As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic 1/21/2008 - Prehistoric Mexico

• DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PotU wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    Nintendo consoles pretty much live from the first party titles.

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. There are a few really good games, although lately they've been fairly rinse-and-repeat, which is not always bad. But there just aren't enough games.

Good games.

There aren't enough good games.

Yes. Right, I wasn't counting shovelware and turds.
    BusterK wrote: »
    I love my Wii and would never sell it
    I love the games I have for it and don't consider any part of it a disappointment
    Except
    I distinctly remember Nintendo saying they were going to try to have better relations with third party developers this go around
    Meanwhile they still seem to act as if they have an actual hatred for them
    They want be loved
    But it has to be on their terms
    Actually I wouldn't even mind that if it didn't mean I can't find any decent games for less than $50

Yeah, they pretty much lied. They haven't done shit. And WiiWare is the biggest lie of all; it's no more open to indies or small companies than their main licensing scheme.

EDIT: "Fuck you, faggot" is the best thing that can come after the word "because." It is the ultimate and final reason.

Defender on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Puscifer wrote: »
    Puscifer wrote: »
    The only game I haver ever played on the Wii was that bowling game and after sucking at that shit, I promptly told my cousin to take his Wii and go fuck himself with that "Japanese casual gamer bullshit, cause fuck you, faggot".

How edgy you are.

Because you should certainly take what I said seriously.

Dude, uhhhhhhh...

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ten0101 wrote: »
    Wait, so this game isn't really an RPG? The concept of an RPG set underwater looking for Nazi secrets got me more excited than 90% of the actual RPGs out there ever have. Oh well, back to Mass Effect.

Defender, I sung a song about you in the SE++ band thread (somebody else wrote it), nobody has commented on it yet so I guess it doesn't suck or rock too hard

Link? I have not been in there.

Thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=47261
    My post: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=4218293&postcount=745

B.C wrote the lyrics (lovingly) and I liked them so I thought I'd have a go at putting a melody to it.

On subject though, I'm trying to buy a Wii at the moment but apparently no stores are getting them until February. I'm mostly getting it so I have some games that my wife will like to play and that we can play together, like the obvious Wii Sports and Mario Galaxy. I've got a 360 as well so the trickle of quality games on the Wii should be enough to make it worthwhile.

Sorting the quality from the shovelware is another thing, but hey, that's what I've got you guys for, right?

Ten on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So far I've only been able to afford one system. I bought my Wii at launch and have yet to regret my decision.

I really don't want to get into yet another Wii debate; I'm just throwing that out there.

TheySlashThem on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, Wii was a worthy buy.

I don't have to play games everyday.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Defender when it comes to the Wii you are a big giant retard.

The fact that you're sayng an interesting idea like Endless Ocean is a bad thing shows how monumentally stupid you are.

Seriously, shut up about it. You're wrong, you will always be wrong.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Someone help me find a Wii

there are no Wiis anywhere

Centipede Damascus on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pata

you

what

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    Defender when it comes to the Wii you are a big giant retard.

The fact that you're sayng an interesting idea like Endless Ocean is a bad thing shows how monumentally stupid you are.

Seriously, shut up about it. You're wrong, you will always be wrong.

Are you trying to show how dumb you are?

I didn't say a single word about Endless Ocean.

And I'm always right.

Defender on
    edited January 2008
    Ten0101 wrote: »
    Wait, so this game isn't really an RPG? The concept of an RPG set underwater looking for Nazi secrets got me more excited than 90% of the actual RPGs out there ever have. Oh well, back to Mass Effect.

Defender, I sung a song about you in the SE++ band thread (somebody else wrote it), nobody has commented on it yet so I guess it doesn't suck or rock too hard

Hey I'm on the phone but I will listen soon. Already read the lyrics.

Defender on
    edited January 2008

This comic is about Endless Ocean. You use said game as an attempt to get your "wii sux lawl" argument shoved into the forefront

You're a broken record and I'm just going to insult you until you shut up about it.

Pata on
    edited January 2008
    I'm not even trying to debate you basically. I'm just calling you names cause I can.

Pata on
    edited January 2008
    Holy crap that's a lot of pent up e-rage right there.

Pata on
    edited January 2008
    Defender, Pata is being a colossal retard, but you aren't right about everything. Cut back on the hubris.

And Pata, calling someone a broken record and then, in the same sentence, pledging to say the same thing over and over again is... well, see my previous statement.

TheySlashThem on
    edited January 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    I don't see how saying there is lack of good games for the wii constitutes "wii sux lawl"

Because "there is a lack of good games for the Wii" is not true.

Pata on
    edited January 2008

And Pata, calling someone a broken record and then, in the same sentence, pledging to say the same thing over and over again is... well, see my previous statement.

Man Defender has the ability to really piss me off.

That's why I don't look at the Wii thread anymore.

Something about him and video game discussion just rubs me the wrong way.

Pata on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

And I'm always right.

I thought that it had potential as well, but I said "hey, let's see where it actually goes, cause this could be anywhere from super-awesome to complete shitpile." Then I got bitched at for a full year. And now, oh hey, it's bullshit.

Xaquin on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nintendo consoles pretty much live from the first party titles.

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. There are a few really good games, although lately they've been fairly rinse-and-repeat, which is not always bad. But there just aren't enough games.

Good games.

There aren't enough good games.

