As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    As I mentioned I've been working on Brands Hatch GP on Assetto Corsa Competizione lately, racing in VR with my new rig setup.

This is a video I recorded 4-5 days ago of my best lap.

Pay no attention to the shitty FOV - I do the actual driving in VR, so I haven't touched flatscreen FOV, but recording replays in VR is a bit silly since it doesn't record the head movement, so I may as well record on the flatscreen.

https://streamable.com/e30sj

The key takeaways I had from this video were;
    • Sometimes I'm getting on the power too soon, and having to back off to avoid going wide, then getting back on. Better to get on the power slightly later and not have to get off it
    • I needed to focus on not overdriving the car through the corners - pick a line, set the steering angle, and avoid having to go back and forth on steering to hit the apex and track out

You can see it particularly through the first half of the lap, a lot of overdriving going on.

Well, five days later, I'm pretty happy with this effort, and I've cut over a second from the laptime.

https://streamable.com/3rlwh

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Annnnnndddd... Azerbaijan is postponed.

This is my shocked face.

Actually, it is a bit. For a street race, I'm amazed it wasn't outright cancelled like Monaco.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Ah yes, 'postponed'.

To be fair, it's the furthest into the season that they've cancelled yet. Somewhat understandable that it has taken a while. When the lockdowns started happening I remained hopeful that we would have returned to almost normal by June but as uncertainty creeps up, 'almost normal' seems further and further away.

Curious as to what will happen with 'postponed' races now though. There won't be enough time to slot all of them in, so they're going to have to pick which races to do (if any). Would they go for the classic races, or opt for the big money payout races?

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    As I mentioned I've been working on Brands Hatch GP on Assetto Corsa Competizione lately, racing in VR with my new rig setup.

Pay no attention to the shitty FOV - I do the actual driving in VR, so I haven't touched flatscreen FOV, but recording replays in VR is a bit silly since it doesn't record the head movement, so I may as well record on the flatscreen.

• Sometimes I'm getting on the power too soon, and having to back off to avoid going wide, then getting back on. Better to get on the power slightly later and not have to get off it
    • I needed to focus on not overdriving the car through the corners - pick a line, set the steering angle, and avoid having to go back and forth on steering to hit the apex and track out

You can see it particularly through the first half of the lap, a lot of overdriving going on.

Well, five days later, I'm pretty happy with this effort, and I've cut over a second from the laptime.

What car are you using?

I've found myself rather taken with the Porsches, which is odd since I normally hate driving them in every other game.

altid wrote: »
    Ah yes, 'postponed'.

To be fair, it's the furthest into the season that they've cancelled yet. Somewhat understandable that it has taken a while. When the lockdowns started happening I remained hopeful that we would have returned to almost normal by June but as uncertainty creeps up, 'almost normal' seems further and further away.

Curious as to what will happen with 'postponed' races now though. There won't be enough time to slot all of them in, so they're going to have to pick which races to do (if any). Would they go for the classic races, or opt for the big money payout races?

My position remains that I will be genuinely, but pleasantly, surprised if the cars turn a wheel in anger at all this year.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Ah yes, 'postponed'.

My position remains that I will be genuinely, but pleasantly, surprised if the cars turn a wheel in anger at all this year.

Considering the length of time a vaccine is expected to take, I'm hoping they just cancel the season. I know they don't want to, that's a ton of money lost, but thousands of people packing into the stands is a great way to restart a pandemic that's burning out.

Nova_C wrote: »
    Ah yes, 'postponed'.

Considering the length of time a vaccine is expected to take, I'm hoping they just cancel the season. I know they don't want to, that's a ton of money lost, but thousands of people packing into the stands is a great way to restart a pandemic that's burning out.

That pretty much goes for any sport, really.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Ah yes, 'postponed'.

That pretty much goes for any sport, really.

F1 is so international. Like, national sports are bad enough, like NHL, NBA, etc, but F1? Those crowds are from all over the world.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The one thing I kind of miss from iRacing with ACC are the lap analyzers. iSpeed in particular (and now the whole VRS Telemetry) would give you a ton of information if where you were weak and you could push yourself in that regard. Applying the whole one second at a time philosophy was how I polished my laps in there, and I'm kinda missing that for ACC.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    BTW, this is Gabe on iRacing the MX-5 in Okayama.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Driving one of these would be fun as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJnGDYgImis

Dirtyboy wrote: »

You probably end up shorter by a couple centimeters after every race, but it'll be worth it.

If you mean by sim, Automobilista does include them.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I’ve shaved over a second by drastically increasing downforce. Going to try to gradually get more straight line top speed. But am unsure I’ll close the over three second gap to my rivals. At least you two know you aren’t the slowest out there!
    RBJbMin.jpg

Edit: no idea what’s happening with the cropping on my image from my phone. Whatever.

