As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    B-Hole Shock, btw, featuring on a new song with The Weeknd

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    yeah don't give your chocolate starfish a shock if you're in poor heart health

as most doctors will likely recommend I'd wager

... maybe not in those words exactly

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    9/10 Doctors recommend not shocking your B-Hole.

Who's the 10th tho?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Who's the 10th tho?

It's 8 out of 10, and the two doctors that DO recommend butthole shocking?

Ryan Reynolds and Elijah Wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I was considering a bidet but I have neither power or hot water going to my toilet area. I'd probably have to get a plumber and an electrician in to get the good setup.

Unless you just have spectacularly cold tap water the non-heated kind isn't that bad.

The tap water in the winter is usually cold enough to be uncomfortable to wash my hands with. I have absolutely no interest in spraying my butthole with freezing cold, winter water at 6am.

It wakes you up though.

it’s brisk

5gsowHm.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Who's the 10th tho?

It's 8 out of 10, and the two doctors that DO recommend butthole shocking?

Ryan Reynolds and Elijah Wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Speaking of music videos with Elijah Wood. I have to watch this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evA-R9OS-Vo

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Somehow a book ended up in the laundry. Went downstairs last night to the basement floor covered in water, detergent, and shredded paper. Fuck. The drain had so much paper stuck in it and the force of the water turned it basically into cement. So instead of trying to figure out how to get that paper out, I bought a new length of PVC and replaced it.

Plumbing level: master.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Somehow a book ended up in the laundry. Went downstairs last night to the basement floor covered in water, detergent, and shredded paper. Fuck. The drain had so much paper stuck in it and the force of the water turned it basically into cement. So instead of trying to figure out how to get that paper out, I bought a new length of PVC and replaced it.

Pure sodium hydroxide crystals will hydrolyze cellulose and allow it to dissolve into solution. Basically pour pure lye crystals down the clogged drain and let it sit for a little while. Dump cold clean water down the drain to rinse it clean.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    They said that since they had their inspection Jan 2019, that they don't want to fix anything else. Which is understandable. They fixed stuff then (and had receipts for it). The place is so well maintained.

I understand their view, but making blanket statements like that is slightly concerning.

I mean in a year a lot can happen. I'd feel better if they said no cosmetic fixes.

I think our idea is if there is something major, we will go back to them no matter what. The fact that they had their own inspection and fixed things last year, at least to me, shows that they are serious about making this house ready to sell. We shall see!

I pray to the Gods that the inspection goes well. Our crap neighbors decided after three years that last night, when I had a terrible headache laying in bed, for it to be the first time they blast their TV so loud we hear it through the wall.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, we're in the middle of a whole house reno, not living in the house while it's gutted. The store we've ordered our appliances from has shut down their stores and all deliveries for an undetermined amount of time. We were a month or two away from needing them anyways, but this is showing the impact that the virus may have on some of your reno projects

As well, half the inspectors for the city aren't showing up to work.

:so_raven:

Pure sodium hydroxide crystals will hydrolyze cellulose and allow it to dissolve into solution. Basically pour pure lye crystals down the clogged drain and let it sit for a little while. Dump cold clean water down the drain to rinse it clean.

Good to know! On the plus side, this was a super easy fix. Hack saw off the old pipe, throw the new one on with a coupler. Sealed perfectly.

The hard part has been getting all the shredded paper out of the clothes. Most of them are good now but I have a couple pairs of cargo pants that are possibly ruined. Washing them a couple more times then gonna try by hand next.

So, we scheduled the inspection for Monday. They cancelled because they have to close down. FML. We just had to sign some stuff dealing with Covid 19. I am honestly freaked out by everything going on and super frustrated. WE ARE SO CLOSE TO GETTING OUT OF HERE.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    We’ve been at ‘we should hear back from underwriting tomorrow’ for about a week at this point... seems like the whole system is getting strained

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    If you are looking at a move, make sure you are able to do the move yourself at this point, some movers in my area are refusing jobs

:so_raven:
    Corvus wrote: »
    If you are looking at a move, make sure you are able to do the move yourself at this point, some movers in my area are refusing jobs

Yea, this is another thing.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Good to know! On the plus side, this was a super easy fix. Hack saw off the old pipe, throw the new one on with a coupler. Sealed perfectly.

