As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I really like the blue skintone.

Got that corpsey look going on.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    @Vanguard what's the base recipe on them there Golems? Assuming you started from Agrellan Earth?

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2020
    pardzh wrote: »
    @Vanguard what's the base recipe on them there Golems? Assuming you started from Agrellan Earth?

Yes, I used Agrellan Earth but I also primed it to make it more rugged.

From there: Rhinox Hide base, and then drybrushing doombull brown, jokero orange, troll slayer orange, and ushbati bone in that order

@pardzh

speaking of the base, I kind of what to add a tuft of dead grass from army painter to add a little more dimension to it - will snag once the world re-opens

Vanguard on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The vallejo metallic medium I ordered arrives today. Pretty excited to see what I can do with.

Also have some UV resin and the fur green stuff press coming from green stuff world so I can wolf up my dreadnoughts with ease.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Big laser man is angry 😡
    82e39ap7bm0w.jpg

Getting the hang of this type of painting I think.

• Options
    Apparently I can't buy a new nozzle for my airbrush. The company that makes it doesn't have replacement nozzles or anything on their website. Thay is a bit frustrating.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    What company is it?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Mayday wrote: »
    What company is it?

The company is mr hobby. I bought one of their creos airbrushes.

I found a website selling them but they are $25 and out if stock. I can drop $50 and get the nozzle, a needle, and an air cap but that is nearly half the cost of a whole new airbrush.

Stragint on

• Options
    Paranoid germaphobe question and basically a dumb question.

I got some new Vallejo and green stuff world paint in the mail and the germaphobe part of me wants to wipe the bottles down with some bleach wipes.

That won't harm the paint, right?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I can't imagine it would seep through the glass or whatever the lid is made out of.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I can't imagine it would seep through the glass or whatever the lid is made out of.

The bottles are made of whatever plastic they make their dropper bottles out of.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ah, sorry. Nevermind me, then.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Bleach generally can't harm plastics. It will fuck up the pigments in the paint. Just dilute the bleach and let the pots dry before you open them.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If it's the covids you're worried about, just use soapy water. It'll do the job just fine.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I mean worst case scenario just let them sit there for a while. It doesnt last forever.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I ended up using lysol bleach wipes but next time I'm gonna use soap and water next time.

The bottles look fine and weirdly the labels seem totally fine too.

No idea how to tell if they are messed up though. Two of the bottles are colorshift and the other two are metallic medium.

• Options
    I'm really starting to hate the paint dropper bottles. They keep getting clogged and I clear it but paint still wont come out and then the top pops off and I lose almost an entire bottle of paint.

The evil forest that got sent to me as a replacement seems to be fine after looking at all the spilled contents on my went pallete.

I'm really starting to prefer GWs paint bottles.

The metallic medium is weird. I find it works extremely well with contrast paints but I need to find the right ratio with regular paints to make it really work.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So I bought a 3D Resin printer. I printed out this Koi Fish Wizard from Titan Forge Miniatures.

This is a WIP, but the pieces in progress are not attached yet. There's a base and an umbrella I'm going to get to tomorrow I hope.

unknown.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Citadel pots < Reaper droppers < Vallejo/Scalecolor droppers <<<<< P3, Coat d'Arms, Old Citadel pots

Don't @ me.

EDIT: And artist arcylic/oils in the tubes are 1000x better than the damn lot of em.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I'm a dropper man myself. Only dropper of any brand I've ever had any issue with is when one was accidentally tipped on it's side and sat that way for like 9 months. I never used the old citadel pots but I seriously don't like the new style.

Edit: This is coming from someone who paints D&D minis one off, and doesn't batch armies. There might be trade offs I don't see.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I've had to clear clogs out of any number of my dropper bottle paints, and I'd still 1000% take them over pots.

I'm finding the ones with clogs are older and needed some TLC on the paint anyway (thinning, vigorous shaking w/ agitators), so it really doesn't bother me.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I don't know, I'm mostly just very frustrated that I lost 3/4 of this paint when I was so looking forward to using it. It was also a replacement for the first bottle I bought because the pigmentation in the first was all fucked up.

