As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steven Universe] Be Thankful Rose Quartz Ain’t Yo’ Mama (open spoilers)

1234568»

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It very much feels like
    The end of this is Steven going to be driving away from Beach City on his own, like how the credits suggest. The thing with Connie will be young love that won't survive her going away to college. Everyone else has their own thing - it's time for Steven to find out what his thing is.

"Growing Pains" was chilling, seeing the x-ray of Steven's skeleton and touching on his suppressed PTSD.

Also Peridot is Steven's best friend. Forget Amethyst.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    It very much feels like
    The end of this is Steven going to be driving away from Beach City on his own, like how the credits suggest. The thing with Connie will be young love that won't survive her going away to college. Everyone else has their own thing - it's time for Steven to find out what his thing is.

"Growing Pains" was chilling, seeing the x-ray of Steven's skeleton and touching on his suppressed PTSD.

Also Peridot is Steven's best friend. Forget Amethyst.

Hadn't thought about the spoiler, but now that you brought it up it does seem pretty likely.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    That last episode was long overdue. Was not expecting it to come from Connie's mom, but after thinking it over, I don't know who else has both the knowledge and distance from everything to call it correctly.

Waiting for Friday to find out what's next is agony.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    So, uh...yea. That's a nadir, alright;; Holy shit.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I can't believe we finally saw
    a Gem get shattered...and Steven did it.

I mean, he was able to heal Jasper, too, so at least now he knows he could hypothetically restore other shattered Gems.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Well, it took 16 years, but Steven finally figured out…
    …that his dad is kind of a loser.

• Options
    Hooooooooooooly shit. Goddamn.
    The stuff with Greg was heartbreaking. Yeah, Greg isn't a perfect dad - nobody's perfect, but he was trying to do his best. And he's still trying. But Steven just hates everyone right now.

But let's be real, the big gutpunch was that last minute of Fragments. I'm trying to remember the last time I literally gasped and put my hand over my mouth watching television. Maybe early Game of Thrones or the first season of West World?

This is wild. And only going to get WORSE.

• Options
    The stuff with Greg was heartbreaking. Yeah, Greg isn't a perfect dad - nobody's perfect, but he was trying to do his best. And he's still trying.
    Steven was literally crying out for just a tiny amount of structure and discipline in his life.

You have to be pretty clueless to respond to that with, "I respect and support your decision to yell at me."

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The stuff with Greg was heartbreaking. Yeah, Greg isn't a perfect dad - nobody's perfect, but he was trying to do his best. And he's still trying.
    Steven was literally crying out for just a tiny amount of structure and discipline in his life.

You have to be pretty clueless to respond to that with, "I respect and support your decision to yell at me."

Yeah honestly this should have happened a little sooner

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

I dunno, I think this was a pretty human moment for Greg. People do that thing where they regress when put back into old situations... Greg might be a grown-ass man but going back though his old house and reliving his adolescence he felt like a suppressed kid again. It's not surprising to me that, in that moment, he had a huge blind spot.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I dunno, I think this was a pretty human moment for Greg. People do that thing where they regress when put back into old situations... Greg might be a grown-ass man but going back though his old house and reliving his adolescence he felt like a suppressed kid again. It's not surprising to me that, in that moment, he had a huge blind spot.
    Yeah, Greg was not in a headspace to really understand what Steven was saying at that point in time. He was making a basic mistake many parents also make: trying something that worked for them and expecting it to work for their kid. I think his apologetic response--which includes his praise for Steven yelling at him--was because he was thinking "oh no, did I just try to become controlling like my parents there for a moment? If so, he's right to lash out and yell at me."

• Options
    Opty wrote: »

Yeah, Greg was not in a headspace to really understand what Steven was saying at that point in time. He was making a basic mistake many parents also make: trying something that worked for them and expecting it to work for their kid. I think his apologetic response--which includes his praise for Steven yelling at him--was because he was thinking "oh no, did I just try to become controlling like my parents there for a moment? If so, he's right to lash out and yell at me."
    But that's the whole irony of it. Greg was worried about being too stern, when that's exactly what Steven needed him to be in that moment.

