As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Went and set a time, with a custom setup because that's what I do.
    3tcjci05ncl3.jpg
    Number 385 in the world

Edit: Added a Notes section to the times to mark Custom Setup, since it does make a difference. I bet that was a huge part of why the Sim racers were consistently better than the real F1 drivers over this last weekend.

Veevee on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Nice! Fix my sector 2 and I ought to be right on your time there. Just, you know, don’t be going improving your time any more, k?

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Sector 2 is a killer. The hairpins are just such an odd braking area.

That said, I strung together a 1:29.716. If I can clean up that middle sector, I will feel pretty happy.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Turn 10 really requires you to be comfortable with trailbraking to get the best out of the corner.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Once he finally gets 3 curved monitors in front of him instead of that square monstrosity his transition will be complete.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    or a VR headset.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Is VR supported for the 2020 PS4 game? If it does, I might have to grab that...

• Options
    iRacing and some other racing games do, but the Codemasters games do not.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    Dirt Rally 2.0 does, and it's bloody outstanding.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Once he finally gets 3 curved monitors in front of him instead of that square monstrosity his transition will be complete.

I'm honestly not sure if I should aim for a triple monitor setup or VR. I kind of like the idea of VR, but it's probably the only thing I would use it for (maybe flight sims?)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Triples don't touch VR for immersion. Like, not even close. On a scale of 1-10 of immersion, a normal monitor might be a 1, triples might be a 3, and VR is 9.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Oh, you may have got me to rethink my setup strategy. I've been looking at monitors and cheap TVs for the last couple days, but maybe VR is the the better way to go.

My setup looks like this:
    So my thought had been to wall mount a small (32-43) tv to the side wall, on a full reticulated wall mount. Either that or get a 27 inch curved monitor (preferably 1440p). Then just permanently setup the wheel directly underneath and just have to pull in the perfectly adequate Ikea chair I use with it. Would make reaching the keyboard and mouse easier as well. VR would simply this. The question is, which is easier to convince my wife on. :)

EDIT: And yeah, my 'puter lives in a closet. Small spare bedroom, and my wife has her work desk setup directly behind the picture. My plan is actually to paint the interior of the closet black/dark grey, and put some shelves in the sides (for my camera gear).

oldmanken on
  • Options
    VR is a lot less intrusive when not being used, since it's just a cable coiled around a headset.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Just gonna throw this in here too in case anyone does not have DiRT Rally 1.0 yet. Open to PA Steam groups.
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i had triple monitors at one point and let me tell you... it is way less worth it than you think

big big single monitor with nice FOV.... from there the next cost effective step is VR goggles.

• Options
    Oculus S seems like the best way to go for me. I don't want to go crazy on an Index, so I think the S is probably the most feasible.

• Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Just gonna throw this in here too in case anyone does not have DiRT Rally 1.0 yet. Open to PA Steam groups.
    signature.png

I would love to take advantage, but I already have Dirt Rally 2.0... someone else must take advantage of the joys of Dirt Rally.

I wonder if the times are comparable between 1.0 and 2.0. I have essentially everything for 2.0, so maybe I could run trials in that?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    1.0 and 2.0 are quite different games when it comes to the tracks.

edit: oh wait, I'm thinking of Dirt 4. FFFF that game.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    That reminds me, I have a leftover Assetto Corsa (not Competizione) + Dream Pack 1-3 from a Humble Bundle, in case anyone is interesting in Corsing their Assetto's.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I have Dirt Rally 2.0! Got in a Humble Bundle with my 2017 F1 for PC, I'm going to have to move the wheel/pedals over and try that later today. No VR yet mind you, but soon(tm).

• Options
    We should definitely do some Dirt Rally trials. The versions may be different, but I can't imagine the timing is that far off on the same stages.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    That reminds me, I have a leftover Assetto Corsa (not Competizione) + Dream Pack 1-3 from a Humble Bundle, in case anyone is interesting in Corsing their Assetto's.

@Drovek I would take that actually!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I have got to stop hitting curbs while turning and applying throttle.

This is F1, not Formula D!

I beg to differ, it is currently Formula David. I have the some of the highest times recorded and therefore am winning.

Oh yeah? Then use a chassis from the 1960s when all the drivers used to four-wheel drift through faster corners and see what times you set... :-D

• Options
    I have got to stop hitting curbs while turning and applying throttle.

This is F1, not Formula D!

I beg to differ, it is currently Formula David. I have the some of the highest times recorded and therefore am winning.

Oh yeah? Then use a chassis from the 1960s when all the drivers used to four-wheel drift through faster corners and see what times you set... :-D

The times shall be the largest numbers ever.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Coming soon: Grand Prix Legends hot laps?

That would be terrifying!

• Options

• Options
    edited March 2020
    sim racing PA comic!

dntkeay0aff1.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doesn't everybody just buy an 85 inch 4K tv for their sim racing rig? Sit 6 feet away and it'll fill most of your field of view!

• Options
  • Options
    Dang, these Veevee setups work pretty well. My sector 2 is still lagging behind though.
    ubtzQwt.jpg

Down to a 1:30.427 time.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    zl41cakss2if.jpg

1:28.921.

I'm struggling to get on with this car, I don't mind admitting. There's probably time to be found everywhere.

As you can see I was getting some consistent times with screw-ups that were enough to invalidate the lap. It was trying to nail down a decent time while staying in track limits; for a while there it was either/or.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I’m still purple sector 1. Yay! Small victories!

• Options
    A thousandth of a second still counts! :+1:

• Options
    I find the damn thing locks up under braking really easily.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »

It spins super easily too if I'm even slightly heavy-footed on the corner exit phase. Turn 10 in particular.

• Options
    See, that I disagree with... I can't get the thing to spin at all. When it does lose traction, it merely drifts rather than straight out spinning.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

It spins super easily too if I'm even slightly heavy-footed on the corner exit phase. Turn 10 in particular.

For me turn 1 is the problem spot. I can take it consistently in 2nd gear, but when I'm able to drop it down to first and keep it straight I'm at least .2 seconds ahead by the next time I hit the brakes again.

Also, I'll be around most of the night and all weekend if anyone wants to get in some multiplayer. If I am on steam I should be able to race, send me a message

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

That's probably your weight distribution? Try setting it more rear-wards and see if that helps.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Still fiddling with the setup, still hating T10.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.