently the next big thing he's look at is mind/body to machine interfaces which is cool, but if I have to get elective surgery to play Half-Life 3 I'm gonna riot.

I'm going to immediately read wayyyyy too much into something.
    He talks about making people feel things, like cold.

It's probably just an example.

But... HL:3 was supposed to take place in the Arctic, at least in part...

Soooooooo....

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Rare interview with Gabe Newell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zXkwLs_lo

Apparently the next big thing he's look at is mind/body to machine interfaces which is cool, but if I have to get elective surgery to play Half-Life 3 I'm gonna riot.

Stuff like this interview just reinforces for me why Valve games don't hold as much interest for me anymore, he's interested in the future, and I am interested as a customer in getting revenge for making Alyx cry. Which is fine, its their prerogative, especially since they figured out how to be a platform I can just find my varied interests with some other Indie developer and they still get a portion of my money for their future explorations.

I hope one day they will let someone else make Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 then, because they've fully convinced me at this point they aren't interested in cranking out Half-Life in the same way I am interested in purchasing it, they've let that vine wither whether they like it or not.

That said, I really hope all those into VR enjoy the hell out of Alyx, I'll gladly watch your streams or videos.

steam_sig.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I don't give a shit about Half-Life 3. What I do want them to do is just fucking release the script or novella, or book, or SOMETHING about Episode 3. give us some dang closure.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I don't give a shit about Half-Life 3. What I do want them to do is just fucking release the script or novella, or book, or SOMETHING about Episode 3. give us some dang closure.

Laidlaw already did that.

https://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

Hardtarget wrote: »

Laidlaw already did that.

https://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

ya but i want a official version with real names and like expanded, etc

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Half Life Alyx is available for preload now. Can't wait for Monday!

Wow, HL: Alyx is a 60 gig install. I didn't think it was going to be that huge. I'm glad I cleared off space on my SSD!

• SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    It said 67 when I started it, but the actual download page said 48. I don't know.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Steam installs generally conflate the game size to a different download size. I think it's to make sure you don't download a 30 GB game into 40GB of space, then end up without enough space leftover to unpack and install.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Isn't Project Borealis supposed to be Half Life 2 Episode 3, building off Laidlaws not so subtle Epistle 3?

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    Half Life Alyx is available for preload now. Can't wait for Monday!

I don't have the setup to play it but i'm excited to watch some youtubers run through it. I think it looks great

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    A new half-life game is unlocking! I'm very excited. I'm streaming it as soon as it finishes but jeez it is taking forever to unpack.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md
    never forget.

I just read through it again since the first time it came out and it's actually more complete then I remembered!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    I kept meaning to grab epistle3.com, put a corrected version of the blog post on there with some ep3 concept art, but I never got around to it.

Also, holy shit a new Half-Life game!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Well, you can do that with a keyboard and mouse. If you know how make animations for games and have access to the game code to put it in and many hours of free time, it's as easy as tying all of that to an action button!

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I feel like a jerk when I squish the bugs into health juice.

Hey so this game is real good.

Also very scary.

SniperGuy wrote: »

Also very scary.

You streaming?

steam_sig.png

Also very scary.

You streaming?

I just finished about three hours of it if you wanna see the beginning!
    (Starts about 45 minutes in thanks to the damn unpack taking forever, and I do turn my camera off after a bit since it isn't placed to show my whole room.)

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    It seems one of my base stations is broken, so I guess I won't be playing this for a while.

sXXjb1B.png
  • TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    Got about an hour of play in. Had great fun being back into that world. The atmosphere is done really well and am looking forward to more

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Somebody has released a name-swapped Epistle 3 with the real character names in place of the fake ones, if it really bothers you that much.

But also, around the time of Epistle 3, Laidlaw went on Twitter and elaborated slightly on the ideas brought forth in that blog entry. He talks about how he would have wanted to bring certain people back, but real life stuff like a voice actor dying in the last 13 years made certain things he wanted to do impossible.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    With all that said, the reviews for HL Alyx seem positive. Apparently the game is really scary?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    With all that said, the reviews for HL Alyx seem positive. Apparently the game is really scary?

I’d love it if steam VR came to Xbox - I wonder if the new series X is powerful enough to run it on max settings.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

any vr game with even vaguely quick moving monsters is going to cause some substantial percentage of people some real stomach dropping experiences. i imagine the effect fades over more vr exposure but vanilla hl2 in vr would be pretty scary for a lot of people just by dint of the viewpoint

obF2Wuw.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I’d love it if steam VR came to Xbox - I wonder if the new series X is powerful enough to run it on max settings.

If you go by Tflops, the Series X is on par with a 2080 Ti. But that's just more evidence how bad tflops is as an indicator, especially when comparing different architectures.

any vr game with even vaguely quick moving monsters is going to cause some substantial percentage of people some real stomach dropping experiences. i imagine the effect fades over more vr exposure but vanilla hl2 in vr would be pretty scary for a lot of people just by dint of the viewpoint
    Alyx has a lot of dark tunnels full of zombies and headcrabs leaping at you too. They're really well done but they are very frightening.

Fired it up, the menu screen is *gorgeous*, managed to get like 5 minutes in and then *something happened* and my game went all wonky.

I'm running this on a 970 (could be SLI engaged but isn't currently) and honestly, it was smoother and more beautiful than I expected in those first few minutes, but I'm hoping against hope that my PC isn't going to shit itself and die over this.

I just had to fix Beat Saber to work again (some user config bullshit apparently), I'm hoping that it was a lack of drive space or something. Loading Doom Eternal and a bunch of other stuff on had crushed my free space, so hopefully clearing a quarter terabyte out will solve that as well.

I dunno, I just work here. But the intro I saw was promising. Also good to know about the fear factor.

Also very scary.

You streaming?

I just finished about three hours of it if you wanna see the beginning!
    (Starts about 45 minutes in thanks to the damn unpack taking forever, and I do turn my camera off after a bit since it isn't placed to show my whole room.)

I would like to report back that Sniper and Waffles are adorable ... also thanks for showing off the game, glad you guys are having fun, you'll get the hang of not panicking eventually, yeah?

steam_sig.png
    I watched the ending of Alyx on youtube becuase the fuck if I can afford or have room for VR.

Broadly went the way I was expecting after finding out

1) this a full lenghth Half-Life game
    2) the gman is in it and
    3) your goal is to "save Eli Vance."

I played another 3 hours or so and I'm sitting here trying to catch my breath because that was some intense, terrifying shit.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/574739080?t=00h12m03s starts about 12 minutes in.

Here's some choice clips of me swearing and running away from a poison headcrab as I run out of ammo.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareAbnegateKimchiOSkomodo

and then I have to deal with it sooo THE CHAIR

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedFastHummingbirdDerp

I'm gonna go cry now

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Started playing Alyx, really great world so far. The gloves and shooting mechanics feel great. Only about 30 minutes in.

It’s pretty late so I’ll play more tomorrow but I’ll prob throw up a stream.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Watching Sniper playing it brings back some great HL2 vibes. really wish I had the means.

edited March 2020
    Having just replayed HL2, its super weird setting everything with modern level of fidelity.

Early game spoilers
    Lonely vortigaunt for best new character

Undead Scottsman on