As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    They really should make ammo weigh nothing, especially missiles and mini nukes.

Was very weird ingame to be presented with a hidden mini nuke and the first thing I do is to just throw the goddamn thing away.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, you actually shouldn't pick up every foodstuff you can find. That shit gets heavy. Stims and radaways and so on are heavy enough.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Also, you actually shouldn't pick up every foodstuff you can find. That shit gets heavy. Stims and radaways and so on are heavy enough.

I always take the perks that make food and chems weigh like 90% less. Just easier and I never have to decided how many of what chems to carry around and stuff.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Also, make sure you get rid of spoiled food, it can add a lot of weight

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Finally doing that evil Fallout 4 Children of Atom playthrough.

Only took me a million years, glad I waited though. Sim Settlement Conqueror is going to help me turn the commonwealth into one big crazy nuclear family.
    Zavian wrote: »
    Also, make sure you get rid of spoiled food, it can add a lot of weight
    Don't forget you can turn it into fertilizer though and get abit of XP out of it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Did anyone ever make a really good all in one fallout 4 mod? I know some like horizon but it seems to change a whole lot, and I have heard good things about Unbogus Fallout Overhaul but it doesn’t seem as comprehensive.

edited March 2020
    Its already been five years since Fallout 4 launched.

God, I'm gonna be an old man by the time 5 will get here. Hopefully Starfield is amazing.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited March 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

God, I'm gonna be an old man by the time 5 will get here. Hopefully Starfield is amazing.

If wastelanders is half way decent that would probably lift fallout 76 up to fallout 5 status...

I already enjoy it a lot, the multiplayer stuff is pretty much blatantly extraneous (the main effect it has on me right now is every once in a while I have to move my camp a bit because someone is in my spot.) but it holds up quite well as a single player 3d fallout game from a gameplay and exploration perspective, it just needs a bit more plot.

Jealous Deva on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Also, remember with you stash...there's a lot of junk that's just junk...just because you CAN pick it up, doesn't mean you need to pick it up.

Sorry but that's not how I play Fallout.

If it's something that can be picked up, it belongs in my pants. Pockets. Pants pockets.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I might do another Fallout 4 play through when the new consoles arrive.

Assuming it gets patched, it’ll look amazing in 4K, 60 FPS, HDR, etc,

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Will it though? I mean with all the extra mods to add stuff the engine doesn't do by default I am sure it can look great. But seeing the same drab color scheme in HD doesn't sound very appealing to me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited March 2020

If wastelanders is half way decent that would probably lift fallout 76 up to fallout 5 status...

I already enjoy it a lot, the multiplayer stuff is pretty much blatantly extraneous (the main effect it has on me right now is every once in a while I have to move my camp a bit because someone is in my spot.) but it holds up quite well as a single player 3d fallout game from a gameplay and exploration perspective, it just needs a bit more plot.
    I get the feeling that it won't have enough content for that. Maybe in a year or two if they keep pumping out Wastelanders style content.

Wastelanders might just be about ten hours with abit of faction grinding, more of a new MSQ than a massive overhaul of the world. I don't think that'll be able to satisfy a lot of people but we'll see how it turns out. I've tried to avoid a lot of gameplay videos about it to avoid spoiling it for myself.

Dr. Chaos on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Will it though? I mean with all the extra mods to add stuff the engine doesn't do by default I am sure it can look great. But seeing the same drab color scheme in HD doesn't sound very appealing to me.

HDR alone adds a surprising boost to visual quality. Lighting and colours become so much more vivid.

When I got my 4K tv, I was surprised to find it was the hdr that made games look so good, even more than the to 4K that some games got.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I get the feeling that it won't have enough content for that. Maybe in a year or two if they keep pumping out Wastelanders style content.

Wastelanders might just be about ten hours with abit of faction grinding, more of a new MSQ than a massive overhaul of the world. I don't think that'll be able to satisfy a lot of people but we'll see how it turns out. I've tried to avoid a lot of gameplay videos about it to avoid spoiling it for myself.

Everything they've been saying is that Wastelanders is pretty damn big, but advertising is all lies, so who knows?

edited March 2020

Everything they've been saying is that Wastelanders is pretty damn big, but advertising is all lies, so who knows?

I’d love a nice 20+ hour main quest which is what I’m expecting. I’m not expecting new lands or enemies or the like other than humans. I am pretty happy with fallout 76 as is, so I’m not expecting an overhaul, just some actual guys other than robots and zombies to interact with.

Jealous Deva on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Wastelanders is delayed for a week. Phooey.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited March 2020
    I just resubscribed. Expensive, but I figured why not?

