As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animal Crossing: Putting the "social" back in "social-distancing."

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I just caught an Oarfish and a Football fish!

Hell yeah!

But it's my first night, so no aquarium to put them in.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Yeah two people can play at the same time on the same switch. One person will be the leader and the other the follower - the follower will poof back to the leaders location if you go off screen. You can shake the controller to switch who is leader. All stuff collected will go into a recycle box at nooks place where you can sort through and grab what you want later.

The local multi is total garbage, however. Since there's not really many activities that can happen twice on the same active screen, it's pretty much always one player watching the other fish or whatever.

What is this I don't even.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hey so I have a sparkly thing on the ground but I can't seem to unlock a shovel or anything?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Hey so I have a sparkly thing on the ground but I can't seem to unlock a shovel or anything?

You get access to a shovel when
    Blathers arrives and sets up his tent. He will talk about fossils and give you the recipe to make a shovel and the vaulting pole. To get Blathers you donate 5 fish or bugs to Nook and then you can place Blather's tent and Blathers will arrive the next day.

It's possible to get the shovel early by going to somebody else's island, but honestly getting Blathers to show up is pretty straight forward so I never bothered to cheese it. At some point you'll be able to buy shovels, too, but that might only be after you're able to make them yourself? I don't remember the timing for that exactly.

Sarksus wrote: »

Blathers arrives and sets up his tent. He will talk about fossils and give you the recipe to make a shovel and the vaulting pole. To get Blathers you donate 5 fish or bugs to Nook and then you can place Blather's tent and Blathers will arrive the next day.

It's possible to get the shovel early by going to somebody else's island, but honestly getting Blathers to show up is pretty straight forward so I never bothered to cheese it. At some point you'll be able to buy shovels, too, but that might only be after you're able to make them yourself? I don't remember the timing for that exactly.
    Ah OK thanks. So I have to wait until tomorrow as I just set up Blather's tent today. No sparkly thing for me :(

They expire every day right?

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah two people can play at the same time on the same switch. One person will be the leader and the other the follower - the follower will poof back to the leaders location if you go off screen. You can shake the controller to switch who is leader. All stuff collected will go into a recycle box at nooks place where you can sort through and grab what you want later.

The local multi is total garbage, however. Since there's not really many activities that can happen twice on the same active screen, it's pretty much always one player watching the other fish or whatever.

Pretty much. I did find out that if you switch control, pull out a tool, and then switch back, the 2nd player will keep that tool out. What ever they get goes in the recycling bin. But it's something. Me and Ky beat each other with axes.🙂

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto

Ah OK thanks. So I have to wait until tomorrow as I just set up Blather's tent today. No sparkly thing for me :(

They probably come by every day. The last time they were in the game was the first one on the Gamecube! Assuming they work the same, yes, one will show up every day.

They probably come by every day. The last time they were in the game was the first one on the Gamecube! Assuming they work the same, yes, one will show up every day.

Thanks!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Didn't realize there was a day between Blathers saying he'd open the museum and the actual museum opening. So now I'm just hording every new bug, fish and fossil I find.

ETrIt9qUEAAxF5x.jpg

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    So can you choose what type of island you fly to? My first journey was a big waste. Same fruit. Harvested some wood and metal and brought back some coconuts, but overall pretty underwhelming.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    My first island was tarantula central. Made 120k. Next 2? Meh islands.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    So can you choose what type of island you fly to? My first journey was a big waste. Same fruit. Harvested some wood and metal and brought back some coconuts, but overall pretty underwhelming.

From what I hear, about 90% of the mystery islands are your native fruit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    Yeah, this one is way more...easy(?), forgiving (?) than New Leaf. I found 3 tarantulas so far. Last game took me about a week for 1. 6 balloons so far. It. A little too easy to build up imo one day in. I know Gulliver was more difficult than previous games.

I'm still totally enjoying it. I did send out some friend requests to people I remember playing with.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

as far as I know the islands will always have the same fruit as you

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I've never played an AC game before so I have many questions.
    • If I were to go to someone else's island, could I potentially screw things up for them? Like could I accidentally cut down their last XX tree or something?
    • Why did my Coconut trees, planted in the sand by the water, spring up almost instantly and the pear trees I planted days ago in normal soil near some native cherry trees barely grow at all? I'm lousy with coconuts over here, with not a pear to share.
    • When do I get a ladder?
    • When do I get the option to move my dwelling?

My island has an island inside it, on a hill, and that's where I want my house lol

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    You can also get the shovel if you buy the...good items upgrade. Great items upgrade? The Nook items upgrade.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited March 2020

I've found an island which had the fruit your mother sends you. Don't know if they means you can find any fruit, or just that fruit.

Darkewolfe on
    Can never get over how big some of these fish can be. And this isn't even the biggest.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Chance wrote: »
    I've never played an AC game before so I have many questions.
    • If I were to go to someone else's island, could I potentially screw things up for them? Like could I accidentally cut down their last XX tree or something?
    • Why did my Coconut trees, planted in the sand by the water, spring up almost instantly and the pear trees I planted days ago in normal soil near some native cherry trees barely grow at all? I'm lousy with coconuts over here, with not a pear to share.
    • When do I get a ladder?
    • When do I get the option to move my dwelling?

