As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    That's why you have 5E Bards.

They insult you so viciously you take physical damage.

Unless you're high level. Then the thing you're fighting makes its saving throw and it does nothing, wasting your turn.

Aistan on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Man I'm not sure what I'm even doing. I'm defiantely not in the right area, need to finish some quests. Been chilling through the cloakwood, keep finding quests that kick my ass. Trying to find one single wyvern to try and cheese a win on via save scummming. But I'm far above my head.

If you haven't yet, you should hit up Mutamin's Garden. There's a few basilisks in there that are worth upwards of 4000 exp. Just make sure you can cast Protection from Petrification.

I need to look at my spells and my priest spells in particular. I don't know DnD and feel like I'm not doing things right.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I just did that the Garden and got Dynaheir to level 5. Time for Fireballs!

EDIT: Found Safana. But she is meant for another run.

Sirines / Sirens are such a pain.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Man I'm not sure what I'm even doing. I'm defiantely not in the right area, need to finish some quests. Been chilling through the cloakwood, keep finding quests that kick my ass. Trying to find one single wyvern to try and cheese a win on via save scummming. But I'm far above my head.

If you haven't yet, you should hit up Mutamin's Garden. There's a few basilisks in there that are worth upwards of 4000 exp. Just make sure you can cast Protection from Petrification.

I need to look at my spells and my priest spells in particular. I don't know DnD and feel like I'm not doing things right.

I think that spell might be scroll-only at your level. It's definitely available on scrolls.

The trick with the garden is that basilisks are nasty, but their only attack is to try to petrify you. No regular damage. So you protect your tank, send them in to get stoned, they're immune, everyone else just arrows the shit out of the monsters.

It's a level 2 mage spell at the least.

I was using it yesterday with Dynaheir. Suck it Mutamin!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Protection from Petrification is a level 1 Mage spell, and it lasts a while.

Be really careful if you try to send one person in to distract the basilisk while everyone else shoots it. On Core Rules and above, the basilisks will switch targets if they see someone else, and they will eventually move in to melee if all their available targets are immune to their gaze.

The best method is to use one Protected person to take the initial gaze attack, while your mage casts Blindness on the basilisk. It breaks its AI even with SCS, and you can arrow them down with impunity.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Looking forward to relaxing with some Baldur's Gate after a rough day at work. I wonder what adventure I'll get up to today. <checks notes> The Thieves Maze. :P

Ok dude is complaining about a dragon head now. Any easy way to get one in the next 7 days or cheese it? I'd like to keep him

Ok dude is complaining about a dragon head now. Any easy way to get one in the next 7 days or cheese it? I'd like to keep him

I have a save right before I picked him up. Guess I should go back to that, not pick him up, and get some xp before picking him up.

edited March 2020
    So, (BG3 stuff)
    Abdel, the canon MC, is dead and Bhaal came back to life. That's a bummer.

I wonder if Imoen and Jaheira are still around.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So, (BG3 stuff)

Is supposed to be 100 years later, the human would be dead and the elf might not be.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2020
    He was killed recently.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Abdel_Adrian#Later_Life

Coran is alive. His son is part of Minsc's new adventuring party.

IIRC the adventures are kinda canon.

EDIT: Or might not. Adventure seems to bifurcate.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So, (BG3 stuff)

From what I understand having not played or read the module this is from
    the only people I know of from BG1 and 2 that are canonically alive are Minsc and, oddly enough, Coran.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited March 2020
    Regarding Coran,
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Coran

The portrait of Coran is based on a photo of Greg Zeschuk, co-founder of BioWare and executive producer of the Baldur's Gate series.

I hope Xan or a descendant show up. Give the moonblade to someone with more hit points.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    also, g
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    So, (BG3 stuff)

Is supposed to be 100 years later, the human would be dead and the elf might not be.

Jaheira is a half-elf and will be likely dead, too.

From the companions running around in bg2, the only ones that could still be alive are the following:
    Viconia (elf, long life span, canon bhaalspawn romances Jaheira)
    Jan (gnome, long life span)
    Aerie (elf)
    Cernd (druid, can potentially become immortal going by 5e rules)
    Korgan (dwarf, long life span)

This is barring gimmicks like Minsc's petrification.
    I suppose Edwin is the sort to glance at lichdom.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Half-elves live between 120-180 years according to the wiki.
    Jaheira might be around if she was young enough.

