As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Thanks Fleur. The grapple confuses me as is there a specific times to do it? I grapple and then get tossed off immediately, whereas the mount I don't get tossed off immediately. Granted I'm also using the Insect Glaive, so I dunno.

And what the hell is a wall bang?

I didn't even know you could change the Palico skill, ugh. I got used to the healing.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Thanks Fleur. The grapple confuses me as is there a specific times to do it? I grapple and then get tossed off immediately, whereas the mount I don't get tossed off immediately. Granted I'm also using the Insect Glaive, so I dunno.

And what the hell is a wall bang?

I didn't even know you could change the Palico skill, ugh. I got used to the healing.

A wall bang is an Iceborne technique when a player is riding the monster and chooses an alternate finisher that makes the monster crash into a wall, yielding easy broken monster parts and a KO.

I need to redo that Clutch Claw tutorial...

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    When you get a mount you basically enter a mini game with different behavior for you and the monster compared to normally fighting it. The grapple is just a positioning tool within the fight which also unlocks your clutch attacks. Monster behavior doesn't really change while you're clutched on in most cases, and they'll continue to use their regular moveset which will impact you normally.

Monsters occasionally flinch and will stand and drool for a few seconds. That's a guaranteed opportunity to clutch a specific part and do a wounding attack. Using Temporal Mantle allows for pretty stress free grapples in most cases. Other than that it's just knowing monster attacks and hitboxes. Some monsters have very few openings to clutch on (Kirin), and it's almost impossible to have a window to clutch attack safely if it's not impaired somehow. Other stuff will have big windows where you can hook on (Uragaan huge chin slam=free tail clutch), and some monsters have parts you can clutch on to pretty much at will because they very rarely become active hitboxes (Glavenus head, Brachydios tail).

Instead of doing the clutch attack, you can fire your slinger ammo to send a non-enraged monster running forward a little ways. If it hits a wall it will get knocked down and take Tons Of Damage. You can also hit the other attack button that isn't the clutch attack to make the monster turn around 90 degrees to line up the shot (or intentionally or accidentally enrage the monster after a few turns). Grapple+turn/flinch shot takes a lot less time to execute than the wounding attack so it's easier to pull off.

Frosteey on
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Also note that you can't Wall Bang an enraged (red eyes) monster. You can still pull off a wounding attack during a long delay or a drooling pause, but the slinger face shot won't cause a charge into a wall if it's enraged.

There's an optional quest that goes through all the Clutch Claw mechanics. It's good. Play it a few times if you need to.

There's also advanced techniques, like banging a monster into another monster or an avalanche wall.

For Palicos, there's a bunch of hidden area optionals, one for each location, that unlock new skills. Check a guide, get 'em all. The flash / trap one is nice if you're not going for a capture (elders, special arena), but it can make capturing difficult if you are. Use Plunderblade for farming. I believe Meowlotov is the go-to for damage?

I also find Tailraiders useful. They're just more damage / attention-grabbing when solo. Make sure you've unlocked those where you can.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Thanks for the tips, just went in and tried the grapple bits and did a ton more damage on a Master expedition.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The big one I see people miss is the drooling staggers. Landing a clutch claw during that greatly extends the duration of it (since it makes sure you have time to safely fire your attack). So if someone grabs on it's an extra 5s or so of time to just beat up on the monster.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Personally, up to here I'm just playing mostly like in HR. And I don't think I've ever done a wallbang. I don't even remember how to do it, to be honest. Currently tracking Velkhana for the rematch, and doing pretty alright.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Personally, up to here I'm just playing mostly like in HR. And I don't think I've ever done a wallbang. I don't even remember how to do it, to be honest. Currently tracking Velkhana for the rematch, and doing pretty alright.

The monsters post-Velkhana are going to really emphasize using wallbangs to get through without timing out on hunts.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The big one I see people miss is the drooling staggers. Landing a clutch claw during that greatly extends the duration of it (since it makes sure you have time to safely fire your attack). So if someone grabs on it's an extra 5s or so of time to just beat up on the monster.

To go in depth in this - a clagger (clutch stagger) is a hidden meter that builds up.

Once it's full, the next time you flinch a monster, it will instead go into the drooling stagger. This lasts for 4 seconds. If a clutch claw connects during this animation the monster will visibly flinch/shudder and the timer on the clagger state will reset to 6 seconds. This ensures you can get a wound or a wall bang off

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The monsters post-Velkhana are going to really emphasize using wallbangs to get through without timing out on hunts.

Ah, so after Velkhana we're back to stupid G-Rank nonsense HP? That will proabbly mark a good place to stop, then.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular

Ah, so after Velkhana we're back to stupid G-Rank nonsense HP? That will proabbly mark a good place to stop, then.

