As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP AND TEAR ETERNALLY

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    The picture to the left of the door in the doom slayer's den is precious.

I greatly appreciate that they put in music from past Id softoware games. Into Sandy's City from Doom 2 is a very good song, and what I listen most of the time I'm in the fortress.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Oh man...The Ripatorium

just came here to say this is the best room in the game

no I was wrong it's actually the doom slayer's man cave

Did you look at the books?!?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    To everyone having a hard time with the controls, abilities, movement, and the opening feeling a bit narratively loose and the arcadey nature of it, just stick with it. You become so used to it all it’s instinct and it gets so satisfying, there are some wonderful sights and moments and lots of humour and fun with the energy of the 2016 doom guy very much present. Moments like just smashing the canister in 2016 abound and there’s new clever stuff too. Trust me just keep ripping and tearing

Also remember you get different glory kills depending on the angle of attack, some of the best ones are from behind or leg sweeps etc. like ripping the head and spine off those new bigger imp dudes

Prohass on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ok fine I'll buy this. I guess.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Yo this game fucking rules

I feel like I need a cigarette after like every fight

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man...The Ripatorium

just came here to say this is the best room in the game

no I was wrong it's actually the doom slayer's man cave

Did you look at the books?!?

yes! there are some good jokes and references there

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I love the auto shotgun mod so much

it's everything I wanted it to be

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fifty Shades of Slay

Oh man, the lore in this game, the lore! Especially later on, the revelations! I’m so glad I wasn’t spoiled on any of this

I love the auto shotgun mod so much

it's everything I wanted it to be

There’s an ability you unlock with it that turns it into a death machine

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna be playing Eternal for a little bit; right now I'm just playing 2016. Using the Switch Pro Controller, with really high turn-speed, and then gyro controls with very slow mouselook, gives a great sense of control and accuracy. I've turned aim assist off and it has not affected my accuracy one jot!

However

I'm using the "tactical" controller layout, which puts Jump on the left shoulder button—right where I want it! But it also puts melee on A instead of the right thumb-stick, which is now my grenade. I didn't want that switch, game!

You're a PC game, let me just remap these within the game itself

dN0T6ur.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yo this game fucking rules

I feel like I need a cigarette after like every fight

I have been taking a break after every level, but I'm on the gore nest and I had to take a break after just a few battles. It's so fucking frenetic and intense and it focuses me to a laser point, but it's exhausting.

This game is fucking perfect.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The best glory kill is still when doomguy just DOONKs the low-level mook on the head and their head gets squished into their neck

edited March 2020
    Oh man some of the later boss fights really show off the damage system on the demons so well. It’s so satisfying to fight a boss and actually see how fucked up it is as the fight goes on

Prohass on
    The best glory kill is still when doomguy just DOONKs the low-level mook on the head and their head gets squished into their neck

I think my favorite is when you glory kill an arachnotron from behind

(spoiling just in case)
    You just...flip him over onto this back and he instantly explodes

It's really funny for how not gory it is

Tied with from behind arachnatron one, where you literally just yeet throw the poor thing onto it’s head and it explodes

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    This game! This fucking game! I just finished the level they showed off in the promo materials, with the giant cannon.
    This whole level. Doomguy's approach to finding hidden cities. Hayden's lines. Doomguy's methods of getting to Mars! Just holy shit, this is perfect. I am entertained, game.

This game is ridiculous and fun.

I can't believe they made an Actually Good Sequel

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just got the Super Shotgun and the part right before it is so fucking cool

I find the secret encounters way harder than the slayer gates, cos you use up all your ammo and extra lives, plus the time restrictions basically require trial and error to figure out the optimal path

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I keep reading this thread title as rip and tear eventually

Hey, it's installed now, I was playing Warhammer:Inquisitor and got distracted. Time to go kill a different type of demon.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Hey, it's installed now, I was playing Warhammer:Inquisitor and got distracted. Time to go kill a different type of demon.

Let me pitch you this... They are the same type of demon.

Ultimate crossover event.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The intro is not as good as DOOM (2016)'s intro

Y'know, you're not wrong, but god damn did it still get me hyped.

Also, I appreciate that they skip the trial stuff with runes, I did that all last game, thank you for just letting me Superman fly to glory kill targets.

Ok, NOW I'm actually gonna open & play this game!

I was working on all the settings when I ended up in a long phone call with my dad about SARS2 stuff. Def wanna kill some demons now (He's healthy and still getting paid to work from home! In Texas!)

I don’t know how anyone could play this on nightmare, especially first go. Ultra violence is insane and the normal difficulty is basically ultra violence from 2016 turned way up

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I don’t know how anyone could play this on nightmare, especially first go. Ultra violence is insane and the normal difficulty is basically ultra violence from 2016 turned way up

Yeah, I'm playing on Ultra Violence (I usually play games on normal, even DOOM 2016) and some of the secret arenas and slayer gates are kicking my ass. I had to stop attempting this latest gate and just finish the level. I'll come back to it later, but I want to beat the game first.

JtgVX0H.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Thinkin' I wanna do another full playthrough of DOOM 2016 before I jump into this one.

