As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animal Crossing: Putting the "social" back in "social-distancing."

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Open again if anyone needs to pick up pears.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    are we able to move buildings later if we decide to change the layout?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I believe so.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    My wife started the island, so she was able to buy the DIY starter pack with the axe so now I can’t get an axe.

So I harvested all the peaches and ate them.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Day 3: My house is starting to resemble a home.

zq78L1B.jpg
    2It92gq.jpg
    2JBtY2y.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    My wife started the island, so she was able to buy the DIY starter pack with the axe so now I can’t get an axe.

So I harvested all the peaches and ate them.

You should still be able to buy the recipes from Tommy or Timmy. Or just buy one. At least I was able and my daughter started the island.

And pole vaulting feels so gangster for some reason.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Used my free ticket to visit a random island, of course it had the same fruit as mine. Atleast I got some coconuts and rocks for my trouble.

What free ticket?

rndmhero wrote: »
    Used my free ticket to visit a random island, of course it had the same fruit as mine. Atleast I got some coconuts and rocks for my trouble.

What free ticket?

Nook will give you one eventually.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »

What free ticket?

Nook will give you one eventually.

Note that he doesn't give you a physical ticket, you'll just have a freebie available when you talk to the dodos.

Huh, ok. Guess I just keep talking.

Next question: where do you get the shovel and pole? Don't seem to have DIY or sales for either. Must... get... weeds...

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Huh, ok. Guess I just keep talking.

Next question: where do you get the shovel and pole? Don't seem to have DIY or sales for either. Must... get... weeds...

Blathers will give you the recipe.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    How exactly does visiting other islands work? Does a friend need to be sitting in the airport waiting for a visitor, and then I go search for places to fly to? Is there any sort of notification when your friends are available for visiting, or is it the sort of thing you have to orchestrate outside of game?

Also! Is there any way to tell if something has been donated to Blathers already? I assumed stuff in his museum would have a check mark in Critterpedia or something, but I'm not seeing it?

Oh brilliant
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    How exactly does visiting other islands work? Does a friend need to be sitting in the airport waiting for a visitor, and then I go search for places to fly to? Is there any sort of notification when your friends are available for visiting, or is it the sort of thing you have to orchestrate outside of game?

Also! Is there any way to tell if something has been donated to Blathers already? I assumed stuff in his museum would have a check mark in Critterpedia or something, but I'm not seeing it?

They tell their airport to allow visitors, and the gate becomes available for anyone on their friend list. If you don't see any destinations on your list, it's because nobodies gate is open.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Got this yesterday but due to my three year old deciding to stay up until 2am couldn’t play until today. My island is Sanibel. We have pears. Haven’t done a whole lot yet but it’s been nice.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

No, the person opening the "gate" to their town doesn't have to wait at the airport. You just say to the bird that you want visitors, whether they're local or online, and whether you want any friends to be able to come or if you're restricting it to "Dodo Codes" which are one-use codes. Then the gates open and you can go back to playing the game until somebody arrives.

I don't think the game will tell you if a friend opens their gate, except maybe if you've set them to be a Best Friend? I haven't seen that yet.

As for Blathers, if you've already donated something to him the item will be grayed out and you won't be able to select it when you tell him you want to donate. However I haven't seen any indicator in the encyclopedia and I'm not sure if there's another way to see that.

edited March 2020
    Damn, I have pears too. How many of us have pears?

Gulliver showed up today. Me and Ky were both able to do his quest. Also we both got to dig up the bells. So it seems like if your like me and you're the 2nd player, you're not going to miss out on special guests.

Toxic Toys on
    Also I really like how they've been able to have an actual gate that you're opening again! In Wild World you opened a literal town gate, and here it's an airport gate!

I have native pears. I've picked up cherries, apples, peaches, oranges, and coconuts. What am I missing (on the "Fruit Roots" Miles card)?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I got oranges, ladders, and never ending rain currently.

Code is 2124-7535-5715

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I have native pears. I've picked up cherries, apples, peaches, oranges, and coconuts. What am I missing (on the "Fruit Roots" Miles card)?

