As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The main thing I've noticed about Doom Eternal is that whoever wrote it seems to have really liked the story in Diablo 3. "Doomslayer! This demon will be your end! Ah, I see you have destroyed my mighty demon. Nevertheless, this new demon shall be your undoing. Ohoo, foiled again! But, this next demon..."

I'd say the biggest difference there is that the demons are actually scared shitless of the Slayer and it's all false bravado, as evidence by how they cower when finally confronted.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's certainly interesting that that is the tone they went for. All these old gods talk a ton of shit, but once you murder their minions they cower and die with very little fight.

It also feels like, with all the plate spinning, this game is less "super power fantasy" and more "skin of your teeth"

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I think I agree with Jeffs thoughts (see Warzone vid /w Vinny and Ben) that the initial levels are rough due to bad tutorials and incomplete kit. It gets better and I think the Sekiro comparison is actually right. Once you internalize how the game wants you to play, it makes a lot more sense. I think 2016 is a bit better tho...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm excited to try Doom Eternal because I'm curious how I'll react to the changes. I love Doom 2016, but it ran out of steam about two thirds of the way through for me. The "walk forward, combat arena, walk forward, combat arena" was starting to lose its luster, there were basically no new enemies or combinations left to introduce aside from bosses by that point, the weapons and upgrades made me essentially immortal and removed most of the challenge from the game and only the sheer fun of the combat loop (and that Super Shotgun) kept it from getting old by the time the ending rolled around.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'll add that even Sekiro doesn't ask you that much. Well to my skill level at least. You usually have to select from 3 situations against bosses vs where I'm at in Doom: 5 weapons with 2 mods each (except the Super Shotgun), or grenade, or flame.

Not even exaggerating when I say that Sekiro wasn't as draining as Doom Eternal when I started the game on ultra-violence. And it's not the fun kind of difficulty where I look forward to overcoming a challenge -- it's just exhausting.

The weird thing is that Eternal isn't even that much more complicated than 2016. 2016 has a bunch of weapons with swappable alt-fires and enhancements, suit upgrades, runes, double jumping and mantling and 3 different grenade types. Eternal just adds a dash and the flamethrower mechanic. (and even knocks it down to 2 grenade types)

The trick is that Doom 2016 let's you get buy with just some of that stuff. Sure, if you mastered it all, you were basically a god and would destroy any encounter put before you, but you didn't have to. In Eternal, it feels like every encounter expects you to have a high level of mastery, and it doesn't on-road you to that mastery very well at all.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I was watching a lot of Doom 2016 streams last month and there were a lot of people had a hard time towards the end because they forgot the chainsaw and the bfg existed.

agree with @Undead Scottsman

Back in 2016, the Super Shotgun was a get out of jail card for most encounters. Due to the way ammo works now, you are SEVERELY punished for relying on just one gun.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    watching Maximilian Dood play on ultra violence and he never uses flame beltch, he’s up to the gore nest and it’s driving me mad, he never has any armour. I feel like a ghost who can’t warn the new owners of the house about a curse

Edit: whoops thought this was the doom thread

Prohass on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Bold of them to include a swathe of Mass Alex 3 moments in their Best Of while simultaneously not releasing a new episode this week /sadface

Bold of them to include a swathe of Mass Alex 3 moments in their Best Of while simultaneously not releasing a new episode this week /sadface

The "Best of" videos are contracted out.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

They're working on getting New Mass Alex stuff done.

I hardly fault them for the circumstances

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man I've been playing Doom Eternal and I think it's better in pretty much every way than the first one. I even thought there were TOO MANY tutorials, and turned them off in the settings. It's definitely a lot harder than the first one, but I'm playing on the second difficulty and find it hard but fair (except when I get stuck on geometry).

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    KetBra wrote: »

They're working on getting New Mass Alex stuff done.