The hard part has been getting all the shredded paper out of the clothes. Most of them are good now but I have a couple pairs of cargo pants that are possibly ruined. Washing them a couple more times then gonna try by hand next.

Keep tabs on how much residual paper is in the line. Also I'm assuming you cleaned the washer itself of paper residue.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just be real careful with pure sodium hydroxide, you do not want that stuff on your skin or accidentally splashing yourself with it if it's mixed in water. You're talking real possibility of a major chemical burn, so we're talking long sleeves, gloves, and goggles at a minimum.

I've worked with potassium hydroxide crystals. Protection helps a lot (especially the eyes) but also keep some 50% vinegar solution nearby to spray down any potential splash areas.

You'll know you have a small amount on your skin if it starts to feel very itchy.

Mugsley wrote: »

Keep tabs on how much residual paper is in the line. Also I'm assuming you cleaned the washer itself of paper residue.

Oh for sure, I cleaned everything out. There's just a few pieces of clothing that were in the wash that will not separate from the paper. The rest of the clothes are good. Mostly it's my cargo pants for work which, yay, not working now!

Just be real careful with pure sodium hydroxide, you do not want that stuff on your skin or accidentally splashing yourself with it if it's mixed in water. You're talking real possibility of a major chemical burn, so we're talking long sleeves, gloves, and goggles at a minimum.

Absolutely. The directions on the bottle say to wear gloves and eye protection. It also recommends covering the drain after dumping in the lye and to work in a well ventalated area. And do not breathe the fumes.

My kitchen drain was clogged when I used it. I had opened the kitchen window in which I placed a fan set to high, blowing air out.. I opened my front door for cross ventilation. I donned sunglasses, a long sleeve shirt and nitrile gloves. I covered my face with a shirt just in case. I ran water untill the drain was full, let it drain down a little then poured in the crystals. I let it sit for around a half hour before flushing with cold water.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    We’ve been at ‘we should hear back from underwriting tomorrow’ for about a week at this point... seems like the whole system is getting strained

I've read a lot of back offices and state offices have been deemed non essential and closed. In many states some physical action is required, so even if the employees are working from home, at some point things will just stop.

I found the article I read this all in: Is Now a Good or Terrible Time to Buy a Home? https://nyti.ms/397EUqY

Edit: corrected the article

Cauld on
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Home inspection is scheduled for Monday! I am equal parts terrified and excited! I am really hoping for no huge surprises. I know the AC is out and I am hoping it's a reasonably cheap fix. If not window units are a thing so we can manage. I am not thrilled with reports of mortgage rates shooting up to 5%, but that also won't stop us to be honest. I really love this place for a variety of reasons. Here is to hoping nothing major is found! We won't get to know until the report comes in because it has been asked that we not be there for the inspection due to covid which is fair, I think.

You are lucky that they are still doing your inspection. I'm in Philly and ours was cancelled. If it was me, I would want to be at the inspection, but I understand the circumstances. Good luck!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, the entire home maintenance/building/repair industry ground to a halt around here two weeks ago. I needed to get some siding repair done and have basically been unable to get anyone to answer their phones. My usual handyman basically said "I'm stuck at home watching my kids until this is over." So, I told him that I'd probably get back with him after the kids are back in school because NO ONE is doing work in Pitt County.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    You are lucky that they are still doing your inspection. I'm in Philly and ours was cancelled. If it was me, I would want to be at the inspection, but I understand the circumstances. Good luck!

Oh we had every plan to do be there, but the guy specifically requested it to limit exposure and I can't really argue right now. As you said, we are really lucky to get an inspection at all right now. I was tempted to put up a fight but decided to take the win on this.

Our lawn guy still came out Friday to pull down some trees and dig up an old garden. He said he was expecting to be stopping work soon.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The landscapers that mow our lawn were bugging me to sign up for weekly lawn mowing again this year. I sent them the signed contract last Monday and it's been radio silence ever since, haven't responded, haven't posted anything to their social media channels. I assume they are effectively shut down. Would be nice if they said something though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The landscapers that mow our lawn were bugging me to sign up for weekly lawn mowing again this year. I sent them the signed contract last Monday and it's been radio silence ever since, haven't responded, haven't posted anything to their social media channels. I assume they are effectively shut down. Would be nice if they said something though.

