As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Weapon mastery challenges come up after you spend all your weapon tokens to upgrade a specific mod. There’s only a few that I considered skipping, most are pretty easy to get and happen through gameplay

Also the super gore nest is a bit less than halfway I think. It’s a decently long game, I think it’s level 5 and there are 13 levels

Also also you can slow mo meat hook around a marauders shield and shotgun him into a stagger, which is super badass when you pull it off. Not very consistent as occasionally his shield warps to protect him, but still cool

Prohass on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm fine with the challenges, it's just saying you can skip them by using a yellow token thing, and I haven't seen any sign of them so I'm wondering where they are.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited March 2020
    I can’t remember exactly but they’re basically pick ups in secret areas on some maps later in the game. I think there’s maybe 5 in total available?

Prohass on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    They start showing up in Taras Nabad, about 2/3rds of the way through the game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fine with the challenges, it's just saying you can skip them by using a yellow token thing, and I haven't seen any sign of them so I'm wondering where they are.

You'll see the tokens in 2-3 levels - they're a late game thing to help you out with late unlocks. I ended up with more tokens than i had masterys left to unlock, just from playing the game.

Also, oh man. Master levels, highly recommended.

Cultist Base has every single type of super heavy on it as a master level. it is INTENSE. and fucking grand - the only secrets left are Max armor/hp orbs and extra lifes, so it's just you, your guns, and ten miles of demons to chew through.

Cleaned it out without a single checkpoint reload on Ultra violence, tho i lost every single one of my extra lives. Feeling pretty proud!

Also gave me a new appreciation for the arblest mode - if you can land the headshots, that thing is vicious. Think i prefer the blade overall, but the Arblest def has a place. (Can i just mention it is so, so nice not having Super shotty/remote ded/siege mode take over everything?)

...also did you know you can literally decapitate a tyrant with the Destroyer blade? i didn't and it was great seeing one's head go flying from across the room.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    edited March 2020
    You also don’t need to do every secret encounter or find every sentinel battery in order to unlock everything. Which is handy because there’s a particular secret encounter involving a marauder which is 100% bullshit and took me like 30 goes

Also I may have just spent like 10 minutes examining the CyberDemon model when I got the toy. The detail and homage to the original design is just spectacular. Kid me was obsessed with the cyberdemon design I used to draw it all the time, so it was just such a delight see it make a return like this

Prohass on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Cross posted from the SE Doom thread:

Who is playing this on Xbox?

In particular, the Xbox one S (not the X)

How does it hold up performance wise?

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So buttmad, just had a life stolen from me, straight up stolen. I was walking along the edge of a very narrow passage in the stage where you fight the first boss, and then I heard a noise behind me. Suddenly life gone and I respawn to see a Caco had spawned directly behind me and one-shotted me.

Oh, also there's a thought I had. They have how the chainsaw should use fuel backwards. Your first pip should be the one that always refills not the last. I never use it on big enemies because I'm always using up all my fuel on small enemies. You should be able to pick up enough fuel to fill the meter and as long as you don't use more than one pip to kill small enemies for ammo, you'd always refill to three. If you kill something that requires two then the second pip would refill and the third would be empty until you pick up another canister. And if you kill a big enemy that takes up all three, then you only get one back. THIS is a simple change that would make me use the chainsaw 100% more often.

Another thing, I just found out that the friends list is completely non-functional on the Bethesda launcher version of the game. This means you are incapable of getting the bonus points from adding friends. Steam version works fine, pulls from your Steam friends. Another reason I wish my CE came with a Steam key instead of a Bethesda one.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Cross posted from the SE Doom thread:

Who is playing this on Xbox?

In particular, the Xbox one S (not the X)

How does it hold up performance wise?

I can't say anything about the Xbox port but I can say this game runs damn smooth on a base ps4 so I wouldn't be surprised if the XBox version also ran well.

Digital Foundry did a video on it, the One S has a few slight frame drops, but it's mostly damn close to constant 60fps, enough to call it locked 95% of the time.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Todays The Yetee daily shirt is... inspired:

a-doom_640x640.png

https://theyetee.com/products/doomgal

Cross-posted with the Animal Crossing thread.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I haven't beaten Eternal yet, but I think I'm almost done.

