As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Yeah, but its in that weird quasi-3d cgi like the Dragon Prince... Honestly what is wrong with straight up regular 2d animation powered by cgi? Like you get the cost benefit while still having the 2d visuals that look nice. Instead you get weird golem like things that don't resemble real people but give you the uncanny valley hebi-jebies.

For a show that does it right watch Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts. I came over it recently and its pretty fun. Its set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity is hiding in underground vaults while the surface is taken over by sentient Mutant creatures. Like Timbercats; Half kittens, half lumberjacks. Or Hummingbombers, half hummingbirds, Half Crazy bomthrowing loons. What is not to like?

Netflix is completely obsessed with that cheapass style, probably for that exact reason. Low framerates, simple models with simple textures glued on. Dragon Prince manages to get past it in S2 and the base designs are good enough to make S1 tolerable, but I've seriously lost count of the Netflix original anime shows they've done in this style and they look uniformly horrible for it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Did Roku push out some update that unlocked surround sound on all their aps or something?

Everything is working with full surround sound and it's glorious out of no where and I didn't change anything.

Also, we now have Disney Plus due to the self isolation.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    That_Guy wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    It looks like the EU is asking Netflix to switch to SD streaming to lessen congestion on the internet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/tech/netflix-internet-overload-eu/index.html

I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense.

AND PEOPLE CALLED ME A DINOSAUR FOR CONTINUING TO PURCHASE PHYSICAL MEDIA, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

:Laughs at you in 16tb of network attached storage:

Only one drive? https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x16-st16000nm002g-16tb/p/N82E16822184808

But the real reason I came into the thread - I watched The Letter for the King last night and found it rather enjoyable as a Friday night escape. At 6 episodes, some of the subplots were a bit rushed, but overall B+ solid effort.

Nah. I've got 2x 2tb drives, a 4tb and an 8tb. I've got an extra 8tb (from an RMA goof) waiting to be installed when I need the space.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Yeah, but its in that weird quasi-3d cgi like the Dragon Prince... Honestly what is wrong with straight up regular 2d animation powered by cgi? Like you get the cost benefit while still having the 2d visuals that look nice. Instead you get weird golem like things that don't resemble real people but give you the uncanny valley hebi-jebies.

I felt like I was watching a Japanese dub of Borderlands.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Watched that Altered Carbon Resleeved anime, it's pretty damn good. The animation is really well done so it doesn't suffer from that normal rigid awkwardness that dragon prince and other 3d anime have, especially that last fight which felt like something straight out of the Yakuza series.
    I hope they make more, I want to see other Urien and James May's Yakuza adventures.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Finally watched The Witcher. It was good. It was definitely more of a "world-building" series than a "story-telling" series, so in that respect not my favorite-est, but still a good show.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have now watched all of the original episodes of Gilmore Girls and am 1/4 through the Netflix movies.

It’s weird, I dunno if I could honestly recommend the show to anyone, but I’ve just watched seven seasons of it so something’s going on. Possibly Stockholm Syndrome.

Paris remains the best.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It looks like the EU is asking Netflix to switch to SD streaming to lessen congestion on the internet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/tech/netflix-internet-overload-eu/index.html

I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense.

AND PEOPLE CALLED ME A DINOSAUR FOR CONTINUING TO PURCHASE PHYSICAL MEDIA, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

The asteroids.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Started watching another anime series, "A Certain Scientific Railgun" What does that even mean? Anyways, episode 3 is about a girl who can avoid being percieved by people and goes around tasing the girls from a certain school and
    drawing giant eyebrows on them.

11/10, would recommend
    eyebrow threading.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Finished my rewatch of The Wire. Still excellent. And the themes are still depressing as ever.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Started watching another anime series, "A Certain Scientific Railgun" What does that even mean? Anyways, episode 3 is about a girl who can avoid being percieved by people and goes around tasing the girls from a certain school and

11/10, would recommend
    eyebrow threading.

Is it good ?

I’ve got it bookmarked on my Funimation app, but haven’t started it yet.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I have now watched all of the original episodes of Gilmore Girls and am 1/4 through the Netflix movies.

It’s weird, I dunno if I could honestly recommend the show to anyone, but I’ve just watched seven seasons of it so something’s going on. Possibly Stockholm Syndrome.

Paris remains the best.

Paris is really the only character I like after rewatching the show a few times. Sookie and Michel, too, maybe.

