As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Watchmen: The Movie.

13»

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    If they get the tone and the moral ambiguity down, it could be good. Setting it in the Eighties is a good first step.

Missing the moral ambiguity is why every Moore adaption, including V for Vendetta, has been total horseshit.

I don't think that's the reason why The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was bad.

No, that would have been the piss-poor writing, horrible special effects, miscastings, and oh, let's not forget the inclusion of an American to show how all those Eurofags how it's done... :roll:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    If they get the tone and the moral ambiguity down, it could be good. Setting it in the Eighties is a good first step.

Missing the moral ambiguity is why every Moore adaption, including V for Vendetta, has been total horseshit.

I think the issue is that they try to turn his books into action movies. They buy a comic property and want another Xmen or Spider Man. They don't know what to do with his stuff. I think with Heroes making waves, perhaps people will be more accepting of a Watchmen movie done correctly.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    august wrote:

I don't think that's the reason why The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was bad.

No, that would have been the piss-poor writing, horrible special effects, miscastings, and oh, let's not forget the inclusion of an American to show how all those Eurofags how it's done... :roll:

Nemo would bust out his chain-harpoon-gun and shoot with so many rounds that you would be more harpoon than man if you called him a eurofag.

In all seriousness, though, that was some bad movie. At least the Nautilus was pretty. That's all I can say in its favor.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I was so happy when Greengrass was slated to direct. He genuinly was interested in the project and all of the interviews where he talked about it were sooo good. Part of me still hopes that he'll come back, but Snyder seems like he'll do alright

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Watchmen should never be a movie.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited November 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Man, Watchmen is too talky. They should do a series of movies based on all the early 90's Image comics, like Youngblood, WildC.A.T.S., Cyberforce, Stormwatch and all. Just have pure action, cleavage shots, stories that make no sense, and actors with wildly inhuman proportions.

A show that accurately represented Liefield's drawings would be hilarious.

I can just picture Liefeld and Uwe Boll running around promoting a Youngblood movie. Together again for the first time!

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    RiginalRiginal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    When Terry Gilliam was attached to direct in the late 1980s he met with Moore and after Gilliam asked "How would you make a film of 'Watchmen'?" Moore responded "Don't."

Riginal on
    Rock Band (PS3) I don't really keep my list up to date, but rest assured that I have milliards of songs.
  • Options
    kenoyer130kenoyer130 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I must second the DONT thread. Why do we need a watchmen movie. What is this idea that a work of art is not art unless its made into a movie. Watchmen is perfectly suited to its medium. Translating it into another medium (Watchmen, the watercolor painting!) doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Plus, it feeds into this whole idea that comic books are not a valid work on their own, but must be bastardized into a movie in order to be "valid".

kenoyer130 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I have been saying that for years. Watchmen will almost certainly never work in a two hour movie. The only way it would work is a miniseries, or one movie across three, like LotR. Really though, it should stand as "just" a comic book. Comics don't need to be made into movies to make them legitimate.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Adam Hughes is designing the costumes

I don't object to him changing things for the obvious people. I mean, you'd laugh at Nite Owl, Ozymandias, and Silk Spectre if you saw them. Silk Spectre just needs to not be yellow.

However, I doubt they'll change Rorschach's costume at all.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Adam Hughes is designing the costumes

I don't object to him changing things for the obvious people. I mean, you'd laugh at Owlman, Ozymandias, and Silk Spectre if you saw them. Silk Spectre just needs to not be yellow.

Owlman Keith? You shame me. At this point, I almost want to see this movie made just to see how it looks, and I'm curious to see how Hughes would approach the characters' designs. There's even a decent shot of the movie turning out alright, as it seems like adaptations of Moore's work have been steadily improving in quality.

Edit: fuck shit spelling errors rarrrr

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    oh fuck

my bad

I just reread JLA: Earth-2 last night

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Did they ever explain why he spelled Nite like that?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Did they ever explain why he spelled Nite like that?

He was watching Nickelodeon very late one time and it inspired him.

Hensler on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    People are going to think Rorschach is just a dick in a costume because they'll convienently forget to include his history.

Also, if there is no blue wang there is no movie.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I am slowly becoming more okay with the idea of a Watchmen movie.

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    After the Preacher announcement, I cant help but think that Watchmen is much better suited for a limited HBO series or multiple movies. I can't imagine them doing the series justice in, at most, 3 hours.

Hensler on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Also, if there is no blue wang there is no movie.

I would kill for some blue wang (that came out wrong).

Really, just in that one shot from his origin, that's enough to make me happy. It's a classy shot.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't believe there is any way to make a Watchmen movie without loosing a significant amount of depth and shedding a lot of subtle commentary, which is essentially what makes it one of the best comics of all time.

I've read the thing cover to cover at least 4 times now. I read it at least once a year it seems. The problem with adapting it into a movie is the stuff some of you found boring, the leaflet type shit at the back of every issue is a crucial part of the story. The first time I read through the pirate comic it did bore me, I admit it. After reading it a few times though I can appreciate the parrallels it draws, it's a fucking awesome. I doubt there is any way to work any of that into the movie coherently.

Shame on you for skipping any part of Watchmen...

Seriously though, I've written this off as never going to happen. I'm actually excited about the preacher HBO news however, that shit is so episodic it was made for TV.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    People only think of adaptations in terms of what can be preserved from the source, as if it would be ideal if they simply put the book itself on the screen and turned the pages for you as you read along.

Do we think nothing could be added to The Watchmen?

Admittedly, there might not be.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Personally I'd like to see Watchmen developed at a 12 episode, hour long series on something like HBO or Showtime.

Abracadaniel on