As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Whew! Through that one. Back down to... *counts* ...

4 in my backlog?

Anyways. Decided to start off by making him look as pretentious as possible. I don't know if I captured that or not.

0mJreCsh.jpg

crZz3Ash.jpg

But then I decided I needed to have him as armed as possible... so until my extra fin funnels get here, this is what we're going with.

UFCCsHph.jpg

m5Mqixqh.jpg

lidWIwmh.jpg

I think he turned out well.

qL1tjnBh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure he looks pretentious so much as he looks like he just finished a workout and is flexing. But it looks great.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Thanks! :)

Now I just need to decide what I'm gonna work on next.

Hi-Nu Ver. Ka MG
    Barbatos MG
    FAZZ Ver. Ka MG
    Perfect Strike PG

sWlwyBWl.jpg

I'm actually really torn on this. Having just completed a Nu I 'm not sure if I want to do another one immediately. Barbatos looks badass but fiddly? FAZZ is mostly a model I've already done, and Perfect Strike.. well, is my first ever Perfect Grade. So if I do that, I'm going to do a full gallery like I did with Gojulas.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    what's probably the more interesting build and display at this point, RG Nu (with or without effects parts) or Nu Ver.Ka MG?

EDIT: RG's an engineering master stroke for model kits, but on the other hand, the Ver.Ka MG has psychoframe bits.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Lanz wrote: »
    what's probably the more interesting build and display at this point, RG Nu (with or without effects parts) or Nu Ver.Ka MG?

I can't talk about the Nu Ver. Ka, but the RG Nu was simpler than the Unicorn (thanks to not having the small NT-D bits of the psychoframe). The legs are really cool, though the pistons like popping out of one of my knees and that worries me. I love the fin funnels, and there are a lot of little moving bits and vents and such (the popout backup beam saber is a favorite of mine, as seen above). Also a head crest that hates staying on. :)

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the Nu and the Hi-Nu are actually fairly different builds

20140829_404191.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
    Gah. Just looking at that Hi-nu brings up the other reason I'm hesitant: I fell in love with the box art thanks to the gradiant purple on the fin funnels... and I know the only way I'll be able to pull that off is to either apply the stickers/decals or become an absolute master at airbrushing. I'm so afraid of screwing it up, but I feel the model needs it to look its best.

On the plus side, the MG Hi Nu Ver Ka has better parts separation, slightly worse poseability, the psychoframe gimmick, and waterslides. On the downside, the fin funnels do not stay on well.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Hi-Nu Ver. Ka MG
    Barbatos MG
    FAZZ Ver. Ka MG
    Perfect Strike PG

sWlwyBWl.jpg

I'm actually really torn on this. Having just completed a Nu I 'm not sure if I want to do another one immediately. Barbatos looks badass but fiddly? FAZZ is mostly a model I've already done, and Perfect Strike.. well, is my first ever Perfect Grade. So if I do that, I'm going to do a full gallery like I did with Gojulas.
    Open all the boxes. Toss all the sprues in a pile on the floor. Throw away the instructions. Roll the die.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Hi-Nu Ver. Ka MG
    Barbatos MG
    FAZZ Ver. Ka MG
    Perfect Strike PG

sWlwyBWl.jpg

Open all the boxes. Toss all the sprues in a pile on the floor. Throw away the instructions. Roll the die.

I think I just had a tiny little panic attack at that thought.
    Thanks for that.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I wasn't particularly interested in Hathaway's Flash before because I really didn't like Hathaway's character in CCA, but that trailer was good.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    https://imgur.com/a/JbF3RoL

My haul from today
    I think I should be good for quite a bit of lockdown with this

Nice!

I think my friend/dealer said the Silver Bullet Suppressor has like multiple arms to replace a cannon that is one shot on them? It's such an awesome idea.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

Hi-Nu Ver. Ka MG
    Barbatos MG
    FAZZ Ver. Ka MG
    Perfect Strike PG

sWlwyBWl.jpg

I think I just had a tiny little panic attack at that thought.
    Thanks for that.
    Look, I'm trying to create the Dark Souls of Gunpla, you know?

For Ironman mode, if you assemble anything incorrectly the first time or take a piece off a sprue out-of-order, throw all the sprues in the fire.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Yeah the SB Suppressor has the Unicorn's Beam Magnum, but every time it fires it it blows out the elbow joint on the arm. So it's got a rack of 5 extra forearms on the back skirt.

edit: also the forearm rack and the subarm to switch them out is fully functional on the HG, so you can pose it mid switch.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    turtleant wrote: »
    Yeah the SB Suppressor has the Unicorn's Beam Magnum, but every time it fires it it blows out the elbow joint on the arm. So it's got a rack of 5 extra forearms on the back skirt.

edit: also the forearm rack and the subarm to switch them out is fully functional on the HG, so you can pose it mid switch.

What a stupid design
    Just give it a smaller gun!
    I love it

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

What a stupid design
    Just give it a smaller gun!
    I love it

Or make it a two-handed grip that spreads the recoil across both elbows?

It's a fun gimmick, though.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Also: should beam weapons even have recoil

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    every action has an equal and opposite reaction, in the case of realistic pure energy weapons that would likely be in the form of thermal energy rather than kinetic energy

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited March 2020
    In at least the Universal Century theiy are firing off plasma encased in a shell of minovsky particles to keep it from rapidly dissipating; so it’s a physical projectile, just one made up of a roiling hot bolt of plasma whose containing particle shell will shatter on impact.

So it’s feasible the Beam Magnum should have some kind of recoil from launching the contained bolt of plasma

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Similarly, beam sabers are basically a multi-story tall plasma torch with the plasma contained and shaped by a particle barrier that partially breaks on contact with anything other than another particle lattice.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The thing about the Beam Magnum is, it fires an entire Ecap of energy in a single shot. Thats what it spits out when it reloads in the show.

