As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When you have to stay at home, it's time for [BAD FOOD]

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I decided instead of putting the second beyond burger into KD, I instead made a maple bacon cheeseburger with whatever ingredients I still have.

I'm going to be eating a lot more of these.
    2525V12.jpg

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Ooh, hamburger burrito; the greatest bad food of all!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    In my family, those are called turtle burgers. Some brief googling suggests that this is not a universal nomenclature.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Had to go out for groceries just now, and discovered that the local grocery store has set up a humongous meat smoker in the back, and that I could get a BLOCK OF BRISKET THE SIZE OF MY HEAD for around 2/3rds the price of having a hamburger delivered by Grubhub or whatever.

I also bought a bunch of mixed veggies and fresh fruit though, for vitamins. The per-customer limits on popular items mean I can't just get twenty frozen dinners like usual, so my isolation eating is noticeably more nutritious so far.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Had to go out for groceries just now, and discovered that the local grocery store has set up a humongous meat smoker in the back, and that I could get a BLOCK OF BRISKET THE SIZE OF MY HEAD for around 2/3rds the price of having a hamburger delivered by Grubhub or whatever.

I also bought a bunch of mixed veggies and fresh fruit though, for vitamins. The per-customer limits on popular items mean I can't just get twenty frozen dinners like usual, so my isolation eating is noticeably more nutritious so far.

silver linings!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    UberEats is doing buy one, get one free from a pretty wide variety of restaurants in my area (Los Angeles). No strings attached, just pick a participating restaurant, and then 2x of the items they're offering as part of the BOGO deal, and pay for a single item.

Just placed an order for 2x chicken tikka masala from a local Indian place, accompanied by an order of cheese naan.

Gonna eat good tonight.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    In my family, those are called turtle burgers. Some brief googling suggests that this is not a universal nomenclature.

I like your usage of turtle burgers far more than google's.,

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

I like your usage of turtle burgers far more than google's.,

Not so sure I agree there...

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    chrissy the entire point of getting famous and moving away from fuckin' Snohomish was so you don't have to eat like that anymore, jfc

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    she doesn't have to, she wants to.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    she doesn't have to, she wants to.

A big pile of fat and carbs is all you really want sometimes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    there's also tuna in there
    somewhere
    that's protein, right?

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    who wins in a fight

a big pile of fat and carbs

or

a big pile of fat and crabs

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    this one sounds pretty easy to sort out

get some pizza and a pile of lardy crabs and let them all go to town

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Easy, crabs are alive and have pinchy claw hands, how could they lose?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Easy, crabs are alive and have pinchy claw hands, how could they lose?

You ever seen a crab with indigestion?

Whoever wins, we lose.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    chrissy the entire point of getting famous and moving away from fuckin' Snohomish was so you don't have to eat like that anymore, jfc

You can take the girl out of Snohomish, but...

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Aww, let her have her comfort food. I've never been to Rochester but I really want to try a garbage plate.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I unironically love tuna noodle casserole

I haven't eaten it for a long time, because we're overfishing tuna to the point they'll all be gone Ina few years

I wonder if you could use another fish

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    who wins in a fight

or

Whoever wins we win.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    who wins in a fight

or

Whoever wins we win.

And we get a catchy song out of it too!

https://youtu.be/F3jFTzhdZF4

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    QUARANTINE (LOCKDOWN) MUNCHIES PART 4 - EGGS 🥚 | SAM THE COOKING GUY 4K (21 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G--J4puecs0

A few weeks ago, one of my librarians was taking orders for Blue and Gold sausage to raise funds for her kid's school. I ordered five pounds, because I support education and that's fine sausage.

She just texted me to let me know that delivery was probably going to be delayed until May, and asked if I wanted to cancel the order.

Right, like I'm magically going to transform into someone with no use for five pounds of sausage by May.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Went to local Safeway today, only things I saw completely out were TP (of course), some cleaning supplies, and rice. Meat department was about 3/4ths full, eggs low, plenty of milk, popular breads were low but still plenty of good choices, produce aisle full, canned goods about half full. If you bring your own grocery bags, part of the new virus protocol is you have to bag stuff yourself. They also had plastic barriers bolted onto the counters to protect cashiers, six foot marks on the floor (they would immediately stop what they were doing if they saw anyone encroach and tell them to back up). For the first time I actually saw people wearing masks (customers).

Eating Gas Station Food in Wisconsin for 24 hours ⛽🍽️ 🍕 & Sampling Cheese from Widmer's Cheese (30 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8jbTMYEQuA

hd844jow852l.png

Fuck it. Quarantine bacon.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited March 2020
    edit: oops sorry i thought i was making an edit, not new post

Peas on
    edited March 2020
    Nooooooooooo!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Kveshtons:

1. Can you brown beef in a frying pan (like chopped beef, or shaved beef steak) directly from the fridge, or am I supposed to let it sit a bit first? For some reason, my brain is fried and I cannot remember.

2. In googling the above question, I came across a site talking about slow cooking (which I am not doing) where it seems to say that refrigerating meat you've already browned is...bad/unsafe? What? I thought you could safely refrigerate cooked beef for up to 5 days or maybe a week?

