As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Nice Weekend [Podcast]

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    vote for Elaine May dammit, we need Ishtar

Does Ishtar have Will Smith fighting a giant robot spider

Yeah

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    vote for Elaine May dammit, we need Ishtar

Does Ishtar have Will Smith fighting a giant robot spider

Yeah

That's like, the one thing I know about Ishtar, I figured everyone knew that.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The codex stuff is also a big step down from Doom 2016. In Doom 2016 they were all done as UAC corporate reports and blurbs. So you had the juxtoposition of corporate jargon and workplace culture, and occult hell stuff that got progressively more and more off the wall. In Eternal, they're mostly just dry info dumps. Very disappointing.

EDIT: Like, 2016 had a very big air of the plot just being nonsense to justify shooting endless hordes of demons and the game knows and embraces it. Doom Eternal feels like it's high on it's own supply and that it thinks it's heavy metal scifi epic is just the raddest shit in the world and you can either sit back and enjoy it in all of it's gory details, or just skip the cutscenes like one of those people.

The air of "The Doomguy does not give a shit about the plot" is almost entirely gone, replaced with "Doomguy has to chill out repeatedly so plot and exposition can happen." It puts the onus of not taking the plot too seriously away from the Slayer and puts it back into the hands of the player, which removes one fo the best things about 2016.

I think this is in part a victim not really of the developer "not getting it" as much as their entire story not really being revealed until about 2/3 of the way through this game. Spoilers for Doom Eternal
    It's shown that Doomguy, at the end of I guess Doom 64? Was transported to the Space Warriors Planet and rises up through the ranks of their army until he's given his current magic powers and then trapped in Hell.

So in Doom 2016, he literally does not have any time for this corporate hell bullshit because he knows more than they do, is stronger than them, and has only one goal, which is to stop the invasion.

In Doom Eternal the corporate stuff is all done, earth is being invaded actively, and the antagonists are people that he's on the same level with. So he engages with it differently.

You actually see more of the "throws the plot aside" in one of the later levels when he's interacting with humans for the first time in the game.

I get why people are disappointed by it, but I actually really liked how Eternal shifts between those two modes.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    gang the latest FatT patreon live play is up and the incredible chaotic energy of keith, art and austin is phenomenal

this is the biggest shitshow piece of content I think they ever uploaded and I am loving every second of it

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

for the first hour or so Sonnenfeld had a commanding 60/40 lead but it's gone down to 52/48

It Could Be May

6F32U1X.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Alex' Eurotruck stream learned me I need to listen to more Azerbaijani radio

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Big ol' fuckin podcast drop

9uWZIub.jpg

Never forget the hideous perfidy of Trump

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    listened to Teenagers With Attitude episode 195, it's the first episode with Jason back on the team and they defeat the main villain, anyway a good chunk of it's about baby food for some reason
    "Oh, Zack's back in the hosting chair. I guess I'm being replaced."
    "Zack, I want to seriously challenge your claim that they can run out of colors."
    "I love Power Rangers, I love all their shit, I've never given a single crap about the motorcycles." it's always just like, they use them in like two episodes for no reason and that's it (I'm pretty sure it's like that in Sentai too)
    "If these guys just owned some companies in Angel Grove, their brand of evil would thrive." gotta be a brand for your brand of evil to work
    "Do you think Zordon gives performance reviews to the power rangers?"
    "Tommy gives weekly reviews."
    "Can I tell you that I stubbed my same toe four times in the same day last week?" thanks to Zack, Teenagers With Attitude really has more physical comedy than you'd think a podcast could have
    "I have to get into the mindset of Mike from like two minutes ago."
    "When you get a new zord, it's not a new fuckin' iPhone"
    "Please see my new fetish website, just the feet dot com." "I guarantee that's an actual website, and people should not go there."

