As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Ignatz has, like, the same growth rates as Bernadetta, and everybody loves her and says she's a murder blender.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ignatz suffers by having Claude as his closest comparison on the Golden Deer team, I think. I mean... Clause is fucking unstoppable, as are all the house leaders. If you need an archer to do something, you send Claude to clean up.

In comparison poor Ignatz seems terribly fragile, even if that's not fair.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Actually I think Ignatz has better growths overall (Bernie has two 25 or lower growths), but Bernie has a crest that occasionally lets her get an extra attack in (of course, one of her worst stats is luck).

Personally I've never had a Bernie with good stats, Shamir & Leonie always ended up my strongest archer/snipers (not counting Claude, that's just cheating)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Ignatz has, like, the same growth rates as Bernadetta, and everybody loves her and says she's a murder blender.

Bernadetta's biggest competition as an archer is Petra, who you probably want to make a melee/flying unit regardless. Bern also has a really great personal skill, while I... can't recall what Ignatz's is, actually

To be clear I think Ignatz is a pretty good unit, he was a nerdy murder machine rolling Assassin in my Verdant Wind playthrough, but he has the double-whammy of "being an archer on the same team as Claude" and "personality that a lot of players don't find engaging most of the time" holding him back in that particular contest

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    His personality is drawing lewds of the Goddess

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Wyborn wrote: »

Bernadetta's biggest competition as an archer is Petra, who you probably want to make a melee/flying unit regardless. Bern also has a really great personal skill, while I... can't recall what Ignatz's is, actually

To be clear I think Ignatz is a pretty good unit, he was a nerdy murder machine rolling Assassin in my Verdant Wind playthrough, but he has the double-whammy of "being an archer on the same team as Claude" and "personality that a lot of players don't find engaging most of the time" holding him back in that particular contest

Bernie learns Pass, which allows her to move through enemies at will. She also gets Deadeye for massive bow range. Add in high accuracy and more passive accuracy from archer classes, range up from Sniper/Bow Knight... her main thing is she becomes a hyper mobile assassin who picks people off and runs away to safety. She threatens 7 spaces away before moving as a Bow Knight. And has Canto.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    plus, ignatz is boring!!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The difference is Bernadetta has an amazing, amazing personal skill.

It is what makes her a very competitive unit. And Ingnatz personal skill is pretty good, but it isn't free extra damage all the time good.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah I mean he hits all the time, but it's for 3 damage.

• Options
    Bernie: personals and talent in spear and budding talent in riding is why she’s so much better than Ignatz

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Apparently I can make someone a Dancer this month. Should I do that? Who? (Deer)

captaink on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Apparently I can make someone a Dancer this month. Should I do that? Who? (Deer)

Yes. You should absolutely do that.

As for who... well, anyone you like, really. Anyone you intend on using, anyway. Dancer is a really good support class that can also use some magic.

• Options

As for who... well, anyone you like, really. Anyone you intend on using, anyway. Dancer is a really good support class that can also use some magic.

The character you make a dancer also gets sword avoid+20, which can be hilarious in the right situation. They have awful growths aside from charm though. Also make sure to boost the candidate's charm a bit that month (tea time, etc) if you can. There's a target amount to win the contest, though it's not too hard to hit.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ignatz actually wasn't that bad he was a crit machine.

And his personal skill basically gave him +20 Hit which is functional if not amazing.

But yeah, him basically fitting the same niche is Claude who is gonna be busted cause he's a Lord does reflect poorly on him.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I was looking through abilities...and I have to say Dimitri has the most busted Crest in the game.

• Options

You should absolutely make Raphael or Flayn your dancer, if you plan on using that unit for an extended period of time.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The character you make a dancer also gets sword avoid+20, which can be hilarious in the right situation. They have awful growths aside from charm though. Also make sure to boost the candidate's charm a bit that month (tea time, etc) if you can. There's a target amount to win the contest, though it's not too hard to hit.

Whoever you choose as your Dancer will get the following benefits:

- Sword Avoid +20: An Ability that gives them 20% avoid while equipped with a Sword. This is the only thing that can be used outside of the Dancer class.
    - A Combat Art whose name I've forgotten that attacks using the Charm stat instead of Strength.
    - A special move, Dance, that allows a unit to act again after taking its turn.
    - Upon class mastery, they'll get an Ability called Special Dance that improves various stats on the target, like a Rally.
    - Better skill growth in Swords and Authority.

