As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Nice Weekend [Podcast]

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I listened to Totally Reprise episode 138, this time the show has gone....... to the dogs
    "I guess Cid is kind of like dad hot." "Yeah he's daddy hot." alright I'm pretty sure these are two different things
    "A Realm Reprised"
    "Remember? We're doing that bad idea."
    "How are the things?" "The things? They're pretty strange!"
    "I won't bore everyone with sports talk" "Oh, thank God."
    "Does the Totally Spies wiki know something we don't?" "I doubt that."
    "If there's one thing I know about the writers of Totally Spies it's that they love feet, if there's two things I know about them it's that they love feet and Austin Powers."
    thank you google funny characters box
    "The thing about this episode that really bugs me is we don't know if that dog is weak to magnets or not."
    "Is this what they do with the dogs that lose?" oh no
    "That's also another thing that's happened Dustin, is that we like Jerry now."
    "His skin has an eject button! Why would you do that?"
    "Whispering to my girlfriend, that's Chompy."
    "Chomper did nothing wrong."
    "People don't like it just as much as they didn't like it when it came out!"
    "I have only read very few comic books, but God have I read a lot of comic book wikipedia pages."
    "It would be really fucked up if you like, Wishboned a Magic Treehouse book."
    oh yeah I read some Pendragon
    "I'm glad that we've now turned 'wishbone' into a verb."
    Bartimaeus books kicked ass imo
    PIERS ANTHONY FUCK OFF
    yeah a spell for chameleon is really like that
    "I would use Clifford to rob banks."
    "I can't believe that Evangelion 4.44 is coming out before the last act of Kentucky Route Zero." nope!

"I have only read very few comic books, but God have I read a lot of comic book wikipedia pages."
    I relate

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I relate

Put that on my tombstone.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    In the finale of A Spell for Chameleon, the bad guy fires a big ultra spell at the hero, whose luck powers kick in and cause all of the bacteria in the air to randomly cluster in front of him and absorb the blast

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Luke telling Chincy to not "MovieBob" something from the Sonic movie might be the most vulgar insult y'all have thrown at one another in TWA.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    You guys ever get a sore tailbone from your computer chair?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Sometimes, this newer one I got is pretty good though

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think it has to do with the lumbar support cushion pushing my butt too far forward in the seat.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    In the finale of A Spell for Chameleon, the bad guy fires a big ultra spell at the hero, whose luck powers kick in and cause all of the bacteria in the air to randomly cluster in front of him and absorb the blast

Yeah, it's awesome.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This Podcast Will Kill You dropped a six-parter on Covid19 today. Just in case your life isn't saturated enough with virus stuff yet.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Okay having listened to Waypoint's take on Doom Eternal now, I have a question

(spoiling because no one should have to be subjected to "person whines that someone doesn't like a game they do" without opting into it)
    One of the big things for them is that the game does this weird half thing where it gives you some of the story in the gameplay but gives you the rest in written codex entries, which they didn't like

But like...isn't that From Software's whole thing that everyone loses their shit about

I'm genuinely asking, I haven't played through those games because I don't like how they feel, but my understanding was that the story in Dark Souls is like half obscured and the only way to put it together is through item descriptions and shit

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

be on the right side of history

vote for an episode on the movie Jack

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

(spoiling because no one should have to be subjected to "person whines that someone doesn't like a game they do" without opting into it)
    One of the big things for them is that the game does this weird half thing where it gives you some of the story in the gameplay but gives you the rest in written codex entries, which they didn't like

But like...isn't that From Software's whole thing that everyone loses their shit about

I'm genuinely asking, I haven't played through those games because I don't like how they feel, but my understanding was that the story in Dark Souls is like half obscured and the only way to put it together is through item descriptions and shit
    I think thier issue is that they don't think the Doom story is interesting enough to justify wanting to dig into the codex.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I want a Jack episode but had to vote Del Toro just because he has more movies that I want to hear about

And the last recap made a pretty strong case for why his narrative would be unique— he does “one for me, one for them,” but flipped— he makes small prestigious films so he has an excuse to make the big blockbusters that he’s passionate about

Patreon vote is Elm Street vs Living Dead and I gotta sit this one out, I know nothing about either of those

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Coppola series would be wildly interesting

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The thing about the story in Dark Souls is that Dark Souls is not a story game, it is a tone piece. When Austin Walker talks about the things he loves about the story of Dark Souls it's not putting together stories from item descriptions, it's about the feeling of walking into Majula for the first time and seeing people slowly populate it, about opening up the tomb of Vendrick and finding that he's just this empty husk who can't even think aimlessly walking in a circle.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

it's maybe the ultimate miniseries

it's the highest of highs and the lowest of lows

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I think thier issue is that they don't think the Doom story is interesting enough to justify wanting to dig into the codex.
    Also From Soft's lore texts are very brief, only hinting at the greater world and leaving it to the player to fill in the blanks. Doom's sound more like a ton of big info dumps.