Steven just wanted to be scolded by his dad for once in his entire life. Instead, he got the verbal equivalent of a hug yet again.

That's the real reason why Steven sought out Jasper of all people. He knew she would give him the tough treatment that Greg isn't capable of.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

But that's the whole irony of it. Greg was worried about being too stern, when that's exactly what Steven needed him to be in that moment.

Steven just wanted to be scolded by his dad for once in his entire life. Instead, he got the verbal equivalent of a hug yet again.

That's the real reason why Steven sought out Jasper of all people. He knew she would give him the tough treatment that Greg isn't capable of.

Steven needs to talk out what is happening in his life, but then also refuses to talk to everyone reaching out to him and bottles it all up instead. Which, I mean, he is a teenager, but also...

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Steven needs to talk out what is happening in his life, but then also refuses to talk to everyone reaching out to him and bottles it all up instead. Which, I mean, he is a teenager, but also...

That's fine but
    Greg just admitted the way he raised Steven was basically an act of rebellion. How could you trust your parent after that?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

That's fine but
    Greg just admitted the way he raised Steven was basically an act of rebellion. How could you trust your parent after that?
    No, he considers the way his parents raised him to be horrible that traumatized him and his ability to flourish in the world, and decided that he would not make those same mistakes with his own son. Instead he made all new mistakes.

Though the fact that Steven never met his grandparents when they just live an hour or so away is pretty fucked up.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

That's fine but
    No, he considers the way his parents raised him to be horrible that traumatized him and his ability to flourish in the world, and decided that he would not make those same mistakes with his own son. Instead he made all new mistakes.

Though the fact that Steven never met his grandparents when they just live an hour or so away is pretty fucked up.
    I think it's perfectly fine for someone to not expose their child to their parents when they consider their parents abusive*. It's not like Greg even had a choice though: the Gems took control over raising Steven, he basically only got visitation rights.

*We as viewers can see that the reality here is more nuanced than Greg's perception of it, but that doesn't matter when we're evaluating why Greg decided to not bring Steven to his parents. Hell, for all we know one of those letters he sent that they kept but didn't open is telling them that they have a grandchild.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I often have to resist the urge to side with Steven by default in all things, since the original series really vindicated his decisions and outlook 100% of the time. Future subverts this quite a bit by illustrating how often Steven is actually wrong, about himself and his loved ones.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    OK, but can we talk about how Pearl's been hoarding TP??

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Heads up, Homeworld Bound is on Cartoon Network's website/app if you want to watch it early.

• Options
    Heads up, Homeworld Bound is on Cartoon Network's website/app if you want to watch it early.

I just watched it.
    Steven goes to Homeworld and meets up with Spinel and the Diamonds.
    Yellow has now devoted herself to restoring shattered Gems, and even plans to disassemble the Cluster and restore its component Gems. Blue can now create clouds that inspire happiness. White can let other Gems temporarily possess her (with her consent) instead of her controlling them.
    Steven possesses White, has a flashback to when she removed his gem, and in a moment of wrath tries to make White shatter her own gem.

Friday can't get here fast enough

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I figured it out.

Unstable emotions.
    Growing powers.
    Turning pink.
    Getting larger.
    Steven is turning back into Pink Diamond.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Well, that's it.
    I'm very curious where Steven goes from here, but based on Rebecca Sugar's recent tweet I guess it will forever be a mystery.

I'm honestly a little bit disappointed that the group hug didn't result in a fusion, but I guess that would have undercut the emotional impact of the episode.

Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl singing the Cookie Cat song was the absolute best.

I'm also amused they dropped some setting info in the very last episode (Boogle instead of Google, 39 states instead of 50).

Kinda weird that Blue Diamond of all characters got the last song in the series.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The reason Rebecca Sugar made Steven Universe Future, and why it’s the actual end
    “The story is continuing off screen and I do know what happens next, at least in certain timelines, for the characters,” Sugar says. “But I would have to decide how and when I’d want to dig into that, or if it’s best to give them their privacy.”