I'm at the "point of no return".

Is it just me, or are there a startling lack of berserk orbs this time around? I think I've come across... one, so far.

RT800 on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I think I only got 2, but I got the cheat code for it, and I've already finished the slayer gates, so ill prob blow through the game again with that.

What sucks, is before that mission of no return, I did all my upgrades then quit. Went to play the next day and hopped into the mission but I guess it didn't save any of the upgrades I did. There was no way to exit the mission to get back to ship.

Dixon on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Is it just me, or are there a startling lack of berserk orbs this time around? I think I've come across... one, so far.

I feel like 2016 was trying to help players too much with an overabundance of orbs and BFG ammo, and Eternal dials it way back so that they work far more like useful tools at crucial times than simple "win" buttons. There are a couple 2016 fights where there are multiple BFG fillups and multiple orbs, whereas Eternal might have something like one orb and a couple BFG ammo pickups in an entire map (and the maps seem to be quite a bit bigger than 2016 as well).

I rather like the change myself, since it means an orb pickup is rare and a lot more fun instead of being in every other fight.

I found one power up right at the end of a fight, and I don't know what it did. Onslaught? I think I killed one Imp a bit faster with it, but it might have already caught some bullets as I was running around, so I can't be sure. My face sure was reflected at me, though.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I found one power up right at the end of a fight, and I don't know what it did. Onslaught? I think I killed one Imp a bit faster with it, but it might have already caught some bullets as I was running around, so I can't be sure. My face sure was reflected at me, though.

It's Quad Damage, just renamed.

Yeah the quad damage is fun with super shotty. Just melt folks.

The yellow one is just speed right? Wasn’t a big deal for me, I use the speed from glory kills rune.

I used the time slow tune for a bit but I changed to further glory kills, quicker glory kills and speed after glory kills. I was just a death machine after that.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Digital Foundry did a video on it, the One S has a few slight frame drops, but it's mostly damn close to constant 60fps, enough to call it locked 95% of the time.

Can I just say on this note how insane the performance of this game is? I was talking with a friend about it today and it really hit me. Exact same hardware as 2016 right? But with way more enemies on screen at once, way bigger and more open environments, way bigger maps, and dare I say better looking textures as well. It is like they had to delay the game so a wizard could finish casting the spell powerful enough to make all that work. And, for me at least, I may have seen one or two small hiccups or frame rate drops out of my entire playthrough on a base model PS4. Just fucking insane.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah the quad damage is fun with super shotty. Just melt folks.

The yellow one is just speed right? Wasn’t a big deal for me, I use the speed from glory kills rune.

I used the time slow tune for a bit but I changed to further glory kills, quicker glory kills and speed after glory kills. I was just a death machine after that.

The new yellow orb replaces Haste from the last game, and it is fucking rad because it juices up your speed, fire rate, and gives you infinite ammo for the duration. If you're using the minigun in mobile turret mode, it's like you're the world's most badass cheetah who also stole the cannon from an A-10 Warthog.

It's easy to miss the infinite ammo part, though, since all it does is take all the ammo indicators and turn them into infinity symbols; unless you're holding down on the fire button with the minigun for like ten straight seconds, you might not even notice that you can't run out of ammo for the moment.

edited March 2020
    Ah shit yeah I totally missed the infinite ammo aspect.

Would that still count for BFG I wonder.

Also end game spoilers
    The fight with mayker was so incredibly easy. The term cakewalk fits it perfectly, like it was pulled from A non-doom fps Game

Dixon on
    Ah shit yeah I totally missed the infinite ammo aspect.

Would that still count for BFG I wonder.

Also end game spoilers
    The fight with mayker was so incredibly easy. The term cakewalk fits it perfectly, like it was pulled from A non-doom fps Game

It was not so easy on ultra violence. I don't know if the damaging area did more damage or if it was the drones but I had to try several times.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I've been going back through all the previous levels with invulnerability and infinite ammo on to find all the secrets I missed before I finally jump into the last mission.

Kinda worried that just blowing through everything with infinite BFG ammo on God Mode is gonna spoil me too much when it's time to get back to the real game.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gearing up to a start a new Ultra Violence play-through!

