As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a Sakuga [Anime] Thread

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

The Gundam movie "Narrative" was up on the Gundam Info channel for a weekend and then they delisted it. I'm really curious what happened there, did it get licensed for release in that time or was their plan to do only a weekend all along? If the latter, I wish I had known to watch it right away. : (

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they put up and take down series and movies constantly on that channel on purpose I think, trying to cycle things in and out to promote buying the blu-rays or whatever

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I think I watched the first season Iron Blooded Orphans in their entirety on their channel.

FAKEEDIT: Ah, it's just the 2nd season now, but there's no Japanese dialog/English subtitle option any more?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    You know I haven't watched much of the Gundams outside of Seed, a little bit of 00 and some other one I forgot.

But I know quite a bit about the characters and general plot just from playing Super Robot Wars.

I kind of wish they'd remake the original because I think Amuro is cool but the animation itself is a bit dated.

Dragkonias on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I haven't watched much of the Gundams outside of Seed, a little bit of 00 and some other one I forgot.

But I know quite a bit about the characters and general plot just from playing Super Robot Wars.

I kind of wish they'd remake the original because I think Amuro is cool but the animation itself is a bit dated.

The Origin is a sort of remake, though it shifts the POV character from Amuro to Char.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The Origin is a prequel. Closest to a remake was Seed.

steam_sig.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I mostly read and dont post but I found out they are going to animate the last arc of Bleach and what?

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

the compilation movie trilogy holds up just fine imo

the first movie is pretty much all cut from the anime but the second movie has new footage and by the time you get to the third movie it's like 70% re-animated

uc3ufTB.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Konosuba movie is up on Crunchyroll.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My only issue with the movie route is that it slims it down a little too much.

I didn't really attach to the characters the same way I might a full season of a show, but the older series is far too meandering for me.

I feel the reverse about Macross 7. I'd have a far easier time recommending it (it's a great series) if it didn't drag it's feet the first twenty episodes or so.

But cutting it into movies wouldn't give you enough time.

Kelor on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I watched like, 12 episodes of Chihayafuru season 2 yesterday.

steam_sig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I mostly read and dont post but I found out they are going to animate the last arc of Bleach and what?

Yeah. General reception is...mixed.

Personally I feel like anime fans got off better cause everything after where it ends sucked.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    There's some good parts to the Thousand Year Blood War! There's just also a lot of bad parts, and it's way too long, and also despite it all being so drawn out he still managed to make the ending feel rushed.

I guess an anime could tidy things up a bit and make it flow better, but I don't know if that's something they'd actually do.

I hope that Kubo learned from this and Burn the Witch doesn't introduce two dozen new characters every arc. That feels like it was a big issue - the Captains stuck around as secondary characters, so you needed to have enough Arrancar for each of them to have a proper fight, so once you get to TYBW there's literally an entire alphabet of villains...

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bofuri stealth announced season 2 at the end of this episode .

So yay.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    There's some good parts to the Thousand Year Blood War! There's just also a lot of bad parts, and it's way too long, and also despite it all being so drawn out he still managed to make the ending feel rushed.

I guess an anime could tidy things up a bit and make it flow better, but I don't know if that's something they'd actually do.

I hope that Kubo learned from this and Burn the Witch doesn't introduce two dozen new characters every arc. That feels like it was a big issue - the Captains stuck around as secondary characters, so you needed to have enough Arrancar for each of them to have a proper fight, so once you get to TYBW there's literally an entire alphabet of villains...

IIRC Burn the Witch is supposed to be a short-term serialization, so it shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

it felt rushed because it was rushed

kubos biggest flaw (aside from pacing issues) is that his big bads require deus ex machinas to kill

ywach and aizen literally beat everybody at once, which why the fuck even have the sternritter or espada???

theres no stakes because the stakes are so absurdly high that you already know how it will conclude

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Aizen at least had a somewhat believable defeat in that his own desire made him vulnerable. His subsequent return he was much more self certain and stable.

Ywacha though, I don't even know how he lost. Immune to everything, on the level of a god, able to pierce all defenses, and he gets done in by hypnosis?

• notyanotya Registered User regular
    new gundam trailer looks like exactly what i want from gundam. More adults.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I like Burn the Witch, apart from it not being clear that
    her arm was just broken instead of ripped off. But that may also be something else's fault for me thinking that.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bofuri stealth announced season 2 at the end of this episode .

So yay.

