As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I was supposed to leave my [job] at noon

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The library closure has been extended through April 15. I think I'm going to have to start wearing pants for a little while every day just so I don't lose the knack.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Mercade wrote: »
    "When I google it I just get one page, not a lot of internet"

wait, what

Yes exactly. I wrote it down because it was such an odd answer

I'm starting to get a clearer picture about why nobody at your company understands your job description

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So it turns out all the salaried staff were asked to give up 10% of their pay while this is going on to help keep the office staff from being laid off.

The office staff was reduced to 32 hours but everyone is kept employed for the time being.

I have set up our office to do telemed, 2 days ahead of when we planned to start doing it. And now my brain can finally decompress after 4 weeks of OT because a server died at the beginning of the month.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So I got bored one day and decided to write up a curriculum map for one of the classes I had while student teaching, 20th Century Through Film.

This is what I put together:

-- Gilded Age/Progressive Era (Ragtime)
    -- WWI (All Quiet on the Western Front)
    -- 1920’s (Chicago)
    -- 1930’s (The Aviator)
    -- 1940’s
    ---- WWII (Schindler’s List)
    ---- Indian Independence Movement (Gandhi)
    --1950’s
    ---- The Red Scare (Good Night & Good Luck, The Manchurian Candidate)
    ---- China’s Transformation (The Last Emperor)
    --1960’s (Gimme Shelter)
    ---- Vietnam War (Born on the Fourth of July)
    ---- The Civil Rights Movement (Selma, [Malcolm X)
    --1970’s
    ---- Organized Crime (Goodfellas)
    ---- The Queer Rights Movement (Milk)
    ---- Watergate (All The President’s Men)
    --1980’s
    ---- The Cold War (Charlie Wilson's War, Rocky IV)
    1990’s
    ---- (Forrest Gump)
    ---- Tech Boom (Steve Jobs)

That would get the class through the seventeen weeks of the first semester.

Anything big I'm missing? What would you do differently?

Right now I'm thinking I could probably swap out Chicago with something like Bonnie and Clyde.

Have you considered Laurence of Arabia?
    Also, for the Vietnam War, I think there's a whole lot you can choose. Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Alchemist.
    Would Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas be a good choice? I kind of feel it does, but also realize they're kids, and maybe it might not be appropriate. But I've had history teachers in high school show me things, with parent permission, that you could argue we shouldn't have watched. I mean, it's perfect 1960s Americana.
    Also maybe if you could fit in Roots, either the original miniseries, or I think the redo movie that they did some years ago that glossed over much of it. I think that is a good bit of perspective.
    Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator also maybe? That seems really timeless, even though it breaks his whole silent movie career.
    If you're doing Chaplin, you could also get some Laurel and Hardy as well as Buster Keaton. But those are shorter and I don't think there are many full-length movies that they did.
    For the 1930s, you gotta do the Great Depression. O Brother, Where Art Thou should be what you put there. Barring that, Of Mice and Men, The Green Mile, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    For the 1990s, Forest Gump is alright, but wouldn't it be better to have more of a 1990s movie, like SLC Punk? Maybe that's inappropriate. I know I saw that in high school for sure.

I feel like it's tough to talk about the 20th century without space exploration at least getting a mention. October Sky or The Right Stuff or Apollo 13 perhaps. Hidden Figures would probably be the best.

Also a suggestion for Thirteen Days or The Missiles in October in regards to the Cold War.

Don't use The Right Stuff - the film's character assassination of Gus Grissom is both nonsensical (if NASA even thought for a moment that he did what the movie said he did, he would never have been given a seat on Apollo 1 (especially given that it was going to be a moonshot)) and revolting.

How about First Man instead? The plane and space stuff in that is incredible.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I've got several students from my school indicating to the district that don't have a device at home to do school work.

Every single child has a chromebook that was checked out to them in August. By the logs (thank you backdoor fake-vpn!) some of them haven't used the device since the day the district shutdown. So it's probably in the building. Relatively easily rectified. One kid hasn't used it since Dec 9th and apparently never told anybody it was lost; that kid is getting hit with a fee ($50 - $250 depending) for losing their device and getting a new one.

More than half the kids have used their device THIS WEEK. Several of those have used it every single day since the district shutdown. WTF are they doing?

Wouldn't be surprised that they simply told their folks that the school sent them home without any work to do and they've just been coasting along would be my guess. Though the one from December 9th is certainly an eye raiser. That's over half the school year ago...

They actually were sent home without work because the initial shutdown was initiated by the District as some extra time tacked onto Spring Break. Then after it started the State shutdown the schools for a few weeks in addition to that, so now they have to start doing and assigning work.

Dec. 9th kid is not an unusual circumstance. Sadly the teachers usually enable these kids so it's super simple for them to coast like that.

I'm mostly WTF'ing about kids who are telling the district they don't have a computer at all at home while I can see they're logging into and using their district issued computers every day. What do they think they screen they're glued to all day is?

You think kids would do that? Just lie about their ability to do homework?

Emails have been sent to guardians of kids who are claiming no device but have used their school-issued device after the date of shutdown. The child was CC'd, as was an assistant principal for the school.