I hardly fault them for the circumstances

I'm mostly being flip about it tbh, they already mentioned offhand in the Beastcast about moving their setup around for Mass Alex stuff

BRIAN BLESSED on

Here you go.
    Mass Alex: Mass Effect 3 - Part 03

PREMIUM EPISODE

TOMORROW

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Jeff's HL: Alyx stream... Was amazing. Jeff telling Rattie to "drink up buddie!" Fuckin' hilarious! :lol:

I feel like Valve needs to add a dedicated Steam achievement for getting a Rat to the end of the game, if there is not an achievement for that already. Title it "Jeff and Ratties Adventures (in the Apocalypse...)" :-D ^_^

I really wasn't sure it would persist between area loading screens, very happy when it did! :-D 8-)

And Jeff shooting himself in the face* after Rattie went and activated full 'idnoclip'... LMAO! Ahaha! :D:lol:

*P.S Jeff... Ummm, are you... ummm... okay, buddy? Times IRL are hard, I know...

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Thus us the most pedantic thing I've ever done, but its idspispopd or idclip.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Thus us the most pedantic thing I've ever done, but its idspispopd or idclip.
    And the number of times I typed both of those, back in the 90's... :lol: :redface: :rotate:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    wth happened during the recording of the Bombcast lolol did not expect that PSA

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Of course Dan would be the kind of person to fuck with your island in Animal Crossing. I miss that madman.

NNID: Rehab0

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

check the audio version at around 123 min mark when Ben starts talking about Bejeweled.

Oh, I thought it might have something to do with the person in Jan's bed.

Abby has first shift stream today, and she's playing Link to the Past for the first time.

steam_sig.png

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    RIP Ratthew. Your candle burned bright, but nearly not long enough.

steam_sig.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Newest Mass Alex
    Goddamn that EDI robot body. It's like the designers just went "BOOBS!" and ran with it. Then doubled down on the creepy joker. Some fucking decisions there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Is Giant Bomb running so slow as to be unusable for anyone else?

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Is Giant Bomb running so slow as to be unusable for anyone else?

Yeah i assume its stress due to everyone being home. I usually watch stuff through youtube if its not a live stream.

steam_sig.png
    This Half Life: Alyx stream is quality premium content. Jeff has a handle on VR games and finding the fun and mayhem in them to a degree that is only rivaled by Vinny and open world games or Dan and Nintendo games made into dumb/awesome features.

Emergent storytelling at its finest is what I am watching right now.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    This Half Life: Alyx stream is quality premium content. Jeff has a handle on VR games and finding the fun and mayhem in them to a degree that is only rivaled by Vinny and open world games or Dan and Nintendo games made into dumb/awesome features.

Emergent storytelling at its finest is what I am watching right now.

It proved to me that Jeff is indeed a psychopath lol

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited March 2020

I think Rorie is starting to lose it.

Undead Scottsman on
    If you're into this sort of thing, Alex is doing a Rock Band stream right now. It's a pandemic themed playlist, with hits like "Don't Stand So Close to Me" and "Gotta Keep Em Separated"

steam_sig.png

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

That's a nice croc of cheese

steam_sig.png
    Pretty fun watching Abby play Link to the Past. I like the thought of Link (Zelda) running around and shouting "BOOM!" as he swings his sword or throwing "suck my dick!" out there.

In my head I was internally screaming Boomerang for a bit there, but mostly just here for Abby rambling and playing a great game and trying not to get caught up in how this should be like e-sports level Zelda play. The luck factor is pretty high so far with lots of near deaths but Abby pulling through. Anticipating a cat to maybe make an appearance at some point.

Heh, good point about how the snakes in the castle basement should have eaten the rats that are also there.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Doom 2016 was already not gaining anything from its complexity, on normal at least. I think I used a grenade once in that game. For wanting to be straightforward and encounter based action perfection that game could have already done without all of it's upgrade trees.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Croc Monsieur

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Alternative answer: croquefort

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's clearly a shoe pastry.

This discussion has been closed.