As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP AND TEAR ETERNALLY

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Doom: Eternal came out today and I’ve played for a half hour or so and can say, without hyperbole, that this is the best fucking shooter I’ve ever played.

It’s everything amazing about Doom 2016 ratcheted up a notch with faster loading times.

The soundtrack gets you so pumped up the game needs to come with a warning for people with heart conditions.

RIP AND TEAR

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    People keep overlooking the fact that Doom Eternal isn't a game. It's a government-issued stealth personal training simulator for when Corona demons start invading and taking over Earth.

Why is no one talking about this?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have some actual work to do that is not ripping and tearing but once that's done RIP AND TEAR

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I feel like playing this game counts as calisthenics because my heart rate is up the whole time.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I ripped and tored last night through the first level and yo this is some motherfucking DOOM.

It's pretty good so far.

The intro is not as good as DOOM (2016)'s intro but the murder is super good and so far, the platforming is totally fine.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I have some actual work to do that is not ripping and tearing but once that's done RIP AND TEAR

Nonsense

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    The sound when you *POP* a Cacodemon eyeball is very silly and I like it and the battle damage enemies take is very cool and very gross.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The sound when you *POP* a Cacodemon eyeball is very silly and I like it and the battle damage enemies take is very cool and very gross.

Streeeeetch...POP

Oh man!

The Doot Revenant!

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Do I need to rip and tear in that order or can I reverse it?

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I like this game's increased emphasis on using the chainsaw

Shorty wrote: »
    I like this game's increased emphasis on using the chainsaw

I often forgot about it in the first game. Definitely can’t do that here.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Remember to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds after ripping and tearing

The loading times are so much better

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Remember to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds after ripping and tearing

I actually have to because my hands sweat so much while playing. I should clean my keyboard and mouse, I'm sure they're fuckin gross now

JtgVX0H.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm ripping and tearing so many things.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I also like how it doesn't waste any time giving you rad shit

"have a shotgun. do you want it to be full auto? yes of course you do"

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    copying my post from the GT Doom thread
    Also, this game fucking owns.
    Started on Nightmare, almost done with Cultist Base (level 3) and I haven't turned it down yet. 1-tried the first Slayer gate without dying, and then immediately lost 3 of my 5 extra lives on the next fight after it lmao
    Cultist Base has been the first thing in the game that's really hard, I died almost 20 times on
    the outdoor fight after you cross a drawbridge, it's the first big fight after they introduce the whiplashes.
    Fuck Whiplashes and Hell Knights btw

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cool, there is a demo of the previous game on PS4

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Oh my god, i can't believe I am legit saying this but, spoilers for doom
    This game confirms that you are 1990s Doomguy in a non-Doomguy dimension and that explains so much

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    This game is amazing!

I love how cheesy the whole thing is.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Is the horror about the same? I don't mind tearing through monsters but some of the darker corridors with moaning in the background were too much for me in the last game.

Quid on
    I haven't encountered any spooky shit at all and I'm really sensitive to that kind of thing

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    In DOOM, You are The Horror.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Quid wrote: »
    Is the horror about the same? I don't mind tearing through monsters but some of the darker corridors with moaning in the background were too much for me.

I don’t remember any of the first game being scary so I’m assuming I’m the wrong person to ask

yeah the fact that you're easily the biggest threat in any room does a lot to obliterate any sense of fear in these games

like I'm the biggest wiener kid when it comes to spooky games and I spent most of doom cackling my way through hell and gore

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Is the horror about the same? I don't mind tearing through monsters but some of the darker corridors with moaning in the background were too much for me in the last game.

So
    This one is one non-stop heavy metal album cover. There's almost zero anything that is actually scary. Like the closest thing to a jump scare is the tentacles but you can see where they are hiding with practice. Its bright colours all the way.

The only time I’ve jumped at all is when a
    tentacle pops out of the sludge

Only the first time though

Fuck this game is so good. It took everything good from DOOM 2016 and made it even better. More cool story stuff, fuckin rad environments, even more frenetic and violent combat, the music is just as awesome if not better than 2016's, and there's so many fucking options for combat that at times it's hard to keep track of what I can do at any given moment. Shoot a demon, use a shotgun grenade on another, lob one of my shoulder grenades at a group of mooks, dash towards more, use the flame belch to set some shit on fire and then murder it, chainsaw some fodder to get ammo back, shoot baddies and do glory kills to get health back, do some sick acrobatics to move across the arena, and then start it all over again until there's nothing left to murder.

It feels so fucking good doing it too.

JtgVX0H.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck this game is so good. It took everything good from DOOM 2016 and made it even better. More cool story stuff, fuckin rad environments, even more frenetic and violent combat, the music is just as awesome if not better than 2016's, and there's so many fucking options for combat that at times it's hard to keep track of what I can do at any given moment. Shoot a demon, use a shotgun grenade on another, lob one of my shoulder grenades at a group of mooks, dash towards more, use the flame belch to set some shit on fire and then murder it, chainsaw some fodder to get ammo back, shoot baddies and do glory kills to get health back, do some sick acrobatics to move across the arena, and then start it all over again until there's nothing left to murder.

It feels so fucking good doing it too.

I'm constantly forgetting to set dudes on fire or throw grenades because there is just so much going on.

It's pretty funny to me that this is all about being spiderman with a gun, when in the OG Doom you can't even look up.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Game rules so far

My only (relatively minor) complaint is that it's a lot more... Look, I liked how in 2016 Doom the various Doom bullshit was translated into a more 'plausible' thing - like your keycards were found on corpses, etc. I realize they're trying to make it more like OG Doom in that respect, but I kind of liked the attempts to make it seem... plausible, I guess?

Anyway the game is very fun and I am enjoying the stupid lore bullshit

Oh man...The Ripatorium

Oh man...The Ripatorium

just came here to say this is the best room in the game

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love this fucking game

This is one of those sequels where they knew what worked the first time and made sure to listen to the people playing the game to improve it

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    actually two complaints

1. I don't love a lot of the platforming
    2. what's up with fast travel? the second mission tells you that once you're right at the end of a level you can fast travel around to pick up secrets, and that... hasn't seemed to be available at all since that tip popped up

For some reason I kind of love the platforming. Especially the trapeze swinging

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    You know, this makes me want to play Doom 2016 instead.

They really made Doom Eternal a viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiideo game.

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    actually two complaints

1. I don't love a lot of the platforming
    2. what's up with fast travel? the second mission tells you that once you're right at the end of a level you can fast travel around to pick up secrets, and that... hasn't seemed to be available at all since that tip popped up

You should just pull up your map and there's some options. It'll be like general area and then specific points in that area and you just hit the button and ate like immediately warped there, it's great.

Shorty wrote: »
    Oh man...The Ripatorium

just came here to say this is the best room in the game

no I was wrong it's actually the doom slayer's man cave

When playing I feel like Sonic the hedgehog after doing 20 rails of coke. This game is perfect

JtgVX0H.png