Pears actually. You gotta plant one.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png

Pears actually. You gotta plant one.

Ha! I thought that might be it...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I haven’t used my free island ticket yet. What should I take with me? My primary concern is getting stones and such. But do I need a vaulting pole? Are there unique bugs and fish to catch? I’ll leave behind the rod and net if I don’t need them.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    A solution for those of us that found the lack of eyebrows options unsettling:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Spider island is truly a blessing. Those tarantulas are paying my mortgage.

R8RjO4f.jpg

I haven’t used my free island ticket yet. What should I take with me? My primary concern is getting stones and such. But do I need a vaulting pole? Are there unique bugs and fish to catch? I’ll leave behind the rod and net if I don’t need them.

The pole vault can be useful, yes. I've had to use it to cross rivers. I haven't noticed any unique bugs or fish yet, but the resources you get from rocks is small enough that I have enough room to fish and catch bugs. The island is small so the constrained space makes it easy to get fish and bugs to respawn.

Thanks, @Sarksus

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I goofed up and held onto Blathers tent, because I wanted it on the other side of the river, not realizing you need him to give you the pole vault DIY card. I placed him down, but luckily my roommate just let me visit him and he gave me some vaults to tide me over. Aside from what's on my cliffs, I have weeded Everything!

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I checked the switch thread, and I couldn’t find our friend code list? Do we not have a list of us who are currently playing this? If I missed it, please let me know more specifically. I may be slow today

For what it’s worth, my FC is: SW-4496-4420-4132

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    One of the very first things that happened to me in game was I shook a tree and a wheelchair feel out. HOW. WHY.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    One of the very first things that happened to me in game was I shook a tree and a wheelchair feel out. HOW. WHY.

Not as crazy as in a past game when one of my animal neighbors gifted me a cow skull shortly after Patty moved away. :bigfrown:

I checked the switch thread, and I couldn’t find our friend code list? Do we not have a list of us who are currently playing this? If I missed it, please let me know more specifically. I may be slow today

For what it’s worth, my FC is: SW-4496-4420-4132

It's in the OP.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Due to incredible boredom, I am considering this thing. Note other than mobile, it'd be my first AC, so while I know the general idea, I got stupid questions.

- I will almost certainly never play during daytime, just due to work schedules and the like; would this be an issue in any significant way? (I kind of figure no, but never know.)
    - Weeds look like wildflowers so that's cool; is there any real penalty to not logging in daily or not playing for a while other than hey some weeds grew? (Residents giving you shit for not playing does actually count.)

I actually don't really know what else I don't know, I guess those are the big ones though.

edited March 2020
    dporowski wrote: »
    Due to incredible boredom, I am considering this thing. Note other than mobile, it'd be my first AC, so while I know the general idea, I got stupid questions.

- I will almost certainly never play during daytime, just due to work schedules and the like; would this be an issue in any significant way? (I kind of figure no, but never know.)
    - Weeds look like wildflowers so that's cool; is there any real penalty to not logging in daily or not playing for a while other than hey some weeds grew? (Residents giving you shit for not playing does actually count.)

I actually don't really know what else I don't know, I guess those are the big ones though.

I haven't gotten far enough into the game yet but in previous games shops generally have business hours so they would be closed when it's late. In the previous game since you were the mayor it was possible to shift their business hours so that they'd close at 3am instead, but it's not clear if that will be available in this game since you are not the mayor this time. Some events happen mostly during the day, sometimes into the early evening, but there are plenty that happen on the weekend. The fishing tournament event is an example of this. It ends at 6PM but it occurs on the weekend.

Beyond missing events that happen throughout the year, making your villagers wonder where you are, and having weeds grow there are no penalties for not playing every day. In the new game there are some early tasks you'd want to get out of the way to unlock more of the game but if you're not in a rush it's not a big deal.

Edit: Actually for what it's worth, so far the "Resident Services" tent which is the main building available right now is open 24/7. I'm not sure yet if that implies anything about the hours of shops, though.

Sarksus on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The game doesn't write anything to the cartridge if you get a boxed copy, right?