Screenshots of access logs showing their username, dates, and length of activity were attached because I give no fucks anymore.

Sounds like some kids are about to learn a very important lesson about digital panopticons.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So it turns out all the salaried staff were asked to give up 10% of their pay while this is going on to help keep the office staff from being laid off.

The office staff was reduced to 32 hours but everyone is kept employed for the time being.

I have set up our office to do telemed, 2 days ahead of when we planned to start doing it. And now my brain can finally decompress after 4 weeks of OT because a server died at the beginning of the month.

So I heard they can ask to do this, as long as they reduce the working hours, at least in Canada.

At our place we're still being asked to work 40 hours...it was also announced during a massive conf call... and someone asked if it affects execs and the ceo said due to how their pay is structured its a different impact.

Everyone kinda lost it at that point.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    There are times tomorrow morning for staff to go into school. I'm going to go in and jack all the boxes of new books I ordered and have shown up since we shut down. It is a couple hundred books. Maybe read them and do some video reviews?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Dixon wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

So I heard they can ask to do this, as long as they reduce the working hours, at least in Canada.

At our place we're still being asked to work 40 hours...it was also announced during a massive conf call... and someone asked if it affects execs and the ceo said due to how their pay is structured its a different impact.

Everyone kinda lost it at that point.

Of course being in the US this means they can do anything. They'd be dumb to make this a permanent thing for us.

Also I got a WFH day out of it so basically no work done that day.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So I got bored one day and decided to write up a curriculum map for one of the classes I had while student teaching, 20th Century Through Film.

-- 1920’s (Chicago)
    -- 1930’s (The Aviator)
    -- 1940’s
    --1950’s
    --1960’s (Gimme Shelter)
    --1970’s
    --1980’s
    1990’s
    ---- (Forrest Gump)

Right now I'm thinking I could probably swap out Chicago with something like Bonnie and Clyde.

Also, for the Vietnam War, I think there's a whole lot you can choose. Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Alchemist.
    Would Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas be a good choice? I kind of feel it does, but also realize they're kids, and maybe it might not be appropriate. But I've had history teachers in high school show me things, with parent permission, that you could argue we shouldn't have watched. I mean, it's perfect 1960s Americana.
    Also maybe if you could fit in Roots, either the original miniseries, or I think the redo movie that they did some years ago that glossed over much of it. I think that is a good bit of perspective.
    Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator also maybe? That seems really timeless, even though it breaks his whole silent movie career.
    If you're doing Chaplin, you could also get some Laurel and Hardy as well as Buster Keaton. But those are shorter and I don't think there are many full-length movies that they did.
    For the 1930s, you gotta do the Great Depression. O Brother, Where Art Thou should be what you put there. Barring that, Of Mice and Men, The Green Mile, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    For the 1990s, Forest Gump is alright, but wouldn't it be better to have more of a 1990s movie, like SLC Punk? Maybe that's inappropriate. I know I saw that in high school for sure.

I feel like it's tough to talk about the 20th century without space exploration at least getting a mention. October Sky or The Right Stuff or Apollo 13 perhaps. Hidden Figures would probably be the best.

Also a suggestion for Thirteen Days or The Missiles in October in regards to the Cold War.

Don't use The Right Stuff - the film's character assassination of Gus Grissom is both nonsensical (if NASA even thought for a moment that he did what the movie said he did, he would never have been given a seat on Apollo 1 (especially given that it was going to be a moonshot)) and revolting.

First Man just doesn't have the broader view that Hidden Figures or The Right Stuff have. I thought it was okay.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed hidden figures a lot but I lost a lot of respect for it when I found out that they just made up a fair amount of it

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I enjoyed hidden figures a lot but I lost a lot of respect for it when I found out that they just made up a fair amount of it

I haven't seen it since the theaters, but it's not the most egregious. The bathroom scene didn't happen and Costner's character was a composite.

The racism at NASA proper was pretty low-key apparently. There was a sign on a table that said "Colored Computers" and one of them just kept throwing the sign away until it stopped showing up. There were colored restrooms, but the signs were required by state law and they ignored them and used whichever bathroom they wanted.

They weren't ever denied entry to Mission Control because they were black, they weren't allowed in because they weren't Primary Controllers. They didn't even try to go in there during the lauch. Even now you can't be on the floor of the flight control room during a mission if you're not supposed to be on a console there.

So really it's just the bits where Kevin Costner ends racism that are bad.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Multiple employees at multiple locations are now quarantined with suspected Covid-19.

In all cases their exposure was traced to being outside of work...

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I haven't seen it since the theaters, but it's not the most egregious. The bathroom scene didn't happen and Costner's character was a composite.

The racism at NASA proper was pretty low-key apparently. There was a sign on a table that said "Colored Computers" and one of them just kept throwing the sign away until it stopped showing up. There were colored restrooms, but the signs were required by state law and they ignored them and used whichever bathroom they wanted.

They weren't ever denied entry to Mission Control because they were black, they weren't allowed in because they weren't Primary Controllers. They didn't even try to go in there during the lauch. Even now you can't be on the floor of the flight control room during a mission if you're not supposed to be on a console there.