The Dancer is sufficiently multifunctional that a lot of different archetypes can benefit from becoming the Dancer. However, you should also keep in mind that the Dance move is their most powerful ability, which consumes their turn. If you've got a character who isn't really keeping up, it can be useful to make them your Dancer so you get, effectively, a second copy of the nearest more useful character.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Make Hubert Dance

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Petra Dancer was a very fun run. Just let everything attack her and miss because Petra with even more evasion is stupid. (NG+ so I could just slap Alert Stance+ and Defiant Avoid on her too)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Petra Dancer was a very fun run. Just let everything attack her and miss because Petra with even more evasion is stupid. (NG+ so I could just slap Alert Stance+ and Defiant Avoid on her too)

Oooooooooh I hadn’t thought of that, sounds juicy

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    While the dancer passives are very nice, it can't really be stated enough how stupid broken the dance ability itself is, which is why I like giving it to someone who is struggling to remain relevant rather than just making an already good unit even better. Especially with all the broken stuff in this game like stride/warp/Canto/Wyvern Lords, having an extra turn for your truly busted units enables some pretty funny stuff

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Basically as long as you're dancing Lysithea every turn, it doesn't matter who your dancer is.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I made Dorothea my dancer because I didn't want to make it a fair contest for the other competitors.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I love that Lysithea is just a “fuck you” cannon to point at the Death Knight

Is it even possible she doesn’t 1-shot him?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    If you don't have Dark Spikes, probably?

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I made Dorothea my dancer because I didn't want to make it a fair contest for the other competitors.

The biggest problem with making Dorothea a dancer is she'll lose casts of Meteor.

• Options
    If you don't have Dark Spikes, probably?

So!

She gets it at low enough Reason to have it for your first encounter with him

You would have to recruit her (or be GD) and bench her/not train her

• Options

if you're playing at highest difficulty he will absolutely obliterate her.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »

You absolutely want to set it up to pile gambits onto him if possible. He's not fun to deal with in any route on the higher difficulties.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I will say one thing that playing fe3h made me realize. Given the nature of the battle system its kind of hard if not impossible to have epic 1-on-1s. Because you never want any fight to last longer than 1 engagement.
    I mainly realized this when you'd fight a former student.

Its all

"I knew this day would come professor, let us finish this."

"..."

*Byleth one shots them*

Me: Well that was anti-climatic

Also not gonna lie I really don't understand the point of having a silent protagionist at this stage of the game except it saving money. Byleth's dead stare and the constants "..." didn't make me feel like the character as much as it took me out of the dialogue.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I like Byleth more than any of the recent FE POV characters but yeah I'd prefer a POV character that was firmly separated from the player.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    My favorite is probably still Robin.

Mainly cause having a kid does a lot to humanize them.

Also I realized the issue.

Robin still has dialogue because no one was voiced(outside of soundbites)

Byleth doesn't have dialogue in the traditional sense. But everyone else still does.

Which is a downgrade to me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

For the first encounter I generally find this to be true as well. She can put a hurt on him but you gotta be careful. After that though she just murders him. If not a OHKO then so much damage that you just throw one or maybe two gambits to get to a kill. She is just a ridiculously strong murder machine.

• Options
    Well the issue on Maddening is that Death Knight is able to counterattack from any range and has a personal skill that gives big avoid and damage reduction against gambits. Also he moves even in his first appearance. (Although only if you get in range of him or attack him.) If you wanna kill him gambits are the way to go but it's hardly a certain thing.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Well the issue on Maddening is that Death Knight is able to counterattack from any range and has a personal skill that gives big avoid and damage reduction against gambits. Also he moves even in his first appearance. (Although only if you get in range of him or attack him.) If you wanna kill him gambits are the way to go but it's hardly a certain thing.

This is what I did on both of my Maddening runs. It takes a bit of work to get the placements just right, but you can manage. The first time really sucks, but the second time just requires you to set up outside the door just right.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Also not gonna lie I really don't understand the point of having a silent protagionist at this stage of the game except it saving money. Byleth's dead stare and the constants "..." didn't make me feel like the character as much as it took me out of the dialogue.

I think the reasoning behind a silent protagonist is that when you read multiple dialogue options it's awkward to then hear one spoken.

Of course, there's... basically no point at which I think the dialogue options in this game actually mattered. Or were generally superior to just writing dialogue for Byleth.

But that was probably the reasoning.

• Options
    They got Jennifer Hale to say sixty four thousand voice lines for Shepherd, why did Byleth have to have no dialogue?