Haer'Dalis is a tiefling and might be around with a different look thanks to Asmodeus' magic.

From BG1 there's Kivan and a few others.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Wow, two potion'd up fighter will just dismantle Sarevok.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Half-elves live between 120-180 years according to the wiki.
    Jaheira might be around if she was young enough.

Haer'Dalis is a tiefling and might be around with a different look thanks to Asmodeus' magic.

From BG1 there's Kivan and a few others.

To continue speculation,
    Jaheira would likely be around 25-35ish during BG1.

edit- Oh and Sarevok could easily still be alive. If he was brought back from the afterlife he is in an immortal state. Unable to die, but unable to truly live.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Ran into Drizzt. :D

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Ran into Drizzt. :D

Fun fact for his appearance in BG2. If you're playing an Elf, named yourself Drizzt, and have low reputation he's angry as can be and attacks you as a sabotaging impostor to his name.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    I think I've read somewhere you can pickpocket his swords.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The BG series include some remarkably robust console commands, for those moments when you want to do something weird, like assume Drizzt's identity and recruit his party. Even without using save editor I've rolled with Boo as a full fledged party member.

He tends to evade incoming damage, and knocks people prone when he bites them.

Go for the eyes, Boo!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    So I'm about to reload a save 7 days prior to my one. I picked up corann but just can't kill a wyvern at my level. I guess I should just do some side quests and explore the map.

Any tips for when I can kill a wyvern and tips on killing them? Grease, sleep, and web seem worthless which is how i normally kill things.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So I'm about to reload a save 7 days prior to my one. I picked up corann but just can't kill a wyvern at my level. I guess I should just do some side quests and explore the map.

Any tips for when I can kill a wyvern and tips on killing them? Grease, sleep, and web seem worthless which is how i normally kill things.

You were asking for potential cheese earlier, you can just set the game to story mode for the encounter. It makes it literally impossible to die.

Then just change it back afterwards. Cheese accomplished!

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This is the true BG1 experience btw

I generally go from Candlekeep clear out the starting map, get to Friendly Arms inn clearing every map on way there, to pick up the people there, clear that map, go up one to pick up the paladin if doing a "good playthrough", go down to Beregost clearing everything on the way, get the dwarf and do his short quest if going evil, visit every location in Beregost and temple on map to the right, clear map to left, make way to Nashkel clearing along the way, pick up Minsc/Edwin, visit every location there, get the priest from the fair and do all of fair, do a little bit of mines, go deal with Dynahair, clear everything in the way there, finish mines, clear all the South maps, clear all the maps along the coast, clear most of the inland maps except Durlag Tower and Firewine, clear Ankheg map where i got paladin, clear the two bandit camp maps, clear Firewine, clear every Cloakwood map in order, then...
    ... Baldurs Gate explore every inch including the sewers, hit up the farm and fishing village to the north, do aboveground Durlag and a bit below, do Candlekeep, once able to do do whatever do warewolf island, finish Durlag, finish game.

steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

summon a few things, like undead or animals as fodder and then blast the wyverns with everything you have. Flame Arrow, acid arrow etc, and when the summons seem like they're about to die, step out of the cave and ambush the wyverns as they try to escape.

Also another cheeseball technique is using Horror or any fear effect spell, there's one that's cloak of fear or something which is an ongoing effect so enemies have to keep making checks against it.

I generally go from Candlekeep clear out the starting map, get to Friendly Arms inn clearing every map on way there, to pick up the people there, clear that map, go up one to pick up the paladin if doing a "good playthrough", go down to Beregost clearing everything on the way, get the dwarf and do his short quest if going evil, visit every location in Beregost and temple on map to the right, clear map to left, make way to Nashkel clearing along the way, pick up Minsc/Edwin, visit every location there, get the priest from the fair and do all of fair, do a little bit of mines, go deal with Dynahair, clear everything in the way there, finish mines, clear all the South maps, clear all the maps along the coast, clear most of the inland maps except Durlag Tower and Firewine, clear Ankheg map where i got paladin, clear the two bandit camp maps, clear Firewine, clear every Cloakwood map in order, then...
    ... Baldurs Gate explore every inch including the sewers, hit up the farm and fishing village to the north, do aboveground Durlag and a bit below, do Candlekeep, once able to do do whatever do warewolf island, finish Durlag, finish game.

