As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP AND TEAR ETERNALLY

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ok so then when does he get the ones for the other two?

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    At the Fortress of Doom before he leaves on a trip to kill the next one? Or perhaps you're right, it's just a teleconference.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Aren’t they
    The same discs the ghosts give you to upgrade the suit?

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I'm only playing like late at night, I'm usually done about 30 minutes before bed SO RELAXING and I finished level 4 last night and the part at the very end, when I realized what the were doing to me, I just audibly said "Oh fuck you." And just edge of my seat. I had 2 health at one point! But I fucking did it and damn did it feel good.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i really hate platforming is FPS and this doesn't change my opinion. I just wanna run and shoot, don't even let me jump yo

game's still real good tho.

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Ok so then when does he get the ones for the other two?
    He gets one from killing the Gladiator and immediately uses it for the last priest, iirc. Don't know about the other one

• MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    I'm on the 3rd stage I believe. Is there a music track that equals (or surpasses) BFG Division from 2016 later in Eternal?

Eternal spoilers:
    I just heard BFG Division in the Fortress of Doom's 'prison' and I miss it so...

XBL: Jason Marek
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    lord the cute shit doomguy does with the toys in 2016 is fucking adorable

Magic Pink on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Re priest questions I will put behind spoilers
    It is expressly stated in the codex and in game that the priests cannot be killed unless their guardian is killed. The Doom Hunter or hunters drop the second coin I believe while the third is definitely dropped by the guardian. The priest class must be bound by a guardian to protect them and cannot be harmed while the guardian lives. At first I too thought they were remote conferencing but as you collect codex entries it makes sense.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Re priest questions I will put behind spoilers
    It is expressly stated in the codex and in game that the priests cannot be killed unless their guardian is killed. The Doom Hunter or hunters drop the second coin I believe while the third is definitely dropped by the guardian. The priest class must be bound by a guardian to protect them and cannot be harmed while the guardian lives. At first I too thought they were remote conferencing but as you collect codex entries it makes sense.

Ok that makes sense

But none of that is explained by the time you see that cutscene at the end of the first level, so my argument is that the first impression of the Doom Slayer in this game seems far more passive than he should be, even if it’s explained in the story. It’s a misstep in presentation from an otherwise almost perfect game

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Finished the game

Spoilers
    So kinda came full circle and we still don't know doomguys story, i wonder if that will be explained in the next game

Also that seen with the father who was the betrayer, looking back at it now feels pretty jarring to have. Like his son was the icon but a weird way to add weight to that

Dixon on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Finished the game

Spoilers
    So kinda came full circle and we still don't know doomguys story, i wonder if that will be explained in the next game

Also that seen with the father who was the betrayer, looking back at it now feels pretty jarring to have

We... do though?
    He's the same doom guy from back in Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 64 - his staying behind in hell at the end of 64 lead to him ending up on the night sentienl world, which in turn lead to them meeting demons and the Khan Makyr getting antsy. the Samur Makyr decided to stick a shotgun in the Khan's plans by infusing the Doomguy with argent energy somehow, turnign him into the Doom Slayer we all know and dread/love now. The priests eventually pulled off the betrayal, trapping the Slayer and other sentinels in hell - leading to the Slayer getting trapped, as he was found in '16

Also, gearing up to a start a new Ultra Violence play-through!

Gonna aim to stream the entirety of it, starting fresh.

Come and watch and keep me company during this terrible time of plauge!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Fuck the
    marauder seriously

Took me like an hour to beat him

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just swept a Battlemode match as Doomguy, a feat I would have believed impossible

Felt pretty good

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Finished the game

Spoilers

Also that seen with the father who was the betrayer, looking back at it now feels pretty jarring to have

We... do though?
    He's the same doom guy from back in Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 64 - his staying behind in hell at the end of 64 lead to him ending up on the night sentienl world, which in turn lead to them meeting demons and the Khan Makyr getting antsy. the Samur Makyr decided to stick a shotgun in the Khan's plans by infusing the Doomguy with argent energy somehow, turnign him into the Doom Slayer we all know and dread/love now. The priests eventually pulled off the betrayal, trapping the Slayer and other sentinels in hell - leading to the Slayer getting trapped, as he was found in '16

re: the slayer's history
    the only thing that doesn't quite make sense is the Earth timeline during all of this, as it is heavily implied that the slayer's journey from his arrival in Sentinel to the beginning of Doom 2016 takes like...eons, from his perspective

I think that's brushed aside pretty easily, though. alternate dimensions, or whatever. I don't think it matters all that much, it's as consistent as it needs to be.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Shorty wrote: »
    Finished the game

Spoilers

We... do though?

the only thing that doesn't quite make sense is the Earth timeline during all of this, as it is heavily implied that the slayer's journey from his arrival in Sentinel to the beginning of Doom 2016 takes like...eons, from his perspective

I think that's brushed aside pretty easily, though. alternate dimensions, or whatever. I don't think it matters all that much, it's as consistent as it needs to be.

I think it’s either
    a parallel dimension, or in hell time stops or is messed up so the doom guy is from our world but spent millions of years in hell or something. I’m going to lean on a parallel dimension that’s similar to ours. Or maybe some sort of universal time loop

But yeah it’s not exactly a neat and tidy explanation, but it still works and is a super fun lore

Prohass on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I stayed up too late beating this and now I have to try to go to bed with my heart rate elevated

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Finished the game

Spoilers

We... do though?