So really it's just the bits where Kevin Costner ends racism that are bad.

yeah maybe I'm being a bit hard on it but I really wish they hadn't done that, still

on the bright side, all the stuff with John Glenn asking for Katherine Johnson specifically is apparently true

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

-- 1920’s (Chicago)
    -- 1930’s (The Aviator)
    -- 1940’s
    --1950’s
    --1960’s (Gimme Shelter)
    --1970’s
    --1980’s
    1990’s
    ---- (Forrest Gump)

First Man just doesn't have the broader view that Hidden Figures or The Right Stuff have. I thought it was okay.

You could go the non-fiction route and screen Apollo 11 (2019). No stuffy narration or talking heads, all footage and audio is from the event as it occurred. Even the music was composed with synthesizers that existed back in the day!

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I’ve done maybe 20 minutes of work today. Maybe did an hour yesterday. Do I just learn to code, or

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm question for you folks. I am trying to do a project digitally but can't seem to figure it out. I have a 3 page document that downlaods as a TIF file, and I need to make minor edits on it (Like circling things or putting X's on stuff) but I can't figure out how. Windows photo viewer has no editing capacity and loading it in Paint or Snip Sketch only loads up the first page. Is there a way to do this?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hmm question for you folks. I am trying to do a project digitally but can't seem to figure it out. I have a 3 page document that downlaods as a TIF file, and I need to make minor edits on it (Like circling things or putting X's on stuff) but I can't figure out how. Windows photo viewer has no editing capacity and loading it in Paint or Snip Sketch only loads up the first page. Is there a way to do this?

Try paint.net?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Try paint.net?

Paint.net doesn't support it, maybe Irfanview or GIMP but then I would need to try and talk my boss/IT into letting me download one of those.

• Options
    For about the hundredth time, I'm glad my library system relies on property tax instead of sales tax.

oak3x9h1587x.png

Oklahoma's economy is about to implode.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Is that cheap? That seems very cheap to me, but I don't know what's normal there, or how big a gallon is.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Is that cheap? That seems very cheap to me, but I don't know what's normal there, or how big a gallon is.

It hasn't been this cheap since 2002, and it's less than half the price it was this time last month.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Is that real? I saw that before and assumed it was a photoshop edit

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Gasoline is the cheapest I have seen it since I was a little kid. And adjusting for inflation, that most likely means it is currently the cheapest it has ever been in my lifetime

I saw 73cents (cdn) a litre yesterday

normal price here ranges from like $1.05-1.25

• Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah at Costco I got 91 for under $0.80 a litre.

That’s definitely pricing from when I started driving at 16...which was 15 years ago

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Still around three & half bucks here.

• Options
    Its like $1.80 here, $1.50 at Costco

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Most of my policy focus in graduate school has been public finance. I'm finishing up a second paper that I want to try and publish in an academic journal on public finance.

Let me tell you: local governments are about to get fucked by a recession/depression.

Tax-expenditure limits (think Prop 13 in California, Prop 2.5 in Massachusetts, the Taxpayer's Bill of Rights in Colorado, etc.) have effectively shifted the structure of local governments away from broad-based inelastic revenues like property taxes toward user charges/fees and sales tax revenue. Since such sources are more elastic with economic activity, any increase in unemployment can basically hobble a local entity for years. I'm actually worried about getting a job right now because so many of the places I'm applying to are funded with either elastic taxes or user charges/fees. The city my SO lives in (nearby, same MSA, not the city I want to to work for thankfully) gets 45% of its revenue from sales tax, and at that mostly from "luxury" expenses like concerts, outlet malls, sports events that are the first to go in an economic downturn.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    lol surprise work announcement, all salaried employees taking a 20% pay cut for the quarter.

That seems dubious at best.

Kind of fukkin amazing that employees are expected to burden the hardships, but see no boost when the company is doing well.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I am one week into wfh and although my family still love each other, we are starting to feel the crunch, the 3 and 6 year old being home is not helpful. I have a decent enough grasp of Covid,I've been keeping an eye on it since January and I am getting more and more scared for my family and myself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    buck 80 here in austin, haven't seen under a dollar since I started driving

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Kamiro wrote: »

a gallon is 4 quarts

I guess we’re just making up words now.

sarukun on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

a gallon is 4 quarts

A quart is two ha'penny and a farthing right?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

a gallon is 4 quarts

It's okay. A quart is two pints, which are then made up of two cups each.

I hope this helps!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Gas is just under $3 here at my local place in LA

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »

:(

EDIT: Maybe it's not sad, pre se. But it's certainly surprising
    And for the record, $2.40 at Costco, $2.50 around town

chromdom on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    And a cup is, of course, 236.588 milliliters.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

a gallon is 4 quarts

It's okay. A quart is two pints, which are then made up of two cups each.

I hope this helps!

Sure, buddy. I used to watch Star Trek too.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    $1.60 around Dallas. I have seen gas go below $1 before, but not recently.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    And a cup is, of course, 236.588 milliliters.

Get out of here with those nonsense numbers.

A cup is divided into eight fluid ounces!

This discussion has been closed.