Weekly is unnecessary. Fortnightly if your grass grows fast and you want to keep it looking neat and groomed.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Weekly is unnecessary. Fortnightly if your grass grows fast and you want to keep it looking neat and groomed.

Oh I know, nobody around here offers less than weekly is the problem. Or if they do I haven't found em.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

Oh I know, nobody around here offers less than weekly is the problem. Or if they do I haven't found em.

Well I mean do they want your cash or not?

"Every second Saturday morning or fucking nothing, take it or leave it."

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

I'd say that depends on where you live and time of year. Come summer and all the rain here in florida, if I skip a week my lawn is a jungle. I've had to mow twice in a week some years/grass types.

96058.png?1619393207
    This has got me thinking about biting the bullet and just buying a lawn tractor already and getting my Hank Hill on. I wonder if the electrics are worth a damn?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My one electric mower (push, not riding) had the problem of the engine getting weaker when it started losing power. And because I didn't mow every weekend, thicker patches of grass would stop it up, and it was incredibly frustrating.

I swapped it for a gas mower and it was like night and day. Lawn mowing is definitely an area where I'll take practicality over environmental friendliness. At least until I can uproot every bit of grass and get full coverage with clover.

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    I got a nice electric self propelled push mower last summer. Have no complaints about it at all. I had a plug in electric years ago that was ridiculously annoying because of needing the cord, then I switched to just a manual reel mower for a number of years. The one I got has I think a 56 volt battery (I forget the amp hours) but supposed to have about an hour runtime. My yard is really small and only takes about 20-30 minutes so I've never had an issue with the battery running low.

That said, the good ones are expensive and I definitely could have gotten a comparable performance gas mower for probably a couple hundred less. No clue on how good electric riding mowers might perform.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Any tips/advice for dealing/not dealing with dandelions? My back yard is exploding with the things, and while I don’t really mind a bit of wild weed mucking up my backyard (the clean lawn look is very much not my thing), I think I may have some responsibility to mitigate the impact on my neighbors.

Cut off the heads before they spread seed? If you're worried about using chemicals, you can kill them with boiling water

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Cut off the heads before they spread seed? If you're worried about using chemicals, you can kill them with boiling water

I guess my question is, aside from trying to keep them out of the neighbors’ yards, is there any particular reason I should kill them? Like, will all my grass will be starved of nutrients?

Edit: Left to my own devices I’d keep my yard walkable and maintained but otherwise let nature do what it will back there, so I’m not super looking to start a war with weeds unless there are risks I’m not aware of or if it’s going to infuriate the neighbors, really.

OneAngryPossum on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Yeah, the entire home maintenance/building/repair industry ground to a halt around here two weeks ago. I needed to get some siding repair done and have basically been unable to get anyone to answer their phones. My usual handyman basically said "I'm stuck at home watching my kids until this is over." So, I told him that I'd probably get back with him after the kids are back in school because NO ONE is doing work in Pitt County.

So, as a follow-up to this, I was finally able to get someone to come out. We agreed to keep six feet apart and talk from opposite sides of the lawn as I pointed out what needed to be fixed. A couple hours later, his guys come out, do the work and my entire interactions with his team was an exchange of a payment slip and a check followed by me thanking them through the window. So, work is getting done but everyone is very clearly taking this serious.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I guess my question is, aside from trying to keep them out of the neighbors’ yards, is there any particular reason I should kill them? Like, will all my grass will be starved of nutrients?

Edit: Left to my own devices I’d keep my yard walkable and maintained but otherwise let nature do what it will back there, so I’m not super looking to start a war with weeds unless there are risks I’m not aware of or if it’s going to infuriate the neighbors, really.

My lawn was/is claimed by the dandelion gods. It doesn't really do anything to the grass. It's basically an aesthetic issue. They look fine when they're in bloom if that's your thing. But when you mow the lawn and cut the heads off, you're left with tubular stocks that look downright alien in origin. If you're also fine with that, then you can just leave 'em. Outside of completely reseeding the entire lawn, you'll never get rid of them. I tried picking them early when they started popping up, and for every day I'd pick 20, 40 would appear the next week. Even trying to be preventative and yanking any visible starting roots with a tiller or using weed killer didn't work.

If you don't mind them, then don't worry about it. If you do though... well you've got a massive job ahead of you.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.