There are plenty of good games
    Just not as many as the 360
    If I listed all the games for the Wii I considered good games
    Both Trauma Centers
    Both Raving Rabbids
    Mario, Link, Metroid
    Umbrella Chronicles, RE: 4, even Madden is a lot more fun on the Wii
    To me that's a lot but none of themExcept Madden and RE:4) are ever going below $50
    That's the only reason I wish there were more great games

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nintendo does not love you back, I'm sorry.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey guys it's okay

Apparently you didn't listen to the warbling sea witch in the news post, or you'd all be making out and crying together instead of fighting.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited January 2008
    man, there are no Wiis being sold anywhere

obviously this is because the system is so terrible

Centipede Damascus on
    edited January 2008
    christ almighty

Defender you stirred up a bees nest of idiots

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2008
    you know I think the problem here is we haven't really defined how we're using "good" here

and as retarded as it may sound, we kind of need to

are we talking just AAA titles, or just games that are fun enough to warrant a purchase?

is we're talking the former, I'll concede that the Wii is lacking right now

but if it's the latter, that's horseshit

TheySlashThem on
    edited January 2008
    Dumb Hero wrote: »
    christ almighty

Defender you stirred up a bees nest of idiots

it's what he does best

TheySlashThem on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Hey guys it's okay

Apparently you didn't listen to the warbling sea witch in the news post, or you'd all be making out and crying together instead of fighting.

Truth. I ended up listening to all her songs I could find.

Beautiful voice.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Hey guys it's okay

Truth. I ended up listening to all her songs I could find.

Beautiful voice.

hold me

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's quite the logical fallacy in directly correlating sales and quality.

Case in point

Artists like Britney Spears and Soulja Boy routinely outsell more quality artists

National Treasure 2 outsold better movies

Survivor and American Idol fare much better financially than shows like Arrested Development.

Saying "X system sells well so your argument about games is wrong" doesn't hold a lot of weight.

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is Nintendo owes their unrivaled success to their ability to appeal to the mass market. Not their ratio of good games to shovelware

Javen on
    edited January 2008
    Thank you Javen

Abracadaniel on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    There's quite the logical fallacy in directly correlating sales and quality.

Case in point

Artists like Britney Spears and Soulja Boy routinely outsell more quality artists

National Treasure 2 outsold better movies

Survivor and American Idol fare much better financially than shows like Arrested Development.

Saying "X system sells well so your argument about games is wrong" doesn't hold a lot of weight.

Especially considering the fact that the Wii is pretty explicitly targeted to people who can't really tell the difference between good and mediocre games.

I'm not saying that there are no good games on the Wii. I don't regret buying one, but I realized quite a long time ago that being a fanboy is an absurd waste of time and energy. I really don't understand people flipping the fuck out when the system's objective faults are pointed out.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited January 2008
    Defender, Pata is being a colossal retard, but you aren't right about everything. Cut back on the hubris.

I think it's pretty obvious when I claim to be right about everything that I'm not serious, but perhaps this is the one thing I've ever been wrong about ever in the history of everything.

Defender on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To me Nintendo is like In-N-Out
    In-N-Out has the best burgers I have or will ever eat
    No one will ever convince me otherwise
    But occasionally I have to eat something else

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited January 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

And I'm always right.

I thought that it had potential as well, but I said "hey, let's see where it actually goes, cause this could be anywhere from super-awesome to complete shitpile." Then I got bitched at for a full year. And now, oh hey, it's bullshit.

Xaquin, that comment was not about Endless Ocean. You'll notice I said I got bitched at for "a full year." I sure as hell didn't say anything about Endless Ocean that far back. I was talking about the Wii. Also, if you quote the thing I was responding to, it was Shoe saying that some people still believe that the Wii has potential, so in context it becomes very clear that I'm talking about the Wii.

Defender on
    edited January 2008
    Pata wrote: »

Man Defender has the ability to really piss me off.

That's why I don't look at the Wii thread anymore.

Something about him and video game discussion just rubs me the wrong way.

It's probably that I know what I'm talking about, can back up most of what I say with either hard fact or well-educated opinion, and don't always suck with all my might at the delicious dick of whatever your favorite thing is. Lately, that's been the Wii (in general).

Maybe you're getting pissed off because I'm a huge douchebag. Maybe you should read vsove's posts instead, as they are the exact same content, to the point where I can't even reply to him because I would just be repeating his statements, except he doesn't call you a retarded faggot. But let's also consider the possibility that you have closed your mind and my posts, since they tend to be stated with force and backed up by solid reasoning or data, really bother you. They're harder just to shrug off because they're not completely unsupported, and they don't agree with you. Maybe that's what bothers you. I don't know, I'm not in your head. But sometimes it looks like that's the case.

Defender on
    edited January 2008
    Hey guys it's okay

Oh. That's beautiful.

Defender on
    edited January 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

And I'm always right.

Xaquin, that comment was not about Endless Ocean. You'll notice I said I got bitched at for "a full year." I sure as hell didn't say anything about Endless Ocean that far back. I was talking about the Wii. Also, if you quote the thing I was responding to, it was Shoe saying that some people still believe that the Wii has potential, so in context it becomes very clear that I'm talking about the Wii.

Sorry, I thought since we (well some of us) were talking about endless ocean, that you were too.

Apologies.

edit: and the Wii is bullshit?

why?

I know you've only played like 3 games on it (unless you've upped it since I last asked) .... I mean I wouldn't call the PS3 or 360 bullshit because I've never played a game on them

also, 'bullshit' is subjective anyway.

Xaquin on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    woah woah woah
    was somebody denigratin soulja boy up in dis thread

Randall_Flagg on
    edited January 2008
    Xaquin, I think I've answered that question many times before, but if you really want me to answer it again, I will gladly do in the Wii thread or via PM or IM. This is getting a little beyond the amount of posts about the Wii that I want to make in the New Comic thread, and, again, I've said this stuff before.

Defender on
    edited January 2008
    fair enough.

Xaquin on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    man, there are no Wiis being sold anywhere

obviously this is because the system is so terrible

that is a load of shit

PiptheFair on