Drez on
    edited March 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons I'm moving to the PC version.

I need that damn extra storage (I'm not too proud, I'll pay for that shit and enable them) but I'm not going to let Sony gouge me too every month on top of it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

FO76 has the best story out of any of the FO games. It actually felt dark, hopeless, and tragic. It tells a great story that weaves a bunch of disparate groups together, all of whom failed to face the threats a radioactive wasteland threw at them. It has the most sweeping, interconnected narrative of all the FO games, and by far does the best job of painting an actual world. The characters and stories are amazing, and it was a pretty incredible feat to pull of without having any conversation breaks with talking heads. The way the story unfolds as you uncover what happened to the different parts of West VA society as you move across the map is again, amazing.

It was a refreshing departure from the tired FO formula of you being the special chosen one who has amnesia, ventures through the wasteland with reskinned copies of the same factions to find out that somehow all the parts of your life you don't remember make you the most important man in the wasteland.

All things considered it's my favorite FO. So fight me.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

FO76 has the best story out of any of the FO games. It actually felt dark, hopeless, and tragic. It tells a great story that weaves a bunch of disparate groups together, all of whom failed to face the threats a radioactive wasteland threw at them. It has the most sweeping, interconnected narrative of all the FO games, and by far does the best job of painting an actual world. The characters and stories are amazing, and it was a pretty incredible feat to pull of without having any conversation breaks with talking heads. The way the story unfolds as you uncover what happened to the different parts of West VA society as you move across the map is again, amazing.

It was a refreshing departure from the tired FO formula of you being the special chosen one who has amnesia, ventures through the wasteland with reskinned copies of the same factions to find out that somehow all the parts of your life you don't remember make you the most important man in the wasteland.

Yeah. It also has the best map design, easier to navigate while still feeling organic to the setting.

The game’s biggest problem is that the archeological feel of the game combined with the lack of human NPCs and the general nature of being an MMO made the game feel static after awhile. That and I have come to hate Bethesda’s encumbrance systems.

I had a great time with it as is and am back Day 1 for the update.

The archeological feel is one reason why I like Fallout so much, though. I like all of those stories they write.

The archeological feel is one reason why I like Fallout so much, though. I like all of those stories they write.

Exactly. Uncovering bits and pieces of the story always felt good. It gave me that "one more building, one more landmark" type motivation.

While others wandered to fill their stash with junk, I wandered to filled my soul with lore.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The stories suffered all the time from "....and then you find their corpse." because that was the only possible ending.

Otherwise, yeah, they did OK to great story-wise in places.

I feel like it would be a great story in parallel to a more active story, like honest hearts. It’s all great content and lore and I enjoyed it. Its just a bit like a really great appetizer tray without a main course.

Anyone know of a mod for 4 that removes needing to link settlements to share junk between the same workshops?

edited March 2020

I need that damn extra storage (I'm not too proud, I'll pay for that shit and enable them) but I'm not going to let Sony gouge me too every month on top of it.

Wait, I was joking. What do you mean, @Dr. Chaos?

Oh wait I guess you need a PS Plus subscription to play? I kinda have been taking it for granted that most people are on PC, but that I guess isn't necessarily true.

edit: OK, I didn't know about Fallout 1st until now. Is that what you mean? That on top of PS Plus, I assume?

Drez on
    edited March 2020

Wait, I was joking. What do you mean, @Dr. Chaos?

Oh wait I guess you need a PS Plus subscription to play? I kinda have been taking it for granted that most people are on PC, but that I guess isn't necessarily true.

edit: OK, I didn't know about Fallout 1st until now. Is that what you mean? That on top of PS Plus, I assume?
    Correct.

I had been playing Fallout 76 on PS4 since performance wasn't very good on the PC version for me but I'm upgrading my desktop soon so that won't be a problem.

Dr. Chaos on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Anyone know of a mod for 4 that removes needing to link settlements to share junk between the same workshops?

If you’re on PC, create a text file called mats.txt (or whatever you feel like naming it) with the following in it:
    player.additem 1bf72e 200
    player.additem 6907a 200
    player.additem aec5c 200
    player.additem aec5e 200
    player.additem 6907b 200
    player.additem aec5f 200
    player.additem 6907c 200
    player.additem aec60 200
    player.additem 6907d 200
    player.additem 69087 200
    player.additem aec61 200
    player.additem 6907e 200
    player.additem 69085 200
    player.additem aec62 200
    player.additem aec64 200
    player.additem 69086 200
    player.additem 1bf732 200
    player.additem 6907f 200
    player.additem 106d98 200
    player.additem 69081 200
    player.additem aec66 200
    player.additem 69082 200
    player.additem 731a4 200
    player.additem 731a3 200

In-game, stand next to your workshop, open the console, and type
    bat mats

(replace mats with the name of your text file if you named it something different)

Voila, you now have 200 of each crafting material in your inventory. Repeat as necessary. You can also change the quantity given in the text file to however much you want.

