As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I won't lie, that looks suspiciously like a Catapult with Marauder arms bolted on.

We shall call it a Catamar! :razz:

Maruadapult

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »

The Internal Security Force has deemed this holovid as Subversive Propaganda created by the honorless Lyran Commonwealth in order to corrupt loyal Combine Citizens. To all citizens who have witness this fabrication please report to the nearest Bureau of General Indoctrination office for reeducation.

Remember, if it didn't come from the Bureau of Official Information then it is lies.

What can I say, I only recently discovered BPL and have been loving the Tex Talks. Can't wait for part 2 of the clanner lecture.

Despite backing Battletech day one on the Kickstarter, I'm LTTP in actually playing the game, so I'm actually only part way into the campaign.

Asking for a friend, I heard that Tex got added into one of the mods. My friend is trying to find him within the mod but has been unsuccessful. Has anyone found him and recruited him?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    MWO:

Taking the VTR-9S out for a spin
    When the brawling's good, the brawling is good.
    pz8lr5flv27s.jpg

Nobody on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    MWO: PGI is giving away a free hero mech, mech bay and 14 days of premium time.

Code: STAY_SAFE_2020

https://mwomercs.com/news/2020/03/2396-free-hero-mech-bay-14-days-premium-time

You buried the lede.

They're not just giving away any hero mech (obviously)

They're giving away the Wolverine Quarantine hero 'mech.

They claim it is the best Hero medium mech in the game, but we all know that is the Yen-Lo-Wang.

That's a funny spelling for Bounty Hunter II.

Medium.

Pre-coffee brain believes Marauders are mediums.

...makes for weird Scouting matches.

I knew I'd catch someone when I said that (which is why I put in the word Medium). You just happened to be the one.

But we all know you are our filthy Clanner so we'll let it slide.

See, even restricting it to mediums, I think I'm more fond of the Arrow than the Wang.

But... The... Wait...

More proof that Clanners do not have any sense of humor.

Actually I remember the Arrow being destructive on the battlefield with its 6 machine guns. Till the Arctic Cheetah and Mist Lynx did it better (and Piranha). I miss seeing the Arrow.

"BJ Arrow" is what my college ex-girlfriend called my...
    This gag brought to you by the fine folks at the Youtube channel CinemaSins

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Me: Hm, I should pop on MWO. Oh hey I remember buying this Fafnir, but why'd I name it "Cash Cow"?

-one game later-

Me: Oh right, because it has 4 RAC2s and 3 MLs and deletes all the components.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO:

Got enough lootbags for the free mech, after weighing all the options I took the Executioner.
    Final choice was down to the Executioner, Night Gyr, Stalker, and both Summoners. I didn't really need the Stalker, the Night Gyr was the wrong variant, and I already had two Summoners.

Think I'm going to go for this build (similar to one I've seen used in the past): EXE-C

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Of all the things I expected to read today, NVidia using MW5 as a poster child for AI-assisted graphical upgrades was not what I was expecting.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-nvidia-dlss-ansel/

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oooh I know someone who would get a kick out of these.

It's me, I'll get a kick out of these.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    With all the madness about I completely forgot last week's MWO Oosik Night.

But today I was reminded... Anybody going to be available to play tonight? @Erlkönig @TOGSolid @Elvenshae ?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Anybody use a HOTAS setup with mech 5? Im having some issues getting my thrustmaster t16000 to work

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MWO: Oosik Night is live.

@Erlkönig @TOGSolid @Elvenshae @Nips <- Just because.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hoping to hop on a bit later - doing finance stuff with my wife ATM.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hoping to hop on a bit later - doing finance stuff with my wife ATM.

Sorry we missed ya. Was fun trying to synch drop with @Erlkönig tonight. One match we were on opposing sides. Then mostly non-synched. Finally the last match of the night and we get on the same team, only to be slaughtered by the enemy team. Oh well at least we got to drop together. Good times.

Till next week fellow MWOers. Same Mech time, same Mech channel.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Crossposted from the TT game thread:
    9srjmedody1p.jpg95s0pobbsowa.jpg

I am so damn salty that they never added the Crusader to the game.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    They might have if they didn't take the MWO money to make MW5. At least that is what I think since they put MWO on life support after announcing MW5.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Please go look at the Battletech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter's latest update.