Another weird tidbit from that article: the finale of Steven Universe was rushed because Cartoon Network wouldn't agree to more episodes, so Sugar asked for a movie finale. Cartoon Network agreed, but then said a movie should be promoting more show and gave her twenty more episodes to take place after the movie, which became Steven Universe Future.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    The last episode of Steven Universe Future is exactly the same as the last episode of…
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Right down to the whole "we were only pretending to not be sad so that you wouldn't be sad" plot.

I guess there are only so many ways to do an emotional finale.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I decided to make a recap post for the final arc of the series.

Steven Universe Future Synopsis and Relevant Clips:
    The overarching premise is that after having resolved the main conflict of the original series Steven now feels aimless while all the characters he's helped grow and change into better people move on with their lives, with Connie in particular planning to attend a college across the country. With no one left to help and no idea what to do with his life he begins searching for a new meaning but failing to find happiness, and after being someone who other people can turn to for support for so long he can't bring himself to burden them with his insecurities. All the while he's finding himself manifesting new powers, glowing pink, and eventually his body begins to distort when he becomes stressed.

As a final, desperate attempt to find a new meaning in his life, he calls Connie over for a picnic to ask her an important question.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_SCF_HFWiQ

Later, while on a video call with Connie, Steven loses control of his feelings and his powers and begins to distort physically.
    Concerned, Connie takes him to her mother at the hospital for an examination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx_3f1Pl5p8

Following the examination, Greg takes Steven on a short road trip. At one point Greg stops at an unoccupied house and climbs in through a window. Steven follows him inside and is shocked at his father's behavior until he sees a stack of unopened letters sent by Greg and realizes they are in his grandparents' house. Steven is surprised and starts asking about Greg's childhood, but his father explains that he has become estranged from his parents because they were too controlling and that he decided on a much less strict way to raise Steven. Greg pulls out the item he snuck into his childhood home to get: a cassette with the song "Mr. Universe". He begins playing the song while telling Steven that this song changed his life and that he's sure it will change Steven's life, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WzF4qluUhiI

Next, Steven runs away to the mountains, where Jasper has been living. She convinces Steven that he's been suppressing both his anger and his true power and that he should train with her. He agrees, learning over several days how to turn his powers from defensively-oriented to offensive before having a sparring match with Jasper.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kecxfLgVStQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wciw3QRaGDU

Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl try to hold an intervention for Steven, but he uses his powers to create a wall between them and himself. With nowhere left to go, Steven teleports to Homeworld to consult with the Diamonds, who have at this point all turned over a new leaf and developed powers suited to atoning for the harm they had caused earlier. Yellow can restore shattered Gems and alter their physical forms, Blue can produce soothing clouds of vapor, and White Diamond's former ability to override other Gems' will with her own has been replaced with the ability to allow others to temporarily control her. White allows Steven to control her temporarily, but during this experience a desire for vengeance arises in him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQTJewl1ETs

Steven decides to deny everything that's been happening recently. He tells himself that he's a good person who helps people, that he would have never shattered Jasper or attemptes to shatter White. Even as his family and friends express concern over his physical transformation, his unusual behavior, and the fact that his powers are manifesting wildly, Steven insists that everything is fine. Eventually, though, Steven is worn down by them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Sa_cQgYHc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YWMJJ3uuTLY

Connie, Greg, Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl, Lapis Lazuli, Peridot, and Bismuth convene before Corrupted Steven on the beach. Determined to not let Steven harm the town, Connie rushes off to tell the townspeople to take cover while Lapis Lazuli uses her powers to restrain Steven just offshore. The Diamonds and Spinel arrive in their ship and after learning wjat has happened attempt to use their new powers to help Steven calm down, but fail. Lapis is eventually unable to hold Steven back anymore, at which point the Cluster manifests a colossal arm from the sea floor to try and hold Steven back. Not knowing what to do anymore, everyone present begins to lament Steven's current state and blame themselves for failing to prevent Steven from becoming a monster, with White Diamond in particular blaming herself for all the pain she had set in motion thousands of years ago.