I liked the codex a lot in Doom 2016. Haven't hopped on the Eternal train yet so I have no idea about it though.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Okay, those clarifications help, thanks ya'll

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Okay, those clarifications help, thanks ya'll

Those are all relatively true and also a lot of people think the Souls games are perfect, flawless gems crafted by a master and gently bestowed upon humanity so that we may be blessed by their brilliance, far outshining all others. So, like, that's also another reason why.

And DOOM's are just more straightforward codexs that you'd find in Horizon or Halo or Wolfenstein that are MOSTLY just added info and MOSTLY just left randomly in the world as floating pages of fire to pick up.

• Options
    Giant Bomb is back on and Vinny is currently streaming him doing the New York Times crossword

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Jeff's now streaming himself playing Half-Life Alyx in VR. Unfortunately I'd say that it's currently unwatchable due to absolutely terrible audio balancing between Jeff and the game, which he seems clueless about and isn't showing any signs of checking in or having any support to let him know while he's strapped in.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Was feeling a little meh on HL Alyx but Jeff's playing it and carrying a rat with him the entire time and I am not invested.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The codex stuff is also a big step down from Doom 2016. In Doom 2016 they were all done as UAC corporate reports and blurbs. So you had the juxtoposition of corporate jargon and workplace culture, and occult hell stuff that got progressively more and more off the wall. In Eternal, they're mostly just dry info dumps. Very disappointing.

EDIT: Like, 2016 had a very big air of the plot just being nonsense to justify shooting endless hordes of demons and the game knows and embraces it. Doom Eternal feels like it's high on it's own supply and that it thinks it's heavy metal scifi epic is just the raddest shit in the world and you can either sit back and enjoy it in all of it's gory details, or just skip the cutscenes like one of those people.

The air of "The Doomguy does not give a shit about the plot" is almost entirely gone, replaced with "Doomguy has to chill out repeatedly so plot and exposition can happen." It puts the onus of not taking the plot too seriously away from the Slayer and puts it back into the hands of the player, which removes one fo the best things about 2016.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Giant Bomb is back on and Vinny is currently streaming him doing the New York Times crossword

This is the most interested I've ever been in Giant Bomb.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

it's maybe the ultimate miniseries

it's the highest of highs and the lowest of lows

Like I love Del Toro to an unhealthy degree. To a point where his flaws transfer to idiosyncrasies I kinda of like in their own way instead.

But yeah. The variety of Coppola is absolutely way better material for a podcast.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    well it started out with Coppola in a healthy lead of like 10 percent but now Del Toro is ahead by 1200 votes so Del Toro wins

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Jeff's now streaming himself playing Half-Life Alyx in VR. Unfortunately I'd say that it's currently unwatchable due to absolutely terrible audio balancing between Jeff and the game, which he seems clueless about and isn't showing any signs of checking in or having any support to let him know while he's strapped in.

I think he's stuck not seeing a bright red lever to pull on a puzzle device because of color blindness
    yay he figured it out, yeah it looked indistinct to him

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have started listening to 5 Grams of Iron to go along with finally watching FMA Brotherhood and it's very good

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The codex stuff is also a big step down from Doom 2016. In Doom 2016 they were all done as UAC corporate reports and blurbs. So you had the juxtoposition of corporate jargon and workplace culture, and occult hell stuff that got progressively more and more off the wall. In Eternal, they're mostly just dry info dumps. Very disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHWg2Rm8d3E

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I have started listening to 5 Grams of Iron to go along with finally watching FMA Brotherhood and it's very good

You love to see it

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Iron makes crappy bullets give me nine grams of lead every time

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

You love to see it

To me? The show is good

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Bald Alex is going to take some adjusting to.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Jason’s interactions with his son are heartwarming as hell

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    vote for Elaine May dammit, we need Ishtar

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hey, Off-Book uploaded the Seattle live show as an episode this week! It was a really good one to watch live, so you should listen to it with your ear holes to commemorate one of the last times I was allowed outside!

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    vote for Elaine May dammit, we need Ishtar

Does Ishtar have Will Smith fighting a giant robot spider

This discussion has been closed.