I feel like a fight has dragged on foreverrrrr when a solo kill takes me 15m, so YMMV.

Kamar wrote: »

I feel like a fight has dragged on foreverrrrr when a solo kill takes me 15m, so YMMV.

See, I don't mind twenty, twenty five, thirty minute clears. I'm playing monster hunter, I know what I'm about!

But I'm not going back to the Unite days of Attack Up L and Adrenaline +2 on every set and I will simply shrug and drop the game if it looks like that kind of building is going to become necessary.

If I get the 10 minute warning, that's my clue that I need to wallbang more.

Hell...if a fight hits 30 minutes, I start eyeballing my gear and making sure I didn't bring the wrong weapon and begin questioning whether I'm wallbanging enough.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited March 2020

See, I don't mind twenty, twenty five, thirty minute clears. I'm playing monster hunter, I know what I'm about!

But I'm not going back to the Unite days of Attack Up L and Adrenaline +2 on every set and I will simply shrug and drop the game if it looks like that kind of building is going to become necessary.

I'm not sure what you consider too overtuned as far as builds go.

I make sure I have 100% crit rate on softened weak points and crit boost 3 for the extra crit damage, which is pretty easy when WEX gives you 50% by itself on those weak points, then I cram in my HB3 and Evade Window 5 (and EE2 usually since I'm SA), then handicraft depending on weapon, then whatever other utility makes sense, and only then think about finishing up Agitator or adding Attack Boost or (lol) Peak Performance.

Kamar on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shit gets better once you get into the endgame and can start making endgame weapons. The curve will eventually flatten into a more familiar shape.

For the entirety of the story though, yeah fights are going to feel like they go on forever, even if you're meticulously on top of your gear.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited March 2020

I make sure I have 100% crit rate on softened weak points and crit boost 3 for the extra crit damage, which is pretty easy when WEX gives you 50% by itself on those weak points, then I cram in my HB3 and Evade Window 5 (and EE2 usually since I'm SA), then handicraft depending on weapon, then whatever other utility makes sense, and only then think about finishing up Agitator or adding Attack Boost or (lol) Peak Performance.

Honestly, up to here I don't even have an actual armor set as such. I'm still using a bunch of random-ass stuff from leftover mats with whatever decos I had on hand. As said, I'm kind of old hand at this, so I tend to just shrug and do stuff without caring much until I run into an armor set I particularly like, then build that. But in World G-Rank I still haven't run into any Nerscylla-style "oh man that looks badass I need to wear that" thing, so I mostly just do pieces that I happen to have the mats for after weapon upgrades.

The only thing that is non-negotiable is Evade Extend. I'm using mostly Charge Blade and light bowgun and the QoL involved in having at least extend 2, preferably 3, is extremely noticeable. Everything else, eh, whatever comes in. But since Tobi bracers already get me that in one go, that's not a terribly big ask.

I might need to build a gun set, though, because I swear in MR it feels like bowgun hits like a nerf dart gun.

Drascin on
    edited March 2020

See, I don't even do any of that. At most, I'll get Health3, Divine Blessing3, and focus on the elemental resistance(s) of the target. If I don't know the element (or can't guess what element it is), I'll pick up Steadfast3.

More than that, it's dependent on what weapon I'm using. Insect Glaive = Flight/Expert (or, barring that, just a Flight jewel); Gunlance/Charge Blade = Guard5 (and, if needed, Guard Up). And, if I have extra 1-slot decoration slots left over, I'll either use paralyzer/sleep (if I'm using a paralysis/sleep weapon) or fill the rest with Expert jewels...but that's only if I have/need to fill decoration slots. With these weapons and decoration loadouts, the only monster I've had a real problem with was MR Kushala. Everything else was manageable. But with Kushala, the only way I could get through that one was by wallbanging. Otherwise, I just couldn't deal enough damage to down them in 50 minutes.

EDIT - as for armor itself, I usually pick out what I like the look of and then make sure it has the decoration slots I need for at least my base gem strategy. And then chuck that all out the window and wear the Astral/Oolong armors.

Erlkönig on
    edited March 2020
    Teostra set bonus+reliable crits so you don't have to sharpen is pretty valuable for saving time beyond the raw damage, especially if you're, say, running like 10 points of white or purple sharpness.

AFAIK the set bonuses people care about for melee are Teostra 3pc to not lose sharpness on crits (this is the big one), Velkhana 2pc so elemental damage can crit/4pc for bonus damage after sheathing (wyvernsnipe clutch claw lol), Namielle for a different elemental bonus (usually 2pc of it and 2pc velkhana), Silver Rath 4pc for Better Elemental Crits (this is the main elemental set now), and, uh, that might be it? I'm not sure if bows use the elemental sets or have their own thing they go for.

