As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Does it have to be play by email specifically? Can you do a game on a website that allows for taking turns whenever you can and doesn't force live games?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Does it have to be play by email specifically? Can you do a game on a website that allows for taking turns whenever you can and doesn't force live games?

I know there's at least one person that doesn't have a PC, but yeah, something like that would probably work too.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The Tokaido app is free today if anyone is interested.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    The Tokaido app is free today if anyone is interested.

Never played this game but heard good things. Guess now's my chance. Thanks!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven in the age of Coronavirus.
    F4BrIpsl.jpg

can you feel the struggle within?
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Gloomhaven in the age of Coronavirus.
    F4BrIpsl.jpg

Yeah, my game group did its Wednesday night RPG session online with Roll20 and Discord for the first time. It was nice we found a way to keep it going, but it sure made me miss The Beforetimes (i.e., last week). Saturday night we'll be trying regular boardgame night with Tabletop Simulator or something.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    My group met briefly in an abandoned parking lot to distribute Gloomhaven characters, we're going to try playing over web conference this weekend. We'll see how it goes

Fry wrote: »
    My group met briefly in an abandoned parking lot to distribute Gloomhaven characters, we're going to try playing over web conference this weekend. We'll see how it goes

We’re using zoom and gloomhaven helper. It’s working well

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @antherem

Check out yucata.de They have a ton of games you can play asynch and they have really good implementations of them. All the games are licensed somehow. The thing is amazing. They have great games on here like Terra Mystica, Glen More, El Grande, Castles of Burgundy.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    If anybody is looking for a way to hop online and play board games (with friends or with randos), I can highly recommend: https://en.boardgamearena.com/gamelist

Their implementations are good and they have a lot of quality games on there. Jaipur, Carcassonne, 7 Wonders, Puerto Rico, Race/Roll for the Galaxy, Tzolk'in, Through the Ages, Tera Mystica, Hanabi, Tokaido, Not Alone and a whole bunch more. I was supposed to be having my usual group over for a game night tomorrow, and now the plan is to all sign on to Board Game Arena and game together there for a while.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Thanks everybody!
    Someone out of the blue came up with "why don't we play Titan" and there's a PBEM site for that, so that's working pretty well.
    acts.warhorsesim.com/index.asp

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hot takes:

The Crew: played ~15 rounds of this last night on TTS 4p, and a few 2p. Not great 2p (get Fox In The Forest Duet, a 2p only coop trick taking game instead), but really great 4p. It's a coop trick taking game where you have to have certain players win the tricks with certain cards in them, sometimes in specific orders etc. Very limited communication. If you like trick taking games this one is a must play I think. Its basically "get good at trick taking: the game", because you really need to know what you're doing and you get into the later difficulty missions. I certainly don't, but it's still a lot of fun.

Aeons End The New Age: played through Expedition Mode today, which is a linked series of 4 fights where you get upgrades as you go but the bosses get upgrades too. The mages and bosses in this box are fun, the cards seem cool, and Expedition Mode is a fun New way to play (assuming you want to play AE 4 times in a row, which is not generally what I'm looking for but hey). You can use all the previously released stuff in Expedition Mode, so it's a cool value add. All told it's a great box of stuff. I think AE is running pretty high up my personal list of favorite games at this point. This one is maybe not the first one you want since it plays with all the older stuff, but as a second or third box it's nice. I do think that now that I have all 4 waves of AE the 5th wave is going to be headed deep into diminishing returns territory though. I guess I'll see once it hits retail after the recent Kickstarter delivers.

I haven't yet felt the need to play a second game of Aeon's End in a row. I enjoyed the game a lot for the first few plays, but it's started feeling pretty samey pretty quickly.

I've played it 20 times in the past month, including sessions playing it 3-4 times in a row. I can see it happening on occasion. You can also save your progress, it's just a pain re bookkeeping/setup at that point. I think the actual use of the expedition mode stuff is just standalone playing a souped up level 4 boss vs souped up level 4 mages. Or using the upgrades to tweak the difficulty in standalone games (regular mages vs upgraded Nemesis decks etc etc).

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Had a couple family gaming sessions over Zoom today.

King of Tokyo:
    dv6p8dhqt025.jpg

Can't Stop:
    e3lokdpmdde3.jpg

It looks like most games with no hidden information will adapt easily to this format. An extra camera pointed at the board helps. I'm reusing a mic stand normally intended for Rock Band and clipping my phone to it.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    I have a feeling Decrypto would work decently over conference, though you might want to have separate channels for discussion among your team

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    CGE Digital having a 50% off sale for Galaxy Trucker and Through the Ages on all platforms right now, proceeds donated to COVID response.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

That is the most heist movie/tradecraft bad-ass way to start a Glomhaven game

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    We discussed various digital board game simulation platforms but thus far my group has gone the easy way and got into Armello on Steam. None of them had heard of it before but we played one game Friday, two last night and they’re keen to do it again tonight!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Armello is great as long as you can embrace the rng factor, which is very very high. If you're in the mood for a really slick adventure game it's really fun. I was trying to get all the trophies in it on ps4 for a loooong time but they're so rng I eventually quit.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Armello is great as long as you can embrace the rng factor, which is very very high. If you're in the mood for a really slick adventure game it's really fun. I was trying to get all the trophies in it on ps4 for a loooong time but they're so rng I eventually quit.