It wouldn't be half as amusing if Maple wasn't so oblivious to it all. Bring on more happy bullshit!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The Konosuba movie was good. I missed the gang and their troubles.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Insert weekly Bofuri appreciation post here.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Insert weekly Bofuri appreciation post here.
    I was wondering when Chekhov’s Kaiju would show up

It occurred to me today finally that the Funimation dub delays were Corona related and therefore unlikely to change soon. Duh. So I guess I'm switching languages deep into some of these shows...

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I thought Bofuri was good overall but I think it trailed off a bit from the quality of the early episodes as it went on, which were really catching me off guard with the gags and making me laugh out loud a lot. It became a more predictable as it went on.

They sure did like that montage song.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    bofuri went from a solid 8 to a soft 7 over it's run yea. it's a hard gimmick to maintain. i still enjoyed it plenty though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    bofuri is basically a wholesome shonen

which I am cool with

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    bofuri is basically a wholesome shonen

which I am cool with

Yeah, i like it for being a very light fluffy show with a good, funny gimmick. Which honestly never wore out it's welcome for me. It was STILL funny in this last episode. Esp because how utterly kind-hearted Maple is.

It's just... not a show that needs, or wants to be any more complex than it is, i think? It's light, it's fluffy, it's friends having fun, there's no gross fanservice or anything - It's just FUN.

Which is exactly what i want (and need) right now

Like seriously, there's a ton to be said for a show that knows it's light dumb fluff, and doesnt try and be anything more than a happy, joyful experience. So many shows just.. OH NO HERE IS THE DEEP DARK SECRET THREATNING THE UNIVERSE.

Again.

It's nice to have things that are not that.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @notya what's the new gundam trailer? hathway's flash?

• notyanotya Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Yeah that one! at the top of the page

notya on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Bofuri's was a reminder that it's main shtick of people going WTF? to Maple really only works when she catches them by surprise and has them going no seriously WTF?! Good strong finish especially since the last couple episodes were a bit weak.

steam_sig.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    New World Online has terrible game balancing. And devs, you can't create so many unique assets that only one player gets to see! Are you crazy!? That's so much production time going to waste!

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Presumably Infinite Dendrogram was produced by the devs deemed too incompetent to work on New World Online. Pretty much every piece of content we end up seeing is unique and unrepeatable, every character class is completely unique and the balancing is ???????

(Also it's a bad show, but anyway)

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I think my favorite part of the Bofuri finale
    was that the devs carefully crafted 5 day event... was basically completely blown up by top guilds metagaming the system to not have to fight anyone after day 2.

Felt exactly like the kind of thing that happens in jank MMOs and community multiplayer games all the time.

Edit: Also, on Payne
    I'm not here to kinkshame, but he seemed a bit too excited to get eaten by that DemonMonsterMaple.

It's ok buddy, you live your dream.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I also love that Bofuri has a gender ambiguous character

I wish more MMOs let you look like that...

notya wrote: »

Yeah that one! at the top of the page

Gotta admit, i'm hoping it differes from the novel, which sounds bleak and depressing! Though this is very on point for gundam, so we'll see!

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Presumably Infinite Dendrogram was produced by the devs deemed too incompetent to work on New World Online. Pretty much every piece of content we end up seeing is unique and unrepeatable, every character class is completely unique and the balancing is ???????

(Also it's a bad show, but anyway)

That's not actually how it works:

There are dozens of classes anyone can use. At the Pinnacle of certain classes there are unlock requirements for superior jobs that aren't listed. Basically something to do with taking one part of it to an extreme. Paladin has several, as do the other classes.

UBM are created by an AI. They are unique but there are thousands of them popping up all the time. It's really the kind of system a good dev would kill for. They show the UBM console and AI in one of the episodes.

The balance is better than Bofuri. At least you see dozens of superiors instead of just one person being broken. And everyone has a counter. Hell the only really stupid character in dendo is Kirito-- I mean Shu. Who they basically pull out only to have an intentionally kind of dumb Kirito moment on occasion. Bonus points for Shu being extra dumb for basically being the Bofuri joke played straight as he's just a max strength character.

Not much to say on if you think the show is bad. It's a good adaptation that had to condense a bit, but I guess the source material isn't for everyone.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    TVアニメ「くまクマ熊ベアー」第1弾PV 0:56
    https://youtu.be/yCt-m4fhynM

Kuma kuma kuma bear

Peas on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I have no idea what that show is gonna be about, but it does have cute bears

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Oh I love Yurikuma Arashi

7h8wnycre6vs.png
This discussion has been closed.