Everyone else is a total jerk.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mortal Kombat is coming to Netflix in April.

https://youtu.be/EAwWPadFsOA

I haven't heard this song or seen this movie in decades but that song is still the thing I will tap out with my fingers when I'm bored :P

• Options

Paris remains the best.

It's a warm blanket of a TV show.

It occasionally makes very little sense when you step back and think about it.

And by occasionally I mean constantly.

But it's warm and heartfelt with entertaining dialogue so it's pretty easy to forgive most of the not making sense.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Paris remains the best.

But it's warm and heartfelt with entertaining dialogue so it's pretty easy to forgive most of the not making sense.

Doesn't make sense in what way?

Like, it's deliberately kind of surreal in it's depiction of twee small town new england. But it generally did a good job of grounding it's conflict in the character's clashing personalities and worldviews. Though like most shows, it threw more random bullshit around the longer it went on to generate drama.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Catching up with My Hero Academia the opening S3 arc was dumb and boring and lazy and man do I hate Deku so much for a shonen protagonist seriously dude you have to hog so much spotlight Lemillion is a million times better than you, but Gentle Criminal and La Brava have made up for how terrible Deku is.

Shonen protagonists are always the worst part of their own series, at least One Punch Man embraces it as just a character builder for the world and a reset for the the next story.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Paris remains the best.

Doesn't make sense in what way?

Like, it's deliberately kind of surreal in it's depiction of twee small town new england. But it generally did a good job of grounding it's conflict in the character's clashing personalities and worldviews. Though like most shows, it threw more random bullshit around the longer it went on to generate drama.

Well, because of the thing you said :P

But yeah I also agree with everything else you said as well.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Paris remains the best.

For me, and sort of to Bogart’s statement, the show was carried by it’s entertaining dialog that you mentioned. I don’t think I enjoyed anything about the plot lines, but most of the characters and their dialog was fun and witty and so that was enough for me to watch it.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This Tiger King show goes places at an incredibly rapid pace. Like I'm pretty sure I've given an exasperated "wait what is what now?" every 2-3 minutes.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    DanHibiki wrote: »

This movie is second only to Tron: Legacy for best soundtrack.

Mortal Kombat was one of the first CD's I bought as a kid. I remember they played this on the local radio station, it was that popular.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

11/10, would recommend
    eyebrow threading.

Is it good ?

Only 3 or 4 in, so far it's amusing. Usual anime shenanigans.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Season 1 of Sinner was pretty damn great. I loved how they slowly showed you the events of the night by having her slowly regain her memories. I didn't see the end coming right away, though I guessed it right before the final reveal. I'm excited for Season 2 next.

I also finally decided to go back to The Expanse for the newest Season. I'm glad I waited to read 1-2 more books since I was able to know who Marco Inaros was. It's weird the way they're mashing books together, but it all seems to make sense in the general plotline of the show (obv not the books). I know there's a separate thread specifically for this show, so I'll stop there.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

11/10, would recommend
    eyebrow threading.

Is it good ?

Just a note that show has a sister show "A Certain Magical Index" and you were intended to alternate between them, with characters crossing from one to the other on the regular.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

11/10, would recommend
    eyebrow threading.

Is it good ?

Just a note that show has a sister show "A Certain Magical Index" and you were intended to alternate between them, with characters crossing from one to the other on the regular.

Cool, I’ve watched the first ep of Index, that’s on the list, too.

I may have a lot of spare time to fill up, soon...

• Options
    edited March 2020
    This Tiger King show goes places at an incredibly rapid pace. Like I'm pretty sure I've given an exasperated "wait what is what now?" every 2-3 minutes.

Yeah I'm halfway through episode one and it's just like... how is this a thing that happened. Like, any of it.

*Edit*
    Just finished episode two and I'm now almost convinced this is an elaborate ruse and Sacha Baron Cohen is going to pop up at the end of the last episode because, just, what

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Viking wrote: »

11/10, would recommend
    eyebrow threading.

Is it good ?

Watched another episode last night, this show is definitely a winner.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

Yeah I'm halfway through episode one and it's just like... how is this a thing that happened. Like, any of it.