Gonna aim to stream the entirety of it, starting fresh.

Come and watch and keep me company during this terrible time of plauge!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    If you haven't set the UI colour scheme to Demonic you are missing out. It's not just pink the stat bars have rainbow gradients and such that actually make them more readable. Its neon hotline miami scheme.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I suppose my tendency to not notice orbs until all the demons were dead in 16 will have trained me well for this, then.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Jeedan wrote: »
    If you haven't set the UI colour scheme to Demonic you are missing out. It's not just pink the stat bars have rainbow gradients and such that actually make them more readable. Its neon hotline miami scheme.

Yoooooo

OJhoL13.jpg?1

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    And done. On hurt me plenty.

8/10 (this includes a full point deduction for the marauder because fuck that guy)

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Oh man (endgame/unlocks spoiler)
    Getting all 14 cheat disks unlocks the original DOOM on the old PC! Which means preording DOOM Eternal got me DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 64, and DOOM Eternal.

That's a lot of DOOM.

FYI
    The full .WADS of doom 1 and doom 2 are in the files for Eternal.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Oh man (endgame/unlocks spoiler)
    Getting all 14 cheat disks unlocks the original DOOM on the old PC! Which means preording DOOM Eternal got me DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 64, and DOOM Eternal.

That's a lot of DOOM.

FYI
    The full .WADS of doom 1 and doom 2 are in the files for Eternal.

Matter of fact
    You can place custom wad files into the game folder and play them.

Mostly successfully. Supposedly certain things like the 100,000 Revenants wad will straight up crash Doom Eternal.

Which means that
    we've now come so far that DOOM can play itself.

I guess if we're dealing with a Skynet situation, Doomguy isn't such a bad outcome.

Is this a known glitch?
    I'm not mission 6 I think (ARC complex, going to find Robot Man). I've done the main objectives, found the Slayer Gate, but there's no key.
    There's a purple area that clearly should have a key, and checking video guides confirms this, but it's not there. I certainly didn't get it accidentally, as the door still won't let me in.

(This is campaign mode, so I'm not replaying with cheats on or anything that I know would lock out the Gates)

I tried reloading a checkpoint, no joy. I'd rather not play through this whole thing again.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is this a known glitch?
    I'm not mission 6 I think (ARC complex, going to find Robot Man). I've done the main objectives, found the Slayer Gate, but there's no key.
    There's a purple area that clearly should have a key, and checking video guides confirms this, but it's not there. I certainly didn't get it accidentally, as the door still won't let me in.

(This is campaign mode, so I'm not replaying with cheats on or anything that I know would lock out the Gates)

I tried reloading a checkpoint, no joy. I'd rather not play through this whole thing again.
    Happened to me and I had to just replay the mission. Note that if you just want the Empyrean key, you can bail out of the mission after getting it, but if you want to get "corruption cleansed" mission credit, you have ot beat the level again.

Okay, I did some digging and it is a known glitch; if you replay any missions with cheat activated, the game treats it as if you have them activated when you go back to the campaign, and removes the Slayer Gate Keys, even though it doesn't give you the actual cheat effect.

To fix it you have to go to mission select and deactivate any cheats you have active anywhere.

So I guess I'm doing the mission again.

So I can confirm that any "regular" enemy that shows up as a boss (i.e., gets a life bar) definitely is much more durable than their "normal" counterpart. I'm replaying through on Nightmare and the "boss" Destroyers are something like 2.5-3 times more durable than the normal versions; the same amount of damage that would break their cart and just about kill them normally doesn't even kill their cart on the boss versions.

There is a real, real convincing theory going around on Reddit about Samuel Hayden, Father, and the Doom Slayer. This is absolutely end of game stuff though so don't go looking unless you want to know.
    During DOOM 2016 when Samual Hayden gives you something (can't remember exactly when) he says Take this, it will help you, give you strength. In eternal when you walk into the room we the Divine machine you see a flashback where the Makyr Samur (Samual is so close to this) tells you the exact same thing, word for word. They are also voiced by the same person. So the theory is that Samur used advance tech to convince humans he was human, possibly living amongst us for millennia. Then when we had reached sufficient tech he once again became partially mechanical. It would also explain why Vega says Am I... Father? When placed into the portal ring machine on Urdak. He is the one who stole father from the Makyr and I guess wiped his memory or something.