Nargacuga is also used early in MR for sharpness upkeep, and I think for guns in some endgame builds?

Zorah Magdaros is used for some guns for extra ranks of artillery, iirc.

Safi's set can work really well for some weapons iirc, but it's like the anti-comfy build since you just constantly take damage with it.

Kamar on
    Teostra set bonus+reliable crits so you don't have to sharpen is pretty valuable for saving time beyond the raw damage, especially if you're, say, running like 10 points of white or purple sharpness.

Raider Ride mitigates that a fair bit. Doesn't help versus the metallic Raths, arena/special arena quests, or Shara...but everything else runs (eventually). Haven't had many fights where the monster didn't run before my glaives/gunlances get close to hitting green sharpness.

I'll be honest, I didn't look into it in advance and was kind of hoping the buff to Perfect Rush made it convenient instead of just hard-hitting.

I'm not good enough to create and optimally use windows big enough for it with any sort of consistency. As is I still get my best results just mashing while wiggling back and forth so lateral slash to loop instead of using my shield. It works but its like an 80% coolness dropoff from Perfect Rush.

Claw uppercut doing 50 of the 100 tenderize damage needed to soften a part is really really nice, though I can't get the timing down so I just sort of mash L2 after rolling and pray it happens.

I tried learning a bit of KBAM last night. It felt great but the Clutch Claw controls were overhwelming.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    safi is a lot more comfortable than you might think for most weapons. i was iffy about using it at first but in practice it's not super dangerous unless you're running the no-regen resentment setup. i'd say it's actually a net improvement for the lance in survivability, even.

Either way, poked a bit at the game, which I hadn't played in a week, figured that I'd try some HBG, been a bit.

Honestly, it feels way harder to gun in MR? Like, I just did a couple Glavenus back to back, one with charge blade and another with HBG. The bowgun took literally twice as long and I got carted twice. It feels like the weak points for shots are way more specific, while on melee it's like "hey, are you swinging in the general vicinity of a weakpoint? Orange damage".

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I tried learning a bit of KBAM last night. It felt great but the Clutch Claw controls were overhwelming.

It took me just a little while to sort out, also. It didn't help that I play ranged almost exclusively, so there's extra stuff to do.

The thing to remember is that there's really just three things you can do when clutching:
    Wound
    Turn
    Wallbang

If the monster's enraged, you can't turn or wallbang, making it a bit easier.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

It took me just a little while to sort out, also. It didn't help that I play ranged almost exclusively, so there's extra stuff to do.

The thing to remember is that there's really just three things you can do when clutching:
    Wound
    Turn
    Wallbang

If the monster's enraged, you can't turn or wallbang, making it a bit easier.

There's two extra things, which aren't intuitive. When you have the Glider Mantle equiped, you can clutch on, leap off and that immediately puts you into a gliding spot where you can then go into an aerial attack. You can spam this to try to get mounts faster or when you're in an area with no ledges.

The other is you can clutch and let go when the monster is in the drooling/clutch me! animation, and instead of going for the wound you instead get the full extra duration on their exhausted window that you can use to hit them with your weapon instead of tenderizing/wounding, if you don't have to re-apply a wound at that point in time.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    As an insect glaive user, what type of armors should I be aiming at? I have crap atm as I'm new to MR (although your tips have been VERY noticeable in how I'm doing). I'm probably going to get an Odogaron piece soon since the crit boost it would give me meets or exceeds the weakness exploit I have, so it feels like it'd be a bump over it.

As an insect glaive user, what type of armors should I be aiming at? I have crap atm as I'm new to MR (although your tips have been VERY noticeable in how I'm doing). I'm probably going to get an Odogaron piece soon since the crit boost it would give me meets or exceeds the weakness exploit I have, so it feels like it'd be a bump over it.

Normally, I don't really worry that much about armor sets when glaiving. For example, here's what I used for WAY longer than I should've when going through the MR storyline:
    aks8q9kewqoa.jpg

These days, if I don't know what I'm going up against and what element to specifically gear for, this is what I use:
    xk6ddjtii1au.jpg

I'll round out required or nice-to-have skills using decorations.

I'm burning out on the grind in this game. If this game didn't have stats and the need to grind for them it would a third as long and still a damn good boss rush game.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Picked up iceborne on sale and fired it up last night. Super rusty. Only managed the first task to beat snow shark but felt way off.

Couldn't figure out clutch claw either

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    Picked up iceborne on sale and fired it up last night. Super rusty. Only managed the first task to beat snow shark but felt way off.