I definitely did none of this. The character make you feel like your on a timer and I just learned enemies don't respawn. I thought they did so I never bothered to clear an area. Maybe I should do that.

Or I guess I could change the difficulty. I think I may do that and just cheese it so I don't have to lose progress. I never really thought about doing this. I even remember seeing a tip on it after loading. I didn't realize this was an option in the original version.

Most stuff doesn't respawn. There is a tiny handful that does, not really worth "farming".

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2020
    DOes anybody know if any wyvern head works in BGT? I'm not playing the EE. I had a random encounter with 2 wyverns, and with the lowered difficulty somehow beat them. I'm outside the actual wyvern cave now and getting my ass kicked.

*EDIT* Haha remembered I have potions. Popped two potion of invunerability and cleared the wyvern cavern. Woo hoo! Now off to exploring and doing side quests,

RickRude on
    According to the wiki you only need to deliver a head: https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Wyvern_Head

XBL - ArchSilversmith

DOes anybody know if any wyvern head works in BGT? I'm not playing the EE. I had a random encounter with 2 wyverns, and with the lowered difficulty somehow beat them. I'm outside the actual wyvern cave now and getting my ass kicked.

*EDIT* Haha remembered I have potions. Popped two potion of invunerability and cleared the wyvern cavern. Woo hoo! Now off to exploring and doing side quests,

Yeah. Don't be precious with your potions and wands. There are tons of them and they can make fights really easy.

It's the finally fantasy trap of "I'll use it some day". Use it now.

steam_sig.png
    If you sell wands then re-buy them they get recharged.

Problem is the old version doesn't show the number of charges.

Icewind Dale with the expansion does that.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I may have nuked my party a time or thousand with fire pots and wands

Yeah. Don't be precious with your potions and wands. There are tons of them and they can make fights really easy.

While I was looking through I saw I had a bunch of antidotes and I've never even used them. I definately need to make use of them. My main mage has 2 wands, and they're both at mostly full charges.
    It's the finally fantasy trap of "I'll use it some day". Use it now.

Ya I always horde stuff then have tons of it late game. Even potions I'm stingy with in FF. I have a bunch of +1 sling shots and special arrows and I never think of using them.
    If you sell wands then re-buy them they get recharged.

Problem is the old version doesn't show the number of charges.

Icewind Dale with the expansion does that.

Hmmm, I may have to keep this in mind. Right now I need to sell stuff.

Where can I sell wyvern heads? I don't see captain vai at the jovial juggler as suggested in a guide, and don't have a bandit scalp on me anyways. Maybe I finished everything with her already.

edited March 2020
    Wiki says the quest ends with the priest at the big temple of Lathander.

The wizard in High Hedge also buys them along with 2 more npcs.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

Any tips on what to do with gold and where to spend it? I always hoard it in RPG's. After killing these wyverns and other quests, I think I have a lot of gold. Almost 12k, assume that's a decent amount. About to go exploring the map now that I'm free from quests. I'm not even sure where I'm at in the main quest. Chapter 5 I think?

Any tips on what to do with gold and where to spend it? I always hoard it in RPG's. After killing these wyverns and other quests, I think I have a lot of gold. Almost 12k, assume that's a decent amount. About to go exploring the map now that I'm free from quests. I'm not even sure where I'm at in the main quest. Chapter 5 I think?

There should be vendors in Beregost you can get some neat stuff from. Also not to spoil things too much (should be obvious) but
    pretty soon you'll be able to go into the capital city the game is named after and there is a ton of vendors of all sorts there.

steam_sig.png
    Just met Drizzt. I used to read the books, have the compilations of like 4 of the series. Was pretty cool seeing him .

This discussion has been closed.