As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Living like introverts: a [COVID-19 lockdown] survival resources thread

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    All the instructions are written on the card
    Yeah, probably - it's not like he'll be able to tell from an uploaded video

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    All the instructions are written on the card
    Yeah, probably - it's not like he'll be able to tell from an uploaded video

Sure, but you will have cheated not only the game, but yourself.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    A4 is letter.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Anyone have suggestions for good Tabletop Simulator games? Good time to get into that!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Anyone have suggestions for good Tabletop Simulator games? Good time to get into that!

I made a Penny Arcade's Thornwatch mod but never imported the expansion. Everything should be there for the base game though.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507849256

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    For those itching for some competitive sports, well, at least there's nerds playing computer games?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNNz0tvWvM

Check this out
    Marc Rebillet is a ... freestyle loop artist
    He goes for it
    And he's streaming live, right about now

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I didn't know which COVID-related thread this would be best in, and be the most helpful.

But I think on reflection, this would probably be it, so people can reference it.

Our College of Education director passed this on.
    We have a new faculty member this year in Special Education, who not only teaches those with visual impairment, but is also visually impaired herself. She has been an invaluable resource for us as we learn more about accessibility and how to address it correctly, and from the start, in our IT, instruction, and communication. To that end, I wanted to make sure I shared an email she sent out this morning. Ultimately, it has to do with a Zoom bug related to sharing URL's in chat. It is not something a screen reader can detect. Zoom is aware of this, but it looks like there is no fix in the near future.

"Colleagues:

I wanted to pass along an accessibility note to those of you who are in a leadership role and work directly with disabled students/faculty. First, I’ll start by saying Zoom is one of the most accessible video conferencing platforms out there so I am thrilled that it is the platform we use. Zoom takes accessibility really seriously and it shows in their software. Last week i was facilitating an online conference with a mix of disabled and able-bodied academics and we discovered that there is no way to access links shared via the chat feature using a screen reader (the hyperlinks are not visible to the screen reader and you can’t copy the URL either, very strange behavior). The chat feature as a whole is usable with a screen reader there is just this one glitch. This glitch may also impact sighted disabled folks who access the computer using a switch or keyboard only.

This is a pretty easy glitch to get around as there are a million other ways one could share a URL (RN, Email, etc.); but it could cause students to miss out on content if instructors and students aren't aware of this issue.

I did some research about this bug and it turns out that Zoom is already aware of this bug and working on re-mediating the issue. However, the fix apparently requires them to rewrite the code for the entire chat module (the unfortunate impact of not writing good code from the jump). All that is to say, this bug is unlikely to be fixed while we are operating in a fully online environment."

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I was just asked to organize a virtual/video happy hour

I’m guessing FaceTime and Skype are no bueno, any other options?

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Zoom pro is probably your best option for any kind of large scale video meeting. I think that goes to 100 people? It's 15 bucks a month though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Zoom pro is probably your best option for any kind of large scale video meeting. I think that goes to 100 people? It's 15 bucks a month though.

Is Microsoft Teams free? We just did a 150 person meeting in one (and some sort of jury-rigged 350 person one using two separate meetings somehow).

Stabbity_Style.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

How many people? Discord is free and can have up to ten I believe.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

How many people? Discord is free and can have up to ten I believe.

I thought they bumped that up to 50 due to the pandemic?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited March 2020
    7, great thought!

Captain Inertia on
    So I think we’re going to do quarantinis with Houseparty

It’s my work team’s weekly staff meeting and I guess we didn’t want to be on skype/teams while doing a virtual happy hour /shrug

I mean we’ve had no problems drinking as a group on the company’s time before but maybe someone is weirded out now

We just did Zoom free version with a dozen people, and it was just fine.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm down to sleeping like 4 or 5 hours a night. Then I'll nap an hour or two in the afternoon. Not getting much exercise for weeks makes it tough to sleep.

I was gonna do yardwork but now it's been raining for the last couple of days.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Alex Horne has organised a play-at-home Taskmaster series, where he will give a specific activity to be completed in a set time

First one below:

First results are also in.

BTW The official Taskmaster Youtube channel was already uploading all episodes on a weekly basis (full episode in order every Tuesday + compilation videos on Mondays), but that sadly seems to have been dropped for now (either to make space for this or because somebody needs to be in an office to actually do the upload, I guess). Never imagined all the emotions I could feel from watching somebody trying to throw a potato into a golf hole without stepping on the (red) green.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    edited March 2020
    https://www.boredpanda.com/national-cowboy-museum-head-of-security-twitter/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=BPFacebook

Want to read something fun? A museum put a security guard in charge of their social media during the quarantine. It’s delightfully funny watching him try to tweet.