I think it’s either
    a parallel dimension, or in hell time stops or is messed up so the doom guy is from our world but spent millions of years in hell or something. I’m going to lean on a parallel dimension that’s similar to ours. Or maybe some sort of universal time loop

But yeah it’s not exactly a neat and tidy explanation, but it still works and is a super fun lore

https://youtu.be/RFm9ClqlGuo

Oh brilliant
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Fuck the
    marauder seriously

It took me four or five tries. Thing is, it's incredibly hard to get down, but once you do it gets much easier. At this point I just cull everything else and save them for last.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Fuck the
    marauder seriously

It took me four or five tries. Thing is, it's incredibly hard to get down, but once you do it gets much easier. At this point I just cull everything else and save them for last.

The rocket launcher air burst mod right behind their back will get it done as well. Takes several shots but they will drop eventually.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Now archviles

Fuck those guys

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Marauders are the only enemy I find unpleasant, mostly because they don't follow the rest of the enemy design and combat loop at all.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Now archviles

Fuck those guys

That's what the sword is for!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Now archviles

Fuck those guys

That's what the sword is for!

I save my BFG and sword ammo explicitly for them.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Marauders the came much easier to me once I realized that the trick to fighting them was to find open space and just walk backwards while facing them.

Outside of having to take care of their dogs and sidestep an occasional blast, they will dash at you and fall short continuously and then they are just easy to blast with the shotgun or arbalest twice.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm not certain I have ever fully completed a Doom game.

Hmm...

Assuming I want to play through them in order, how long is the previous Doom game (before this one)?

Also, how big/long is Doom 3? I assume it's in the 10-15 hour range like most FPSes?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that you could shoot the first marauder more than one time per weird flash because he staggers being hit. That's when I finally got him. Took like an hour off tries last night.

It didn't help having to deal with imps and stuff too in the tight space. trying to get ammo or health meant losing track of the marauder and dying anyway.

I'm only on hurt me plenty too. Ps4 though.

edited March 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm not certain I have ever fully completed a Doom game.

Hmm...

Assuming I want to play through them in order, how long is the previous Doom game (before this one)?

Also, how big/long is Doom 3? I assume it's in the 10-15 hour range like most FPSes?

Doom 3 is its own separate thing that doesn't have much to do with the current games in story, tone, or gameplay.

Doom 2016 is around 13 hours.

Quid on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Marauders are definitely the worst.
    Every time they pop up I end up just running in a circle, chainsawing dudes to get my health and ammo back up, super shottie a couple times, back to the circle.

Other than that basically everything in the game is perfect.
    I was real glad the end boss wasn't anything gimmicky or specific like Khan Marky, just "Shoot all the bits and keep shooting till there's no more bits"

There's definitely some implied lore shenanigans with Seraphim, the Father, and Samuel Hayden - in the credits, Seraphim / the Hooded Figure who gives you the power is voiced by the same guy as Samuel Hayden. I liked that they left it all still vague and uncertain.

Also: was pleasantly surprised that the game didn't end with Hayden betraying you again, figured that whole bit with loading him into the citadel and pulling Vega out was setting it up for that.

I was disappointed that the cinematics weren't completely first person, none of them really felt like they couldn't have been done in first person so it was an odd choice to change that.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Fiiiiinally finished
    Loved the game as a whole but didn't care for the last boss personally. Felt like no matter how much I was moving and dashing I was getting hit by random attacks and comets from the sky. That and the sheer amount of damage necessary started to get tedious.

But god damn was it satisfying when I *did* beat him.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have reached a part where the difficulty is frustrating me a bit.

I've learned that if you die enough the game will let you load with a buff.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I've learned that if you die enough the game will let you load with a buff.

I ALLLLLLMOST HAD IT

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Marauders are my least favorite enemy to fight because you have to be at a very specific range to do so consistently and their stupid dogs suck very much

But once I learned the super shotgun-to-ballista quick switch, it made them a lot simpler to deal with on their own

Not sure how anyone beats them on ultraviolence or higher though. Feels like there’s a bit too much randomness and unpredictability about them to do anything like a one-life run on those difficulties

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Marauders are my least favorite enemy to fight because you have to be at a very specific range to do so consistently and their stupid dogs suck very much

But once I learned the super shotgun-to-ballista quick switch, it made them a lot simpler to deal with on their own

Not sure how anyone beats them on ultraviolence or higher though. Feels like there’s a bit too much randomness and unpredictability about them to do anything like a one-life run on those difficulties

I just did a run through of a master level on Ultraviolence that had one

The answer was mostly "I had a lot of one-ups"

Got it!

Keep everything about marauders but make the shield vulnerable to plasma weapons like all the others. Add in that they themselves are resistant to plasma. That way they're still a challenge but now you have at least three options for approaching them.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I just realized there are a lot of implications about the fact that marauder shields is in doom eternal

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Finally beat this! It is definitely my GOTY, holy fuckballs is it amazing. And hard too! The last few levels had some arenas that really kicked my butt

JtgVX0H.png
    it's definitely gonna be on my end of year list unless there's some sleeper masterpiece coming out