What happens if you get it digitally but then install it on a secondary console? For other digital games that I put on my kids Switch as long as they use my account they can play it, and as long as I don't have it set to backup the saves (or download them) they can have their own independent saves there. I'm curious how the whole one island per console thing is effected by that.

I'm toying with picking this up, despite not being grabbed by the series in the past (I've since grown to appreciate the genre more than I did way back when prior to the likes of minecraft or SDV and such), but if I don't really dig it, I'm sure my kids will, and I just want to make sure it's as easy on them as possible should that occur.

Oh, I guess also in line with that, can they play together on the same console, without extra copies? I know there's issues around who is "first" and having some things be dictated about who can make choices, but if they can't play together at the same time, it is all kind of irrelevant (still a bummer with DQB2, despite having multiplayer, you can't play together on the same console).

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

It’s hard to say what will happen when you don’t play since this game is so new and we haven’t discovered everything about it yet. The main thing I wonder about is how it handles animals moving away. That was the big problem with past games - it felt like such a loss if a favorite animal left. They let you know if they’re planning to move but if you don’t talk to them you’ll miss your opportunity to stop them.

It’s hard to say what will happen when you don’t play since this game is so new and we haven’t discovered everything about it yet. The main thing I wonder about is how it handles animals moving away. That was the big problem with past games - it felt like such a loss if a favorite animal left. They let you know if they’re planning to move but if you don’t talk to them you’ll miss your opportunity to stop them.

Oh yeah, that's a good point to bring up. I'm not sure yet how that will work.

I’d like if they allow you to mark animals as “best friends” so they’ll never leave. I wouldn’t want them to eliminate moving all together since new animals keep things fresh. I have the amiibo cards of my past favorites but not everyone has that option.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    The game doesn't write anything to the cartridge if you get a boxed copy, right?

What happens if you get it digitally but then install it on a secondary console? For other digital games that I put on my kids Switch as long as they use my account they can play it, and as long as I don't have it set to backup the saves (or download them) they can have their own independent saves there. I'm curious how the whole one island per console thing is effected by that.

I'm toying with picking this up, despite not being grabbed by the series in the past (I've since grown to appreciate the genre more than I did way back when prior to the likes of minecraft or SDV and such), but if I don't really dig it, I'm sure my kids will, and I just want to make sure it's as easy on them as possible should that occur.

Oh, I guess also in line with that, can they play together on the same console, without extra copies? I know there's issues around who is "first" and having some things be dictated about who can make choices, but if they can't play together at the same time, it is all kind of irrelevant (still a bummer with DQB2, despite having multiplayer, you can't play together on the same console).

So I'm pretty sure there's local multiplayer, they've shown that off a couple times, no idea how to activate it. The 2 switches tho definitely works like other digital games. I've got my lite as my primary and a launch one hooked into the TV, I can login to my account that I bought animal crossing on the TV and play with any account on the Lite. I even tossed the switch lite account on my family plan and was able to play online with people

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Yeah two people can play at the same time on the same switch. One person will be the leader and the other the follower - the follower will poof back to the leaders location if you go off screen. You can shake the controller to switch who is leader. All stuff collected will go into a recycle box at nooks place where you can sort through and grab what you want later.

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I wasn't going to get this game for a long time but then I did. Partly because all my friends got it too...and also it just seems nice and full of cool features and stuff.
    dporowski wrote: »

As mentioned shops do close at certain times. However I have never had any qualms about setting the console 6 hours ahead or behind, it's not like I'm using it as my clock or anything. You can set it so that your most active hours of play coincide with noon etc.

Unfortunately I've read a few things that say weeds count as town "ugliness" and might possibly prevent later events/unlockables from happening that require having a beautiful town (which also includes having lots of flowers).

No Switch games have writeable cards, no battery backup etc. Everything is always saved to the Switch.
    Kanden wrote: »
    So I'm pretty sure there's local multiplayer, they've shown that off a couple times, no idea how to activate it.

You have to start playing with a second account on that Switch console, and it adds apps to all island residents that lets you call them into existence, which prompts for them to join.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
This discussion has been closed.