As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Thread to discuss [JRPGs]

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Remaster the Lufia series you cowards!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it would be rad if Atlus bought all the Quintet and Neverland IP and did remasters

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I also want a remastered Baten Kaitos

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that may well be in the cards

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    that may well be in the cards

get it

no

because cards

see, the joke is

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    shadow hearts

liEt3nH.png
    shadow hearts

Shadow Hearts 2 was an almost perfect game.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I want Skies of Arcadia ported to Switch or PC. Not even a remaster, just hand it over Sega!

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    shadow hearts

What's the almost?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    shadow hearts

What's the almost?

There’s always something. I’d have to really think about it though.

shadow hearts 3 rules aside from the problematic literal magical native stuff

Or

And this is crazy

Make new games that play like old school RPG’s

Turn based for life!!

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

They gameplay was really great.
    The music was great.
    The characters were.... okay?
    The story fell completely flat for me and I had no emotional attachment to any of it.

It's the Tales of Graces of Shadow Hearts games.

shadow hearts

What's the almost?

I got it. It requires playing SH(1) to get the full impact, which while still a fantastic game, is overshadowed by it's sequel.

Without playing SH1 before it, a certain emotional scene won't leave you nearly as emotionally devastated and crying your eyes out.
    Without playing SH1, the Albert Simon conversations won't have the same impact.
    Without playing SH1, the endings might not make the same amount of sense.

It really is a direct sequel.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Or

And this is crazy

Make new games that play like old school RPG’s

Turn based for life!!

Bravely second.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean a lot of the gay-related humour in SH2 is, at best, "of its era" shall we say

liEt3nH.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Ah but who here has played the first Shadow Hearts, Koudelka?
    It’s not good!

sig.gif
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    shadow hearts

What's the almost?

I got it. It requires playing SH(1) to get the full impact, which while still a fantastic game, is overshadowed by it's sequel.

Without playing SH1 before it, a certain emotional scene won't leave you nearly as emotionally devastated and crying your eyes out.
    Without playing SH1, the Albert Simon conversations won't have the same impact.
    Without playing SH1, the endings might not make the same amount of sense.

It really is a direct sequel.

As someone who came in on 2, I didn’t get any of these references.

It is still the GOAT in my book.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Ah but who here has played the first Shadow Hearts, Koudelka?
    It’s not good!

It kind of is the opposite of

They gameplay was really great.
    The music was great.
    The characters were.... okay?
    The story fell completely flat for me and I had no emotional attachment to any of it.

It's the Tales of Graces of Shadow Hearts games.

The gameplay is trash
    I don't remember music at all?
    The characters are great
    The story is really interesting and the character interaction is excellent.

It also was one of the earliest mocapped games, and all the actors were actually acting with each other and it really shows, and it really pays off.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    I remember wiping in basically one hit at the final boss, reloading and surviving the same attack fine the next time

It played like a tactical game in combat but it was so freaking hard to even know what the results of any action would be it was impossible to actually use any tactics

It had wretched early PS1 load times, every move in battle took several seconds to wind up and down, and it had an atrociously high encounter rate

Oh and I don’t even know how to describe the music except it’s bad. The main battle theme sounds more suited to... some kind of cultural documentary?

https://youtu.be/Bj_sgpk8g9o

Its main saving grace is that it’s not very long despite its... 3 CDs I think? 4? Bad compression, prerendered backgrounds, lots of CG and voice acting will do that.

sig.gif
    Next Gen dream that's possible, because the series isn't in rights hell like Shadow Hearts.

Bring back Wild Arms.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Next Gen dream that's possible, because the series isn't in rights hell like Shadow Hearts.

Bring back Wild Arms.

Bring back Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    If we're listing JRPG wishes that'll prob never happen then give me a xenogears remaster, but actually make the ending this time instead of it turning disc 2 into story time.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    I think xenogears is probably the first JRPG that made me really sit down and ask questions like "is this genre just not for me any more?"

I mean, Sony has the rights to Wild Arms. It's their series. And Media.Vision, the devs for all 7 games, are still around and still making/working on great games (they made the Digimion Cyber Slueth games, Shining Resonance, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 & 4 for some examples).

It can happen!

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Give me Thousand arms remake

Edit:
    https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/nier-creators-mobile-rpg-sinoalice-finally-launchi/1100-6475080/

Nier creator Yoko Taro's mobile RPG SinoAlice has been available in Japan for nearly three years.
    Nier: Automata director Yoko Taro's mobile fairy tale role-playing game SinoAlice first launched in Japan back in 2017, and after being delayed from a planned 2019 launch, it's finally going to launch worldwide.

SinoAlice will launch globally on July 1, and the pre-registration site is available for Google Play. The iOS registration will be available later, and players will get rewards based on the total number of registrations once the game launches. Rewards include extra events as well as a special spear.

Peas on
    Chrono Break!

sig.gif
    Yeah, I'm not touching another Square Enix 'Global' version moble game with a 20 foot pool after how they treated SOA. Yoko Taro or no.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Nexon is the publisher for global, I believe

Maddoc wrote: »
    Nexon is the publisher for global, I believe

That would be even worse.

The game's global version is under Pokelabo now, the origional developers. The switch up is probably a good chunk of the reason for the extra delay.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nexon seems like it's not doing great, they've shuttered the global servers for Maplestory 2 already

yeah, maplestory 2 should've been printing money

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    wait i got nexon and neople confused nexon suck

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    yeah, maplestory 2 should've been printing money

Seems the userbase was smaller than MS1, which is still around. Reminds me of the failure of Ragnarok Online 2.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Maple Story 2 went internet wild west in the bad way pretty fast too.

That game had a pretty huge moderation problem. Alt-right memes as far as the eye could see.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Playing Octopath Traveler before Final Fantasy VI can be a trip sometimes. Got to the mansion to re-recruit Relm in the WoR, and there were bits of "The Magic House":

https://youtu.be/GHKbiuzPvY8

...that strongly brought back memories of "Forbidding Corridors":

https://youtu.be/oOXnTBPcCNU

...although of course any influence went the other way around.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ah...did someone say wishlists for jRPGs that will never happen because the company that owns the rights are either defunct or just don't give a fuck anymore?

*sheds single tear as I think about the direct sequel to Suikoden 3 that will never be*

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.