• Options

Sadly I want this to be real. Hopefully someone will make a 3D model of this.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I have hand tools, a laser cutter, styrene and acrylic sheet, and five models coming in Wave One.

I can make this a reality.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Nips wrote: »

I have hand tools, a laser cutter, styrene and acrylic sheet, and five models coming in Wave One.

I have access to a 3D printer with it's own scanner. So I can probably take a fabricated prototype and create a 3D render.

That is, I have access to that stuff through my job, which I'm not longer doing on-site. And I've never actually done that before, so I don't actually know how to do it (but feel like I could figure out), so if someone else wants to I 100% defer, but still.

Even a silly Happy Meal / toddler age toy-level functionality would be amazing, too.

Tox on
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

Hmmm.... I need to think of this... Didn't think I could go looking at existing models and see what I can cobble up. IF I WASN'T SO BUSY WORKING AT HOME!!!! I swear I have more work at home than when I was in the office.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    They might have if they didn't take the MWO money to make MW5. At least that is what I think since they put MWO on life support after announcing MW5.

To be fair, PGI was looking to take the money and run from way back when they started to try and create a Freespace knockoff that failed super hard

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

To be fair, PGI was looking to take the money and run from way back when they started to try and create a Freespace knockoff that failed super hard

Gosh, I'd totally forgotten about that. Man, that thing was balls, wasn't it?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hi there, long time thread lurker, first time poster.

So I finally popped BATTLETECH off the backlog stack and I've fallen down a deep well of :heartbeat:

I've kicked off a campaign and just started building up my company; I figured that would probably still have the best learning curve for picking up the systems, but a lot of the in-game guidance and tutorials are very general, and don't delve into the starategy or depth of the systems lying underneath, which is where the crunchy goodness lies for optimising micro-minmaxers like myself.

So I'm a couple contracts in and so far:
    1) I'm unimpressed with the AC/2s on the family Blackjack and the heat management, so switched to a 2LL+2ML configuration plus a raft of extra heatsinks.
    2) Likewise I feel like the Shadowhawk could be doing better, but haven't got a build plan for it yet. Not sure what I want to do with it, plus right now I haven't built up an armoury with a lot of variety to choose from.
    3) Dekker status: not dead yet.

So far my contract negotation has focussed on the reliability of cash payment rather than salvage. I feel my pilots/mechs aren't yet capable of sniping reliably, so salvage is still very much a RNG gamble with the odds stacked against me, but I'm expecting over time I'll start taking more salvage as my pilot skills get better. I have3 no idea if this is a good strategy or not, but so far it seems to be working.

Not sure there's really a point to this post other than to say "yeah, I'm fashionably late to the party". But now I'm here!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I thought it was a joke but yeah, sure enough they did, and apparently tried to just copy a bunch of star citizen's ship designs?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Fishman wrote: »
    Hi there, long time thread lurker, first time poster.

So I finally popped BATTLETECH off the backlog stack and I've fallen down a deep well of :heartbeat:

I've kicked off a campaign and just started building up my company; I figured that would probably still have the best learning curve for picking up the systems, but a lot of the in-game guidance and tutorials are very general, and don't delve into the starategy or depth of the systems lying underneath, which is where the crunchy goodness lies for optimising micro-minmaxers like myself.

So I'm a couple contracts in and so far:
    1) I'm unimpressed with the AC/2s on the family Blackjack and the heat management, so switched to a 2LL+2ML configuration plus a raft of extra heatsinks.
    2) Likewise I feel like the Shadowhawk could be doing better, but haven't got a build plan for it yet. Not sure what I want to do with it, plus right now I haven't built up an armoury with a lot of variety to choose from.
    3) Dekker status: not dead yet.

So far my contract negotation has focussed on the reliability of cash payment rather than salvage. I feel my pilots/mechs aren't yet capable of sniping reliably, so salvage is still very much a RNG gamble with the odds stacked against me, but I'm expecting over time I'll start taking more salvage as my pilot skills get better. I have3 no idea if this is a good strategy or not, but so far it seems to be working.

Not sure there's really a point to this post other than to say "yeah, I'm fashionably late to the party". But now I'm here!

It is never too late to the party. Heck, I still am only partway through the campaign since I obsess on blowing up robots and not moving forward till I get bored blowing robots up.