Basically, I have a ~1 lb package of shaved beef steak. My intention is to brown it, and then season it, and then melt cheese on half of it to eat immediately, and then put the rest of it into the fridge for tomorrow. Tomorrow I would just microwave it to warm it up and melt more cheese.

Is that a bad thing to do?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you don't have to let it sit before cooking

I don't know what the hell they're talking about re: refrigerating browned meat, I've never heard that before

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Kveshtons:

1. Can you brown beef in a frying pan (like chopped beef, or shaved beef steak) directly from the fridge, or am I supposed to let it sit a bit first? For some reason, my brain is fried and I cannot remember.

2. In googling the above question, I came across a site talking about slow cooking (which I am not doing) where it seems to say that refrigerating meat you've already browned is...bad/unsafe? What? I thought you could safely refrigerate cooked beef for up to 5 days or maybe a week?

Basically, I have a ~1 lb package of shaved beef steak. My intention is to brown it, and then season it, and then melt cheese on half of it to eat immediately, and then put the rest of it into the fridge for tomorrow. Tomorrow I would just microwave it to warm it up and melt more cheese.

Should be totally fine. The "letting it sit outside before cooking" is mainly for large steak cuts like t-bone, new york strip etc where your plan is to get a nice sear and crust on the meat as part of the cook. Letting the meat come to room temperature both encourages that to happen and, more importantly, ensures the center of the cut of meat reaches proper safe temperature. For chipped/shaved beef however, it's all gravy. Those cuts are so small, they're going to cook and come to temperature anyway since you're basically sauteing for the purpose of effectively a stir-fry.

As for storing browned beef, it's no different than any cooked meat. Basically ensure it's stored in an air-tight container in a proper cooled fridge once the beef has cooled down from cooking and it should be good for a couple of days. The warning generally comes from beef that's not properly cooked and then not properly refrigerated after it's cooked leading to a potential buildup of bad bacteria from the meat. But again, for shaved/chipped/ground beef that's been cooked, shouldn't be a problem since it will be most likely thoroughly cooked when you stir-fry it in the pan. Just make sure you have a good container and you'll be set.

edited March 2020
    you don't have to let it sit before cooking

I don't know what the hell they're talking about re: refrigerating browned meat, I've never heard that before

Thanks!

Drez wrote: »
    Kveshtons:

Should be totally fine. The "letting it sit outside before cooking" is mainly for large steak cuts like t-bone, new york strip etc where your plan is to get a nice sear and crust on the meat as part of the cook. Letting the meat come to room temperature both encourages that to happen and, more importantly, ensures the center of the cut of meat reaches proper safe temperature. For chipped/shaved beef however, it's all gravy. Those cuts are so small, they're going to cook and come to temperature anyway since you're basically sauteing for the purpose of effectively a stir-fry.

As for storing browned beef, it's no different than any cooked meat. Basically ensure it's stored in an air-tight container in a proper cooled fridge once the beef has cooled down from cooking and it should be good for a couple of days. The warning generally comes from beef that's not properly cooked and then not properly refrigerated after it's cooked leading to a potential buildup of bad bacteria from the meat. But again, for shaved/chipped/ground beef that's been cooked, shouldn't be a problem since it will be most likely thoroughly cooked when you stir-fry it in the pan. Just make sure you have a good container and you'll be set.

Awesome, thanks! I didn’t actually know that was the reason to bring steak to room temperature first.

And I actually received my Amazon order containing 42 Tupperware containers yesterday so I’m all set on child containers.

Drez on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    You should keep cold food cold and hot food hot; below 40F or above 140F. If your food is going to be between 90-140 is should be discarded after one hour, if it's cold and thaws up to room temp I think it can go up to 2 hours but generally try to keep the time in the danger zone to a minimum. This is why the potato salad sitting out at the summer picnic can cause food poisoning so easily, a small condoner with minimal thermal mass sitting out in the sun can very quickly get to 90 degrees and spoil (harhar) your evening.

Uh, that is not supposed to say "child containers."

I don't know what that even means but I'm frightened that that showed up in my post somehow.

edited March 2020
    m!ttens wrote: »
    You should keep cold food cold and hot food hot; below 40F or above 140F. If your food is going to be between 90-140 is should be discarded after one hour, if it's cold and thaws up to room temp I think it can go up to 2 hours but generally try to keep the time in the danger zone to a minimum. This is why the potato salad sitting out at the summer picnic can cause food poisoning so easily, a small condoner with minimal thermal mass sitting out in the sun can very quickly get to 90 degrees and spoil (harhar) your evening.

But wouldn't that encompass all hot leftovers that you refrigerate for a later date? Are you saying that that's never safe, or am I misunderstanding you? What you just posted is essentially what I read on another website and was exactly what confused me.

Drez on
    I believe the idea is that if you're not going to keep it hot, you should chill it down ASAP, and then bring it back up to temp quickly when you want/need it - don't let it just sit around in-between longer than you have to, because that's where stuff can start to grow and leave toxins in it.

This discussion has been closed.