Couldn't figure out clutch claw either

Do that tutorial mission over and over until you're comfortable with it or you'll never do the damage needed to complete Master level quests without frying your mind.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    QUESTION...

How does Clutch Claw work with "Light Weapon" vs "Heavy Weapons"?

Like, i use the gunlance. it takes a couple clutch claw attacks to soften up a part, correct?

Also, while i'm at it, the new Iceborne attack that attaches an explodey thing, is it worth using over and over?

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I really like the Beotodus fight, it's such a spectacle. Just stay put, he will always come to you and telegraph his attacks.
    QUESTION...

Like, i use the gunlance. it takes a couple clutch claw attacks to soften up a part, correct?

Also, while i'm at it, the new Iceborne attack that attaches an explodey thing, is it worth using over and over?

Light weapons = You need to do a clutch claw attack on the same part twice. The first attack never degrades, so no need to be in a hurry to do both. Hitting the monster with the claw (Circle or B) I think 3 times, will soften the part as well.

The explodey thing is absolutely worth it, and you should try to have it up as much as possible. The better the ammo you use, the longer it lasts.

Satsumomo on
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I really like the Beotodus fight, it's such a spectacle. Just stay put, he will always come to you and telegraph his attacks.
    QUESTION...

Light weapons = You need to do a clutch claw attack on the same part twice. The first attack never degrades, so no need to be in a hurry to do both. Hitting the monster with the claw (Circle or B) I think 3 times, will soften the part as well.

The explodey thing is absolutely worth it, and you should try to have it up as much as possible. The better the ammo you use, the longer it lasts.

With the explodey staple thing, of note: you can only have one staple attached per gunlancer in your group at a time.

This means if you have 4 gunlancers, that's a LOT of secondary explosions.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    What triggers the explosions? Is it only shelling + Wyvernbkast?

Wyvern's fire, wyvernstake, shells, full burst... basically anything that's explosive sets it off.

Wyvern's fire, wyvernstake, shells, full burst... basically anything that's explosive sets it off.

ok, but like.... explosive ammo off a bowgun won't, right?

As I understand it, to soften a part you need to do 100 tenderize damage.

Light weapons do 50 total across whatever hits they do if you hit attack while clutched. Heavy weapons do 100 total (usually backloaded so you'll get like 25 if you get knocked off after the initial hit). Clawing does...25, I think? Maybe 20. SNS claw uppercut does 50 now (so you can uppercut onto a part, then attack it, and it's tenderized). DBs has something that does tenderize damage as well now, I forget what.

edited March 2020

This is what's recommended for a middle-of-MR melee build. Has plenty of slots free to finish up Health Boost and add some other utility. Nargacuga set bonus slows sharpness depletion.

https://imgur.com/X15V37d

As a more general rule, melee damage skill priority is vaguely something like

• Weakness Exploit (a whopping 50% affinity on most tenderized body parts, even if they're not weak spots before tenderizing because tenderizing changes HZVs which is what determines what is and isn't a weak spot for this)
    • Critical Eye (however much you need to hit 100% with weapon base affinity+WEX+agitator+AB4+whatever, take points off here as you can)
    • Critical Boost 3(best damage upgrade skill once you're critting most hits)
    • Agitator 5 (affinity and some damage during enrage, which is ALWAYS in MR because of wall bangs, not necessarily optimal to max out on every build if you're already affinity capped and need utility or handicraft)
    • Attack Boost 4 (adds 5% affinity at rank 4 in addition to the attack bonus)
    • Attack Boost 7

Others to consider depending on how you play would be Handicraft (as much as you need to hit/be comfortable with the highest sharpness level of your weapon. More important than attack boost and extra ranks of agitator. I run 10 points of purple on a lot of weapons and never run out because of Teostra set bonus), Latent Power (affinity and stamina buff activates when you take enough damage),
    Peak Performance (a little more attack boost when your health is maxed out), various elemental boosts at rank 7 (around the same priority as Critical Boost with heavily elemental weapons, if you have elemental crits from a set bonus, I think?), Focus for certain charging weapons, and a few weapon-specific things (I don't think you slot anything special for IG)

And just pull things off starting at the bottom if you need more room for utility or can't manage with the decorations you have.

Kamar on

ok, but like.... explosive ammo off a bowgun won't, right?

Just gunlance attacks I think. Not sure if you can detonate other players'.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    element damage beats crit boost on critical element setups, since crit element doesn't benefit from crit boost iirc. resentment and peak performance are probably around attack boost 4 tier, but require being able to maintain their uptime. coalescence is a really strong DPS skill too that gets overlooked but it's again conditional.

wex, crit boost, and crit eye are the holy trinity of raw weapons. you got those, you're at least doing okay damage. that's my baseline for even defensive or gimmicky setups.