For reference, most normal beam rifles can fire 30-40 shots per Ecap, depending on where in the timeline you are (I believe the original Gundam's rifle only had around 16 shots, and replaceable Ecaps weren't a thing yet).

This means the Beam Magnum has firepower comparable to a mega particle cannon (like what the ZZ Gundam has mounted in its head) BUT unlike them it isn't linked up to and dependent on the suits reactor, and the plasma travels significantly faster, giving it a tighter, more penetrating beam. Beam Magnum shots are strong enough that suits without an I-field that are only NEAR the beam will be vaporized. And low power I-fields can be overwhelmed.

Put all that in a self contained, compact package with a nearly semi-auto fire rate and, well, it's bad news. To bad you need a suit made out of basically actual magic psychoframe to handle it long term. Also it is just, so expensive.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    every action has an equal and opposite reaction, in the case of realistic pure energy weapons that would likely be in the form of thermal energy rather than kinetic energy

Maybe the giant gun has a mechanism converting that heat energy into kinetic to avoid baking the pilot in the cockpit?

I mean while we're thinking about ridiculously improbable weapon systems.

8EVmPzM.jpg
    Thinking about it: a minovsky lattice will probably eventually break apart under the strain of containing the plasma for a certain length of time. Would this make beam rifle shots actually less of a dick move in space versus traditional rounds given that after the lattice breaks, the plasma will rapidly dissipate into vacuum rather than continuing on in a path until it hits something?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited March 2020
    The beam itself isn't contained by a lattice once it leaves the weapon; the lattice is used to compress and fuse the mega particles within the ship cannon or rifle e-cap

Since beam weapons generally seem to have a maximum range I assume they dissipate after a reasonable distance

Grey Ghost on
    RG Tallgeese done:
    https://imgur.com/a/1WrR9EO

May go back this weekend and line a bit more or do some stickers but I like it mostly as is

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Crow Update:

Finally warm enough to spray paint outside again. Put, what is hopefully, the last coats on the arm pieces so I can begin assembly of those tomorrow. Also began final assembly of the head and torso. Worked on the eye controls and need to take the eye/control rod out one final time to make some adjustments with a dremel to the bottom of the rod where the eye controls come out.

Once I am satisfied with that I can put it back in and give Crow some pupils!

I am slightly worried about how tight the head swivel is. It moves, but you kinda need to grip the bottom of the body a little. Not much I can do about that without disassembly

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Hrm. There's a PG version of 00 Raiser. Or, more specifically, 2 of them. The first had the ability to turn into a jet and apparently was very wobbly due to such, and the second just has a TON of weapons. but no jet mechanic. Hmm.

As I didn't get much in the way of feedback on the next model, I decided to do the hidden 5th member of my backlog that didn't appear on the poll!

Not only that, I got it done in one day AND applied all the stickers!

HbrcUOnh.jpg

VgEvsExh.jpg

YlZXiJzh.jpg

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    There's something really cathartic about those Pokemon ones, they come out pretty clean even without nippers so you get to just rip them off the runners like an animal.

The shop yesterday had the Deep Striker

One day....

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I almost ordered the 1/100 Barbatos Lupus Rex today.

Almost.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    MG or Full Mechanics?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Also, I built a new kit during this whole viral plague shit.

I'll give you one hint

Eliminate all obstacles.

Okay I'll give you two hints:
    "____ will show you who your true enemy is."

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    MG or Full Mechanics?

the only MG barbatos is the base version

but a master grade lupus rex is probably happening at some point, i would wait for that instead of getting the FM

anyway, finally finished this boy, just gotta make some guns and a shield

8oy7gzzm38dg.jpg

more thoughts tomorrow and then it's time to decide what part of my backlog to chip away at next

uc3ufTB.png
    MG or Full Mechanics?

the only MG barbatos is the base version

but a master grade lupus rex is probably happening at some point, i would wait for that instead of getting the FM

anyway, finally finished this boy, just gotta make some guns and a shield

8oy7gzzm38dg.jpg

more thoughts tomorrow and then it's time to decide what part of my backlog to chip away at next

Cold Climate type from 0080? Nice.

camo_sig2-400.png
    yep, and my first master grade! generally i prefer HGs but this is my favorite GM so i had to get one

uc3ufTB.png
    edited March 2020
    The Command Space type from that series (basically the same thing in the traditional red and white) is probably my favorite.
    41g0BLUG72L._AC_.jpg
    That or the GM Custom (the battleship grey one from 0083 with the multidirectional vernier thrusters sticking out from the shoulders).
    61h6HXpgSuL._AC_SY450_.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Hrm. There's a PG version of 00 Raiser. Or, more specifically, 2 of them. The first had the ability to turn into a jet and apparently was very wobbly due to such, and the second just has a TON of weapons. but no jet mechanic. Hmm.

There's the PG 00 Raiser which is the GN-0000 "00 Gundam" with the GNR-010 "00 Raiser", which is the ship that becomes the backpack and added power source. On the MG version, the kit is still pretty stable. And if you have some display room you can have the big ass sword or gun pointing forward to offset some of the backpack weight. It also, I think, has a stand to display the Raiser in a flight mode, or the combo.

Then there's the PG 00 Seven Sword, which I picked up on a Black Friday sale last year. It's the 00 Gundam with, unsurprisingly, seven swords. It also has a big ass gunblade. Two of the swords it counts are the beam sabers on the back skirt, so I really feel it's more of a 6 sword kit. It's still very good. Lots of articulation and details.