My island has an island inside it, on a hill, and that's where I want my house lol

1) In order to cut down trees and do other destructive things on someone else's island they have to designate you as a Best Friend.
    2) Are the pear trees growing, just not very fast? You have to plant trees one space away from other things, otherwise the saplings will die, but that doesn't sound like what's happening here. I don't remember there being different grow times in previous games so I'm not sure.

No idea on the last two, haven't gotten far enough into the game yet.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Went to a Nook island. No villager. Every tree has peaches on it (not my native fruit or Mom fruit).

Boo no villager or tarantulas.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Productive day for me. Museum still being built but a ton of stuff in storage to donate tomorrow, Including a sturgeon! Got the pocket upgrade!

Sold a bunch of stuff, paid off the first house upgrade, started the second. Spent a bunch of miles on tickets so I could go farm iron. Got enough iron for the shop plus all sorts of other goodies, and several new residents for tomorrow.

Rock harvesting rules from New Leaf apply. Dig yourself a 3-hole corner so you can't get knocked back, then shovel the rock as fast as possible for maximum possible resources (8) out of it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i found an island with non-native fruit as well.
    still missing peaches and pears, though, the two best fruits.

How rare are the villagers on the nook islands? I got two out of my first two then none after that.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

Wrong. I’ve been to Peach Island (native cherries, Mom sent Pears)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, as someone who's last straw for quitting New Leaf was the terrible balloon furniture making balloon drops useless, I'm glad they went back to the old random drops.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Second day, and I've unlocked the museum, the store, and plan to make enough money to pay off the first house.

Has anyone else save-scummed to keep their fishing streak going? Because I have.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I forgot about the balloon furniture nonsense. Yeah that sucked.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Elin wrote: »
    I'll be honest, as someone who's last straw for quitting New Leaf was the terrible balloon furniture making balloon drops useless, I'm glad they went back to the old random drops.

Yeah, when I popped my first balloon in this game I was so surprised when it wasn't a terrible piece of balloon furniture!

Really wish they'd add a QoL update to allow the ability to craft multiples of the same item at the same time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Ah, well, that makes it pretty much a no go for me then. The kids aren't allowed to touch my Switch, and I'm not about to introduce a daily fight over who gets to be the leader, or what they can do because they can't split up. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Didn't realize there was a day between Blathers saying he'd open the museum and the actual museum opening. So now I'm just hording every new bug, fish and fossil I find.

ETrIt9qUEAAxF5x.jpg

Yeah I think everybody ends up doing this.

I also made these patterns, Früt is one of my historical patterns from New Leaf. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've also run into a Bamboo Island. That was a trip. I don't know what I'm going to do with all these bamboo bits, but I have a lot if it because I don't think they cause any wear on a decent axe.
    How rare are the villagers on the nook islands? I got two out of my first two then none after that.

I think you're limited to how many new villagers you can invite on any day. I haven't seen anyone with more than 3 new arrivals so far.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited March 2020
    Has anyone noticed jet trails in the sky at times? I just noticed them when someone came to my island and then left. I wonder if that's why.

Edit: oh man the trails are gradually dissipating

Sarksus on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    By the way there's a tool package available for Miles right away that can give you shovel earlier than Blathers as well, forget the title of it. I had the metal shovel unlocked before the wooden one.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

ETrIt9qUEAAxF5x.jpg

Yeah I think everybody ends up doing this.

I also made these patterns, Früt is one of my historical patterns from New Leaf. :P

I have been messing with my Switch's clock like a madman and did not have that problem.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm really quite mad @ how badly they fucked people wanting to play on the same console, i don't mean simultaneously, the second player to start can't do a bunch of shit, and nintendo in their infinite wisdom also made it so you can't have two islands on the same switch..like..wtf, fuck you nintendo. Second player can't build buildings or bridges, turn in collectibles and misses out on a bunch of recipes..like..what even... (and i'm sure that's not a complet list of what they can't do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fluyqu/animal_crossing_new_horizons_users_reporting/

I think there goes me and my wifes plan to play on the same switch, I either buy a second switch or don't play i guess.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    I've done about ten or so mystery islands. Most were peaches, my native fruit. Two were bamboo islands. The last one was Oranges, not my native fruit or the fruit that my mom sent me.

I have had villagers on all of the islands. Two of the times I got the same villager.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    By the way there's a tool package available for Miles right away that can give you shovel earlier than Blathers as well, forget the title of it. I had the metal shovel unlocked before the wooden one.

Yeah but you need the wooden one to make the metal one. I was in this exact situation last night.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Really? I somehow crafted a metal shovel (or obtained some other way) after buying the Essential Tools pack or whatever. Hmm..

Actually maybe I bought the wood shovel from Dodo Airlines

Local H Jay on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    No, someone gave me a metal shovel too before I could craft the flimsy one. Timmy maybe?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
This discussion has been closed.