I've had this happen with my white fluorescent paint and a red paint from scale 75. There was one other that I had a big spill on but I can't remember.

I've definitely knocked over a bottle of agrax once and one of the contrast paints so it's not like disaster doesn't happen there.

I figured since I can't get chaos black and wraithbone primer that I'll get a big bottle of black vallejo primer and some pots of wraithbone to run through the airbrush for a zenithal.

Really hoping I have enough paint to paint all my Skaven and Space Wolves. Maybe even my Tau and finally do the Maliwan theme.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I like the citadel pots, but yeah the tall ones used for contrast and washes can be a little tippy. That's especially bad news for the contrasts, which are relatively pricey.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    P3 pots would be the best if the flap for opening the lid didn't break, causing me to require a screwdriver just to open it.
    That fact places those pots at the bottom of the list for me.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I like the citadel pots, but yeah the tall ones used for contrast and washes can be a little tippy. That's especially bad news for the contrasts, which are relatively pricey.

This is why GW make those rubber pot stands which are actually quite good and grippy on all the current Citadel pots.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I certainly have issues with droppers, but I don't find it's because paint has clogged them. There are ones I've been able to open up and verify - with no paint in them once they're washed out - that the plastic tip just doesn't actually have an opening in it. I just keep a pin and a partially uncurled paper clip nearby and poke a hole into any dropper that isn't dispensing properly. Can't think of a time I've really had trouble since I started doing that.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    P3 pots would be the best if the flap for opening the lid didn't break, causing me to require a screwdriver just to open it.
    That fact places those pots at the bottom of the list for me.

They don't anymore. The hinges and flaps were updated several years ago.

• Options
    Droppers are superior to me for a single, simple reason - easier to consistently thin paints when I can actually measure one side of the equation, even if it's fairly imprecisely.

• Options
    Can anyone recommend some steel agitator beads that won't rust and screw up all this new scale 75 paint I have?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Scalecolor is probably too thick.

• Options

Ahhhh, too bad.

I'll have to keep using my drill/holesaw as a vortex mixer :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Was planning on painting something not my CSM but I ended up just painting CSM.

rTvqEGhl.jpg

I love the new CSM models so much.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

Ahhhh, too bad.

I've never had a problem just doing a normal shake on my scale 75 paints and getting good pigmentation.

What is your paint doing?

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Ahhhh, too bad.

I've never had a problem just doing a normal shake on my scale 75 paints and getting good pigmentation.

Nothing bad... I'd just read that they need more of a shake than other brands of paint

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Ahhhh, too bad.

Nothing bad... I'd just read that they need more of a shake than other brands of paint

Nah. If anything it's less. Vallejo is far worse when it comes to separation in my experience.

• Options
    All of my silver/gold metallics have finally died. Does anyone have a preferred brand? I used to have Reaper brand gold nd silver, but they were not good.

• Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    All of my silver/gold metallics have finally died. Does anyone have a preferred brand? I used to have Reaper brand gold nd silver, but they were not good.

Scale75 at the very top of the list. Their Black Metal is just ... /chefkiss

Citadel, P3, and Vallejo Model Air/ Metal Color are all great.

Stay away from Reaper, Army Painter, and Vallejo Game/Model Color. Their metallics are all sparkly poop.

• Options
    I'll have to get the Scale 75. The ones I have so far are some of the best paints I've worked with.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

This is why GW make those rubber pot stands which are actually quite good and grippy on all the current Citadel pots.

Selling a rubber foot that prevents your brand's paint pots from tipping over due to their top-heavy construction is the most "Games Workshop" thing I've heard of in a while.

• Options
    Koreg wrote: »

Scale75 at the very top of the list. Their Black Metal is just ... /chefkiss

Citadel, P3, and Vallejo Model Air/ Metal Color are all great.

Stay away from Reaper, Army Painter, and Vallejo Game/Model Color. Their metallics are all sparkly poop.

Do you have any examples of the black metal color? I've been looking for something to paint the non-armor plate parts of my dreadnoughts and I was getting ready to use vallejo metal color burnt iron and then gun metal grey over that but if I can save a step I'd like to.