I got the Bethesda client version, not steam version, this is the first time I've had a major studio game release crash on me like this. I've had it straight green screen and also just freeze after a save node.

edited March 2020
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, I'm playing on Ultra Violence (I usually play games on normal, even DOOM 2016) and some of the secret arenas and slayer gates are kicking my ass. I had to stop attempting this latest gate and just finish the level. I'll come back to it later, but I want to beat the game first.

I like that a lot of the difficulty isn’t from just upping health on enemies tho, it’s from how they position enemies to be real bastards. Like putting a mancubus in a small room, so you have to scramble for every inch of distance between you and him. Or putting traps that can kill like 5 enemies at once, or kill you instantly if you activate it sloppily right on your own head

I’m almost at the end I just adore the game, it’s very different from 2016 so depending on tastes it won’t please everyone, but I think it expands on everything whilst keeping the core there, both in terms of combat, lore, and the slayers attitude. It feels like Aliens to Doom 2016s Alien

Prohass on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I like that a lot of the difficulty isn’t from just upping health on enemies tho, it’s from how they position enemies to be real bastards. Like putting a mancubus in a small room, so you have to scramble for every inch of distance between you and him. Or putting traps that can kill like 5 enemies at once, or kill you instantly if you activate it sloppily right on your own head

I’m almost at the end I just adore the game, it’s very different from 2016 so depending on tastes it won’t please everyone, but I think it expands on everything whilst keeping the core there, both in terms of combat, lore, and the slayers attitude. It feels like Aliens to Doom 2016s Alien

There is a hallway near the middle of the game with electrified walls. Pretty narrow. They spawn two hell knights on you. Fortunately I had enough ammo in my chain gun with the shield mod to chew them up.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hurt me plenty is hard enough for me.

I have trouble with fine aiming without right clicking, for some reason.

But yeah, great game

Fencingsax on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Game rules so far

My only (relatively minor) complaint is that it's a lot more... Look, I liked how in 2016 Doom the various Doom bullshit was translated into a more 'plausible' thing - like your keycards were found on corpses, etc. I realize they're trying to make it more like OG Doom in that respect, but I kind of liked the attempts to make it seem... plausible, I guess?

Anyway the game is very fun and I am enjoying the stupid lore bullshit

Yeah it definitely feels very much more like a video game

Which is odd, because the previous game also straight up has floating power ups you could collect, so it’s hard to articulate why this feels quite so different

The humor and tone feels so much more front and center, and a bit less... straight-faced

It also felt like there was a commitment to the first person perspective for cutscenes that this game doesn’t have, and the skins are neat but I would have preferred the former honestly!

But also the core gameplay feels exactly how I wanted it to, so I’m not complaining much

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    I just got the Super Shotgun and the part right before it is so fucking cool

Question about this part
    Did anyone else just immediately blast that Revenant once you were done with him

I did, but I've heard others didn't, and I'm curious if I'm in the minority

Also I feel like I'm pretty far into this game and holy shit, was the last mission I just played awesome

Vague spoilers to help place it
    Took care of the third hell priest

Actual for real spoilers
    Holy shit, that level

Doomguy is just literally Doomguy! That's so fucking stupid and I love it so much! "Rip and Tear" is Canon!

That boss fight at the end was cool, and that music

I wonder, could you have taken Khan Makyr up on her offer? Turn around and leave? I'm guessing no, but it'd be cool as an alternate ending

Also I feel like I'm pretty far into this game and holy shit, was the last mission I just played awesome

Actual for real spoilers
    Holy shit, that level

Doomguy is just literally Doomguy! That's so fucking stupid and I love it so much! "Rip and Tear" is Canon!

I wonder, could you have taken Khan Makyr up on her offer? Turn around and leave? I'm guessing no, but it'd be cool as an alternate ending

I had the biggest stupidest grin during these revelations

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    This is one of those sequels where they knew what worked the first time and made sure to listen to the people playing the game to improve it

I feel the opposite. The only thing I think is an improvement is the dash. Otherwise, nearly everything is at least a little bit worse.

I'm glad everyone seems to be loving it, but for me, this game is merely okay. I wanted more Doom 2016 and this isn't that.

That’s crazy, I mean it’s very different, but I struggle to get why some people are finding it worse. They must have liked aspects of doom 2016 that I didn’t. I feel like the gameplay in this is just a revelation, it’s so much damn fun and I’d find it impossible to go back to 2016 gameplay after this

edited March 2020

Actual for real spoilers
    Holy shit, that level

There’s one other major revelation that I loved from a nerdy lore perspective, end game spoilers
    that Vega is the god being that gave the heaven Ai race life, and that he was stolen and memory wiped by Samuel Hayden. That is one evil dude! Also love giving Vega a backstory since I liked him in the first game

Also the plasma burst fire when you do it up close to a bunch of heavies and their skin just flails from their bodies in a big wave

Chefs kiss

I also love the hunt for a fodder enemy when you’re surrounded by heavies but out of ammo. It’s like get out of the way fatties!

Prohass on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Ugh, just had the game crash on me in Slayer Gate #4, on my best attempt yet. To be fair, I did have the game open for about 11 and a half hours today lmao

These later Slayer Gates are really fucked! I'm on Nightmare, and using a controller due to arm and shoulder nerve pain, it's a bad idea!
    DOUBLE TYRANT INTO DOOM HUNTER are you FUCKING kidding me

god this game fucking rules