As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the point of the police being nominally involved is not that they actually are going to be doing much enforcing of it but that they 1) have discretion to do so if necessary to prevent absurd abuses 2) make it look serious enough so that everybody else cooperates

the details of making it a proper criminal matter are obviously incredibly stupid

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    What happens when everybody drives to the same nice bit to wander around in?

I appreciate that ambling around a suburb isn't exactly gripping exercise, but everybody from Ilkley to Bingley driving up to the Cow and Calf, to take a local example, makes social isolation pointless

Basically what happened here stateside. Locally we had the first bout of nice weather since forever over the weekend, so all the parks and trails were jam packed with people doing their "essential exercise."

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tim Martin, Phillip Green and Mike Ashley are engaged in a furious struggle to see who can be the biggest piece of shit employer. It's neck a neck so far but they're all doing absolutely heroic work.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Ireland's turn to go into full lockdown, though it's less dramatic than the UK. All non essential businesses are to close. No unnecessary travel at home or abroad. No outdoor gatherings of four or more unless it's families. There'll be an increase in Gardai numbers to ensure social distancing is being adhered to. Here's the video from RTE News, Ireland's public broadcast news service.

Honestly pretty much everything non essential had already closed and people had already cut travel way down, so a lot of this is just formalizing stuff for those were flouting the rules or easing off on it all after a week.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Are there different restrictions in place for Northern Ireland and the Republic now?

• Options
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Are there different restrictions in place for Northern Ireland and the Republic now?

Yes I think so, and after barely having any for the first week Northern Ireland's restrictions are now stricter than the Republic I think. Here's the full list of restrictions from the Managing Director of RTE News.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Matt Hancock, the UK Health Secretary, is giving the daily briefing.

Calling for 250k volunteers to help with NHS support (food & supplies delivery, etc.)

Approx 35k extra staff between final year students and retirees returning.

Absolutely throwing bodies at this to try and get on top of it.

Something about new extra wards as well? I missed that point.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    They're converting the Excel arena in London into a temporary hospital, with help from the military.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »

They're repurposing the ExCeL centre in London into a temporary hospital with 4000 beds.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

They're repurposing the ExCeL centre in London into a temporary hospital with 4000 beds.

It's being called NHS Nightingale, I expect we'll hear a lot about it in the future.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I was reminiscing today about the time when Brexit was the horrible thing everyone was talking about all the time. Those were the days.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    WW3 being averted and Brexit feel so long ago.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    What the fuck is a... "Brexit"?

Never heard of it.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Heard a news story about farmers desperately looking for people to help with harvesting next month, as the seasonal workers won't be able to enter the country because of the lockdown.

So they're getting their reality pill a year early, I guess.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    WW3 being averted and Brexit feel so long ago.

In our defense, January was at least a decade ago.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Government worker in the uk.

The 60 year old clerk on our team who hands us our post, files, etc rang in earlier, with a full checklist of Corona symptoms. 2 hours later, the mid-20s guy next to her rang in, not well.

People on our floor are freaking out, management still haven't decided if we are essential workers. We have 2 people who have presumably been infectious for 2 weeks, in a large windowless room with circulated air.

I told my manager I'm off for the next 2 weeks, because no- one here can make a fucking decision, and I'm not waiting to be sent home at some intangible point in the future.

Update.

After I went hom, I got a text from work.

The office is being sent home for 3 weeks.

A skeleton staff remains, about 6 in all, and will rotate on a weekly basis, to deal with emergencies.

I don’t know if this is just our office, as we’ve had people ring in sick with symptoms, is our entire organisation, or the whole Home Office.

Boris might address it tomorrow in his daily briefing, I’ll wait and see.

I stocked the freezer on the way home, so I am stocked up on pizza and snacks.

It’s scary to compare what we’re doing in the uk with Trumps announcement today that he wants people back in work for Easter.

Crazy times.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    GaryO wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    The more I think about it the weaker this "lockdown seems".

There's quite a broad spectrum of shops that can still open and I've already seen several companies insisting they're essential such as WH Smith's.

A large proportion of my town will still be open tomorrow.

I can sort of see the government's plan, gradually increase the severity of the lockdown so that each step can be assessed.

Some Wh Smiths are also home to post office branches, so they are kinda essential.
    I've been having a similar discussion with friends and family - for anything longer than 2 weeks, there's a lot more places that might turn out to be "essential" than you think.

As an example, hospitals and doctors - including your local GP - are going to need printer ink, pens, paper, computer keyboards, mice etc. Almost all hospitals will have supply contracts set up, but a lot of local medical centres will be on the "pop down to the local WH Smith/Argos" supply strategy. Heck, things like chairs, beds, and trashcans break and need replacing too, so you can probably add general department stores too.

Basically for anything longer than a month, anything that falls into "do doctors, grocery stores, and delivery companies use these things on a daily basis" will turn out to be "essential".