The more I read though, this guy has to be trolling. :biggrin:

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I got sick of pre-recorded media and wanted a window into the world outside for a bit, so I wanted to...well, watch "TV." I don't own an antenna, didn't want to pay for it, but saw an ad for Puffer, a free-ninety-free streaming site rebroadcasting OTA from all the major networks (including PBS).

https://puffer.stanford.edu/

It's part of a research project on video compression, and they need lots of actual streaming data from actual streaming users with various connections. It's just no-frills streaming of all of the Bay Area's major networks. No pause, no record, equivalent to having an antenna. Works in most browsers. Does not work in Safari. May or may not work on mobile. You have to create an account, and must be in the US.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    https://www.boredpanda.com/national-cowboy-museum-head-of-security-twitter/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=BPFacebook

Want to read something fun? A museum put a security guard in charge of their social media during the quarantine. It’s delightfully funny watching him try to tweet.

The more I read though, this guy has to be trolling. :biggrin:

Of course, but it's in such a wholesome way that you can't help but grin.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It's only got 8 hours left, but Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition is on sale on Steam, for less than $10.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

Also available on GOG. Though apparently the price is geolocated. I see it as $8.09US, from Australia.
    https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_enhanced_edition_pack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzduuluK36AIVgqmWCh1L8gADEAAYASAAEgJXafD_BwE

Basically, it's Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition (NWN2 is 3.5). It's "real time", but only barely. And it's fun as a single player, with a crapload of content, even if you know what you're doing. There's also some DLC's and a toolkit for people to make their own adventures.

But it really shines in a group. @Forar and I played with a friend we know from GenCon (and his nephew) yesterday, and it was a blast. We had two glitches (one required a reboot, the other required Forar to jump out and back in BECAUSE HE WANDERED TOO FAR FROM THE GROUP!), but a good time was had by all.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Levar Burton has a podcast where he reads various short stories. He's been doing it for a long time.

What's new is Neil Gaiman just gave him permission to read any of his works for free. So there's that to look forward to.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If Levar Burton and Neil Gaiman have a soothing voice-off competition. The entire world could just gently nap thru quarantine

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Illfonic, makers of the Friday the 13th game, are making an asymmetrical Predator game. It is having a free weekend on the Epic store before launch next month, starting in about an hour.

Docshifty wrote: »
    Illfonic, makers of the Friday the 13th game, are making an asymmetrical Predator game. It is having a free weekend on the Epic store before launch next month, starting in about an hour.

A friend of mine is working on the Predator game as a level designer. He’s been trying to get everyone excited to give the game a shot. Hope it turns out good.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I had a lot of fun with F13, and I give them a pass on it kinda losing steam because the Jason lisence went sideways. I am super excited for this one.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Game is bullshit unless the Predator instinctively flees Danny Glover on sight.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Got a full fireteam. But the game seems to really be having issues setting matches up. 10 minute queues. Dumped in to empty lobbies. It was just fine when it opened!

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Got a full fireteam. But the game seems to really be having issues setting matches up. 10 minute queues. Dumped in to empty lobbies. It was just fine when it opened!

I blame DocShifty. If they weren't promoting it on Penny, then the servers wouldn’t be overloaded.

Listen, it is a fun game and frankly I need more spines to pull out.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Just heard on the Sirius at work that Sirius is free until May

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Levar Burton has a podcast where he reads various short stories. He's been doing it for a long time.

What's new is Neil Gaiman just gave him permission to read any of his works for free. So there's that to look forward to.

Not only that, Levar's daughter Mika Burton is about to star in a show called Critter Hug come May with Critical Role's Matt Mercer, they will be featuring various members of the D&D and boardgame community, doing interviews, and generally being chill people.

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular

He will now also be live streaming different age-appropriate stories on twitter:

Hell yeah, I'm checking in on Friday.

Levar Burton...after dark.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    He should do a follow up reading of "Go the fuck to sleep".

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Forar wrote: »
    He should do a follow up reading of "Go the fuck to sleep".

I would agree, but Samuel L. Jackson already gave us the definitive reading of that; anything else would be redundant.

*watches RT vid*

Okay, maybe I could be wrong.

Commander Zoom on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!