Who knew one of the best parts of DOOM would be the lore?

furlion wrote: »
    There is a real, real convincing theory going around on Reddit about Samuel Hayden, Father, and the Doom Slayer. This is absolutely end of game stuff though so don't go looking unless you want to know.
    During DOOM 2016 when Samual Hayden gives you something (can't remember exactly when) he says Take this, it will help you, give you strength. In eternal when you walk into the room we the Divine machine you see a flashback where the Makyr Samur (Samual is so close to this) tells you the exact same thing, word for word. They are also voiced by the same person. So the theory is that Samur used advance tech to convince humans he was human, possibly living amongst us for millennia. Then when we had reached sufficient tech he once again became partially mechanical. It would also explain why Vega says Am I... Father? When placed into the portal ring machine on Urdak. He is the one who stole father from the Makyr and I guess wiped his memory or something.

Yeah
    I’m surprised this is just a theory, the game basically hits you over the head with it. I just assumed that was the story. Especially when Vega says the line “am I the father?”

Samuel knows way too much and all the lines he drops giving you history of everything it’s obvious he’s been to the mayker world.

Still it doesn’t really tell me who the doom marine is unless like people were saying there are time travelling shenanigans

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Look who I found!
    tag2bm82beoy.jpeg

A follow up to that, I found something out of place on my playthrough and just remembered I'd snapped a screenshot of it!
    41yzvkfs4ccb.jpg[/doom]

Definitely got a 'wait...what?' as I'm running around shotgunning demons in the face.

Speaking of which, I know the 2v1 multiplayer is the main things for this, but there was talk of people (friends? Random folks?) being able to join someone's campaign playthrough as a demon and try to take them down. Did that get abandoned entirely for the asymmetrical MP mode, or is that still present?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeah
    I’m surprised this is just a theory, the game basically hits you over the head with it. I just assumed that was the story. Especially when Vega says the line “am I the father?”

Samuel knows way too much and all the lines he drops giving you history of everything it’s obvious he’s been to the mayker world.

Still it doesn’t really tell me who the doom marine is unless like people were saying there are time travelling shenanigans

I would be so fucking down for a dlc or even entire game that goes into that period. The betrayal by the priests, the time spent in hell just murdering 24/7, his eventual capture. Hell even playing as him during his training.

edited March 2020

Yeah, I had suspicions up until
    Vega asks if he is Father, but it seemed a rhetorical question to me. Hayden seems far more knowledgeable than somebody who just read things off some tablets, and he was able to take the scattered scraps of humanity and turn them into an effective (though losing) fighting force against Hell. His machine body is also built to be inhumanly large, like he's trying to return himself to a prior form.

Him taking the Crucible in the first game is also a move Samur would pull. He saw the Crucible as a way to kinda change the rules of the universe, much like he took Doomguy and turned him into a weapon to upend the status quo. Except Hell hit harder than he expected, so he uses Doomguy as his fallback plan.

Gotta wonder if there's gonna be some time-travel involved, though. Father is mentioned as predating the Makyrs and gifting them a bunch of knowledge and abilities, so I could see that maybe he's sent back to the beginning of time and is the setup for getting Doomguy and Hayden in place.

Something I'm also wondering about after playing through the game again
    is that there seem to be two kinds of giant mechs scattered around the various battlefields, and only one of the types is also in hell. From what I can tell, the smaller more robot-looking ones are built by humans, but the bigass titan-killers are actually Sentinel machines. Which is why they're done up in armor styled like the Doomslayer, and run off Sentinel batteries. Plus, the Traitor has what looks like a fully-functional giant robot in his lair, minus the artillery piece (which he presumably took off and installed in the lair for defenses).

So I'm wondering if the wrecked robot in the base is part of how Doomguy got the fortress in the first place. If he was stuck in Hell after Hayden sent him there, then Doomguy shouldn't have any trouble using one of the Sentinel mechs to get out.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    re hayden:
    samuel hayden
    s. hayden

satan

its not subtle

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samael for further obviousness

satan destroys humans with knowledge...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png