As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Would it be worth poking through the main quest for this prior to wastelanders releasing?

I bought this on sale a bit after it first came out, I remember really liking all the critters (both from fallout 4 and the new ones) and environments but then I never played it much.

Yeah, you can do the main quest before Wastelanders; I ended up stumbling on side quests and did those first. I actually still haven’t completed the main quest yet, at level 61. With Wastelanders the main quest will still be there, and NPCs will point it out (overseer logs). The Scout Badge questline also gives you a backpack for extra space which is a good one to do. I think there’s posters around that can activate it if you haven’t grabbed it yet. I had fun just wandering around discovering locations.
    I've been itching for Fallout and thinking of giving 76 another shot. It doesnt mesh with my playstyle well though because I like to take my time and the mob respawn rate kills it for me. Is that something you can adjust on a private server? Galling to pay for it but looking at it through the lens of 'pay 12.99 for one month and binge the hell out of it' might work

Mobs seem to be put on a 6-10 minute respawn timer when killed, at which point they can be triggered to respawn again. They’ve added fast travel from inside buildings luckily in a recent patch, so isn’t as annoying as before.

Zavian on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I've been itching for Fallout and thinking of giving 76 another shot. It doesnt mesh with my playstyle well though because I like to take my time and the mob respawn rate kills it for me. Is that something you can adjust on a private server? Galling to pay for it but looking at it through the lens of 'pay 12.99 for one month and binge the hell out of it' might work

You can't adjust anything on private servers yet. You have no admin controls or anything. Just... privacy.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

You can't adjust anything on private servers yet. You have no admin controls or anything. Just... privacy.

Which might work out for him in the end, though. Because he won't have to wait for something to respawn only to have someone run through and kill it immediately.

• Options
    I feel like he has the opposite complaint: he plays slowly (as do I), and things respawn too fast.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Ugh that's like the 4th time today I've fucked up my reading comprehension.

In my (bad) defense I've been sick the past 24 hours so I'm really struggling.

• Options
    *sprays disinfectant in thread and runs off to wash hands*

:razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Ok so no real hurry that the original game experience will be totally replaced or anything like that.

I’ve been in the mood for a bethesda rpg for a bit but have played skyrim to death, may try it. I really love the fallout 4 critters and 76 has even more - I know people have made the point that some of them were basically skyrim reskins/ports but I don’t care - you could give me big mutant sabretooth tigers and elephants and it would be totally fine with me.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

This same thing is essentially what happened in Conan Exiles too. Most of their Early Access period and early post-release development was focused on PVP. And the community basically just shrugged and ignored it. And then the devs started producing PVE content - i.e. new dungeons, overhauls of all the major NPC camps, new recipes, hidden collectibles, and an entire shift in focus to PVE and even to roleplay and the game is actually very successful now. Funcom has said that Conan Exiles is like their most successful game ever. And most of that success happened like a year past release when they shifted their entire developmental focus to PVE.

Nobody seemed interested in the PVP aspect. And they tried to push that pretty hard for a while, and it never stuck.

Their original tagline for the game was "Build. Survive. Dominate." And specifically the Dominate portion of it has pretty much fallen to the wayside. Nobody cares. People just want to build and adventure.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ok so no real hurry that the original game experience will be totally replaced or anything like that.

I’ve been in the mood for a bethesda rpg for a bit but have played skyrim to death, may try it. I really love the fallout 4 critters and 76 has even more - I know people have made the point that some of them were basically skyrim reskins/ports but I don’t care - you could give me big mutant sabretooth tigers and elephants and it would be totally fine with me.
    They did an excellent job of creating new monsters based on actual West Virginia myths, including the Mothman. They’re adding more with Wastelanders as well

tylzncdk0smp.jpeg

Zavian on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Oh, also on this topic:

Way back when FO3 was current, I had the thought "this would be awesome to play with friends." And I had that same thought when playing FO4 as well. The thought being specifically that it would be neat to make towns and adventure with my friends.

Never even once did the thought come into my head that I want to play a PVP game set in the Fallout universe. That was not something I wanted or had any interest in. I wanted co-op Fallout 3/4.

Cut to E3 when Todd Howard is making the big announcement for Fallout 76 and he's talking about PVP and players being able to nuke the shit out of each other and I'm sitting there at home, watching the stream on my TV and my thought was "This is not the game I wanted. This is not the game anybody wanted."

Clearly I don't speak for everybody. But that was the thought I had. PVP Fallout was not an in-demand thing. It's not what people were asking for. And I'm a little surprised that Bethesda is surprised by the lack of interest in PVP. Like... who thought that would be an in-demand thing?