Second edit: I’ve adjusted my steering sensitivity a bit. Found a half second.
    5NJfPZn.jpg

davidsdurions on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    What car are you using?

I've found myself rather taken with the Porsches, which is odd since I normally hate driving them in every other game.

The V8 Vantage. I've always loved Astons, and the sound of the V8 is unreal.

Just over 24 hours to get a time in for the Australian time trial. Link again for those who may have misplaced it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wNoRoewUeHxKZSrAj0iYE8ydSzHI6WpB-Zj7Fl5v1aA/edit?usp=sharing

Reminder for @Aridhol @SmokeStacks and @TheBigEasy

Oh shit, I need to bang a few more out.

(And then play some F1 oh God I'm so sorry)

edited March 2020
    How's that for a slice of fried gold:
    qu87rfjc2fgg.jpg

1:23.734 :cool:

And even dropping a tenth and a half in S2!
    I confess I loaded @Veevee 's setup for that. Good Lord, you can set up a car, dude!

Jazz on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Oh .. ok. Will try and bang out a few laps tonight (German Time). It has been a while since played that game.

Also, making an executive decision on the next one at Bahrain... We be driving the Ferrari.

No objection to that, but any particular reason?

Actually, minor correction... The 2004 Ferrari :)

First winner at the circuit.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Is this what Ice Cube was talking about when he rapped "Take a sip of the potion/hit the three wheel motion"?

I managed a 1:33.467

I don't know what's in worse shape, my tires or my pride.

Add me as a friend on Steam (same name), and use my ghost.

What kind of wheel you using?

edited March 2020

I have a G29. Not having ABS or TCS is really throwing me through a loop, I'm so used to driving sims with heavier cars that you can throw into and power out of corners, but trying that in an F1 car just gives you the opportunity to look at where you just came from.

edit:
    MkVN5TV.jpg

Those last few corners are really slowing me down.

SmokeStacks on

I have a G29. Not having ABS or TCS is really throwing me through a loop, I'm so used to driving sims with heavier cars that you can throw into and power out of corners, but trying that in an F1 car just gives you the opportunity to look at where you just came from.

edit:
    MkVN5TV.jpg

Those last few corners are really slowing me down.

One thing that helped me a lot was changing the wheel rotation to 360 rather than the default 900 (in the g29 software). That and upping the saturation to 15 in the game, and dialing back the force feedback.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm terrified of posting a hot lap time because a) Steam controller user, and b) I've had the game for about 5 days and only driven on 3 tracks, with c) every default assist on.

I think my baseline hot lap time is DNF......

spool32 on
    DNF is better than DNS, you'll get there.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have got to stop hitting curbs while turning and applying throttle.

edited March 2020
    I think I am done, and I don't think I'll end up cracking into the 1:24s. Did figure out one of my problems though... I forgot about DRS! So managed to gain a good .300 just from that, and honestly that lap could have gone better on the final sector.

I did take the 2004 Ferrari out for a test swing... That thing is really good fun.

oldmanken on
    I managed to shave it down to 1:30.275
    pVXLXBR.jpg

I was hoping to crack into the 1:20s, but driving F1 cars just makes me want to drive rally cars.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm terrified of posting a hot lap time because a) Steam controller user, and b) I've had the game for about 5 days and only driven on 3 tracks, with c) every default assist on.

I think my baseline hot lap time is DNF......

We all started there, ain't no judgement. Driving fake cars fast is hard.

pVXLXBR.jpg

I was hoping to crack into the 1:20s, but driving F1 cars just makes me want to drive rally cars.

Just go full Räikkönen with an F1 car.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    pVXLXBR.jpg

Let me know if anyone starts some DiRT Rally 1 time trial stuff and I'll reinstall it and have a go.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    pVXLXBR.jpg

Let me know if anyone starts some DiRT Rally 1 time trial stuff and I'll reinstall it and have a go.

Ooh yes I would do this.

steam_sig.png
    I'm going to extend the cutoff until 8pm CST tonight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wNoRoewUeHxKZSrAj0iYE8ydSzHI6WpB-Zj7Fl5v1aA/edit?usp=sharing

If you have a time, go ahead and update it.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

This is F1, not Formula D!

Also of note, I went ahead and set the start date for the Bahrain laps to today. Not sure why I had a gap, but if y'all want to start setting times, go nuts.

This is F1, not Formula D!

I beg to differ, it is currently Formula David. I have the some of the highest times recorded and therefore am winning.

LN2SD2C.jpg

Lots of time in sector 2 still to find. But I like this car and track combo.

This discussion has been closed.