Edit: I had no idea what to do with my Shadowhawk so I stuffed it with SRM4s and I think a 6 with ML to turn into a brawler since it always gets targeted.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That sounds like a perfectly viable Blackjack, Fishman (although hot). I usually go 1 AC5, 3-4 MLs and max or near max front armor. My early Shadowhawk usually gets AC5, SRM6, ML and some extra armor. That's assuming the relevant parts are available. Sometimes you have to get creative.

Since armor is replaced for free instantly after each mission, I really pile it on to avoid having any repairs that take time. Time in mechbay fixing internal structure (or worse) is time not spent earning, especially early on when the alternative to using your Shadowhawk is a Locust/Spider. Granted, you can absorb that time with travel between systems. But if you don't do all the available (viable) missions on a planet before jumping, you are leaving money and salvage on the table.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    That sounds like a perfectly viable Blackjack, Fishman (although hot). I usually go 1 AC5, 3-4 MLs and max or near max front armor. My early Shadowhawk usually gets AC5, SRM6, ML and some extra armor. That's assuming the relevant parts are available. Sometimes you have to get creative.

Since armor is replaced for free instantly after each mission, I really pile it on to avoid having any repairs that take time. Time in mechbay fixing internal structure (or worse) is time not spent earning, especially early on when the alternative to using your Shadowhawk is a Locust/Spider. Granted, you can absorb that time with travel between systems. But if you don't do all the available (viable) missions on a planet before jumping, you are leaving money and salvage on the table.

Yeah, I think in the near future I'm going to try the Shadowhawk built around an SRM/ML combo, but I don't have the SRM stock yet. Instead I'm dropping in an LRM 10 to mix with the AC5 which puts me at 3 long range mechs and the Spider. There's going to be a lot of kiting until I can reconfigure the Shadowhawk to my liking.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    AC/2s are garbage. +10 damage ones are less garbage. UAC/2 +10 damage on the other hand are golden. Buy every single one you can get your hands on. 2x 35 damage, almost no weight, basically no heat generation, and probably double your vision range? Yes please. The bog standard UAC/2 isn't bad either, though not as ridiculously good.

AC/5s are the first ballistic weapons worth a damn. They're decent enough in the medium era: fairly hard hitting, not so much weight they preclude mounting anything else, and moderate heat generation. AC/10s offer a much harder hit, but you basically need to build around the weapon. You're probably giving up quite a bit to mount it. AC/20s, if you can find one in the medium era, will be virtually the only weapon you can mount on your medium. So don't be surprised if AC/5s or maybe AC/10s end up a work horse. A mixture of AC/5s, large lasers, and medium lasers is my usual work horse lance loadout, along with an SRM6 or two.

Going all money is a decent idea, but certain missions (like assassinate) may be worth your while to go scrap since there's a chance you can pick up a heavy. Early on your ability to target your enemies is definitely garbage, but you can have some success by smashing them from either side--you may get lucky with knockdowns and blowing off side torsos, or you may be able to blow off both legs before the center torso goes. Either way, you can have better odds of getting 2 or 3 parts of something.

Welcome to the party, I've dumped hundreds of hours into this ridiculously fun game!

Orca on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    That sounds like a perfectly viable Blackjack, Fishman (although hot).

2 LL, 2 ML, plus extra heatsinks is pretty much a recreation of the BJ-1DB canon variant.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So I've got a little further and completed the mission to recover the ancient dropship whereupon it is revealed that Lady Arano is *Shock* Not Dead *shock*, which would be more surprising if her face wasn't plastered all over the game marketing and the intro cutscene wasn't explicitly her monologing about her long and bloody road to the throne and how you were at her side doing the dirty work the whole way.

Anyway, I'm still short on SRM6s and any Autocannon bigger than an AC2, which means I'm mostly sending out long range lances, but I have picked up a Jenner which gives me warm nostalgia tingles for BattleTech (1988), where it was your starting mech. Also seems like it can dish our a good amount of damage for a sports coupe.

However, by far my greatest achievement to date is getting my 4-year-old to excitedly refer to BATTLETECH as 'The Stompy Robots Game'.

Fishman on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Anyway, I'm still short on SRM6s and any Autocannon bigger than an AC2, which means I'm mostly sending out long range lances, but I have picked up a Jenner which gives me warm nostalgia tingles for BattleTech (1988), where it was your starting mech. Also seems like it can dish our a good amount of damage for a sports coupe.