It's far more then even that. On a long-enough timeline, most of the economy becomes "essential".
    eg - What happens if someone's stove breaks or their water heater or what not? Well, they need to be able to buy a new one. And if that happens enough, people need to be building new ones so you don't use up all the stock. And so on.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Yeah, TIL (an hour or two ago) that the UK has no emergency broadcast system. The government has repeatedly ignored its own findings that said they needed one. Obviously.
    I have actually kept the one EBS test message that I managed to pick up whilst in Europe last year (oh how long ago that feels right now). :confused:
    Perhaps it's kind of a sad statement to make, but I'm holding on to it like a souvenir of briefly experiencing life under an actually competent government. :rotate:

Whereas the Tories right now seem more like:

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Just remembered to cancel my upcoming journey to Manchester

Transpennine look to be waiving the admin fee for cancelling advance tickets, which is probably the best experience I've had with their trains

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    My trip to Manchester (also by train) early last month for a Delain gig feels so, so long ago now. It feels like it was one of the last vestiges of a vaguely sane world.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Matt Hancock, the UK Health Secretary, is giving the daily briefing.

Calling for 250k volunteers to help with NHS support (food & supplies delivery, etc.)

Approx 35k extra staff between final year students and retirees returning.

Absolutely throwing bodies at this to try and get on top of it.

John Crace (in the Grauniad) had a nice take on this

Who knew that after ten years of cuts the NHS would struggle to cope with a pandemic

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    From the Guardian blog.
    The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus and is displaying mild symptoms “but otherwise remains in good health”, Clarence House has said.

Reports that he keeps phoning the Queen to arrange a quick meet up and a long hug are unconfirmed.

• Options
    Really?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Why has he been tested if he only has mild symptoms, when most people can't get one until they have to be hospitalised

How many tests are being used up on mildly ill rich and famous people

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Why has he been tested if he only has mild symptoms, when most people can't get one until they have to be hospitalised

How many tests are being used up on mildly ill rich and famous people

As many as the ruling class need?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I mean yes he's rich and famous but he's also constitutionally important (if not actually necessary to handle the current crisis) and probably has regular contact with government people. So testing him isn't solely a matter of privilege as a result of money (though obviously the hereditary nature of his position is a matter of egregious privilege).

Having a succession crisis right now because Charles and/or the Queen got ill would be a problem in a way that, say, Danny Dyer or Harry Kane or some other rich and famous person getting ill wouldn't.

• Options
    That said it's incredible that the government is still unable to corral resources enough to test NHS staff and they should be the priority, obviously.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I mean yes he's rich and famous but he's also constitutionally important (if not actually necessary to handle the current crisis) and probably has regular contact with government people. So testing him isn't solely a matter of privilege as a result of money (though obviously the hereditary nature of his position is a matter of egregious privilege).

Having a succession crisis right now because Charles and/or the Queen got ill would be a problem in a way that, say, Danny Dyer or Harry Kane or some other rich and famous person getting ill wouldn't.

While you're absolutely right, because that's the way the rules are (not) written down. If the UK actually got to the point of "Oh no! No more royal family" It could solve this in about 1 hour by:
    1) appointing some random other person as King
    2) becoming a republic.
    3) just pretending that the Queen never died, and just use "the office of the Crown" or some stand-in.

This potential crisis is super easy solved.
    Now I realize that actually solving things is not really Boris'ses "thing"....

• Options
    Actually since Danny Dyer is a descendant of royalty from way back when maybe he should be squirrelled away somewhere in case enough of the royal line cark it and we can have our first cockney King.

• Options
    I'm also descended from royalty way back when, can I have a go at being King? I will give all the stolen jewels back and donate Buckingham palace to Shelter, and bring back the Saxon style hall with a big fuckoff fire in the middle to use instead.

• Options
    Dibbit wrote: »
    3) just pretending that the Queen never died

I, for one, would be wholly in favour of us Weekend at Bernie's-ing our way through such a period of national grief.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is anyone really worried about a succession crisis? I mean there are quite a lot of royals, it's kind of built for this.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Is anyone really worried about a succession crisis? I mean there are quite a lot of royals, it's kind of built for this.

I would imagine a couple of tests struck them as a reasonable price to pay for not having to worry about it once they were able to pack them off into self-isolation.

• Options
    Sorry hang on you're telling me that the virus that doesn't recognize the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland and that led to the cancellation of all Orange marches has now infected Prince Charles?

If this keeps up we're going to start calling this the coronupthera virus.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I, for one, would be wholly in favour of us Weekend at Bernie's-ing our way through such a period of national grief.

Or King Ralphing it

• Options

Or King Ralphing it

Someone get John Goodman on the phone.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    In a shocking twist of multiple COVID-19 cases, the next heir to the throne becomes Meghan Markle

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Or King Ralphing it

Just appoint a governor and give then an Ouija board. Or whatever Mackenzie King used to consult his dog's ghost.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

Or King Ralphing it

Just appoint a governor and give then an Ouija board. Or whatever Mackenzie King used to consult his dog's ghost.

Those dog's gave good advice too.

• Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    It was his crystal ball... and it was more like he missed his mother so he called her ghost, but either way, the guy was Prime Minister for 22 years. The advice had to be good.

This discussion has been closed.