Edit: oops, I somehow totally missed that you were on PS4.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

So, in other words, it's Bethesda leaning into the kind of storytelling that Bethesda has done best since at least Morrowind (I haven't played any of the games before that, so can't judge): scattered around in in-world books and pamphlets and notes?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And little dioramas, yes.

Their main quests continue to be ass, but that's like saying "Bethesda's games are buggy on release"; it's expected, practically part of the brand.

FO76's main quest wasm't that bad, but that's because it was almost literally "we will go around the whole map, eventually"

Syngyne wrote: »

If you’re on PC, create a text file called mats.txt (or whatever you feel like naming it) with the following in it:
    player.additem 1bf72e 200
    player.additem 6907a 200
    player.additem aec5c 200
    player.additem aec5e 200
    player.additem 6907b 200
    player.additem aec5f 200
    player.additem 6907c 200
    player.additem aec60 200
    player.additem 6907d 200
    player.additem 69087 200
    player.additem aec61 200
    player.additem 6907e 200
    player.additem 69085 200
    player.additem aec62 200
    player.additem aec64 200
    player.additem 69086 200
    player.additem 1bf732 200
    player.additem 6907f 200
    player.additem 106d98 200
    player.additem 69081 200
    player.additem aec66 200
    player.additem 69082 200
    player.additem 731a4 200
    player.additem 731a3 200

In-game, stand next to your workshop, open the console, and type
    bat mats

(replace mats with the name of your text file if you named it something different)

Voila, you now have 200 of each crafting material in your inventory. Repeat as necessary. You can also change the quantity given in the text file to however much you want.

Edit: oops, I somehow totally missed that you were on PS4.
    I'm on PS4 with Fallout 76. I still play on PC for Fallout 4.

This is helpful, thank you.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Bethesda is now letting owners of Fallout 76 link their Steam account to their Bethesda.net account and get a free Steam key for the game if they link accounts by April 13th. Your Atom balance won’t transfer across accounts, but the actual items you’ve unlocked will.

5gsowHm.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Are there going to be human enemies in the wastelanders update? I wanna kill some bandits

Yes. You can kill some humans.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Are there going to be human enemies in the wastelanders update? I wanna kill some bandits
    There’s three factions, two you can join (settlers and raiders) along with a third faction of raiders that are always hostile

edited April 2020
    Zavian wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    There’s three factions, two you can join (settlers and raiders) along with a third faction of raiders that are always hostile
    Don't forget the Cult of Moth Man.

FINALLY. A goddamn cult in this universe I can get behind. Moth Man is in fact real and awesome.

Been using the Beast Master mod and I have some observations:

Whale Dogs, game calls them Mutant Hounds, are SUPER lazy. The very second you stop moving, they'll just plant their ass on the ground and cozy up. They grow on you though. I resented them for being just generic mutant dogs that weren't centaurs at first but they're sort of charming in a dopey sort of way. Hard not to get attached to one when its carrying 300 lbs for you and giving an epic whale battle cry when combat starts.

Mole Rats in Fallout 4 are awesome. Great redesign.....only problem is they never shut up. Do not take these in settlements where you try to have conversations with NPCs.

Really wanted a feral ghoul since I'm a child of Atom but well, I use a mod that replaces the hideous ghouls in 4 with the cooler ones from 3/NV and Beast Master can't seem to handle it. Only thing that spawns out of the cages every time is a frenzied ghoul with rabies that can't be tamed. Shame.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    Bethesda is now letting owners of Fallout 76 link their Steam account to their Bethesda.net account and get a free Steam key for the game if they link accounts by April 13th. Your Atom balance won’t transfer across accounts, but the actual items you’ve unlocked will.

I've read a bit about this but am still unsure what this actually means. So both access the same account? Are they technically separate and can play the game at the same time? If its the same account I don't do enough with Steam to know why I'd worry about the game being available there when I already have it.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    They should put Benny in Fallout 76. I like Benny. I want to side with Benny. In every Fallout game ever.

Dr. Face wrote: »

I've read a bit about this but am still unsure what this actually means. So both access the same account? Are they technically separate and can play the game at the same time? If its the same account I don't do enough with Steam to know why I'd worry about the game being available there when I already have it.

I think the only thing that carries over is Atomic Shop purchases, so you’d have to start a new character. It’s more so you can play with Steam friends I think