Jenners are great and definitely better than Spiders, but they really need more armor than the stock model has. It also runs way too hot to use all of its weapons and jump, so I usually remove some/all jump jets and a ML and use all the freed tonnage for more armor. Removing equipment and adding armor takes no repair time so you don't even have to wait for it to be ready for battle.

Most stock models have similar issues - too little armor, too much heat. At least Jenner has a good, focused set of medium range weapons.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So I've got a little further and completed the mission to recover the ancient dropship whereupon it is revealed that Lady Arano is *Shock* Not Dead *shock*, which would be more surprising if her face wasn't plastered all over the game marketing and the intro cutscene wasn't explicitly her monologing about her long and bloody road to the throne and how you were at her side doing the dirty work the whole way.

However, by far my greatest achievement to date is getting my 4-year-old to excitedly refer to BATTLETECH as 'The Stompy Robots Game'.

Yes, the next generation is being groomed.

Also, I no idea what you are talking about having a Jenner in Battletech. I always started stealing the Chameleon.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

Jenners are great and definitely better than Spiders, but they really need more armor than the stock model has. It also runs way too hot to use all of its weapons and jump, so I usually remove some/all jump jets and a ML and use all the freed tonnage for more armor. Removing equipment and adding armor takes no repair time so you don't even have to wait for it to be ready for battle.

Most stock models have similar issues - too little armor, too much heat. At least Jenner has a good, focused set of medium range weapons.

I'm in a similar boat to fishman in that I just recently picked up the game, and once I got a Jenner it's been Decker's sole ride. I find it very effective running 4 MLs and max armor, no JJs (I don't recall how many HS's I have). I can scout like crazy, and then usually can get around behind units engaged with the rest of the lance and light them up (and snipe off legs). Other than on desert levels it's generally fine on heat.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Its the jumping AND the shooting is where you really see the Jenner's problems with heat management.

Regardless, I still love it.

• Options
    I see the rationale for removing jumpjets. I just never do it. I'm addicted to them. Early on it doesn't matter quite as much, when your pilots can't hit the broad side of a barn. But as they get better gunnery and esp. tactics for called shots, positioning becomes super, super important for 3x salvage hunting and eventually survival as the numeric/tonnage odds against you get worse. Maaaaybe a dedicated LRMer... ?

Nope. Jumpjets. All cav all the time. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I see the rationale for removing jumpjets. I just never do it. I'm addicted to them. Early on it doesn't matter quite as much, when your pilots can't hit the broad side of a barn. But as they get better gunnery and esp. tactics for called shots, positioning becomes super, super important for 3x salvage hunting and eventually survival as the numeric/tonnage odds against you get worse. Maaaaybe a dedicated LRMer... ?

Yeah I've largely moved away from them just so I can fit enough armor/weapons on the crappy mechs I currently have, but i miss them dearly.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

[bolding mine]
    I mean, who can resist the majesty of a C1 Catapult?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Its the jumping AND the shooting is where you really see the Jenner's problems with heat management.

Regardless, I still love it.

Even if you don't use the JJs you'll overheat in a few 56-heat alphas. And then some friendly enemy will blow off one of your tinfoil-armor arms to help with your heat problems. :P

I really love JJs too but with a mech like Jenner you are working with a very limited amount of free tonnage and it's already super-fast so it can get behind enemies on foot. And JJs generate a lot of heat, way more than the number the game gives you (I think that's maybe 50% of your max JJ heat per turn?). Getting behind enemies doesn't do much if you can't shoot them because your heat is maxed. If you want a 35-ton mech with JJs and high sustainable damage you'll have to use a Firestarter.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Man, all this early game talk is giving me the itch. Maybe I'll just roll up a new career and see what starter mechs I get...

Oh, 2x Centurion, 2x Commando and a Firestarter? Good start!

Maybe I'll just see what support weapons are in the store... Oh, 2xSL+? That's pretty nice.

Maybe I'll just reconfigure this Firestarter...

HV2Uiey.png

Maybe I should see who is in the hiring hall. Oh, an affordable 4 gunnery pilot? Maybe I should just add that person to the roster. Yep, that looks good.

Six pilots. Maybe I should just rename the pilots...

Y62mEJB.png

That looks nice. Maybe I should just see what missions are available...

JWEntf5.png

Well, I guess I better play out this mission...
    Send help!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.