As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Note he doesn't include dental appointments. More proof dentists are bullshit #fuckyoudentists

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Sooo should I try to stock up on weed now or...?

I mean I know this ain't the biggest concern I should have right now, but as a dude who uses weed medicinally to manage mental health stuff it at least is A Concern.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

I mean I know this ain't the biggest concern I should have right now, but as a dude who uses weed medicinally to manage mental health stuff it at least is A Concern.

If I remember correctly, other states (CA?) that issued stay-home orders classified dispensaries as essential. Don't know if WA will do the same, but there's that at least.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Until told otherwise I'm just gonna keep showing up for dialysis even though it’s not on the list it’s an essential service for me.

What’s his enforcement plan, btw? Have the state patrol set up checkpoints and ask everyone what their business is?

And what’s the legal authority for any of this shit?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    There are no details yet. "coming days" is what is said on website for enforcement.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    like am i gonna need to get a doctor’s note to travel from my house to treatment?

This shit is getting ridiculous.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    I'd imagine dialysis is considered a doctor visit. I mean its essential to you.

And I believe its honor system right now, just if people ignore the orders will it become less honor system.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Note he doesn't include dental appointments. More proof dentists are bullshit #fuckyoudentists

Washington state dental association already advised dentists to cancel all non-essential operations. So its not much of a change.

wbBv3fj.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    like am i gonna need to get a doctor’s note to travel from my house to treatment?

Even if it's hard/impossible to enforce, it still helps

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I'm going to buy a bunch of edibles tomorrow to wait this out. Gonna go on a grocery adventure tonight and see what's left on shelves. I hope LQA is less mobbed than usual.

I guess Inslee ended his speech with some Whitman, an educated man, now I know I hate him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular

I can let you know for certain tomorrow but my company was told they’d be able to stay open if such measures were put in place.

We also received permission to take orders out in the parking lot for medical patients so they do not have to leave their car.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Jubal77 wrote: »

I skimmed through the order and cannabis retail is still considered essential under the Food and Agriculture sector, so thankfully no hoarding should be necessary (although I suspect there's going to be a heavy run in the next 48 hours regardless)

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    I mean if you are hoping people don't panic, keeping weed shops open is the smart move.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My store is on Capitol Hill, so mostly people living in small apartments and retirement communities, not a lot of room to hoard stuff. We're back up to staying pretty decently stocked, and even did over a million in sales last week. I live in Magnolia, same store chain located over here, shelved ransacked every day because lol rich people with big houses still gotta panic buy all the dry goods every day.

edited March 2020
    Weaver wrote: »
    My store is on Capitol Hill, so mostly people living in small apartments and retirement communities, not a lot of room to hoard stuff. We're back up to staying pretty decently stocked, and even did over a million in sales last week. I live in Magnolia, same store chain located over here, shelved ransacked every day because lol rich people with big houses still gotta panic buy all the dry goods every day.

The stores on top of Queen Anne are the same way: every rich motherfucker with a cavernous abode has been sweeping the shelves clean of groceries. Thank goodness they're delaying the closing/demolition of the Safeway up there, otherwise the hill would be quizzically underserved for outlet options. Last thing I want is more competition from those wealthy assholes for my precious bougie food down here in LQA.

Hacksaw on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

the notion that they will have checkpoints set up to hassle citizens is absurd

where do you think the manpower might come from? even if he called up the national guard and every state trooper, there wouldn't be enough, and such an action would itself be a needless risk

to the extent that this will be anything other than an honor system, any pressure exerted will be on businesses, and they'll assume that not having to go to work will be reason enough to stay at home

and, given that "taking a walk" is one of the stated acceptable reasons for leaving your house, maybe relax a tiny bit

Inslee still needs to do something about a rent holiday; I've got friends and coworkers who are going to end up on the street at the end of this crisis if things drag on too long.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean if you are hoping people don't panic, keeping weed shops open is the smart move.

The last thing we need is to create an opening for illegal drug activities to start cropping up on the streets even more than they already do.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    What makes your friends ineligible for unemployment?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    unemployment benefits are usually a fraction of what your earnings would have been and that's an extremely big deal for any working-class person in Seattle

Oh christ I just looked it up and it only pays 1/2 your previous pay (up to about 80k/yr).

Jesus, this state, get it together.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    The last time I used it I could've sworn it was like 70 or 80%, which like, sucks but is a lot more reasonable.

Aioua wrote: »
    Oh christ I just looked it up and it only pays 1/2 your previous pay (up to about 80k/yr).

Jesus, this state, get it together.

Also only lasts six months.