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I can't believe it only took Jan's Bloodborne series 3 episodes before Vinny came in and did a bunch of audio chaos magick to it

Zemeckis has come in and put both Coens in a headlock simultaneously

6F32U1X.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Welcome to Marwen wins that so easily

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Thanks to Where's Pod When I'm Scared I started following the Veggietales Facts Twitter account, so I have extra context for that account's tweet about the economy that went viral.

jkmo2yyqtpjs.jpeg

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

Zemeckis has come in and put both Coens in a headlock simultaneously

Coens are back up now

come on, Bobby Z fans, let's go

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I can't imagine someone who looks at those filmographies and goes "Hmm, yes, the ones who make all the crime movies would be more interesting to talk about than the guy who made Marwen, Polar Express, Roger Rabbit, and Back to the Future"

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    are they doing all of zemeckis if he wins? that's a huge filmography

aeNqQM9.jpg
    New teaser for the magnus archives was released, confirming this to be the final season

man, what a bummer; I finally find a good 'cast and it's about to wrap up

it's weird that effective narrative progression is considered an overall con instead of a pro, I know. I just wish that universe didn't have to "end", as it were. There's something to be said for the ol' monster of the week trope - there's always another week coming

wY6K6Jb.gif
    You could start 'Til Death do us Blart, unless you happen to outlive the crew you'll have a new one of those to look forward to for the rest of your life

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    There are so many episodes that would be amazing JD Amato fodder for Zemeckis

aGPmIBD.jpg
    my issue with Zemeckis is it's so long, it's 19 movies, exactly as long as Demme just was and that took 5 months

I want them to cover more people more often

this is why I am ride or die for the only choice, Bong Joon-Ho

seven episodes, all killer no filler

6F32U1X.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    my issue with Zemeckis is it's so long, it's 19 movies, exactly as long as Demme just was and that took 5 months

I want them to cover more people more often

this is why I am ride or die for the only choice, Bong Joon-Ho

seven episodes, dog killer no filler

I heard the governement shut Dog Killer Filler down

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    0dac4dd8b52d27dec4a6aec5972f1146.png

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I want a Martin Campbell series.

I'm also starting to think he should have done The Force Awakens instead of JJ.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Oh right I forgot about the one where you learn how to save your community

listened to Totally Reprise episode 139, it's a long one that's mostly about bad home improvement projects, it's great
    "If I tell Zack what we're doing after we're done, can you bleep it out, Ashley?" "Yeah." "[BLEEP]" "Oh, Jesus!"
    "What a specific beef, from years ago, like, I'm mad that I know what you're talking about." fortunately I don't know what it is
    "Here's the thing: Power Rangers sucks shit!"
    "Oh, yeah, why would you want to talk about good things?"
    "and then he sent a skunk robot to Earth to make everyone too stinky to fuck each other." okay sounds like power rangers is gonna be getting pretty wild pretty soon
    "I think wrestling might be stupid." "You're just now getting there?"
    "You're gonna drive to your ivory tower high school with that classic car."
    "I think all dads eventually become deck werewolves."
    "When we moved into our house, it had 0 gazebos."
    "We called it a creek, I think everyone in that town called it a creek, it was a drainage ditch."
    "He did finish the pond with the waterfall, but he tends not to finish most projects."
    "I have a fuckin' dad, I know how this works."
    "So you have like 2.75 gazebos."
    I can't even picture what's going on in this yard at all
    "Well my dad is building three gazebos, clearly a monocle isn't out of order."
    "He really wanted to make it look like a TGI Friday's" excuse me
    "You gotta save it first, but then you can ruin it."
    wait this villain was actually in another episode?
    "The US government was just developing foot fetish AI."
    "Let's go back and listen to that Catwoman one, see how that Yanny and Laurel joke plays now."
    "Somebody just like, invented snakes, but they have legs now."
    "WOOHP has its own prison, huh?" extremely
    "Speaking of terrible things, is Alex of Asian descent?" "Nope!" "No." "No." "Okay, do you know why I'm asking that question?" "Yeah!" "Yep." totally spies really slipped some racism in there just out of fucking nowhere
    "I feel like they almost tricked themselves into believing that she's Chinese."
    "Yeah, these three spies get taken down by four Barbie dolls." well of course they're outnumbered, what can you do
    pretty sure I've only heard of Small Soldiers in the context of podcast episodes about tv show episodes where toys attack people
    very bothered by the whole seth toyman continuity situation
    "So Jerry made a robot servant that has feelings, and then made it do all of his work, is what happened." yeah that sounds like something he'd do
    "Sam's accessories are a gun and a man cowering in fear."
    "Boy, I don't like the term 'WOOHP chute.'"
    orange tictacs really are just candy
    "Can I go?" "No. We're smoking the whole pack."

