As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Master Chief and friend....

mudronmudron Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
chief_elite1.jpg

chief_elite.jpg

Just something I posted in my brand-spankin'-new gaming sketchblog.

Here's a colored version of a Link pencil sketch I posted to these boards last week, too:

link_equipped29%20copy.jpg

mudron on

• Options
    darkdemondarkdemon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nice work, only the bottom of the Master Sword doesn't quite add up with the top in terms of broadness.

darkdemon on
    heyquitit.PNG
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    nice work, but i do have a couple of niggles with the halo one...

firstly being the texture/colouring on the covenant guy, it doesn't really feel like it's following the form of the creature in any way, it does go in and out around the edges, that's not really what i mean, it's just... flat, the angles of the chief's armour stop it being a problem on him, but in what's a very dynamic piece... i feel the colouring on the covenant feels rushed and flat

also, and this is really petty but it did stand out to me.... his reflection is missing a load of teeth, it looks a bit more like an angry sock puppet in the reflection :wink:

i really love the link one, the attention to detail on it pleases me greatly :D

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    darkdemon wrote:
    Nice work, only the bottom of the Master Sword doesn't quite add up with the top in terms of broadness.
    It's becoming that broad, you can barely see that but it's there ^^

Awesome stuff, I really like your style. Hope the Halo one is still wip because it could use some more shading (the covenant surface for example).
    You did already update it, don't you ^^?

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    darkdemon wrote:
    This is probably why. Observe the blade:
    master-sword_2.jpg

Anyways, nice job on colouring link. I love how he still looks so happy despite being splattered in blood :D

Like I mentioned, I think the colouring of his belt region helps un-clutter the whole area, and helps us to distinguish what is what. The colouring is a little flat on some parts, namely his shield and sword hilt. It's just that one flat blueish colour when everything else so nicely textured. Speaking of which, I like the effect you've got going on the metal.

Yeah... can't think of alot more to add. I'm sure the pro's here will have their own things to add about colouring/lighting etc.

Nice work.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know, but the blood spatters on Link don't seem to fit in. Coloring is nice though.

I really like the angle on that halo pic. The lines get a bit jumbled though - maybe more shading would help that.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    mudronmudron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fibretip wrote:
    also, and this is really petty but it did stand out to me.... his reflection is missing a load of teeth, it looks a bit more like an angry sock puppet in the reflection.

BEST. CRITIQUE. EVER. (Seriously!)

mudron on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    In order for him to be holding the grenade like that, he'd have to have a third shoulder in the middle of his back.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fibretip wrote:
    but i do have a couple of niggles

...wait. What?

Thanks to context I can understand what that means, but when I was skimming through the posts I thought I ran across something really inappropriate for a second there. :shock:

I think I found myself a fancy new word to use as much as I can. Niggles.

On topic, I like the line widths in the halo one, otherwise it would have been really confusing, nice textures, etc.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    In order for him to be holding the grenade like that, he'd have to have a third shoulder in the middle of his back.

I can do that pose ^^'

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ape2001 wrote:

I can do that pose ^^'

Same. It would be extremely uncomfortable, but it is possible.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Can you do it while lying on your back with an alien on top of you?

I've no doubt that some people can contort themselves into that position, but it's unnatural.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006

I've no doubt that some people can contort themselves into that position, but it's unnatural.

So is lying on your back with an alien on top of you.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It is?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It is?

Well, it's unnatural for the rest of us. :P

Sheri on
  • Options
    SpeedKnightSpeedKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The linework is good on these, but the coloring looks way too busy, especially on Link. Lack of lightsources is definitely hurting your coloring on these otherwise decent pieces.

SpeedKnight on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The coloring on the first one somewhat confuses me.

If that monsters drool/whatever, and weapons are really emitting some sort of light as it appears, it's not really showing up in any of the other objects arouns it.

There should be light from the glowing items bouncing off the skin and clothing/armour/whatever else near it. How much bounces back depends on the material though. For instance, the guy's eye should probably have some light bouncing off of it from both the moster's weapon, and so too should a little of the glass form the guy's helmet have light reflecting on it. Also, the edges of the broken glass should probably be a different color so it looks like it has a little more depth.

your colors somewhat dull and muddy too. Some of the outlining on your chracters doesn't seem to fit very well, and mcan become a little distracting and overwhelming.

I think you definitely have a great start though! :D I'm definitely somewhat impressed by some of your attention to details.

I don't know if you've seen it yet (it's been floating around some other threads), but this is a great coloring tutorial that I think could definitely help you liven up some of your colors a little more:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Good work ^_^

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Well you're already pinned down by some damn reptile filth, so I think you might have to pull a few tendons to paste that plasma grenade to the motherfucker's face. (God I hate the Covenant. :evil: I swear I shot that brute down in Legendary. I KNOW I did!)

Unnatural situations might call for unnatural positions; I think that's what I'm trying to get at.

Tam on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i think the reflection's angle and detail could be improved.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like this Master Chief piece, but I do not like the eye and the nose of the Halo's protagonist. It seems weird, in my opnion, and... I don't know, maybe I'm crazy with human anatomy, but it doesn't seem correct.

And I prefer the sketches without colors. The coloring job could be rework a bit.

Otherwise, nice work. :^:

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    ImmortalImmortal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think that's one of the coolest pictures of Link I've seen. And by cool I mean, I just love the take on him you have. He looks like a young man; the coloring in his face around his eye and all, he just comes off as a teenager/young man. And with the blood and all...it's just a cool take on the character. The way he might actually look after a brief run-in with some baddie.

The fishing pole was a nice touch too. :D

Immortal on
    Sincerely Yours,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Immortal
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I definately saved the Link pic on my hard drive FOREVER.

I thought he was left-handed though. Oh well, still skeet skeet when I see it.

Etch on
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Microsoft is making a Halo movie and believe it or not I heard through the grape vine that Master chief will be played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Just a thought on your choice of skin color :P

http://www.grab.com/boards/b/home/topic/74962

I think Denzel Washington is also in the line up :P

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Microsoft is making a Halo movie and believe it or not I heard through the grape vine that Master chief will be played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Just a thought on your choice of skin color :P

http://www.grab.com/boards/b/home/topic/74962

I think Denzel Washington is also in the line up :P

As of a couple weeks ago, funding was dropped and the movie was shelved... searching for linkage....

edit: [H] recap here: http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjIxNTYsT2N0b2JlciAgLDIwMDYsaG5ld3M=

drinkinstout on