It prepared me pretty well for Villainous and other high hand-turnover games, I'll give it that.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Exit_FITU_3DBox.jpg
    EXIT_Theft_3DBox.jpg

Zoomhaven was a success! Play time was longer (4 hours instead of our usual 3) but it didn't feel like it was dragging. Person who had the game board had some dips in their connection, causing everything to be blurry for a while, but we got through it.

Will post some session notes in the Gloomhaven thread a bit later.

MrBody wrote: »
    CGE Digital having a 50% off sale for Galaxy Trucker and Through the Ages on all platforms right now, proceeds donated to COVID response.

Oh wow, they just put out a notice about server delays, due a 500% user spike after this O_O

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    My copy of Fog of Love finally came back from being loaned out, my wife and I finally got the chance to get back into it. It's a fun "experience" game, it creates some interesting situations, I like it well enough. But then the game took a turn when my character got into an accident and got amnesia. That requires you to take some tokens off the board, so I took off some tokens related to selfishness. Right after I needed to change a random trait, got rid of "Inconsiderate" and gained a kindness-related one. Then I played a scene where I needed to ask for forgiveness, but had to come up with the scenario, so I thought for a moment, and went, "Oh, of course he discovers he had an affair before the accident." And then I stopped and went, OH...

I know this movie.

So yeah, I had obviously stumbled into -- or subconsciously recreated -- the plot of Regarding Henry (1991 Harrison Ford flick). Ummm... spoilers? Sorry. Anyway, it matched the way the game played out extremely well. I'm not one to fight against destiny, so I strongly roleplayed that to the end of the game, to the satisfying conclusion. Dang, what fun, good game.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    One of my better coincidental Fog of Love moments was when I chose to tell a story about my best friend fairly early on, and then later in the game we got a card explicitly about my best friend dying. The early prequel made it a lot less "left field" in a good way, since I'd already had to make him up and it created a pretext for how he died. I'm not going to lure you into some false belief that I created an exquisite third personality in our game - he was an obnoxiously typical dude-bro who died attempting a ridiculous kegstand. >_> RIP, Steve.

edited March 2020
    Dungeon Breakout, The new game from Goblinko, is up on Kickstarter. It's kind of a prequel to Dungeon Degenerates where you break out of prison. There are $20 early bird pledges available atm. I backed, but I can't really tell if I'm going to keep it or not. It looks suuuuper light, and I can't tell if it looks fun or tedious in it's super lightness.

Ah_Pook on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah I adore Dungeon Degenerates but this is a hard pass.

We had our second remote gloomhaven game last night and it’s been a really good way to play. I retired my Tinkerer and started an Angry Face and I’m in loooooooove

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    We had our second remote gloomhaven game last night and it’s been a really good way to play. I retired my Tinkerer and started an Angry Face and I’m in loooooooove

Angry Face is a trip.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    In Michigan we are now in the phase of executive stay-at-home order. Tuesday night is our gaming night, though, and we are soldiering on! Our proficiency with Zoom increases. Our group of eight successfully convened remotely and played:
    • Welcome To...
    • Imhotep
    • NMBR 9
    • Qwinto
    • Las Vegas Royale
    • Just One

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Youtube recommended me some solo RPG videos and Im kind of into it?

Ive never played a pen & paper game. I tried to join a couple forum games but it fizzled out. So the closest Ive gotten was a couple rounds of Hero Quest when I was younger.

Its kind of neat gleaning the videos and seeing the different elements people use. Lots of mixing and matching rather than use any one system.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

Ive never played a pen & paper game. I tried to join a couple forum games but it fizzled out. So the closest Ive gotten was a couple rounds of Hero Quest when I was younger.

Its kind of neat gleaning the videos and seeing the different elements people use. Lots of mixing and matching rather than use any one system.

Ironsworn? That's been getting a lot of good buzz recently, including from people who play a lot of different RPGs.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »

Ironsworn? That's been getting a lot of good buzz recently, including from people who play a lot of different RPGs.
    Dont think so. I guess I can post one. They arent technically board games but have board game elements I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSqO-I0gvg&t

In this one hes using The Dungeon Crawl classics system. Looks like one of the D&D board games for a map. And A fate die and a mood die he made himself to help add randomness.

Other videos use decks of cards from say Mythos to help with storytelling (focusing on the flavor text more than the rules text) or using Rory's Story Cubes to incorporate random story elements. In fact most of them seem to focus on Storytelling over "Winning" or "Losing" which is something I needed I think.

yo Planet Apocalypse is real good.

Holy shit the price of Blood Rage on amazon right now.

Click on "new & used" to see more great deals! O_O

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    :surprised:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    $1000 pshh whatever please drink deeply from my asshole

Magic Pink wrote: »
    $1000 pshh whatever please drink deeply from my asshole

There's now an offer for $1499!

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the Kiraoa online seller is a legit place? They showed up on an Instagram ad and say they have Wingspan in stock, but I’ve never heard of the site so I’m a bit wary.