Though I do like how Hapi calls Byleth "Chatterbox". She is good at nicknames.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I picked up FE Fates a few days ago for the first time since it came out. I'd finished Conquest and was 2/3 through Birthright. Went ahead and started Revelations.

I'd forgotten just how dumb the plot was. And I think I figured out while Corrin rubbed me the wrong way. He's just such a passive character! He doesn't do things: things happen to him and he reacts however the person nearest him suggests. Revelations has been slightly less bad about that, I guess, but it's still bad. He doesn't seem to be forming any sort of real plan, he just kinda runs around and begs people not to fight him. The passivity even extends into his Supports, which all seem to focus on the most superficial aspects of the other character and the overwhelming majority have the other character profess their love for him rather than vice versa. That the game frontloads all the typical Super Special Protagonist stuff (Oh! He's beloved by both sides! Oh! He's the only person in the world who can turn into a dragon! Oh! He gets a legendary sword because he's the Chosen One too!), which all feels completely unearned, is the cherry on top.

Robin, as a contrast, is a much better implementation, and I find him to be a far more interesting character. Aside from his unique class getting a comment about it being super useful, there doesn't seem to be anything great about him at first other than his mind. He takes the role of Tactician and he's all about planning and schemes, and those plans he comes up with are set up and paid off in-story. His Supports are far more diverse and are often about him finding a way to help his friends, which almost always cuts below the surface level traits of both characters. He doesn't even get a unique weapon of his own.

Byleth feels somewhere in between. He's certainly more palatable than Corrin, but much less active than Robin, and of course has a third of the personality. I appreciate what they were going for trying to make him an emotionless person as a plot point, but it seems like a mistake to put that trait on the character we're supposed to identify with. At the very least, it should have been something he grew out of as the story progressed. They already have gated Supports so there's no worry about emotionless Byleth suddenly opening up in Rank A with, say, Claude, and then immediately becoming taciturn again in the next story mission. It might have taken some clever writing to compensate for those occasions where the situation is reversed, but it seems doable. I also wish they'd had the guts to not make Byleth an amnesiac again. It makes no sense in the story and it should be easy enough to pick up on the things we need to know from context clues.

Anyway, that's my opinions on Fire Emblem Avatars. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I picked up FE Fates a few days ago for the first time since it came out. I'd finished Conquest and was 2/3 through Birthright. Went ahead and started Revelations.

I'd forgotten just how dumb the plot was. And I think I figured out while Corrin rubbed me the wrong way. He's just such a passive character! He doesn't do things: things happen to him and he reacts however the person nearest him suggests. Revelations has been slightly less bad about that, I guess, but it's still bad. He doesn't seem to be forming any sort of real plan, he just kinda runs around and begs people not to fight him. The passivity even extends into his Supports, which all seem to focus on the most superficial aspects of the other character and the overwhelming majority have the other character profess their love for him rather than vice versa. That the game frontloads all the typical Super Special Protagonist stuff (Oh! He's beloved by both sides! Oh! He's the only person in the world who can turn into a dragon! Oh! He gets a legendary sword because he's the Chosen One too!), which all feels completely unearned, is the cherry on top.

Robin, as a contrast, is a much better implementation, and I find him to be a far more interesting character. Aside from his unique class getting a comment about it being super useful, there doesn't seem to be anything great about him at first other than his mind. He takes the role of Tactician and he's all about planning and schemes, and those plans he comes up with are set up and paid off in-story. His Supports are far more diverse and are often about him finding a way to help his friends, which almost always cuts below the surface level traits of both characters. He doesn't even get a unique weapon of his own.

Byleth feels somewhere in between. He's certainly more palatable than Corrin, but much less active than Robin, and of course has a third of the personality. I appreciate what they were going for trying to make him an emotionless person as a plot point, but it seems like a mistake to put that trait on the character we're supposed to identify with. At the very least, it should have been something he grew out of as the story progressed. They already have gated Supports so there's no worry about emotionless Byleth suddenly opening up in Rank A with, say, Claude, and then immediately becoming taciturn again in the next story mission. It might have taken some clever writing to compensate for those occasions where the situation is reversed, but it seems doable. I also wish they'd had the guts to not make Byleth an amnesiac again. It makes no sense in the story and it should be easy enough to pick up on the things we need to know from context clues.

Anyway, that's my opinions on Fire Emblem Avatars. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Byleth's not an amnesiac. He just doesn't know a lot about the world.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well, it's kept ambiguous, but fine, Byleth has been kept so in the dark regarding basic world history and his own past as to be functionally indistinguishable from an amnesiac.