As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Social Isolation = Solium Infernum time?

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
I mean they both have the same initials and all.

So there's an excellent arcane wargame called Solium Infernum you can play by email. Hexes and demonic legions and wars and backstabbing and treachery.

MainMapClose.jpg

This is the game website:

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SI/Solium_Infernum.html

And this is an online game log to give you an idea how it can go down:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/gameboys-from-hell/

Or we have a few threads on this here forum from over the years (that are likely messes of broken Photobucket images by now).

It's a long haul playing by email but we probably have quite a few people with the time right now...

Any takers?

MhCw7nZ.gif

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I played the mega game of this that Matev ran a while back and loved it. Bought the game, didn't play it very much and am relatively terrible because of it.

But I'd love to play! I can be fodder for those experienced folks (or maybe just the agent of chaos whose terrible moves really screw up your plans!).

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I could be talked into flailing my way through some SI again. Had fun with the last game.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Big old @ list copied from the last Solium Infernum thread in... 2015!?

Oh man, the passing of time.

I suspect many of these will be dead accounts.

@rend
    @BigBadWolf
    @Capfalcon
    @kaorti
    @Auralynx
    @farangu
    @fadingathedges
    @TheOtherHorseman
    @MrBody
    @kaliyama
    @Smaug6
    @Phyphor
    @jakobagger
    @Moridin889

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I have forgotten 100% of how this game works and also didn't do great last time I think

But sure, I'm in

Hail Satan!

• Options
    We can roll with four but anther couple would be good. I don't tend to frequent SE++ so if anyone knows a good thread to try and recruit in there please feel free to do so.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm up for it!
    Need to buy the game I guess?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'm up for it!
    Need to buy the game I guess?

Or recover an install, yeah. I'll have to finally get around to archiving stuff off my old PC.

I remember someone contacting the devs to recover their install info the last go-around.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Alright done. Gonna get this sucker installed.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Okay, looks like a game of 5. PM me your email addresses and I can get this show on the road. Default settings for map etc I assume?

Post up your avatar so we don't duplicate. Bagsy monocle demon for me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Oh nuts, was totally going to take that one.

Alright, I'll be the Robed Death looking guy standing next to the big Gryffin.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Right, installation was surprisingly painless once I dug the email up. Now to try and remember literally anything about this fucking game.

I'll be androgynous hottie lying on pillows I think

• Options
    Horse-head guy once more, I believe!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Going with
    Moody Chiaroscuro
    Monster Limbs
    Calvin Klein Model

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Invites sent. I hope we get more than one game in because 5 years on from the last time played I have no idea what I'm doing in creating a character.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Dump it all in Presence and just demand everything from everyone.

• Options
    Invites sent. I hope we get more than one game in because 5 years on from the last time played I have no idea what I'm doing in creating a character.

What I remember is that going all-in on throwing fire rituals at people worked for me last time, so I'm trying something else, naturally.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Remind me what in the Hell dodo I do with the invite file?

Also how am character work.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Alright figured it out. Well, the character I kind of did whatever, let's see how much I fucked up! My demon is named Jakobhael which I hope is recognizable enough. Wanted it to still also be somewhat flavourful because I'm that type of dork.

But anyway I've joined and sent back a save, I hope.

What a laughably archaic UX but it has its own charm I suppose. Like a cranky, difficult grandparent.

PS. out of curiosity, how's our general time zone situation? I'm technically GMT+1 but on the other hand I guess it doesn't matter because I for one am already completely unstuck from any sort of normal schedule after a few days off work and inside.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I didn’t bother with a demon name. Figured it’d be a little funnier when the “chosen of AustinP0027” are wandering around hell.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    I'm central time.
    Not sure if I picked Lig or Prane, but if you see that avatar, that will be me!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    And we're off!

q74rgms5fnrb.png

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Oh man, it's all coming back, how vital those early moves and how much maths involved in trying to predict the combat.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ugh, got a real shitty looking starting spot.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I just want to say, I know nothing about this game, but I am very interested in seeing what kinds of shenanigans fall out of it. It sounds kinda amazing.

Good luck, and god(?) speed to all!

*returns to lurking*

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    For some reason the board reminds me of some of the maps from Moonbase Commander. Now I want to buy the Steam version of that.

On topic; I think I might try to join the next time you guys run one of these.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Solium is a very fun game and good for bite-sized gaming for sure.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    For some reason the board reminds me of some of the maps from Moonbase Commander. Now I want to buy the Steam version of that.

I mean I guess.
    I'd have probably signed up though if I could throw demons at someone's head.

• Options
    Infernal Census is on by the way. So occasionally we’ll get prestige for number of hexes owned.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Already regretting a bunch of my choices

You guys' legions seem way more badass.

Also, what determines the number of orders you get a turn?

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »

Pretty sure that's Charisma. Check the manual! We all will be at some point.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    All the stats other than Diabolism give an extra order if high enough. See pg 44 of the manual.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Big old @ list copied from the last Solium Infernum thread in... 2015!?

Oh man, the passing of time.

I suspect many of these will be dead accounts.

I . . . live . . . again

I will happily follow along on this, have fun guys! Maybe I can even access a way to reinstall for another day.

• Options
    3vw52s2sa96c.png

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Glad to see we've reached incidental agreement about who's going what direction, Jam.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Pretty clear who likely was bidding on that manuscript there Jako.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Glad to see we've reached incidental agreement about who's going what direction, Jam.

Well, with turn order as it was you were always going to win a race for the wheel.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Hmm. A lot to learn here. Sorry for the delay on that first turn. Had sent the wrong file.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Hmm. A lot to learn here. Sorry for the delay on that first turn. Had sent the wrong file.

There's a lot riding on your ability to seize those PoPs before Jam Warrior does, I can tell you that much.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Perhaps...
    Virgil wiggles their fingers mysteriously

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »

Pretty sure that's Charisma. Check the manual! We all will be at some point.

For sure, I've been reading through that and the wiki.
    Pretty clear who likely was bidding on that manuscript there Jako.

No I'm doing some other nothing moves while I sit here and really regret making my legions slow and lazy

No manuscripts for me.