Worst Year Ever crankin out episodes hot and heavy with dry cough and effluvium discharge, "What Doctors Want You to Know"

edited March 2020
    Also this was as good as you'd imagine

Also there is a new Behind the Bastards on the notoriously alarming literature 'The Survivor' by notorious lunatic Kurt Saxon which I am definitely not extremely familiar with due to a terrible childhood

Hobnail on

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

In case it's not clear

replacewythy has just realized that a significant arc in Power Rangers Zeo is about a robot being cuckolded by a different robot

The second robot is also a bomb

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    RIP Louie Kaboom, always in our hearts

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    "Zeo is bad, Simon. It's not better than the other seasons. Turbo is better."

sig.gif
    turbo is good, actually, is the thing

In case it's not clear

replacewythy has just realized that a significant arc in Power Rangers Zeo is about a robot being cuckolded by a different robot

The second robot is also a bomb

I don't really understand why that wouldn't be clear to everyone

I would be happy with either, but voted for Prince

the real battle is on the Patreon, which is Mission Impossible v Muppets

vote Muppets, save Griffin Newman, get the greatest JD Amato ep ever, let's go

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm going to need every episode of Newcomers to feature Paul F Tompkins moving forward.

He was a fantastic addition for their Force Awakens episode.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    listened to Totally Reprise episode 139, it's a long one that's mostly about bad home improvement projects, it's great
    "If I tell Zack what we're doing after we're done, can you bleep it out, Ashley?" "Yeah." "[BLEEP]" "Oh, Jesus!"
    "What a specific beef, from years ago, like, I'm mad that I know what you're talking about." fortunately I don't know what it is
    "Here's the thing: Power Rangers sucks shit!"
    "Oh, yeah, why would you want to talk about good things?"
    "and then he sent a skunk robot to Earth to make everyone too stinky to fuck each other." okay sounds like power rangers is gonna be getting pretty wild pretty soon
    "I think wrestling might be stupid." "You're just now getting there?"
    "You're gonna drive to your ivory tower high school with that classic car."
    "I think all dads eventually become deck werewolves."
    "When we moved into our house, it had 0 gazebos."
    "We called it a creek, I think everyone in that town called it a creek, it was a drainage ditch."
    "He did finish the pond with the waterfall, but he tends not to finish most projects."
    "I have a fuckin' dad, I know how this works."
    "So you have like 2.75 gazebos."
    I can't even picture what's going on in this yard at all
    "Well my dad is building three gazebos, clearly a monocle isn't out of order."
    "He really wanted to make it look like a TGI Friday's" excuse me
    "You gotta save it first, but then you can ruin it."
    wait this villain was actually in another episode?
    "The US government was just developing foot fetish AI."
    "Let's go back and listen to that Catwoman one, see how that Yanny and Laurel joke plays now."
    "Somebody just like, invented snakes, but they have legs now."
    "WOOHP has its own prison, huh?" extremely
    "Speaking of terrible things, is Alex of Asian descent?" "Nope!" "No." "No." "Okay, do you know why I'm asking that question?" "Yeah!" "Yep." totally spies really slipped some racism in there just out of fucking nowhere
    "I feel like they almost tricked themselves into believing that she's Chinese."
    "Yeah, these three spies get taken down by four Barbie dolls." well of course they're outnumbered, what can you do
    pretty sure I've only heard of Small Soldiers in the context of podcast episodes about tv show episodes where toys attack people
    very bothered by the whole seth toyman continuity situation
    "So Jerry made a robot servant that has feelings, and then made it do all of his work, is what happened." yeah that sounds like something he'd do
    "Sam's accessories are a gun and a man cowering in fear."
    "Boy, I don't like the term 'WOOHP chute.'"
    orange tictacs really are just candy
    "Can I go?" "No. We're smoking the whole pack."

Interesting Facts: Drainage ditches are usually put in places where creeks naturally form because that's where the water goes, that's why there's a creek there in the first place. Creeks are nature's drainage ditch, you could say. See also LA's giant concrete flood canals as seen in Terminator 2 and GTA San Andreas, AKA the Los Angeles River.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.