I was unemployed for over a year before my current job.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    unemployment benefits are usually a fraction of what your earnings would have been and that's an extremely big deal for any working-class person in Seattle

Someone getting minimum wage, full-time, ends up with half that--the equivalent of $6/hour on unemployment--which really misses the point of minimum wage being the minimum wage that someone can live on.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Given what Inslee has done so far, my guess is that the full economic half of the lockdown efforts is coming shortly. Dude isn't perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy with the level of concern shown during all this.

If he was perfect, they'd have adjusted the unemployment %'s along with eligibility, as well as sneaking a carbon tax in.

He seems to care and is willing to use the power of the office. If people reach out and let his staff know where his policied have gaps, maybe we can get gaps addressed?

Ok apparently it's been 1/2 since at least the mid-aughts, I'm not sure what it was before that.

I'm guessing I thought it was more since the only thing they'll deduct is 10% for the IRS. So if at your previous employment you had deductions for retirement plans, health plans, and/or a higher tax rate, your old take-home would be closer to the UI benefit.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Given what Inslee has done so far, my guess is that the full economic half of the lockdown efforts is coming shortly. Dude isn't perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy with the level of concern shown during all this.

If he was perfect, they'd have adjusted the unemployment %'s along with eligibility, as well as sneaking a carbon tax in.

He seems to care and is willing to use the power of the office. If people reach out and let his staff know where his policied have gaps, maybe we can get gaps addressed?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/inslee-asks-trump-to-declare-major-disaster-in-washington-to-unlock-unemployment-benefits/
    I suspect he knows that unemployment has holes, but the state doesn't have the money needed to handle that much unemployment.

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    My best friend gets paid in cash for their job. It’s a long complicated story, but I would be amazed if their employer was paying for the unemployment insurance. Even knowing what they make, unemployment would cut their take home in half.

Unemployment instead of just cutting a check is going to starve a lot of people on the margins.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://westseattleblog.com/2020/03/just-announced-west-seattle-bridge-closing-because-of-deterioration/?fbclid=IwAR3DRzCX5-X2ro5Fm89-hrp5j4T-eqnMVOA1E7Y1qkOMzFy4-QKjiToXJZI
    UPDATED 4:59 PM: The city has announced an emergency closure of the high-rise West Seattle Bridge “until further notice,” starting at 7 pm tonight.

Extra "fun".

https://westseattleblog.com/2020/03/just-announced-west-seattle-bridge-closing-because-of-deterioration/?fbclid=IwAR3DRzCX5-X2ro5Fm89-hrp5j4T-eqnMVOA1E7Y1qkOMzFy4-QKjiToXJZI
    UPDATED 4:59 PM: The city has announced an emergency closure of the high-rise West Seattle Bridge “until further notice,” starting at 7 pm tonight.

Extra "fun".

Geeze. West Seattle does not need extra mess to deal with.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If this had been during normal times, the traffic snarl tomorrow would be monumental.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So anyone have a guess as to whether childcare is considered essential? We're worried the nanny we hired won't be able to/won't be comfortable coming to the house under these restrictions. I was pretty sure Inslee said childcare during the address, but it's not in the official document :?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I dunno where the state's gonna get the money to cover everyone out of a job. They can't run a deficit and they're barely keeping schools funded as it is.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I finally got myself a letter from an ARNP and a test supposedly today. Yay.

I'm not sure which one I'd rather be. Negative and a little by hypocondriatic or positive and justified. Probably the former, as if it's the latter...oh boy...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If I knew for fact I wouldn't end up in the hospital and contribute to the crunch, I'd almost rather catch it now. I live alone, can work from home, and have enough supplies for weeks. And when I got over it and stopped being contagious, I'd (almost certainly) have immunity and could maybe take a vacation week and do something meaningful with it like help old people get supplies or do manual labor in hospitals or something.

This is a terrible time to feel like my otherwise wonderful tech job provides little to no societal benifit. I feel like a moucher in this time of crisis.

But I know the best thing I can actually do right now is continue staying at home and away from people.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    Legacy wrote: »
    I finally got myself a letter from an ARNP and a test supposedly today. Yay.

I'm not sure which one I'd rather be. Negative and a little by hypocondriatic or positive and justified. Probably the former, as if it's the latter...oh boy...

I hope your negative for what its worth. But if you're positive you have this community to help you through it bro. STRONGER TOGETHER!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So anyone have a guess as to whether childcare is considered essential? We're worried the nanny we hired won't be able to/won't be comfortable coming to the house under these restrictions. I was pretty sure Inslee said childcare during the address, but it's not in the official document :?

It is listed as essential, my wife is at work right now.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    My work got everybody set up to work from home, but now the legal team is trying to get our lab labeled "Essential" and get us letters from the government letting us go back into work.

So this will be hilarious. Video games are super important, ya'll.

This discussion has been closed.