At this point Connie returns. She tells everyone that even if they are at fault for what's happened to Steven blaming themselves for it won't help him now. After this short speech Garnet hatches a new plan, requesting that Yellow Diamond use her new power to make Garnet larger. Just as Corrupted Steven breaks free from the Cluster's grasp, everyone rushes Steven.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbjqL1zPcsc

Months later, Steven and Connie are in Steven's room. He has decided to leave Beach City and travel the country to find a new home and a new purpose, and all that's left is to tell his friends. Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl seem to take the news very well. So well, in fact, that Steven is somewhat upset that they aren't more emotional. He then goes to tell Lapis Lazuli, Peridot, and Bismuth, who are deeply affected by the news. Even Jasper confronts Steven to tell him that she doesn't want him to leave. Steven goes home to talk with Greg about how stoic Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl are being before telling him that he can move into Steven's old room. The next day, Steven tries again to elicit stronger emotions from the Gems, giving Amethyst his video games, Pearl his ukulele, and asking Garnet to plan his wedding one day. Still, they all seem unfazed.

Finally, the time comes for Steven to leave.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NWwVOb1SrQ

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I was pretty tepid on the ending, tbh. But I'm glad it existed and I'd be happy with this being it, forever.

• Options
    The best episode of Future was Bluebird.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I was way off on the Pink Diamond thing.

Goodnight Steven Universe. I liked your show.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    In Dreams is probably my favorite. Peridot was the best character in Future.

Pretty much all of the main cast felt slightly out of character.

Dac on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The ending of the show was rather underwhelming for me. I think I'll just consider the movie the ending and never watch any of Future again.

• Options
    While I like the S5 ending more, it was interesting to have a series acknowledged everything kinda fucked up about a child having to fight monsters and save the world.

Outside something like Ventures Bros. I mean, this was an actual kid's show dealing with it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Vulture has a new interview with Rebecca Sugar up that is very interesting. Here are some quotes from Sugar in the interview:
    - It’s interesting that you say those are good things about Steven, because we considered a lot of his selflessness to be his biggest flaw. Throughout the show, his desire to prioritize everybody else’s well-being over his own has been a huge part of his character. In the extended theme song, everybody has their reasons for doing what they’re doing, but his is to be what everybody else wants him to be. That was always intended to be a flag telling you that Steven is struggling.

- People would ask me, “What was the most hotly contested thing in the writers’ room?” It was the idea of Perfect Steven, which was a powered-up version of Steven. He would be as big as Rose, he would be pink, and he would be really powerful. I had a doodle of it back in 2013. All of us in the room were really conflicted about the idea and ultimately said, “We can’t do Perfect Steven because Steven is perfect.” The idea that there would be a more perfect version of him that’s more powerful, or one that’s bigger, or stronger, went against all of the principles of the show. As we were approaching Future, not only did we bring some of that back, we actually brought back those original concept drawings from 2013. It’s hopefully clear that is not a particularly healthy reinvention of himself, that it’s born out of his frustrations and dissatisfaction with himself.

- Steven’s been pushing a relentless positivity at the expense of his own health through most of his childhood, so it makes sense that he would experience it in a very extreme way. He hasn’t really gotten the support that he provided to other people. He has always felt it was up to him to make sure everyone around him was comfortable — and, in a way, that includes the audience.

- Rose wanted to give everybody the kind of environment she didn’t have, but everything about her is about who she didn’t want to be. She wanted to be loving and healing and compassionate and give everybody so much flexibility and freedom to do anything and be anything. She wanted all these things, she wanted to be this person, but she wasn’t necessarily that person because in her mind she only ever wanted these things.

Source

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I felt it was a very good epilogue. I'd probably have stronger feels towards it if I were LGBTQ+ or had experienced childhood trauma to be able to more directly relate to things, but my demons are mostly middle class and tame.

moniker on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I felt the finale was rushed. I'd have liked at least two episodes post "I am my monster" instead of just one.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The end of Steven Universe is an all-time great ending but also the kind that half the fanbase was guaranteed to hate. I’m astounded by Sugars dedication to character and her focus on discussing mental health with knowledge and openness. My social worker wife lost her mind as they slowly worked up to discussing Adverse Childhood Experiences. The description was very accurate to modern thinking about that.

Quire.jpg