*Edit*
    Just finished episode two and I'm now almost convinced this is an elaborate ruse and Sacha Baron Cohen is going to pop up at the end of the last episode because, just, what

You have seen approximately 14% of the crazy contained within the show. Just wait.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    On Fall now, the last Year In The Life episode. The Life and Death Brigade scene may be the single most irritating sequence of images and sound I’ve ever seen. Just full on Madeleine Kahn flames on the side of my face while I was watching. Unbearable.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I don't know what problem Amy Sherman Palladino has with millennials, but it's super evident in the writing in the revival.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Cause I saw a tiger
    Now I understand

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So in the Tiger King documentary they claim Don Lewis couldn't have flown his private plane to Costa Rica. I'm trying to figure out why exactly that would be and what kind of plane he even had. Could he have not refueled somewhere along the way, such as by stopping in Jamaica? It's about 700 miles from Florida to Jamaica, and then another 700 or so miles from Jamaica to Costa Rica. Was his plane not even able to make it to Jamaica?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I've been watching Dave not realizing that the guy playing Lil Dicky is actually Lil Dicky. My mind was blown by that information before watching the most recent episode. Then (most recent episode spoilers)
    they focus on GaTa and his journey and when he comes clean to Dave about his Bipolar and how he fits in with them and he's crying and now I'm tearing up. And I look up to see if thats all real and GaTa is actually 100% himself in the show too and its true he has bipolar and now I'm crying

This show is great.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I started watching Tiger King, and it's a ton of fun!

This story and Joe Exotic are very near and dear to my heart. I live in Oklahoma, and Joe is the main reason that I have my awesome dog. My old college roommate dropped out of school at OU when we were living together at the end of 2012, and he was majoring in Film and Video Studies. He was in need of work and Joe was hiring crewmembers for his reality TV show, sooo he wound up living in one of those fantastic trailers you see in Tiger King for several months. He couldn't look after his dog since he was living 45 minutes away and had to stay overnight to get footage, so I adopted the dog and he's the best dog ever. My friend/old roommate has long since moved on and abandoned that trainwreck, but he's in several shot in the documentary which has been fun! He's the short guy with the very thick black beard and is the focus of a couple of the scenes where they're showing the production crew work.

But, I can confirm they are not exaggerating how insane Joe is in the least. He's 100% a scumbag terrible person who believed himself to be the god of his own world.

I'm not sure if they actually show this in the documentary, but I wanted to link it as it's one of my favorite parts of the story, and shows how super dumb Joe is.

Word of warning -- not safe for work, or your sanity. It is Joe's presidential campaign video from 2016, which is for some reason just him ranting intense personal details about himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc-_7RCFArM

The hilarious part is that this was well before Joe's murder for hire plot -- this is his public campaign video from 2016. Notice anything extra weird? At 33 seconds in he says:
    "I am broke as shit. I have a judgement against me from some bitch down there in Florida...."

Who do you think this lovely woman in Florida is that he randomly starts ranting about in his presidential campaign video? The mind is left to wonder.....

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Twitter rando

I mean this is basically the show summed up

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Re: Tiger King

"..monkey people are weird, but big cat people are backstabbing pieces of shit"

I felt like that quote from the show summed it up pretty well

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

I haven't heard this song or seen this movie in decades but that song is still the thing I will tap out with my fingers when I'm bored :P

Man, the first Mortal Kombat - that's like the 90s crystallized.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

An early edition of the script is one of my prized possessions. My dad's cousins husband was Scott bakulas best friend and they wanted him for some role, can't remember which. I still question some of the changes.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

An early edition of the script is one of my prized possessions. My dad's cousins husband was Scott bakulas best friend and they wanted him for some role, can't remember which. I still question some of the changes.

Sounds like you've got an article to pitch to Buzzfeed or Vice.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've always had a soft spot for the Bourne movies. With that, I decided to check out Treadstone. Overall it was a possible action series. Not as good as The Bourne Identity but not as bad at Jason Bourne. The show's biggest failure was not using a single Moby track. I didn't expect them to go out and hire Moby to lay down a brand new track just for the show but at least license Extreme Ways. Moby isn't exactly expensive either. His songs show up in TV shows all the time. They clearly had it in their budget. The first episode even ends with a tune that is meant to invoke Extreme Ways without actually getting the fucking song. I know it's a weird thing to get hung up on but it's a perfect microcosm of the show's shortcomings. It's not a bad show it just doesn't quite live up to its potential. That and some of the characters are dumb as hell.

Anyway, 7/10.

This discussion has been closed.