As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SE++ Minecraft: We're Still Here!

• Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    There’s enough big projects on the current map that I wouldn’t want that scrapped. At the same time a large influx of people and new snapshot features makes a fresh clean slate appealing. I wouldn’t suppose there’s a way to have two concurrent maps?

We can continue running the old map, there would be inventory separation between the worlds if we do this however.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The just makes the spread of people worse

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Oh is it time to start planning out a Spawntown theme again?

• Options
    The just makes the spread of people worse

This is one downside to hosting 2 maps. Is everyone wanting to migrate to a new map right away?

I think it would be cool to have everyone on the same map building something awesome together, but it sounds like people are still building things on the current map and I don't want to just get rid of that right away if that is the case. For the new map, it definitely sounds like there is interest right now due to the situation a lot of us are in.

If we do wanna keep running the current map, I can always spin up another instance and keep the maps entirely separate, or run them all on the same one linked via teleports. If people have any preference or other ideas I'm glad to hear them.

I think planning out some idea for Spawntown ahead of time this round sounds like a very good idea!

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I do have one idea...

A Canal City.

HEAR ME OUT!

Yes, I know we had "Venice" as a theme for one of our greatest spawntowns ever, with several fantastic Venice-inspired bridges and buildings. But! There was one thing it didn't have much of: waterways. The floating, mountainous islands were a great setting but not conducive to actual canals. We ended up with just one (really cool-looking!) waterway on a separate island. Which is fine! But we could also set up an actual canal town on some flat land by the ocean, and it would still be quite distinctive!

Besides, there are plenty of other canal cities we could use as a theme instead! Amsterdam, Bruges, Suzhou, Annecy, Bangkok, and more! Not to mention, some fictional inspiration, too.

• Options
    C o w b o y m e s a s p a w n

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    How big can a frontier town get before it's no longer recognizable as a one-street town with a duel at high noon every day?

• Options
    Thats when you start making the bandit outposts

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aeyther wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    There’s enough big projects on the current map that I wouldn’t want that scrapped. At the same time a large influx of people and new snapshot features makes a fresh clean slate appealing. I wouldn’t suppose there’s a way to have two concurrent maps?

We can continue running the old map, there would be inventory separation between the worlds if we do this however.

Conversely, if we do go to solely a new map and do not bring any of the old map with us, can I at least bring my enchanted pickaxe with me? It took me like 6 months to get it.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Wait, what’s happening now?

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Wait, what’s happening now?

With people likely stuck at home, talking about starting a new map on the server.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Currently we have 11new and 1split map, not counting myself (im good either way). Given when this went up, i’d suggest giving people time through tonight to respond with concerns.

I’m down for any community build!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Counterproposal: new map when 1.16 comes out, but for right now we keep the current map and invite new people to join. There's a lot of people stuck inside right now; someone could leave a mention of the server in the COVID quarantine resources thread, for instance.

• Options
    Okay, I read through everything like 5 times and I still couldn’t figure out if we were already live or if new things were happening.

• Options
    Okay, I read through everything like 5 times and I still couldn’t figure out if we were already live or if new things were happening.

Sarukun, there is currently a server. It has been well developed for a while now, and most every grinder or machine to produce things has been made. Most of the map has at least one build for every 100 blocks.

We are talking about doing one of the following:
    • adding a new shard to the current server, a new map that teleports between the two with no inventory transfer, that would allow people to build new things or keep at their old things.
    • or
    • making a new map entirely while we wait for 1.16, which is sometime in "the first half of 2020" which could be 3 months or more away

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    Ah, given that context, maybe I voted the wrong way :).

If people wanted a new "community build" project, and don't care about 1.16 content, I'd argue it would be _way better_ to do it on the current server. There's tons of undeveloped space still, and you could plop down a flag anywhere and start building with multiple people. Especially since you can actually build, taking advantage of everything that already exists like supplies and grinders - you aren't busy "surviving" for the first month.

(I personally don't see the point of a new map before 1.16 comes out.)

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    If I start a new seed now but never actually activate my nether gate until 1.16 goes live, when I finally spark and walk through it, will I be walking into the old nether or the new updated biomes? Playing on PS4 and want to know if it's worth putting effort in now, or if I should just wait three months

Also, if anyone knows anywhere they have lists of current, 2020 seeds for PS4, I would really appreciate it- since the bedrock update hit, like 90% of the old quality seed lists have been unlinked from actually describing the worlds they lead to, and finding a perfect world on your own is incredibly incredibly time consuming

• Options
    Also 1.16 is mostly nether content, correct? We can always regen a new nether for an existing map, unless people want an entire fresh start.

• Options
    My preference would be for a new map, and then refresh the nether when the time comes.

• Options
    ~refreshes the page for the 30th time this hour~

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

Sarukun, there is currently a server. It has been well developed for a while now, and most every grinder or machine to produce things has been made. Most of the map has at least one build for every 100 blocks.

We are talking about doing one of the following:
    • adding a new shard to the current server, a new map that teleports between the two with no inventory transfer, that would allow people to build new things or keep at their old things.
    • or
    • making a new map entirely while we wait for 1.16, which is sometime in "the first half of 2020" which could be 3 months or more away

Thanks very much for the exhaustive detail. I was on the current server for like a week back at the beginning, but I haven’t had much time to play recently. I think I’m not too keen on waiting for whenever 1.16 comes out for a new map, I’d kind of rather start over now when I’ve got all kinds of time. :P

• Options
    KitharsisKitharsis Registered User regular
    I'm not really playing on the current se++ server, but I do like the idea of waiting for 1.16 to drop for a new map. But who knows when that will be, given current circumstances.

A new map now would give folks something to get lost in for a while until this whole thing blows over. Heh, maybe call it the Winchester and do a Shaun of the Dead theme?

• Options
    Personally I lean toward the Dark Side of, "Just do a snapshot map." :evil:

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    Okay, if everyone is cool with totally blowing away nether after upgrading to 1.16 then I guess I'd play on a brand new map, knowing to keep any nether building to a minimum.

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    Yeah, just nuke that nether when the tine comes

• Options
    Just make any path above the nether roof

Also please.....aether....I need my mesa fix......

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If/when we do make a new map let's invite other bored quarantined people from the boards in. It's more fun with more people around.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If/when we do make a new map let's invite other bored quarantined people from the boards in. It's more fun with more people around.

But not from G&T.

People are weird over there.

(I keed, forum siloing is silly.)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

But not from G&T.

All's I know is we can NOT afford to let that weird Australian guy in. What's his name again?
    crudhappens69?
    chumhappy42?
    craphopper666?

• Options

But not from G&T.

All's I know is we can NOT afford to let that weird Australian guy in. What's his name again?
    crudhappens69?
    chumhappy42?
    craphopper666?

Benedict Cumberbatch.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

But not from G&T.

crudhappens69?
    chumhappy42?
    craphopper666?

chiphoarder101

• Options
    It's true, I don't like sharing my chips!

• Options
    Server is going down for a bit while I run network cable in my basement and attempt to setup a new map, will update when things come back.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what's expected time of this new map starting, today? tomorrow? further out than that?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Probably tonight

• Options
    eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    i am down for a communal spawn project.

but what will it be???

• Options
    I loved the Venice idea, personally.

• Options
    I would really like to be able to bring my good pick with me to the new map.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I loved the Venice idea, personally.

Yeah I've got two large chests full of marble blocks on the current server, I was going to build a palace once I finished the highway.