Just because people play and enjoy games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Fortnite, and Apex does not mean that there's a need for a post apocalyptic PVP shooter set in the Fallout universe.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The only "need" is for Bethesda to get some of that sweet sweet Fortnite money.

• Options
    The actual idea of Nuclear Winter, a simulated test vault, makes sense lore-wise and if it was integrated into the main game as an actual in game location I would probably play it as a questline. But making it a completely separate mode really didn’t make any sense. Why bother making all that lore if it’s just going to be a separate mode? They might integrate it with Wastelanders, but yeah they really wasted time with it

• Options
    ... I may have recently bought FO76 because of you guys.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m not sure where I got in the main story. I may have finished it, I got up to where you have to launch nukes and I couldn’t figure out how to down the drones or get keys.

Still I enjoyed it as just more environments to explore and things to shoot, I’ll definitely pop back in for wastelanders

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That's pretty much the end, once you get the keys it's just nuke time and all that consists of is a smallish bunker fight and a nuke you've seen dozens of times already.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m not sure where I got in the main story. I may have finished it, I got up to where you have to launch nukes and I couldn’t figure out how to down the drones or get keys.

For the drones, you just have to shoot them a lot. If you're having trouble locating them, there's a terminal in the bunker command room that will put a quest marker on your map that tracks an active drone. I've only had to use it once, generally I'll just run into drones randomly while I'm out and about. One even flew over my camp once.

For actually decrypting the codes, you can go here.

The actual launch process is kind of a slog, at least if you do it solo. It's a 30-45 minute long dungeon raid, and you end up burning through a ton of ammo if you're a gun user.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Wastelanders Gameplay video is now out, which is the footage from Bethesda Game Days without the commentary:
    https://youtu.be/LuPrbp6kx6M
    They've also added a Q&A to the latest Inside The Vault:
    Can we still launch nukes in Wastelanders? If so, what happens to settlements like Crater and Foundation?
    You can definitely still launch nukes in Wastelanders. This isn’t the Raiders’ or the Settlers’ first rodeo, either. They will jump into their own hazmat suits to protect themselves from radiation.
    Does the Wastelanders storyline override the story in the base game?
    No. We’ve worked to weave the new Wastelanders story into what’s already there in the base game. New characters will still be able to complete all base game content in addition to the new quests. Also, some of what you accomplished in the base game story will have a role to play in Wastelanders.
    Is Wastelanders going to be strictly solo play, or will team play be an option?
    You can play through the new story content solo or as part of a team. If you’re the Team Leader, your teammates can also choose to “Listen in” as you have conversations with different NPCs during your quests.
    Are major balance changes coming with Wastelanders?
    During an event last year, we had discussed a balance pass coming with Wastelanders, but since then have revised those plans. At Bethesda Game Days, we mentioned that we want to make all regions of Appalachia engaging for characters of all levels in the future, and that is where we will plan to focus our balancing efforts.
    How are you combating exploits and improving security?
    We take exploits and cheating seriously and we’re working to address cheating and close out exploits as often as possible. For example, earlier this year we implemented tech that enables us to address certain issues and exploits without needing to bring the game offline for maintenance, which allows us to be more agile than before. We also still have plans to roll out multi-factor authentication, and we will have more details as we are nearer to its release.
    What are your plans for Fallout 76 after Wastelanders launches?
    During the panel, we mentioned that we already have plans for future content through this year that we’re excited about and that we hope you will love, too. We’re focused on releasing Wastelanders right now and will look to share more details about additional 2020 Fallout 76 content in the near future.
    Also, there's a community calendar with upcoming stuff:
    F76W-CommunityCalendar-1920x1080-EN.jpg

Zavian on
  • Options
    What are your plans for Fallout 76 after Wastelanders launches?

"We have plans. The best plans. We're excited about our plans. We'll tell you about these plans later. You'll be excited too."

Best non-answer ever.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I liked "Is Wastelanders going to be strictly solo play, or will team play be an option?", like there's a bunch of people saying "I want to do the new stuff in this online-only forced multiplayer game, but not by myself...."

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I liked "Is Wastelanders going to be strictly solo play, or will team play be an option?", like there's a bunch of people saying "I want to do the new stuff in this online-only forced multiplayer game, but not by myself...."

I want to phrase that question the other way around, but that says more about me than them. "Is Wastelanders going to be strictly team play, or will solo only be an option, so I never have to interact with these people?"

• Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Saw the Mothman when wandering in the forest. Possibly unwise but I got out my sniper rifle to get a closer look and on a whim took a shot. Hit it but it just flew up and disappeared. It was unnerving though to have it just appear in the distance staring at me with its red eyes.

Also - where do you go/what do you kill to get armor drops? I'd like to scrap them to get mods but I've seen close to 0 drops. Literally think its less then ten pieces compared to the hundreds of weapons I've grabbed off things.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Wait a minute.

I played last night and I don't think I even have a missile launcher!

Also, is there a place to get black powder weapons? I don't necessarily want them, you understand, but if they aren't unique, I can get rid of what I have.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait a minute.

Also, is there a place to get black powder weapons? I don't necessarily want them, you understand, but if they aren't unique, I can get rid of what I have.

They're kind of all over. The civil war museum always has a few in it, unless another player cleaned up before you get there. But I've found them all over the map.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    So started 76 last night. Ended up just walking out, doing the starter quest where you are supposed to learn about purifying water and cooking (so you can ‘help’ the dudes who are obviously all dead by this point). Walked out to the river, got into some side quest about clearing out some hostile farmbots. My pipe revolver seems to be total crap so I wound up desperately axe murdering them all.

This seems a bit harder than I remember the beginning of fallout 4 being.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Wait a minute.

I don't have a Fatman either!

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I have a rocket launcher.

When I played, after you shot it a cool tenth of its durability would sheen off instantly.

And rockets either weighed infinite or if you had the perk less than meds.

• Options
    So started 76 last night. Ended up just walking out, doing the starter quest where you are supposed to learn about purifying water and cooking (so you can ‘help’ the dudes who are obviously all dead by this point). Walked out to the river, got into some side quest about clearing out some hostile farmbots. My pipe revolver seems to be total crap so I wound up desperately axe murdering them all.

This seems a bit harder than I remember the beginning of fallout 4 being.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait a minute.

They're kind of all over. The civil war museum always has a few in it, unless another player cleaned up before you get there. But I've found them all over the map.

Good, because they are from like 20 levels ago. That's like 10 lbs right there I can free up.

• Options
    I went non-power armor melee build and didn’t look back. Mole man gauntlets have been my go to, but just got a three star legendary boxing glove that ignores 50% armor after scrapping a bunch of legendaries. There’s a few times I wish I had long range ability, especially for scorched beasts, but overall punching everything in sight has worked well enough for me, and I make some nice side money selling all the ammo I find to other players from my Camp

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    ok, the game itself is a bit hit or miss but I had a great moment a couple of nights ago.

I wanted to finish the main quest before Wastelanders so I rock up to silo alpha with my keycard. Immediately I find it tough going when some very high level enemies but I presevere and manage to get up the second last objective (repair the cores) but there are way too many robots around and even with hacking 3 to use the turrets I hit a brick wall. I am running low on stimpacks and wondering where I could get some more circuitry when an assaultron in front of me just explodes.

I turn around to see a level 350ish player in kickass power armour (and an awesome looking vault boy helmet) mowing robots down left right and centre. Needless to say the rest of the run was pretty easy after that and the guy even lets me do the honours and launch the nuke.

Great stuff.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So I have to admit, despite all the total bullshit and jank, Fallout 76 is growing on me more and more.

The first time I tried it I had shitty internet so that probably played a role in it catching on for me.

Its just really neat having a big wide open wilderness area to run around and loot and fight zombies in, that has its own wierd mutant ecosystems and everything.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Fallout: Frontier is still quietly chugging towards the finish line:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idiFq0WgFAA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGp_UgQnPIU

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Portland as frozen wasteland is certainly a take. I suppose there must have been some climate alterations as a result of the War, and/or that "rain, all the time 2/3 of the year" wasn't sexy enough.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I haven’t played this since release.

Did they ever change joe stash limits work or is it still 400/very limited.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    It was 600 last time I played

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It was 600 last time I played

That’s it? Ugh.

Ok thanks.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Pretty sure it's 800 now.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Yep, it’s 800 since last Feb

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Also, remember with you stash...there's a lot of junk that's just junk...just because you CAN pick it up, doesn't mean you need to pick it up.

• Options
    Also, remember with you stash...there's a lot of junk that's just junk...just because you CAN pick it up, doesn't mean you need to pick it up.

Also, make sure to scrap legendaries if you aren’t going to use them. There’s a legendary scrapping vending machine at most train stops I think. They can take up a lot of space!